HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible Trades?

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 06:39 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

vCash: 500
Urbom seems like the biggest piece of trade bait available in Albany.

He's close to being NHL ready, has NHL experience and him going elsewhere clears the way for others who have higher ceilings.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Trading Merril makes no sense, his value couldn't be lower right now.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:55 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
See, I really don't think Gelinas is as much of a shoe-in as you guys do. It's easy to say he's putting up PP points at the AHL level, but then look at the personnel we have on our NHL squad that ISN'T putting up points: do you really think Eric Gelinas will make a difference? Not to mention his skill set is extremely redundant now that we have Larsson.

We simply have too much depth. Unless we have an absurd wave of injuries neither is going to get an opportunity. I honestly don't think Urbom or Gelinas are going to be long-term Devils. That's not to say they aren't quality prospects. But Merrill is the only D prospect we have with enough raw talent to force his way into the NHL line-up.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Gelinas offensive upside is through the roof. People thought his offensive numbers last season were a fluke but in fact he's only getting better. Gelinas gets more shots on goal per game than anyone else in Albany, Butler included. You don't see that kind of numbers from a defence-man very often.

Larsson is likely to be the all-around defence-man that takes your team's defensive assignment with some offensive production. Gelinas is going to take Zidlicky's place as soon he gets called up. There should be enough room for both type of player.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Gelinas offensive upside is through the roof. People thought his offensive numbers last season were a fluke but in fact he's only getting better. Gelinas gets more shots on goal per game than anyone else in Albany, Butler included. You don't see that kind of numbers from a defence-man very often.

Larsson is likely to be the all-around defence-man that takes your team's defensive assignment with still some offensive production. Gelinas is going to take Zidlicky's place as soon he gets called up. There should be enough room for both type of player.
I watched him a couple games. I don't see this puck-moving people are raving about, he doesn't remind me of a puck-mover like Zidlicky, Rafalski, Niedermayer, he reminds me of a shooting defenseman. A guy like Souray. He gets a lot of shots on net because he shoots a lot.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I watched him a couple games. I don't see this puck-moving people are raving about, he doesn't remind me of a puck-mover like Zidlicky, Rafalski, Niedermayer, he reminds me of a shooting defenseman. A guy like Souray. He gets a lot of shots on net because he shoots a lot.

His skating skills are impressive and he knows how to move the puck. Let's wait until he plays for an NHL team with a real system.

I don't understand the meaning of your last phrase. There's nothing wrong with shooting the puck a lot.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:10 PM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Hell, I'll take one of those.

He skates better than Souray, too. Long, rangy, big... there isn't alot NOT to like here.

He's certainly no Rafalski, but I agree with those other guys that his offensive upside is through the roof.

I haven't seen enough of Merrill (he hasn't been on the ice long enough) except playing with a crappy Michigan team this year. You guys are right that his value is pretty low, especially for a first rounder... I wasn't thinking there.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
His skating skills are impressive and he knows how to move the puck. Let's wait until he plays for an NHL team with a real system.

I don't understand the meaning of your last phrase. There's nothing wrong with shooting the puck a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billingtons ghost View Post
Hell, I'll take one of those.

He skates better than Souray, too. Long, rangy, big... there isn't alot NOT to like here.

He's certainly no Rafalski, but I agree with those other guys that his offensive upside is through the roof.

I haven't seen enough of Merrill (he hasn't been on the ice long enough) except playing with a crappy Michigan team this year. You guys are right that his value is pretty low, especially for a first rounder... I wasn't thinking there.
His skating is a lot better than someone like Souray, but I haven't seen him move the puck like guys like Rafalski/Niedermayer do. I see him projecting more as a Tallinder with more offensive instincts and a better shot. I just don't see the PMD in him that you see more in Scarlett and Merrill. He can skate with the puck well and make a good outlet pass, but I just don't see him carrying the puck all the way up the ice, etc. It's not a knock on him by any means though, because he's got a good future.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:27 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

strictly Offensively gelinas reminds me a lot of pronger. Skates a lot like him and has the big shot. Obviously the rest of his game is nowhere in prongers universe.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:03 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Would have loved that guy on the pp vs the Islanders

Old
02-01-2013, 09:07 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Defensemen with a booming shot from the point wreaked havoc on the Devils PK even last year.

It's time to strike that same fear into other PKs.

In due time:
Gelinas on one point, creating chaos
Larsson on the other, remaining calm and keeping the zone (even now, I think he's the best defensemen on the team at this)

For this very reason, I'd love to keep Gelinas.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I really am excited for Gelinas and Merrill to be up with the big boys

Old
02-01-2013, 09:11 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethNJD View Post
You guys do realize Lou is gonna trade tallinder + tedenby + picks for like, a sack of marbles right?
U don't think u could get a decent player for Tallinder, Urbom, Ted's and a #2?

I mean, Tallinder is a decent player, and then u are throwing in 2 prospects and a high pick.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Truthfully, I would not want to deal any of Merrill, Gelinas, or Urbom, but if you had to pick one to deal at the moment it probably would be Urbom due to the fact he's been in the system the longest, is the closest to the NHL and if he doesn't get a shot soon, the questioning of his value might start to impact.

Also, I think one of these guys is movable due to the fact that the Devils now have Damon Severson in the fold who is likely to see some Albany time some point next year or the year after.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:41 PM
apice3*

I wouldn't want to trade Urbom now. Really depends what he's packaged with. I feel like you can get more value out of him as a solidified NHL-er as opposed to a prospect.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Defensemen with a booming shot from the point wreaked havoc on the Devils PK even last year.

It's time to strike that same fear into other PKs.

In due time:
Gelinas on one point, creating chaos
Larsson on the other, remaining calm and keeping the zone (even now, I think he's the best defensemen on the team at this)

For this very reason, I'd love to keep Gelinas.
As much as I'd like for that to happen, lets be real, we're not going to be running two defensemen on the powerplay for at least 12.5 years.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
I really am excited for Gelinas and Merrill to be up with the big boys
And they can't get here soon enough.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
His skating is a lot better than someone like Souray, but I haven't seen him move the puck like guys like Rafalski/Niedermayer do. I see him projecting more as a Tallinder with more offensive instincts and a better shot. I just don't see the PMD in him that you see more in Scarlett and Merrill. He can skate with the puck well and make a good outlet pass, but I just don't see him carrying the puck all the way up the ice, etc. It's not a knock on him by any means though, because he's got a good future.
That sounds like something this team could really really use right now. No one's expecting him to come in and be Niedermayer or Rafalski. But a good 2-way guy with more offense than Greene and Tallinder and Fayne could be a real boost to Deboer's system and the team.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Not trading for anyone under any circumstances, seriously, shut up and GTFO:
Brodeur
Kovalchuk
Elias
Henrique

Would only entertain moving for enormous overpayment:
Larsson

Would be VERY reluctant to move, but *might* consider dangling for a top asset:
Fayne
Clarkson
Merrill*
1st rounder 2013
Greene
Josefson
Matteau
Gelinas*

Not untouchable per se but would be pointless to move, any deal would be creating an equal hole:
Moose Hedberg
Salvador
Zidlicky
Zubrus

No value/fit well on NJ:
Carter
Gionta
Bernier
Harrold
Barch

Readily moveable assets:
Tallinder
Volchenkov
Tedenby
Urbom*
Burlon*
Any draft pick not 1st rounder 2014 OR 2nd rounder 2014
Fixed

Old
02-02-2013, 04:02 AM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Bstrd View Post
Fixed
Zajac?

Old
02-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
Fayne for a top-6 winger. He has more value then Tally or Volch (who both won't bring back anything worthwhile).

Larsson steps right in for Fayne.
Fayne has much higher value to us than to any other team. Guys like that don't get traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum View Post
You trade Merrill not Urbom.
No way, Merrill is the better prospect, and Urbom has more value. No brainer that Urbom is the better asset to trade.

Quote:
Gelinas is your next puck moving PP QB. Keep him.
Quote:
I have to agree with Zippy here. Gelinas's biggest strength is his shot. I have not seen anything to suggest that he is anything more than an average puck distributor on the PP. And that's fine, because we can use another dangerous point shot on the PP, but Gelinas isn't going to be the PP QB. That duty is more likely to fall to Merrill or Larsson in the future.

That said, I really like Gelinas and I want to keep him. Trade Urbom before anybody else is considered.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Penner has been eating pancakes in the pressbox for four games straight. Just throwing it out there.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Penner has been eating pancakes in the pressbox for four games straight. Just throwing it out there.
I wouldn't mind him.

He would be so strong in this system with his size and board play.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Ponikarovsky seems like a safe bet. If Winnipeg continues down this road I could see him returning.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Weird that Anderson was sent down and nobody else called up or signed. Feels like Lou is looking to make a move

Closed Thread