HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Joe Thornton the most underrated current NHL player career wise?

Old
02-01-2013, 11:29 PM
aemoreira1981

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupGuru View Post
You misspelled "Datsyuk"
Can you call Datsyuk underrated though? Everyone knows about how great his hands and playmaking is---a player like Ray Whitney, however, goes under the radar (he made his first All-Star team last season at age 40, being on the second team). He was thought to be washed up after a dismal season in Detroit before the lockout.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:30 PM
TheeNorthStar

Absolutely not. Everyone here knows hes had a great career. Its just the no cup thing. But he's definitely not underrated.

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:31 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Joe has a personality that probably doesn't give him the intensity he needs to be "the guy" in the playoffs, but he is still a fantastic hockey player and has been one for a long time.

I still say his whole way of playing the game changed after he and Lindros fought way back. Before then, Joe was a physical beast and dangerous player physically. After, he became a playmaker and a lot more of a gentle giant. I am not sure which direction would have led him to the HHOF faster, but he has a place reserved already in my opinion.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Caroline Says ll
Bismarck

Send a message via ICQ to Caroline Says ll
The entire playoff argument is nonsense. For almost all of his years as a Shark he has scored at a PPG clip in the playoffs, and just because they haven't yet put it together to win a cup(a team accomplishment), he will get labeled as a choker, with no heart or drive in the playoffs.

This will be continued to get spewed by most people who don't watch him play in the playoffs, but would rather continue to spread word of mouth to make themselves sound smarter with immense hockey knowledge.

Caroline Says ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:33 PM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivan View Post
Number 1 currently? You would take Thornton ahead of Crosby or Malkin?
Absolutely.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:35 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYarmond Edison View Post
Absolutely a great player but comes off as a huge *******.
By fans of other teams, maybe, but not by players. Joe is probably one of the more universally liked guys in the NHL.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:36 PM
aemoreira1981

The problem with calling someone like Super Joe underrated is that he has been a high-profile player his entire career. Underrated would be someone who has flown under the radar for much of his career. Thornton may not be overrated, but I have a hard time calling him underrated either.

As for Hall of Fame, I don't think that Super Joe gets there...he's in the same class of players like Paul Kariya if you ask me...very good career, but not HOF-worthy.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
Absolutely.
I'm the biggest Thornton fan and I'd take Crosby/Malkin over him if I had to start a team. Let's not get ridiculous.

Anyways since being moved to the Sharks, Thornton has been almost a PPG in the playoffs. Those two goose egg playoffs he put up in Boston are the only ones people seem the remember sadly.

Also no more Sharks threads pls.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
The problem with calling someone like Super Joe underrated is that he has been a high-profile player his entire career. Underrated would be someone who has flown under the radar for much of his career. Thornton may not be overrated, but I have a hard time calling him underrated either.

As for Hall of Fame, I don't think that Super Joe gets there...he's in the same class of players like Paul Kariya if you ask me...very good career, but not HOF-worthy.
You're joking right? You know Gartner, Ciccarelli and Nieuwendyk have been inducted recently?

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:43 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:

Too funny.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:44 PM
SharksCyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Says ll View Post
The entire playoff argument is nonsense. For almost all of his years as a Shark he has scored at a PPG clip in the playoffs, and just because they haven't yet put it together to win a cup(a team accomplishment), he will get labeled as a choker, with no heart or drive in the playoffs.

This will be continued to get spewed by most people who don't watch him play in the playoffs, but would rather continue to spread word of mouth to make themselves sound smarter with immense hockey knowledge.
Haha, could not have been said any better. Unfortunately this concept alludes most people, or they choose to ignore it.

SharksCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:

I think he is the #1 player in points during the 2000-2010 decade. Not exactly sure whether it's 2001-2010 or 2000-2009 but being the leader in points for an entire decade is absolutely HOF-lock worthy.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:47 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Quote:
You'd be surprised how many players that we never thought would make it to the HHOF, actually made it to the HHOF.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Phu

Tin Man is chocker

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:50 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksCyclops View Post
Haha, could not have been said any better. Unfortunately this concept alludes most people, or they choose to ignore it.
To add to that, all one needs to look at is the 2011 playoffs when the Sharks were eliminated by the Canucks...Thornton was trying his best while severely hurt. If there is a player on the Sharks who can be said to be overrated---I'd probably say Patrick Marleau. Even though the Sharks lost, that was when Thornton shed the overrated label.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Bruv
Loveless

vCash: 50
No but he's up there

Datsyuk

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Yeah but he like, sucks in the playoffs bro

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
To add to that, all one needs to look at is the 2011 playoffs when the Sharks were eliminated by the Canucks...Thornton was trying his best while severely hurt.
Well that and he scored 6 points in the 5 games against the Canucks.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:58 PM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I'm the biggest Thornton fan and I'd take Crosby/Malkin over him if I had to start a team. Let's not get ridiculous.
He makes everyone around him better and controls the game better than most I have seen - crosby is a spoiled crybaby little **** and now an injury risk. Malkin, yeah...it's a toss-up, but if I were starting a team from scratch, Jumbo is exactly the guy that I would want as 1C.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:02 AM
SignThornton
BEAST MODE

Send a message via AIM to SignThornton Send a message via MSN to SignThornton Send a message via Yahoo to SignThornton
Quote:

I don't even know how to respond to this statement.

SignThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
To add to that, all one needs to look at is the 2011 playoffs when the Sharks were eliminated by the Canucks...Thornton was trying his best while severely hurt. If there is a player on the Sharks who can be said to be overrated---I'd probably say Patrick Marleau. Even though the Sharks lost, that was when Thornton shed the overrated label.
Marleau's not overrated. The only time Marleau is praised is when he's on a tear scoring goals at an unsustainable pace. Even that is mostly attributed to Joe Thornton by most people. Then he will get chastised when he doesn't sustain that pace. People will overlook the little things he does because he is perceived to lack heart and fire. People overlook that until Jagr came back from the KHL, he was the active leader in playoff goals. But that's the nature of the business until you win the Cup.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Marleau's not overrated. The only time Marleau is praised is when he's on a tear scoring goals at an unsustainable pace. Even that is mostly attributed to Joe Thornton by most people. Then he will get chastised when he doesn't sustain that pace. People will overlook the little things he does because he is perceived to lack heart and fire. People overlook that until Jagr came back from the KHL, he was the active leader in playoff goals. But that's the nature of the business until you win the Cup.
Marleau gets criticized because he has gone pointless in several playoff series.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 1012
I hate threads about Sharks on main board.

Look, he sux and the team and fans hate him and management would trade him for a used puck bag/

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Elias is easily the most underrated player, IMO.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
He makes everyone around him better and controls the game better than most I have seen - crosby is a spoiled crybaby little **** and now an injury risk. Malkin, yeah...it's a toss-up, but if I were starting a team from scratch, Jumbo is exactly the guy that I would want as 1C.
on so many levels.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote