HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Joe Thornton the most underrated current NHL player career wise?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 11:29 PM
  #26
aemoreira1981
Registered User
 
aemoreira1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupGuru View Post
You misspelled "Datsyuk"
Can you call Datsyuk underrated though? Everyone knows about how great his hands and playmaking is---a player like Ray Whitney, however, goes under the radar (he made his first All-Star team last season at age 40, being on the second team). He was thought to be washed up after a dismal season in Detroit before the lockout.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:30 PM
  #27
TheeNorthStar
Registered User
 
TheeNorthStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,166
vCash: 500
Absolutely not. Everyone here knows hes had a great career. Its just the no cup thing. But he's definitely not underrated.

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:31 PM
  #28
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,117
vCash: 500
Joe has a personality that probably doesn't give him the intensity he needs to be "the guy" in the playoffs, but he is still a fantastic hockey player and has been one for a long time.

I still say his whole way of playing the game changed after he and Lindros fought way back. Before then, Joe was a physical beast and dangerous player physically. After, he became a playmaker and a lot more of a gentle giant. I am not sure which direction would have led him to the HHOF faster, but he has a place reserved already in my opinion.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:31 PM
  #29
Caroline Says ll
Bismarck
 
Caroline Says ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Caroline Says ll
The entire playoff argument is nonsense. For almost all of his years as a Shark he has scored at a PPG clip in the playoffs, and just because they haven't yet put it together to win a cup(a team accomplishment), he will get labeled as a choker, with no heart or drive in the playoffs.

This will be continued to get spewed by most people who don't watch him play in the playoffs, but would rather continue to spread word of mouth to make themselves sound smarter with immense hockey knowledge.

Caroline Says ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:33 PM
  #30
lsx
Registered User
 
lsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivan View Post
Number 1 currently? You would take Thornton ahead of Crosby or Malkin?
Absolutely.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:35 PM
  #31
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYarmond Edison View Post
Absolutely a great player but comes off as a huge *******.
By fans of other teams, maybe, but not by players. Joe is probably one of the more universally liked guys in the NHL.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:36 PM
  #32
aemoreira1981
Registered User
 
aemoreira1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
The problem with calling someone like Super Joe underrated is that he has been a high-profile player his entire career. Underrated would be someone who has flown under the radar for much of his career. Thornton may not be overrated, but I have a hard time calling him underrated either.

As for Hall of Fame, I don't think that Super Joe gets there...he's in the same class of players like Paul Kariya if you ask me...very good career, but not HOF-worthy.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:39 PM
  #33
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
Absolutely.
I'm the biggest Thornton fan and I'd take Crosby/Malkin over him if I had to start a team. Let's not get ridiculous.


Anyways since being moved to the Sharks, Thornton has been almost a PPG in the playoffs. Those two goose egg playoffs he put up in Boston are the only ones people seem the remember sadly.


Also no more Sharks threads pls.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:40 PM
  #34
Evincar
Your Final Judgement
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
The problem with calling someone like Super Joe underrated is that he has been a high-profile player his entire career. Underrated would be someone who has flown under the radar for much of his career. Thornton may not be overrated, but I have a hard time calling him underrated either.

As for Hall of Fame, I don't think that Super Joe gets there...he's in the same class of players like Paul Kariya if you ask me...very good career, but not HOF-worthy.
You're joking right? You know Gartner, Ciccarelli and Nieuwendyk have been inducted recently?

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:43 PM
  #35
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton
 
StreetSharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Frisco
Posts: 5,473
vCash: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post

As for Hall of Fame, I don't think that Super Joe gets there...he's in the same class of players like Paul Kariya if you ask me...very good career, but not HOF-worthy.


Too funny.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:44 PM
  #36
SharksCyclops
Registered User
 
SharksCyclops's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Says ll View Post
The entire playoff argument is nonsense. For almost all of his years as a Shark he has scored at a PPG clip in the playoffs, and just because they haven't yet put it together to win a cup(a team accomplishment), he will get labeled as a choker, with no heart or drive in the playoffs.

This will be continued to get spewed by most people who don't watch him play in the playoffs, but would rather continue to spread word of mouth to make themselves sound smarter with immense hockey knowledge.
Haha, could not have been said any better. Unfortunately this concept alludes most people, or they choose to ignore it.

SharksCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:45 PM
  #37
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,507
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
The problem with calling someone like Super Joe underrated is that he has been a high-profile player his entire career. Underrated would be someone who has flown under the radar for much of his career. Thornton may not be overrated, but I have a hard time calling him underrated either.

As for Hall of Fame, I don't think that Super Joe gets there...he's in the same class of players like Paul Kariya if you ask me...very good career, but not HOF-worthy.
I think he is the #1 player in points during the 2000-2010 decade. Not exactly sure whether it's 2001-2010 or 2000-2009 but being the leader in points for an entire decade is absolutely HOF-lock worthy.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:47 PM
  #38
JS19
Pls Sharks win
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
As for Hall of Fame, I don't think that Super Joe gets there...he's in the same class of players like Paul Kariya if you ask me...very good career, but not HOF-worthy.
You'd be surprised how many players that we never thought would make it to the HHOF, actually made it to the HHOF.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:49 PM
  #39
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 500
Tin Man is chocker

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:50 PM
  #40
aemoreira1981
Registered User
 
aemoreira1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksCyclops View Post
Haha, could not have been said any better. Unfortunately this concept alludes most people, or they choose to ignore it.
To add to that, all one needs to look at is the 2011 playoffs when the Sharks were eliminated by the Canucks...Thornton was trying his best while severely hurt. If there is a player on the Sharks who can be said to be overrated---I'd probably say Patrick Marleau. Even though the Sharks lost, that was when Thornton shed the overrated label.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:51 PM
  #41
Bruv
Loveless
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hamsterdam
Country: Finland
Posts: 52,870
vCash: 50
No but he's up there

Datsyuk

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:53 PM
  #42
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,199
vCash: 500
Yeah but he like, sucks in the playoffs bro

__________________


DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:56 PM
  #43
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
To add to that, all one needs to look at is the 2011 playoffs when the Sharks were eliminated by the Canucks...Thornton was trying his best while severely hurt.
Well that and he scored 6 points in the 5 games against the Canucks.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:58 PM
  #44
lsx
Registered User
 
lsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I'm the biggest Thornton fan and I'd take Crosby/Malkin over him if I had to start a team. Let's not get ridiculous.
He makes everyone around him better and controls the game better than most I have seen - crosby is a spoiled crybaby little **** and now an injury risk. Malkin, yeah...it's a toss-up, but if I were starting a team from scratch, Jumbo is exactly the guy that I would want as 1C.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:02 AM
  #45
SignThornton
BEAST MODE
 
SignThornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Catharines, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,888
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SignThornton Send a message via MSN to SignThornton Send a message via Yahoo to SignThornton
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post

As for Hall of Fame, I don't think that Super Joe gets there...he's in the same class of players like Paul Kariya if you ask me...very good career, but not HOF-worthy.
I don't even know how to respond to this statement.


SignThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:06 AM
  #46
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,507
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
To add to that, all one needs to look at is the 2011 playoffs when the Sharks were eliminated by the Canucks...Thornton was trying his best while severely hurt. If there is a player on the Sharks who can be said to be overrated---I'd probably say Patrick Marleau. Even though the Sharks lost, that was when Thornton shed the overrated label.
Marleau's not overrated. The only time Marleau is praised is when he's on a tear scoring goals at an unsustainable pace. Even that is mostly attributed to Joe Thornton by most people. Then he will get chastised when he doesn't sustain that pace. People will overlook the little things he does because he is perceived to lack heart and fire. People overlook that until Jagr came back from the KHL, he was the active leader in playoff goals. But that's the nature of the business until you win the Cup.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:15 AM
  #47
Evincar
Your Final Judgement
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Marleau's not overrated. The only time Marleau is praised is when he's on a tear scoring goals at an unsustainable pace. Even that is mostly attributed to Joe Thornton by most people. Then he will get chastised when he doesn't sustain that pace. People will overlook the little things he does because he is perceived to lack heart and fire. People overlook that until Jagr came back from the KHL, he was the active leader in playoff goals. But that's the nature of the business until you win the Cup.
Marleau gets criticized because he has gone pointless in several playoff series.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
  #48
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars
 
AstroDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NorCal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,161
vCash: 1012
I hate threads about Sharks on main board.

Look, he sux and the team and fans hate him and management would trade him for a used puck bag/

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
  #49
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,258
vCash: 3000
Elias is easily the most underrated player, IMO.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:31 AM
  #50
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
He makes everyone around him better and controls the game better than most I have seen - crosby is a spoiled crybaby little **** and now an injury risk. Malkin, yeah...it's a toss-up, but if I were starting a team from scratch, Jumbo is exactly the guy that I would want as 1C.
on so many levels.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.