HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 01:06 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Don't think that will be a problem since all of the guys in the discussion are good to great skaters.
Just looking at the 2010 team it almost certainly would eliminate a guy like Ryan Malone. Tim Gleason and Brooks Orpik would be question marks. Going forward though you're right. Nearly all the guys in contention can fly.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

IMO, the U.S. brass will probably use the model that made this year's WJC team successful:

* Strong goaltending, which allows:
* A mobile, offensively gifted defense to take risks
* A strong-skating, but relatively blue collar forward group that as a group is stonger than it's individual parts
* Strong leadership

Here's who I envision:

Goaltenders (x3):

Jonathan Quick
Ryan Miller
Cory Schneider

Defense (x7):

Ryan Suter, Keith Yandle, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Ryan McDonagh, Justin Faulk, Cam Fowler

Forwards (x13):

Patrick Kane, Bobby Ryan, Zach Parise, Phil Kessel, Ryan Callahan, David Backes, Dustin Brown, JVR, Ryan Kesler, Max Pacioretty, Blake Wheeler, Derek Stepan, Joe Pavelski

Old
01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I'm bored and this is off the top of my head to kill some time

Parise-Kesler-Kane
Pacioretty-Stastny-Kessel
Brown-Backes-Callahan
Okposo-Pavelski-Ryan
Stepan

Suter-McDonaugh
J Johnson-Carlson
Yandle-Faulk
E Johnson

Quick
Miller
Howard
I cant imagine Bobby Ryan on the 4th line for this team...though I get you just threw the team together, he is a top 6 power winger with size and scoring ability imo.

Also I think my defense would look pretty much just the same, but man is it missing that big physical presence of an Orpik. I understand the big ice will prevent some bigger slower players from making the team, but just like this WJC proved, you still need a horse that can clear the crease out and hammer behind his goalkeeper...I think Orpik still has a spot on this team but I just dont know who to swap him out for!! ahhhh!!

Old
01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
IMO, the U.S. brass will probably use the model that made this year's WJC team successful:

* A strong-skating, but relatively blue collar forward group that as a group is stonger than it's individual parts
* Strong leadership

Here's who I envision:

Goaltenders (x3):

Jonathan Quick
Ryan Miller
Cory Schneider

Defense (x7):

Ryan Suter, Keith Yandle, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Ryan McDonagh, Justin Faulk, Cam Fowler

Forwards (x13):

Patrick Kane, Bobby Ryan, Zach Parise, Phil Kessel, Ryan Callahan, David Backes, Dustin Brown, JVR, Ryan Kesler, Max Pacioretty, Blake Wheeler, Derek Stepan, Joe Pavelski
you think Paul Stastny isnt going to make this team?

he had a down year no doubt, but I really cant see him not making this squad right now...maybe if Stepan really "steps" it up this year then it could be a possibility I guess. I love Stepan and Pavelski as solid two way players, but when Stastny is on he is a tremendous player to have for our power play unit...

Old
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I cant imagine Bobby Ryan on the 4th line for this team...though I get you just threw the team together, he is a top 6 power winger with size and scoring ability imo.

Also I think my defense would look pretty much just the same, but man is it missing that big physical presence of an Orpik. I understand the big ice will prevent some bigger slower players from making the team, but just like this WJC proved, you still need a horse that can clear the crease out and hammer behind his goalkeeper...I think Orpik still has a spot on this team but I just dont know who to swap him out for!! ahhhh!!
Meh I was just trying to fit players in and decided to give Pacioretty the scoring spot based solely on his higher point total.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
I'm bored and this is off the top of my head to kill some time

Parise-Kesler-Kane
Pacioretty-Stastny-Kessel
Brown-Backes-Callahan
Okposo-Pavelski-Ryan
Stepan

Suter-McDonaugh
J Johnson-Carlson
Yandle-Faulk
E Johnson

Quick
Miller
Howard
I'd have Schneider there instead of Howard because he's younger. The 3rd goalie probably won't play anyways, but it will help a future team if a younger guy gains that experience. Who knows, maybe Schneider takes a leap forward like Quick did and he'll be our starter in 2018.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:33 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post

* Strong leadership

Here's who I envision:

Goaltenders (x3):

Jonathan Quick
Ryan Miller
Cory Schneider

Defense (x7):

Forwards (x13):

Faulk is an intriguing pick. I'm not sure I'd take him ahead of Shattenkirk, but I have a Terrier bias for Shatty. I think the bubble though is pretty strong.

The forwards...I really wish we had another good center. As it stands, one of Backes/Kesler would have to be a scoring line center, which while they are capable of doing it, you could make some really good checking lines with those guys. I'm not sold on Wheeler, Stepan, or JVR yet though.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
yoteshot

A Brown, Backes, Callahan 3rd line would be incredibly tough to play against, that's for sure!

Old
01-30-2013, 12:55 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteshot View Post
A Brown, Backes, Callahan 3rd line would be incredibly tough to play against, that's for sure!
pretty crazy that between Brown, Backes, and Callahan they only have 2 goals total so far.

many of the top US players havent even scored yet or more than 1 goal so far: Backes, Brown, Stastny, Kessel, Ryan, Pacioretty, Kesler (hahaha I know), Stafford, Gomez (again hahaha) etc... hope this changes soon as these guys make up most of our top 9!

Old
01-30-2013, 12:58 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

well might as well throw this out there again.

with Alex Galchenyuk sticking with Montreal, I would say his name has to be in consideration for next years team as he will play the full 48 games (if healthy) as well as another 40-50 games next year prior to the tournament. I think he is on the outside looking in right now as he is sooo darn young, but his skillset is only matched by Kane and Parise from this squad. Bringing him a long for the ride if he has a solid sophmore year might not be a bad thing for the experience.

If people are actually asking if Seth Jones has a shot at the 2014 team, then Alex Galchenyuk should be a legit consideration.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
well might as well throw this out there again.

with Alex Galchenyuk sticking with Montreal, I would say his name has to be in consideration for next years team as he will play the full 48 games (if healthy) as well as another 40-50 games next year prior to the tournament. I think he is on the outside looking in right now as he is sooo darn young, but his skillset is only matched by Kane and Parise from this squad. Bringing him a long for the ride if he has a solid sophmore year might not be a bad thing for the experience.

If people are actually asking if Seth Jones has a shot at the 2014 team, then Alex Galchenyuk should be a legit consideration.
I think Jones has less chance than Galchenyuk. The US is neck deep in puck moving defenders. Jones will be good, he'd also have a half a season under his belt.

If Galchenyuk puts up 20 points or so this year and then keeps progressing next year, say has 30 points through 40 games he might make it.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:15 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
I think Jones has less chance than Galchenyuk. The US is neck deep in puck moving defenders. Jones will be good, he'd also have a half a season under his belt.

If Galchenyuk puts up 20 points or so this year and then keeps progressing next year, say has 30 points through 40 games he might make it.
I completely agree however a bit different POV on SJ. Seth Jones, if he's producing heavily next year and contributing in a big way, he might make the team. In international play and on that ice, we saw what he did this year in the WJC. That long stride, I don't know DMAN who can play like that at that size.

Galchenyuk's skillset is off the hook. The US Roster is going to be quite difficult to pick this year.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:55 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Third line of Brown - Backes - Callahan is awesome no doubt. Could be extremely effective like the Richards - Toews - Nash we used last olympics. However, do you guys worry about the speed and mobility of that line on the big ice?

Old
02-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I completely agree however a bit different POV on SJ. Seth Jones, if he's producing heavily next year and contributing in a big way, he might make the team. In international play and on that ice, we saw what he did this year in the WJC. That long stride, I don't know DMAN who can play like that at that size.

Galchenyuk's skillset is off the hook. The US Roster is going to be quite difficult to pick this year.
It's a giant step up from juniors to pros let alone the Olympics. Even drew doughty was a bit of a mess his freshman year in the NHL. I just don't see how jones is already better than the dozen top line d guys we have in the pool by next year.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
It's a giant step up from juniors to pros let alone the Olympics. Even drew doughty was a bit of a mess his freshman year in the NHL. I just don't see how jones is already better than the dozen top line d guys we have in the pool by next year.
Well I don't think he will, but it would be nice to see him in the position where he would possibly be considered for a roster spot.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:15 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

looks like Jason Pominville really wants to play for the US in 2014! He is off to a great start playing well both sides of the puck. I was definitely against him making this team a few months back, but if he continues to play like this the remainder of the year and next year, he pretty much has to be taken for this squad.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:15 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Third line of Brown - Backes - Callahan is awesome no doubt. Could be extremely effective like the Richards - Toews - Nash we used last olympics. However, do you guys worry about the speed and mobility of that line on the big ice?
I'm not worried about it.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:03 PM
magic school bus

Team USA 2014

Parise (A) - Kesler - Kane
Oshie - Backes - Pavelski*
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Brown - Stepan - Callahan
Pacioretty

McDonagh - Suter (A)*
Yandle - E. Johnson
J. Johnson (C) - Bogosian
Byfuglien

Quick
Miller
Schneider

Jack Johnson is captain.

*Oshie - Backes - Pavelski plays vs the opponent's top lines

Last edited by magic school bus: 02-04-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Xokkeu

Who is Girardi?

If you are talking about Dan Girardi, he is Canadian.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
looks like Jason Pominville really wants to play for the US in 2014! He is off to a great start playing well both sides of the puck. I was definitely against him making this team a few months back, but if he continues to play like this the remainder of the year and next year, he pretty much has to be taken for this squad.
Yeah, we aren't really loaded with enough talented forwards to say no to a guy with 73 points last season and on an even better pace again this year.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:37 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Who is Girardi?

If you are talking about Dan Girardi, he is Canadian.
Oops! My mistake.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:44 PM
magic school bus

I just randomly picked between Carlson and Bogosian for that last spot on D. I have no idea who will be the better player by then.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I just randomly picked between Carlson and Bogosian for that last spot on D. I have no idea who will be the better player by then.
Carlson had a mediocre season last year and this year doesn't seem much better. I saw that Pittsburgh game and my god, I'm pretty sure he was on the ice for every goal against. Honestly if I'm projecting a roster a year out right now I'll take Bogosian, even though he's hurt. More than that though, I'd put in Fowler (also hurt of course, thanks to an absurd boarding call with no suspension? ) or Justin Faulk.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:00 AM
magic school bus

Carlson plays hard minutes also so I'll give him the benefit of any doubt. I'd have no problem with Fowler or Faulk in that spot. I'm sure one of those guys will be a star by then.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Carlson plays hard minutes also so I'll give him the benefit of any doubt. I'd have no problem with Fowler or Faulk in that spot. I'm sure one of those guys will be a star by then.
He does, but then again most of the guys in competition for a spot are playing hard minutes. I like Carlson, it's just been a rough go for him recently.

Closed Thread