HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Wayne Gretzky: Generational Judge of Talent

Old
01-30-2013, 03:52 PM
octopi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
didn't gretz say that crosby will break his records?
he must have meant his vinyl records, because I doubt Crosby is going to get the NHL ones.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:37 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
he must have meant his vinyl records, because I doubt Crosby is going to get the NHL ones.
He was asked if sees someone that could break his records.. Gretzky answered that Crosby could. He was like 15 at the time iirc.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:41 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Crosby's the best, but Zetterberg is the best over 30?

Is he aware that Pavel Datsyuk is also over 30 and plays on the same team? I guess Teemu selanne and Jagr are the best (and only?)over 40....
1) Zetterberg has consistently outplayed Crosby in head to head competition. He dominated Crosby head-to-head in two consecutive Cup finals; without Malkin's amazing performance and a lucky(?) decision from the league office, the Penguins would have lost in 2009.

2) There are only a handful I can think of than Selanne or Jagr. Nicklas Lidstrom... and he's retired. Dominik Hasek if he unretired could potentially be as good. And Sergei Fedorov was doing pretty well in the KHL last year and didn't officially retire. The New NHL would certainly favor his skating abilities. But I don't think the last two would reach the level of Selanne or Jagr. Ray Whitney is the only active NHL player I can think of on the level of Selanne and Jagr who is 40+.

3) Zetterberg has led the Red Wings in scoring for three years, has been their playoff MVP for several years running, save one season where he was injured for the entire first round, and came back in the second round and played well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJonas View Post
Looking strictly at playoff/tournament performance, Zetterberg has a legitimate case for best Swedish player of the 00s, but not all in all.
Since 2000, based on playoffs/tournaments alone, Zetterberg is easily #1 among Swedes. It's not close. For regular season performance alone, I would rank Zetterberg fourth among Swedes to this point. I would rank him third, possibly second, among playoff performers; however I'd rank the top three (Lidstrom/Forsberg/Zetterberg) all very close. Overall Zetterberg probably belongs in either the #3 or #4 spot, depending on how heavily you weight regular season vs. playoffs - determining whether he moves ahead of Sundin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
I don't even think Zetterberg is in the top 3 Swedes of all time, let alone the greatest.
See my above argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Gretzky doesn't even think he himself is greatest player of all time. He still to this day maintains its Howe.
Credibility +1 to Gretzky.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
If the game of hockey was never invented Gretzky would be a drywall finisher in Ontario.

Its OK to say that he was only really good at hockey you know.
Boss: "Wayne, why are here, the framing has not even been done?"

Gretzky: "I don't come to where the work is, I come to where the work is going to be"

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
If the game of hockey was never invented Gretzky would be a drywall finisher in Ontario.

You know this how? Were you his high school Biology teacher or something?

I think he is, in general, very well spoken and quite articulate. I am not saying he is a MENSA member or anything, but people on here act as if he is as dumb as that sack of hammers Ovechkin.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Machinehead
Get Well Gordie

I really think Gretzky is in his own world when it comes to hockey. He has no clue what's going on with us mortals.

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:41 PM
MessierII

Quote:

Actually he was really good at baseball too and could have played for the blue jays. They offered him a contract and everything.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:48 AM
TAnnala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Boss: "Wayne, why are here, the framing has not even been done?"

Gretzky: "I don't come to where the work is, I come to where the work is going to be"
Oh lord! This made me spill my morning coffe(y). Great one!

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Thesensation19

I believe Gretzky meant that Crosby is currently the best player. Yet, in the last decade he believes Henrik Zetterberg has been the best player. We look heavily at stats and say NOPE. Yet its not a proper way to judge a player. Yet we do it all the time, ALL THE TIME.

If he believes Zetterberg has been the best player in the last 10 years than I am sure he has solid reasons why. I mean its not like he went out and said some no-body. This is Henrik Zetterberg. Up until 2 years ago with injuries and all he was a top offensive player and an even better defensive player. Its not how many stats he racks up, but what does he do with the puck in his zone or where is he located without the puck. How does he look come crunch time, how does he look in the 3rd? I am sure he sees a smart player on both sides of the puck and he has every right to say that in the last 10 years. There is a reason why he was chosen Captain of Detroit which I believe is one of the biggest honors because they dont just throw those at anyone.

In 2007, Wayne Gretzky also stated that he believes Zetterberg is the most underrated player in the game today. And in talking about stats, I am shocked we dont talk more about him. A consistent 70+ point scorer, hitting over 80 3x and 90 once. Thats a lot for a guy whose been back and forth on the top 2 lines, playing winger/center and a ton more defensive responsibilities added to that. Hes also not too far off from a ppg and in the playoffs hes even better! Stanley Cup winner in 2008 and Conn Smyth as well as helping his team return the following year. Pretty much one of the most consistent and overall players so its not that crazy... And this is not a guy who had 20 goals and 50 assists. This was a well rounded scorer and playmaker

Guys who you can place in his class over the last 10 years is
1) Jaromir Jagr- Had years of brilliance but also had years in the KHL and bad years in Washington and now old.
2) Forsberg- His best years were in the 90's. He then had years of severe injuries. Cant really proclaim the guy better and he only have back once since 2008 so its taking away from last decade.
3) Lidstrom- Guy is obviously a legend but something tells me he was reffering to forward. But also understand he retired so Gretzky was talking about relative players

I do believe it was not to shabby of a choice. The Kyle Turris comments were fair as well. And telling Shultz to go to Edm is fine by me too. I am sure honestly he gave him best advice. Go play for a team full of youth that will grow with you. Where was he going to go? NYR, where he might not play as much or too much media attention for a kid his age? Honest opinion and thats fine by me.

No one should ever listen to any analyst, expert, reporter, scout, ex-player even if hes a legen about whose the "best". But at leats his thoughts were fair and honorable

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Thesensation19

Gretzky was not REALLY GOOD at hockey. Gretzky, though he does not realize it, was a genius at the game. It was a game he mastered. You dont put up 200 points a handful of times the way he did on a consistent basis and say he was really good. As a kid the guy put up 600 points in a youth league being 4 years younger than his teammates and competition.

And what else would he do? You act as though Hockey was the only sport he played. He was a stellar baseball player and lacrosse athlete. Hockey was his favorite so he stuck with it.

If there were no sports? He would probably be like his brothers or father and work hard and teaching kids or man labor. who cares lol

If there were no blogs, or internet... what would any of you be to me?

Old
01-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Good to hear as a Sens fan! Gretzky has called a zillion guys the best. He is the king of hyperbole... but if he is this excited about Turris then it must be for a reason.

Watching Turris since he came to Ottawa he does have great hockey sense.
He never said Player A was the best than a day later said Player B was the best.

He said in that interview... that Crosby is the best player today. He said Henrik Zetterberg has been the best player in the last 10 years. He said Kyle Turris has one of the best hockey sense in the game NEXT TO Brad Richards and Sid the Kid.

So Since 2001- he says Henrik Zetterberg. And thats pretty fair choice, once again. Hes a great two way player... consistent at scoring, and playmaking. And beyond stats, watch his game. A simply beautiful mind what to do with and without the puck. Gretzky probably says to himself, what would i do when watching a game and then he sees Zetta doing most of it. Nothing is wrong with saying Zetta was the best in the last 10 years. It doesnt mean its true... its an opinion.

Then the YOUNG Sidney Crosby has started to emerge as a great player in the last few years. And I am sure 10 years from now he will say Crosby has been the best.

To say Kyle Turris is a great hockey mind doesnt mean much... maybe he does emerge but I am sure when Gretzky watches him he sees a guy who does a lot of things right. He coached him meaning he was with him 24/7 at times and watched evey sec of the kid.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Gretzky is still saying that Fuhr is the best goaltender ever and Paul Coffey the 2nd best defenseman ever.
Once again, how do you not say that Fuhr- your teammate for years- who helped you win 4 Stanley Cups and another one when you leave- is not the best. Its a fair choice.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Spectra
Registered boozer

I take the opinion of the Great One when it comes to the game of hockey over anyone who posts on HFBoards...

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
You know this how? Were you his high school Biology teacher or something?

I think he is, in general, very well spoken and quite articulate. I am not saying he is a MENSA member or anything, but people on here act as if he is as dumb as that sack of hammers Ovechkin.
just playing thats all

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:09 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Well it looks like at least one person took Gretzky seriously.

Z with 3 goals 2 helpers in a 5-3 win.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:53 PM
sullivan*

I would take Lidstrom, Forsberg, and Salming over Zetterberg.

But that is it.

Zetterberg, at his peak, is better than Sundin ever was. He just hasn't put up the career numbers yet, due to not having played long enough.

sullivan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:15 PM
JinzoBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
He also said he thought Hemsky could be the best player in the game. Hemsky.

Hemsky.
I was gonna post this but I thought he said Sam Gagner, equally as bad.

JinzoBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Hey! Don't put an end to the Gretzky slamfest! These guys were having fun saying how dumb he is. Too much truth kills a good troll thread.
He was a terrible coach in Phoenix. I wouldn't say he's especially dumb for a hockey player, but that's not saying a lot.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:02 AM
DeYarmond Edison
#fireholland

Whats wrong with Hank?

DeYarmond Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:28 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Are you really that surprised that a generational talent like Gretzky sucks at evaluating talent? I mean you can clearly see this with Michael Jordan and his mind-boggling and bad basketball decisions with the Bobcats. It always seems that the more talented you are, the less knowledge you have of what it takes to be successful in the big leagues.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote