HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Time for refs to be able to review dangerous hits?

Old
02-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Realm

vCash: 500
Time for refs to be able to review dangerous hits?

In the NBA the refs can review fouls on the court to determine flagerant foul or how severe it should be called. The speed of hockey compared to basketball makes these calls much harder on the fly. Tonight the refs blew the non call on Erskine as he clearly elbowed Simmonds, and in the Blues game they called Backes for a major and a game for a hit to the head when he never even made contact. Hits to the head should be reviewed on the spot is my belief.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Regina Pat
Who Cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
In the NBA the refs can review fouls on the court to determine flagerant foul or how severe it should be called. The speed of hockey compared to basketball makes these calls much harder on the fly. Tonight the refs blew the non call on Erskine as he clearly elbowed Simmonds, and in the Blues game they called Backes for a major and a game for a hit to the head when he never even made contact. Hits to the head should be reviewed on the spot is my belief.
I ref minor hockey myself, and at times, I find it difficult to make major calls on the fly. It can obviously be much more difficult with the big bodies of the NHL flying around, but even with little 11 year olds zipping around when they don't really know how to hit? Christ.

On the other hand, calling penalties after a play stopage does seem weird.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I would be fine with it if it was quick and if it also allowed them to either reduce or remove penalties for clean hits.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
It seems insane that refs can later call penalties after initially not calling one, but you can't call a penalty and then call it off after further review.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
It seems insane that refs can later call penalties after initially not calling one, but you can't call a penalty and then call it off after further review.
I completely agree.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Kloparren
Hth

How about time to review refs? Especially with 2 of them on the ice, sad.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
How about time to review refs? Especially with 2 of them on the ice, sad.
Refs in every sport suck. There is just little incentive for them to improve. I say give them a reason to improve (improve or be sent down to the AHL). And don't give them all sorts of chances. If they don't improve quickly, they are gone.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:33 PM
JinzoBlaze

who watches the watchmen?

JinzoBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Ogopogo*

It is time for professional sports leagues to allow reviews of EVERY single type of play. There is no excuse in this day and age for screwing up calls as badly as referees and video officials do every night.

Each coach should be allowed one challenge per game on ANYTHING they want. Not allowing replays on certain types of plays is completely asinine. Games are won and lost in all sorts of ways - why have bad calls ruin games?

It is appalling how badly every pro sport has ********* up instant replay. The concept is to make the right call, it is pathetic how they cannot actually do it.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:56 PM
sh724

I would not have a problem with refs reviewing penalties that there is a possibility of a major being called and that is it. Minors should never be reviewed. Too many reviews just slows that game down kills the flow and makes it boring. People hate the NFL because of how long it takes between plays if you start reviewing everything that is how the NHL will end up. Keep it really simple! Review scoring plays like they do now and review any time there is a possibility for a major penalty. No coach initiated reviews no reviews on icing off sides etc.

Reviews
1) Goal? Yes or No
2) Major Penalty? Yes or No

Anything more than that and the game takes to long as reviews drag on. All goals are already reviewed by independent people (well the people probably have some bias but they are not directly involved in the game). If the ref wants to call a major let Toronto review it as well.

Also the NHL needs more authority when it comes to the referees. The league should be able to punish refs. Not allowing some one to ref in the POs is not enough to get refs to improve.

NHL: Ref you suck you get to start vacation 2 months early
Ref: but, but, but...i tried really hard will you please let me work longer instead of spending time with my family?

sh724 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Affinity

We have the technology I don't see why they don't review questionable calls/hits/etc... I trust a video replay more than the human eye.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:41 PM
aemoreira1981

Absolutely. While I would leave goal review calls to the war room in Toronto, there should be a monitor in each arena by the timekeeper that is used to review any penalty that could be called at least a major involving a hit to the head or attempt to injure (other than a fighting major).

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:59 AM
Bruv
Loveless

vCash: 50
refs suck

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Hynh

I would give each team 1 timeout per period, with the option to use them to challenge major penalties or goals.

For penalties it has to be completely overruled/severe enough to be a major. If a player does slash someone for example, it must be worthy of a major penalty. If a major is called the play must be ruled clean, not simply reduced to a 2 minute call.

For goals it can be anything currently reviewable plus offsides, icings and the puck being out of play (off the netting for example). All challenges must be issued before the faceoff. Any flagrantly wrong challenges will be rule delay of game since the challenge will take longer than a regular timeout.

TV networks would love to have more timeouts called because they can fit more ads in, boosting the value of each broadcast.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
Also the NHL needs more authority when it comes to the referees. The league should be able to punish refs. Not allowing some one to ref in the POs is not enough to get refs to improve.

NHL: Ref you suck you get to start vacation 2 months early
Ref: but, but, but...i tried really hard will you please let me work longer instead of spending time with my family?
Don't refs get paid by the game? Imagine getting your pay cut by 20% for poor performance.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:26 AM
Nose of Sutter

I think if a player gets hurt off a hit, it should be reviewable to see if it was clean or not then ***** penalties and what not from there.

Nose of Sutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:45 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose of Sutter View Post
I think if a player gets hurt off a hit, it should be reviewable to see if it was clean or not then ***** penalties and what not from there.
Unfortunately with this you'd probably see a lot more guys faking injuries in order to draw a review.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:47 AM
TCL40

I would have no problem with refs reviewing any kind of hit that would be 5 and a game. I would rather them review it.

I can see a "call stands on the ice" if the evidence is inconclusive.

I would not want to see this for minor penalties though. It would clog up the game.

Most games don't have major penalties so it wouldn't slow the game down if it was mostly for determining major vs minor vs didn't actually happen.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Propane Nightmares
Takes guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Refs in every sport suck. There is just little incentive for them to improve. I say give them a reason to improve (improve or be sent down to the AHL). And don't give them all sorts of chances. If they don't improve quickly, they are gone.
To be replaced by who?

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Absolutely. While I would leave goal review calls to the war room in Toronto, there should be a monitor in each arena by the timekeeper that is used to review any penalty that could be called at least a major involving a hit to the head or attempt to injure (other than a fighting major).
I would just add a 5th referee that watches the game on a monitor. Of course he would probably only catch the hits that happen on screen but it would still improve uncalled penalties. He could push a button or raise his hand moments after the hit happens and they could call a penalty.

Reviewing a penalty that shouldn't have been a penalty would be a little tougher but wouldn't take that long if the 5th ref had quick access to replays.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:31 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
The league already reviews some major penalties in the sense that Shanahan levies fines for hits to the head, etc, (or not). I don't see a practical way to do this in-game. Even Shanahan's reviews include hearings where he talks to the players involved before making a decision. (I know he's not well loved, but I actually think he does a decent job of explaining his reasoning and tries to be consistent. The problem is that the rules have not been written clearly enough up to this point.)

I'd much rather that officials game grades are made public, and that its possible to get an "F" for a game and get suspended for the next one. You have to have a few alternates that can fill in if someone gets suspended, but a little more open system for grading the refs would be nice.

I recognize that reffing is a very difficult job, and that no one is going to get it right every time. But things like the Backes hit, it should have been pretty easy to get the input from all the guys on the ice, and realize that the guy calling it behind the play didn't have the best view.

I appreciate the league trying to take headshots out of the game. My team has lost guys to preventable concussions in the past. I'd rather see star players in the league playing than sitting out with concussions, but I also still enjoy the physical play.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:21 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
Don't refs get paid by the game? Imagine getting your pay cut by 20% for poor performance.
Yes but they make plenty during the regular season to support a family. Its not like they need the extra money unless they are as bad at handling money as they are at officiating

sh724 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:34 PM
MadLuke

Have someone looking at the game in real times and assists them.

Between the time the refere stop the play and they announce the penalty the replay guy could have help him with the call (or remove the penalty), it have to be flagrant to change the call, so it could be fast.

Just don't wait for a ref to call upstair that would be too long.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
MadLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
I would just add a 5th referee that watches the game on a monitor. Of course he would probably only catch the hits that happen on screen but it would still improve uncalled penalties. He could push a button or raise his hand moments after the hit happens and they could call a penalty.

Reviewing a penalty that shouldn't have been a penalty would be a little tougher but wouldn't take that long if the 5th ref had quick access to replays.
This sorry, did not see it before writing mine.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote