Notices

Lightning keep Jets grounded - 8-3 - "Hit the reset button"

Old
02-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
It's easy to see Redmond and Postma having long NHL careers even this early in. There may be some rough nights in the first year or two though.

Scheifele is caught in a numbers game. We have 10 forwards to fit on 3 lines. The second he gets sent down, one of them will be injured and we'll be faced with calling up another checker from St.J.
Yup, i have the same dream/nightmare.

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:37 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Honestly...

Remove a questionable 5 min major in the beginning and give a ~.9 sv% and that would have been a very different game...

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

I missed the last period but heard the sheifele was moved up to the second line. How did he look there? Did he get much time?

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:06 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 84
The lockout seems to have done nothing but hurt Pavs. Ignore the numbers and just watch and he looks like he's gone backwards somehow.

And I'm getting déjà vu with the pk. Lol

BigTuna49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

You would think with all this pk practice they should be pretty good now!

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
You would think with all this pk practice they should be pretty good now!
Yeah, but all they have to practice against is our Powerplay.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:20 AM
digmor crusher

Habs fan here, Jets being my 2nd favourite team. Just a few comments on the team this year.

#55, not impressed so far. Falls down a lot, is not burying the chances he gets and plays pretty soft. Send him down.

Your goalie is not an elite goalie, just an average goalie who makes the occasional spectacular save.

Poni, Antropov, Wellwood, Jokinen, all band aid solutions, guys past their prime, Jets need to start developing young guys like Ottawa. You can have 1 or 2 of these guys on a successful team but not 4.

That is all.
Sincerely sammy d

digmor crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:24 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
Habs fan here, Jets being my 2nd favourite team. Just a few comments on the team this year.

#55, not impressed so far. Falls down a lot, is not burying the chances he gets and plays pretty soft. Send him down.

Your goalie is not an elite goalie, just an average goalie who makes the occasional spectacular save.

Poni, Antropov, Wellwood, Jokinen, all band aid solutions, guys past their prime, Jets need to start developing young guys like Ottawa. You can have 1 or 2 of these guys on a successful team but not 4.

That is all.
Sincerely sammy d
1) Scheifele has given more effort than most of the Jets. It's his 4th game this year. He'll probably go down but it's not due to being unimpressive.

2) Pavelec has played poorly, no question there.

3) Antropov came up with the Thrashers. The other signings ARE band-aid solutions. There aren't many solid young guys in the organization to develop. So you aren't saying anything wrong there, but the thinking behind them is fine. Jokinen has been quite good the past few games, I think.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:42 AM
dhfromkw

Probably gonna rep a Thrashers jersey at the game on Thursday against the Leafs. Just to, y'know, get comfortable with this slump.

dhfromkw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhfromkw View Post
Probably gonna rep a Thrashers jersey at the game on Thursday against the Leafs. Just to, y'know, get comfortable with this slump.
HEY!

....yeah, seems appropriate.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:57 AM
HPsauce

Where the hell is Wheeler's passion?

That guy was super passionate about playing, winning, and all those good things. If things didn't go his way it wasn't uncommon to see him getting straight up pissed.

Did he leave his heart in Germany?

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:48 AM
Jet
BrYahn Liiiitulll

vCash: 50
What a sobering few days for Jets fans.

If you are optimistic, you see a record of 3-4-1 with Bogo and Byfuglien out and say to yourself "could be worse"

If you are realistic, you start to think about all the games.

vs. Ottawa: Flat and ugly most the game. Not great goaltending from Pavelec
at Boston: A pretty gritty effort. Used size and speed to our advantage. Realistically though, we played the Bruins close all last year too and were not a playoff team
at Washington: Face it, Washington was ass. It didn't take much for us to beat them.
vs. Pittsburgh: Yes, a pretty inspiring win, but we got in a 0-2 hole and Pavelec wasn't great in the first. If we would have gotten into penalty trouble in that game we probably would have been sunk.
vs. New York: Nice to battle back, a game we would have most likely lost under the same circumstances last year. Goaltending wasn't great, but good enough for a backup I suppose.

I won't even break down the last 3 losses, since we just lived them all. Too many penalties, horribad penalty killing and sub par goaltending.

We aren't really any further ahead than we were last year which really really disappoints me. With our increase in size, players settled into the new market and systems, and more mature by a year, I expected more from this team. I wanted to see anger and passion when we got down in games. I am not seeing that. I am seeing quit.

I know, I know. We are 8 games in. That is however 17% of the season. The goaltending is a real issue. As a matter of fact, I will go as far as to say it is hurting us in ever facet of the game. The guys don't have confidence in the goaltending. That really takes the piss out of you. You are scared to play, and be agressive. Your penalty killing isn't good enough. You get into holes too easily, and when you mount offense and a guy like Anderson shows you real starting goaltending, it's demoralizing.

I said at the beginning of the year that goaltending would determine our fate (not rocket science I know and echoed by many here). Looks like it is playing out like that right now.

We have to hope to god Pavelec gets hot. In this short season, we could be out of it quick.

02-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Jets
All hat, no cattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
What a sobering few days for Jets fans.

If you are optimistic, you see a record of 3-4-1 with Bogo and Byfuglien out and say to yourself "could be worse"

If you are realistic, you start to think about all the games.

vs. Ottawa: Flat and ugly most the game. Not great goaltending from Pavelec
at Boston: A pretty gritty effort. Used size and speed to our advantage. Realistically though, we played the Bruins close all last year too and were not a playoff team
at Washington: Face it, Washington was ass. It didn't take much for us to beat them.
vs. Pittsburgh: Yes, a pretty inspiring win, but we got in a 0-2 hole and Pavelec wasn't great in the first. If we would have gotten into penalty trouble in that game we probably would have been sunk.
vs. New York: Nice to battle back, a game we would have most likely lost under the same circumstances last year. Goaltending wasn't great, but good enough for a backup I suppose.

I won't even break down the last 3 losses, since we just lived them all. Too many penalties, horribad penalty killing and sub par goaltending.

We aren't really any further ahead than we were last year which really really disappoints me. With our increase in size, players settled into the new market and systems, and more mature by a year, I expected more from this team. I wanted to see anger and passion when we got down in games. I am not seeing that. I am seeing quit.

I know, I know. We are 8 games in. That is however 17% of the season. The goaltending is a real issue. As a matter of fact, I will go as far as to say it is hurting us in ever facet of the game. The guys don't have confidence in the goaltending. That really takes the piss out of you. You are scared to play, and be agressive. Your penalty killing isn't good enough. You get into holes too easily, and when you mount offense and a guy like Anderson shows you real starting goaltending, it's demoralizing.

I said at the beginning of the year that goaltending would determine our fate (not rocket science I know and echoed by many here). Looks like it is playing out like that right now.

We have to hope to god Pavelec gets hot. In this short season, we could be out of it quick.
Ill just re-post what I said yesterdays post game talk, cause it agrees with you and applies here...

"This team badly, badly needs a Dustin Brown/Mike Richards type. Ladd has it, but no one else on the team does. Even when we win, it's usually on just a lot of raw talent rather than true grit. Guys like Buff and Kane are really good, and I like them, but they play really relaxed whether we're up 4 or down 4. We need more guys like Ladd who battle regardless of what the score is. (Albeit, even he isn't quite there yet either).

Also, I wonder if we can package up a few guys and flip Pavelec for a goalie. I don't hate him, but I don't love him either. He's got to be better, and he is seeming to be plateauing already early in his career. Seems like he may never make the jump from a .900/3.00 backup to a sub 3.00, .920 bonafide starter."

Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:35 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Well, did I miss anything good? I noticed that we won the rest of the game 3-2 once I went to bed.

And 3 points by Postma and Toby, that's pretty good.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:51 AM
GoldenJet89

Not trying to be a sky is falling guy. the following has been my opinion all along. and is just an opinion

this is not YET a good team. there are some good pieces, and there are some sub par pieces that i think fans over value.

i believe the jets played off the intensity of the fans last year, and the excitement of the situation, maybe leading to more wins than deserved.

we have a lot of guys that on paper look decent, but simply dont deliver often enough (wheeler, wellwood, and even ladd... yes i said it, great leader, but just dont see the high end talent from him often enough)

special teams are attrocious. coaching or personnel?

pavs may be a late bloomer, but as of now he is simply just not good enough, he was described perfectly above, a very average goalie that makes the occasional huge save... those occasional saves give him a higher reputation.. hes wildly inconsistent, this team needs a rock. we dont need to have the best goalie in the game, but we need someone we know will have a solid effort game in and game out... someone like craig anderson for example

i think as this team grows and builds through the draft the potential to be a good team is there. but as of right now i feel were out-matched by many teams in the league.. if pavs doesnt step up his game i would seriously hope that the staff look to make some sort of move to upgrade

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:53 AM
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I hate to bring this up at such a time, but my subconscious just reminded me of a post from the previous PGT:
I just got in. I guess I have to live up to my promise.

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:27 AM
GermanJetsFan
Beaver Jedi

vCash: 122
Well I guess it wasn't that bad to miss my first game of the season last night due to weekend drinks

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:55 AM
jiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Well I guess it wasn't that bad to miss my first game of the season last night due to weekend drinks
If one did not go out for drinks, this game would cause one to start drinking.

jiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:14 AM
IceCapsFanNL

LOL,

Just spit out my coffee!!

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:28 AM
SensibleGuy

The 2 points lost to FLA hurts bad. Going up against TB in the second of a back-to-back without two top defencemen on the road was never going to go well, but FLA was ripe for the pickin and we needed those points. Its going to be interesting to see what happens from here on.

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:44 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
Borderline embarassing this team is.

Last night was a pathetic joke

There is really nothing they can do about either.

No one else good to call up, and it's going to be though to make any trades for real help, because we really have nothing decent to trade, without blowing open a hole somewhere else.

Just need to ride out this season, and see what happens in July.

But, hey you never know, it's still early. They may get this ship right.
Sadly they are proving me right about not being a playoff team.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:07 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Yes, after his embarrassing play in europe, the DD arrest, and a new $$$ contract...he appears to be totally off his game - or worse, he doesn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
The lockout seems to have done nothing but hurt Pavs. Ignore the numbers and just watch and he looks like he's gone backwards somehow.

And I'm getting déjà vu with the pk. Lol

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:31 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Well, did I miss anything good? I noticed that we won the rest of the game 3-2 once I went to bed.

And 3 points by Postma and Toby, that's pretty good.
You did , Scheifele lined up at C to take the draw to open the third between Ladd and Little . He played well , spirited , forechecked well , went to the net , got PP time and imo certainly showed he should be used this way going forward.

IMO the JETS are better off to get his real baptism in , let him grow at this level and be fully prepatred for next year by having top 6/9 , PP minutes this year.

Unlike most of the team , he visibly played hard , with energy and showed a high compete level. How is that bad?

jetkarma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:43 AM
KBADCJET

It became clear to me last night, that the ONLY solution to the Jets woes will have to come from GM Kevin Cheveldayoff. Lets face it guys, we do not have the right combination of players. I have a gut feeling that we will need to say goodbye to some key players in order to make some blockbuster trades that will benefit the team long term. Its also time to spend some of David Thomson's money!

KBADCJET is offline   Reply With Quote