HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Prime: Pronger or Leetch

View Poll Results: Prime: Leetch or Pronger
Chris Pronger 67 70.53%
Brian Leetch 28 29.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
  #26
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Pronger and it isn't even close.

Leech sucked in his own zone and Pronger provided tons of off sense and he was of the hardest guys to get past for years. His meanstreak is legendary.

He willed the Oilers to the finals.

You clearly didn't watch Leetch if you're going to make statements like this asinine chestnut here.

Leetch was fantastic in his own zone. Fan-****ing-tastic. Terrific gap control. He would constantly force forwards wide and use his underrated hip-check along the boards. He had the speed to keep up with any skater in the league (aside for Bure). Had the intensity to consistently win 1-on-1 battles.

His IQ was through the roof.

The fact that he was a gentlemen and didn't goon it up doesn't mean he was soft, or easy to play against.

If Brian didn't have the offensive game that made him one of the best dmen in this sports history, he still would have been an above average NHL player based on his ability to defend.

"Sucked in his own zone" is an insult to anyone who was fortunate enough to watch Leetch throughout his career.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:18 AM
  #27
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Pronger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Between Pronger and Leetch, the choice is Pronger easily.

The harder decision would be between Pronger and Chelios.
Yeah, it would be very good poll.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
  #28
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You clearly didn't watch Leetch if you're going to make statements like this asinine chestnut here.

Leetch was fantastic in his own zone. Fan-****ing-tastic. Terrific gap control. He would constantly force forwards wide and use his underrated hip-check along the boards. He had the speed to keep up with any skater in the league (aside for Bure). Had the intensity to consistently win 1-on-1 battles.

His IQ was through the roof.

The fact that he was a gentlemen and didn't goon it up doesn't mean he was soft, or easy to play against.

If Brian didn't have the offensive game that made him one of the best dmen in this sports history, he still would have been an above average NHL player based on his ability to defend.

"Sucked in his own zone" is an insult to anyone who was fortunate enough to watch Leetch throughout his career.
Leetch was dominant in all 3 zones, all 200 feet. He doesn't get credit for his defense because he didn't rack PIMs and put guys through the glass. Somehow that's only acceptable if you're Nick Lidstrom. I don't know if that's just a Detroit thing, but besides him every other non-physical defender is just tossed under the bus around here.

__________________


DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:29 PM
  #29
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
That's a really narrow view of it. You won't find many people who think that Leetch was overall a better playoff performer than Pronger.
You mean, Leetch, the player who literally had one of the most explosive Conn Smythe runs in NHL history? He put up 34 points in 23 games a defense man. And he put up 97 points in 95 career games in the post season.

Now, I'm not saying Pronger wasn't outstanding in the playoffs, but the bottom line is that Leetch is one of the few players who has a Conn Smythe like that on his resume and averaged over a PPG in the post season. For Pronger, he never won one. And sure, that does have to be taken into consideration.

In terms of prime, I'd go with Leetch as a no brainer. Solid in his own defensive end, obviously not in the same class as Pronger, but he was in a completely different hemisphere offensively.

And no, Leetch wasn't like Green or Karlsson. He was much better than BOTH defensively (although Karlsson is much better than people give him credit for). The problem is, people see big numbers from a defender and they're like "WHOA! He isn't doing his job defensively." The thing that made Leetch so special in his prime, and even set himself apart from other elite offensive defense man was that he wasn't just average defensively, he was solid. You don't have to rattle bones to be an asset on the ice.

Prime Leetch was one of the best defense men ever. That said, his prime was short, and over the course of their career, someone can definitely make the claim that Pronger was better and I'd totally respect that. Pronger was one of the best all around defense men of his time and probably the best playoff performing defense man of his time. I just don't think his peak was where Leetch's was.

Sure, Pronger has a Hart and for a defense men that is monumental! But 2x Norris > 1x Norris. 1x Conn Smythe > 0x Conn Smythe. And Leetch also won a Calder over him too.

People always vote the Gritty North American and unfortunately, Leetch only has one of those. I'm sure most of the people voting for Pronger are also the people who voted Weber over Karlsson.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
  #30
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
You mean, Leetch, the player who literally had one of the most explosive Conn Smythe runs in NHL history? He put up 34 points in 23 games a defense man. And he put up 97 points in 95 career games in the post season.

Now, I'm not saying Pronger wasn't outstanding in the playoffs, but the bottom line is that Leetch is one of the few players who has a Conn Smythe like that on his resume and averaged over a PPG in the post season. For Pronger, he never won one. And sure, that does have to be taken into consideration.
It should also be taken into consideration that Pronger was a better playoff player than Leetch. The Smythe is nice and symbolic, but anyone who has carefully watched both will conclude Pronger to be better. Leetch even in his prime could not have brought the 2006 Oilers to the Cup finals.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:24 PM
  #31
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
It should also be taken into consideration that Pronger was a better playoff player than Leetch. The Smythe is nice and symbolic, but anyone who has carefully watched both will conclude Pronger to be better. Leetch even in his prime could not have brought the 2006 Oilers to the Cup finals.
And you're basing this on what?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
  #32
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And you're basing this on what?
He was an excellent puck mover, but I doubt he would have been able to lead a team the way Pronger did. That Rangers team needed both Messier & Leetch.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:51 PM
  #33
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
He was an excellent puck mover, but I doubt he would have been able to lead a team the way Pronger did. That Rangers team needed both Messier & Leetch.
And that Edmonton team needed Roloson playing out of his mind and Fernando Pisani, yes Fernando Pisani, scoring 14 goals in 24 games. The whole team got hot and alot of guys played way above what they actually are. It wasn't just Pronger.

Pronger was key to the Oilers in '06 but no more than Leetch to the Rangers in '94.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:59 PM
  #34
Evincar
Your Final Judgement
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And that Edmonton team needed Roloson playing out of his mind and Fernando Pisani, yes Fernando Pisani, scoring 14 goals in 24 games. The whole team got hot and alot of guys played way above what they actually are. It wasn't just Pronger.

Pronger was key to the Oilers in '06 but no more than Leetch to the Rangers in '94.
Agreed. Pronger's 2006 playoffs was great but I think it gets a little overrated on these boards.


Last edited by Evincar: 02-01-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:01 PM
  #35
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And that Edmonton team needed Roloson playing out of his mind and Fernando Pisani, yes Fernando Pisani, scoring 14 goals in 24 games. The whole team got hot and alot of guys played way above what they actually are. It wasn't just Pronger.

Pronger was key to the Oilers in '06 but no more than Leetch to the Rangers in '94.
That Rangers team was loaded with talent. They were favorites to win the Cup heading into the season. The '06 Oilers were expected to finish near last.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:29 AM
  #36
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf
 
RealisticLeaf55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, On.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,847
vCash: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
That Rangers team was loaded with talent. They were favorites to win the Cup heading into the season. The '06 Oilers were expected to finish near last.
That's a lie. Pretty sure McKenzie had you guys posted for a good playoff run.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:10 AM
  #37
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
The fact that Pronger is better leader means also that he is better player?
Anyway, I voted for Pronger, but I can see arguments for Leetch.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:31 PM
  #38
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe
 
Vdhawan89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Pronger. Unreal in the defensive zone, could put up wicked offensive numbers and had a mean streak. Probably one of the most well rounded dmen of all time imo.

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
  #39
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,164
vCash: 500
At their peaks I actually think it is easily Leetch. Over their careers it could be different, but this is easy for me.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.