HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

WJC Team

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
WJC Team

Caught the 3rd period of the 2nd WJC team tryout game (9-1 for the juniors). Brodziak had a 3 point game (same as Crosby) and looks to be a lock. I think JDD played the first half and pitched a shutout - guess it's a toss up between him and Harding (Ward has no chance).

Getzlaf is way way better than Perry - dealing Comrie to the Ducks without getting Getzlaf back should not happen. Maybe we should have taken him ourselves instead of trading the pick for MAP and a 2nd.

Old
12-15-2003, 04:04 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Caught the 3rd period of the 2nd WJC team tryout game (9-1 for the juniors). Brodziak had a 3 point game (same as Crosby) and looks to be a lock. I think JDD played the first half and pitched a shutout - guess it's a toss up between him and Harding (Ward has no chance).

Getzlaf is way way better than Perry - dealing Comrie to the Ducks without getting Getzlaf back should not happen. Maybe we should have taken him ourselves instead of trading the pick for MAP and a 2nd.
Are you sure about Getzlaf, he didn't really impress me a whole lot at the WHL vs. The Russians. To me he's a Chris Gratton. He doesn't have huge offensive upside, then again that was what two games? Its good to hear Brodziak is doing well though, hopefully both him a JDD make the squad.

GXL

Old
12-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I agree with you, Asiaoil. I really like Getzlaf and feel he will be a better player than Perry. This kid is getting better every year, plays a strong two way game, and is big. Getzlaf has been knocked on his skating ability but I think this is overstated. Great character player.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
I agree with you, Asiaoil. I really like Getzlaf and feel he will be a better player than Perry. This kid is getting better every year, plays a strong two way game, and is big. Getzlaf has been knocked on his skating ability but I think this is overstated. Great character player.
Showed a nice backhand and big slapper tonight as well - the kid impressed me.

However, the question I kept asking while watching the game was: how the heck did we get Brodziak in the 7th round? Unreal

Old
12-15-2003, 06:47 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
However, the question I kept asking while watching the game was: how the heck did we get Brodziak in the 7th round? Unreal
I believe the same way we got Bonsignore 4th overall. Blind luck. I know the coaching staff for the Oil are all slapping themselves on the back for picking him but let's not forget they waited through 213 picks. I used to work for a politician and it was the same thing. They used to say that you stand up and take the credit when something good happens even if you had nothing to do with it because you sure as heck are going to get blamed when it goes bad even if you had nothing to do with it. Just my perspective.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:49 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
I believe the same way we got Bonsignore 4th overall. Blind luck. I know the coaching staff for the Oil are all slapping themselves on the back for picking him but let's not forget they waited through 213 picks. I used to work for a politician and it was the same thing. They used to say that you stand up and take the credit when something good happens even if you had nothing to do with it because you sure as heck are going to get blamed when it goes bad even if you had nothing to do with it. Just my perspective.
Heh. Nice quote, theoil. I think Bonsignore was more like 'blind laziness' more than anything...with Barry "Tequila Man" Fraser running the show, the Oilers didn't seem to do alot of their own quality scouting. <sigh>

Bart

Old
12-15-2003, 07:43 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
Are you sure about Getzlaf, he didn't really impress me a whole lot at the WHL vs. The Russians. To me he's a Chris Gratton. He doesn't have huge offensive upside, then again that was what two games? Its good to hear Brodziak is doing well though, hopefully both him a JDD make the squad.
He was impressive today at least and yesterday as well. He's definitely big and strong... and is nowhere near slow. He made a play yesterday that made me just smile. An OUA forward had darted past him through the neutral zone... he puts on another gear, catches up to him and wipes him out along the boards effectively ending the rush. All I could do was smile.

Getzlaf was pretty good as the OUA dmen couldn't really handle him nor his line of Carter/Burns (though Brodziak and Paille were on that line at times). Big line.. and ran over a lot of people as they drove to the net. On his second goal he took the pass breaking into the net... and deked Cam Ward and backhanded a roof shot right over Ward. Nice tight elevation... Not sure if that's something Gratton can do that close with his hands.

Closed Thread