HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would your reaction be if...

Old
07-02-2006, 11:09 AM
BigTimer*

vCash: 500
What would your reaction be if...

Next year our defence turns out to be absolutely atrocious? Lets say to the point of costing us a top-10 finish in our conference. While I've been supportive of Gainey for the most part (except with some of his contracts but it's not like I respect the players he signed for posturing with the team that made their careers - ie: Koivu and Boullion), I think a mistake in our defensive talent assessment would be an almost unforgivable error... especially with the pool of defencemen that were available yesterday.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Ginoro

Well, I don't see it happening but I guess I wouldnt be so mad at him... I personally didnt expected him to get a D because I feel comfortable with what we're having right now... I guess he feels the same and he has reasons to believe it so...

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:13 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

It's the exact same defence. They could perform better or worse on given nights but it's not unreasonnable to expect them to be as effective the following year.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:13 AM
znk

It wont happen because our D is not atrocious. Theodore was.....once Huet was in net our D was great. It's also a verry tough D and 4 of those guys can win a fight.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:15 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Unless you consider our defence to be atrocious then it will be a lot of <insert whatever reaction you had last year> again.

Old
07-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I'm one of them who thinks we are overrating our defense not for their defensive part of the deal but for the offensive one, first pass, transition and so on....That's why we are so in love with Markov, that guy could change a guy just like that with his transition play an amazing hockey sense (hello Bergeron.....) The rest of our guys are just not up to par when it comes to becoming a better team to go further.

We don't have an atrocious defense, we have a good group of guys that will permit us not to look like fools most of the time. But is that enough????

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
I think a mistake in our defensive talent assessment would be an almost unforgivable error... especially with the pool of defencemen that were available yesterday.
There is always the possibility of a trade if things really turns out to be bad.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:30 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
It wont happen because our D is not atrocious. Theodore was.....once Huet was in net our D was great. It's also a verry tough D and 4 of those guys can win a fight.
I guess your a fan of what we've been doing the past 5 years. Letting our goalie see 30-35 pucks a night and put the ball in his court to keep us in the game. I find that the only difference Huet had on our D was offensively because they pinched much more often than before but apart from that the defensive coverage (mostly when Markov wasn't there but still some games overall) was pretty average.

Maybe the term atrocious since is a little extreme, so lets just say for arguments sake that our D takes "a step back" from expectations.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:51 AM
ludger

A step back can be applied to all teams, no one can predict the future

ludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:51 AM
znk

Quote:
I guess your a fan of what we've been doing the past 5 years. Letting our goalie see 30-35 pucks a night and put the ball in his court to keep us in the game. I find that the only difference Huet had on our D was offensively because they pinched much more often than before but apart from that the defensive coverage (mostly when Markov wasn't there but still some games overall) was pretty average.

Maybe the term atrocious since is a little extreme, so lets just say for arguments sake that our D takes "a step back" from expectations.
Habs had 2507 shots against and 2470 shots for. That's -37. But you can put alot of that on Theo's lack of rebound control.
Once Huet got in....maybe the shot numbers didnt drop significantly but he made the job alot easier on the D. The D also started playing less on edge and was supporting the attack more and more and their confidence in Huet grew.
Compare our D to Carolina's I think our D is better yet they one the cup.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:54 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Everyone is fully aware of our past suckage. You can't copy-paste the last 5-10 years and say this will be our future.

Old
07-02-2006, 12:04 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Next year our defence turns out to be absolutely atrocious? Lets say to the point of costing us a top-10 finish in our conference. While I've been supportive of Gainey for the most part (except with some of his contracts but it's not like I respect the players he signed for posturing with the team that made their careers - ie: Koivu and Boullion), I think a mistake in our defensive talent assessment would be an almost unforgivable error... especially with the pool of defencemen that were available yesterday.
Even Witt or McKee in place of Frankie would be nice.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote