HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 01:50 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Barkov LEADS HIS TEAM IN SCORING ! He's playing against men in Finland. Do you realize how incredble that is. He's got guys that are 35 years old on the team for Pete's sake. I think the second leading scoreer on the team is 35, or more than twice his age ! He also had a solid WJHC. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go 4th overall behind Jones, Mackinnon & Drouin. Then again, Grigorenko went 12th, when he was rated in the top 5.
His skating is an issue. I'd be far happier if for once we could pick a 1st rounder who doesn't need to improve past that. Our team always seems to wind up at that point, picking the guy with big positives but some sort of critical flaw to their game. Give me MacKinnon or Jones who have none.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:59 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I don't think Streit will ever be what he was when he first got here, but he is still a quality NHL defenseman. He's probably best off as a #3, but he's the best we've got in terms of offensive production from the blue line. He's never had a strong partner to help him out either. Unless the wheels completely fall off (I doubt that), I think it would be unwise to cut him loose. We don't have anyone to fill his spot and we certainly won't find an upgrade via the Free Agent market.

Streit probably has a couple of good seasons left in him, let him be phased out naturally as our vaunted prospects start to push him down the depth chart. Unfortunately, that won't happen for probably another 2 years at the earliest. Adding Jones would certainly be a boon for the franchise, Streit is still going to be needed as a possible bridge.
Signing Streit to a two year extension, or a one year extension with a team option for the second season sounds reasonable.. As PW says, he'll serve to bridge the gap until our young kids that are 1-3 years away are ready to contribute full time.. Even if Streit's defense slips a bit, we'd be hard pressed to find someone with his offense skills and ability to run the Power play..

Old
01-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Barkov LEADS HIS TEAM IN SCORING ! He's playing against men in Finland. Do you realize how incredble that is. He's got guys that are 35 years old on the team for Pete's sake. I think the second leading scoreer on the team is 35, or more than twice his age ! He also had a solid WJHC. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go 4th overall behind Jones, Mackinnon & Drouin. Then again, Grigorenko went 12th, when he was rated in the top 5.
Whereas he is naturally a top prospect and will almost surely go top 7 this summer, he certainly wasn't very solid at the WJC. In fact, he left a lot to be desired. He spent many games being invisible, including the 5-1 victory over a severely outmatched Latvia. No-one should let the seven points in six games fool them as all three goals and one assist came in the 8-0 and (meaningless) 11-4 relegation round victories over Germany and Slovakia. The latter game actually truly meant nothing at all as every placement aside from the gold and bronze medal games had been decided by then.

Amongst the big name draft-eligibles, Barkov pretty much was the biggest WJC disappointment.

Pokka for Team Finland:
Having been there and even spoken with Ville, I can say that he was anyhting but happy with his performance and wasn't necessarily as solid as some have been pointing at. Of his tournament production, 2-2-4 and a +8 rating were attained in the aforementioned relegation games against Germany and Slovakia, who were meanial competition, at best. In the initial round, Pokka often had his hands more than full with forwards who tried anything crafty and made a number of poor or uncalled for passes along the way, several of which led directly to icing calls if not to excellent opportunities for opponents. One of his assists actually came on a botched-up pass that got away from him and simply fooled everyone around him. The loose puck was then picked up by a teammate and wristed in very anonymously just over the blueline, one the opposition goaltender had no business letting in. There was little more than lucky circumstance involved there.

This is not to be damning, but the kid was unfortunately a typical symptom of why team Finland ended up in the relegation round... and it weighed heavy on him. I have the distinct impression that he has a very, very difficult time dealing with and coming back from losses.

Just my $0.02 - and granted, due to the arena logistics and the importance of other games, I only saw three of Finland's games live and bits and pieces of others on TV.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 01-23-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Degeneration Rex

Bob Mc Kenzie's mid season draft ratings now up at www.tsn.ca/draftcentre

Old
01-31-2013, 01:52 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Whereas he is naturally a top prospect and will almost surely go top 7 this summer, he certainly wasn't very solid at the WJC. In fact, he left a lot to be desired. He spent many games being invisible, including the 5-1 victory over a severely outmatched Latvia. No-one should let the seven points in six games fool them as all three goals and one assist came in the 8-0 and (meaningless) 11-4 relegation round victories over Germany and Slovakia. The latter game actually truly meant nothing at all as every placement aside from the gold and bronze medal games had been decided by then.

Amongst the big name draft-eligibles, Barkov pretty much was the biggest WJC disappointment.

Pokka for Team Finland:
Having been there and even spoken with Ville, I can say that he was anyhting but happy with his performance and wasn't necessarily as solid as some have been pointing at. Of his tournament production, 2-2-4 and a +8 rating were attained in the aforementioned relegation games against Germany and Slovakia, who were meanial competition, at best. In the initial round, Pokka often had his hands more than full with forwards who tried anything crafty and made a number of poor or uncalled for passes along the way, several of which led directly to icing calls if not to excellent opportunities for opponents. One of his assists actually came on a botched-up pass that got away from him and simply fooled everyone around him. The loose puck was then picked up by a teammate and wristed in very anonymously just over the blueline, one the opposition goaltender had no business letting in. There was little more than lucky circumstance involved there.

This is not to be damning, but the kid was unfortunately a typical symptom of why team Finland ended up in the relegation round... and it weighed heavy on him. I have the distinct impression that he has a very, very difficult time dealing with and coming back from losses.

Just my $0.02 - and granted, due to the arena logistics and the importance of other games, I only saw three of Finland's games live and bits and pieces of others on TV.
Chapin,

I really appreciate your knowledge of prospects, as well as your accessibility to them. But your argument about prospects feasting on weaker competition is almost as old as the game of hockey itself. You can even use the greatest player of all time, (IMO Gretzky), and say, well if he didn't score 30+ goals against LA and Winnipeg (or whoever were the weak teams, when he scored 92), he would have never scored 92 goals in 1981/82. You can't take away the production just because it came against weaker competition, nor can you hold it against them, they are playing against whoever is in front of them. I mean, for Pete's sake, didn't Peter Forsberg amass 12 points in one game against Japan in his record WJHC ? Didn't Kuznetsov amass 9 points in a game a few years ago against weak competition ? Did they say, well he scored 9 of his points against chumps, so we aren't going to name him the top forward of the WJHC ? No they didn't, because they look at the overall tournament.

As far as Barkov, he is rated #4 in the afore mentioned Mid-Season ratings by TSN and Craig Button.

TSN Scout Craig Button:
Aleksander is mature beyond his years with a quiet confidence in his game. He has uncanny awareness and is a player who is capable of sizing up the play two and three steps ahead and can therefore do things at a very high pace and tempo. He possesses great hands, and he makes every kind of pass to create scoring chances. A very good skater who can create time and space for himself in the offensive zone. He is a dangerous offensive player who plays with determination and has a 'go about his business approach.' Has the potential to be a top number 1 center.

I highlighted the comment about his skating, which is being questioned by A Pointed Stick.

Obviously my preferences are Jones, Mackinnon & Drouin, but if we are in the #4 slot, and Barkov is there, I would not complain, though we already have a lot of center prospects. Even though we have a lot of center prospects, I wanted Galchenyuck last year.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:56 PM
IslandersFan17

Color me crazy, but I would bend over backwards for Valeri Nichushkin. Much will flame me because the kid is Russian and a lot really like Matt Moulson. However, I envision Valeri being the ideal winger to play along with Tavares in the future.

I am not going to act like the Islanders are world beaters just yet, but I do not see the Islanders selecting in the top five and Valeri might be very feasible around 8-12.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:00 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Color me crazy, but I would bend over backwards for Valeri Nichushkin. Much will flame me because the kid is Russian and a lot really like Matt Moulson. However, I envision Valeri being the ideal winger to play along with Tavares in the future.

I am not going to act like the Islanders are world beaters just yet, but I do not see the Islanders selecting in the top five and Valeri might be very feasible around 8-12.
Nichushkin is definitely an interesting player with crazy upside, but do you really think the Isles would be so willing to take him? Petrov is still very fresh in our minds. Add in the Visnovsky saga, I don't see the Isles jumping over backwards to select him considering the 'strikes' against him.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:13 PM
scott99

Quote:

I like him a lot, impressed me when I saw him at the WJHC, BUT, as PW said, it's a very risky pick. As good as he is, I would not be shocked to see him fall to the 2nd round. I thought I read somewhere that he already signed a 3 year extension in the KHL. Kuznetsov comes to mind as well, he doesn't seem in a rush to come to North America.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Nichushkin is definitely an interesting player with crazy upside, but do you really think the Isles would be so willing to take him? Petrov is still very fresh in our minds. Add in the Visnovsky saga, I don't see the Isles jumping over backwards to select him considering the 'strikes' against him.
This is true, we have not had luck with Russians lately but recently they have not been all to many prospects to come along and cause a riff... I know Nail played in Canadian junior hockey but he is of Russian decent. Tarasenko played a lot of his youth hockey in Russia, if not all of it...

Plus, isn't Viz of Czeck decent? Petrov, we took a small risk with a middle round pick, Had the Islanders selected Petrov high in the draft I would understand... I think, as much as the KHL does offer some opposition, the NHL is still the top league for these players to become the pinnacle of their sport.

Aside from top prospects, I doubt fans could tell you whom the "super stars" are in the KHL... Yet the Crosby's, Stamkos's, Malkin's, Ovy's, etc... Are names known world wide.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:56 PM
thedonger

Quote:
This is true, we have not had luck with Russians lately but recently they have not been all to many prospects to come along and cause a riff... I know Nail played in Canadian junior hockey but he is of Russian decent. Tarasenko played a lot of his youth hockey in Russia, if not all of it...

Plus, isn't Viz of Czeck decent? Petrov, we took a small risk with a middle round pick, Had the Islanders selected Petrov high in the draft I would understand... I think, as much as the KHL does offer some opposition, the NHL is still the top league for these players to become the pinnacle of their sport.

Aside from top prospects, I doubt fans could tell you whom the "super stars" are in the KHL... Yet the Crosby's, Stamkos's, Malkin's, Ovy's, etc... Are names known world wide.
Isn't Nichushkin currently in the first year of a 3-year contract for his khl team? If that's the case, way too much of a risk to take for us anywhere in the top 15.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:14 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
Isn't Nichushkin currently in the first year of a 3-year contract for his khl team? If that's the case, way too much of a risk to take for us anywhere in the top 15.
The Russian factor is strong in Nichushkin, if he falls - I hope he falls to our 3rd rounder because I would RUN to the podium to add a talent like him. Size, speed, skills. He's got an impressive tool box, that's for sure.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:10 PM
YashinWorksHard

I highly doubt it. Snow never have chosen a player who spent his youth/junior career in Europe (with the first round pick) and there is a lot of risk with Nichushkin. I think he will fall to the low first round or the second round, maybe. He's under contract there and he has a clearly Russian Factor, more than Cherepanov or Tarasenko in their days, for example.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

The kid is a stud. He's more like Malkin than Moulson, at least with respect to the way he actually plays.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Moosie

Circumstances are better now that the NHL and KHL have an agreement to honor contracts. Petrov is an enigma. His agent has said Kirill wants to play in the NHL, but it's been several years, and he's still in Russia. Did he sign a second contract over there? It doesn't seem like he wants to be with the Islanders. Maybe if Detroit had drafted him, he would already be here? I'm not against drafting a Russian, per se, but he'd better be the best player available, and it would be less of a gamble if he is playing his junior career in North America.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Chapin,

I really appreciate your knowledge of prospects, as well as your accessibility to them. But your argument about prospects feasting on weaker competition is almost as old as the game of hockey itself. You can even use the greatest player of all time, (IMO Gretzky), and say, well if he didn't score 30+ goals against LA and Winnipeg (or whoever were the weak teams, when he scored 92), he would have never scored 92 goals in 1981/82. You can't take away the production just because it came against weaker competition, nor can you hold it against them, they are playing against whoever is in front of them. I mean, for Pete's sake, didn't Peter Forsberg amass 12 points in one game against Japan in his record WJHC ? Didn't Kuznetsov amass 9 points in a game a few years ago against weak competition ? Did they say, well he scored 9 of his points against chumps, so we aren't going to name him the top forward of the WJHC ? No they didn't, because they look at the overall tournament.

As far as Barkov, he is rated #4 in the afore mentioned Mid-Season ratings by TSN and Craig Button.

TSN Scout Craig Button:
Aleksander is mature beyond his years with a quiet confidence in his game. He has uncanny awareness and is a player who is capable of sizing up the play two and three steps ahead and can therefore do things at a very high pace and tempo. He possesses great hands, and he makes every kind of pass to create scoring chances. A very good skater who can create time and space for himself in the offensive zone. He is a dangerous offensive player who plays with determination and has a 'go about his business approach.' Has the potential to be a top number 1 center.

I highlighted the comment about his skating, which is being questioned by A Pointed Stick.

Obviously my preferences are Jones, Mackinnon & Drouin, but if we are in the #4 slot, and Barkov is there, I would not complain, though we already have a lot of center prospects. Even though we have a lot of center prospects, I wanted Galchenyuck last year.
Thanks for the kind words Scott.

That post revolving around Barkov and Team Finland was just me chipping in my .02€ as I saw things at the WJC.

That said, I didn't really write that post to make an argument per se. Team Finland was - hands down - the most disappointing team at the tournament in light of the expectations and Barkov was a symptom of it. He didn't show up as expected and as the team needed him to - certainly not when it mattered most.

As for feasting on weaker competition, recent WJCs have pretty much gone to show that, in this U20 age group, the top 8 are clearly the top 8 (even if Slovakia has swayed a bit in recent years). After that, there's a pretty clear delineation between the next group of teams, which includes primarily Germany, Latvia, Denmark, Norway, Slovenia and Belarus. These teams just cannot catch up with the top 8 at the moment, for a number of reasons. And we've been seeing this for a while now. There are the odd upsets here and there, but the delineation is currently quite clear.

I only really mention this because in addition to that, one has to treat a tournament as a beast of it's own. There's a HUGE difference in the effort and intensity of a preliminary round game against, in this case, teams like Sweden and the Czech Republic, than a meaningless relegation round game against an outmatched country like Germany or even Slovakia after all of the spots in the tourney have have already been determined, regardless of who wins the last game of the relegation round. This is taken in account when people making the decisions at higher levels are determining how well certain players did at a tournament and where their compete level might or might not have been lacking.

In this case, for example, it's not an accurate accessment to analyze Barkov's WJC by simply stating that he had seven points in six games and thus, had a good tournament. Break down the game-to-game match-ups, the opponents and how much importance this or that game had and you get a MUCH different story.

But I'm sure everyone knows this.

Case in point elsewhere would be Marko Dano of Slovakia. Sure, he had some good offensive stats, but scouts will tell you that he really had quite an outstanding tournament for himself. He gathered his points against big-time opponents and when it mattered most. He stook out positively. He did all he could to spearhead a Slovakian team that was NOT featuring one of its better talent groups in recent years and allowed them to be in games they had no business being in. When things were tight in games Slovakia needed to win, he was there to ensure those victories. He was right in the middle of all things. He likely shot up a good bit in more than a few teams' internal listings.

Now, all this said, when it comes to NHL draft rankings, a guy with Barkov's size, skill set, lineage and prior achievements is not gonna be moving much due to one somewhat poorer tournament. The guys like MacKenzie and even more so Button are looking at what tools a player possesses that allow him to project to be a successful pro player at the NHL level.

Alternatively, him being ranked 4th in the MacKenzie rankings doesn't mean he had a good WJC.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 02-01-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 01:09 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Alternatively, him being ranked 4th in the MacKenzie rankings doesn't mean he had a good WJC.
You're welcome for the kind words Chapin, and man, I'd love to watch a draft with you, your insight is amazing, and truly appreciated.

Just a reminder though, as far as Barkov, I never said he had a great tournament, or even good tournament, my words were, he had a "solid tournament". Considering the disappointment that was Team Finland, I stand by my solid statement, 7 points in 6 games, overall, is not such a bad thing for a young 17 year old (there are a lot of 17 year olds who had worse tournaments production wise). Next year, I expect him to dominate.

Where the excitement comes in for me about Barkov, is how he's producing against men in the Finnish League, I'm just blown away by that. That fact, and, as you stated way more eloquently than I ever could, "a guy with Barkov's size, skill set, lineage" are what has me really excited about the type of player Barkov can be. I was more excited about Galchenyuck last year, I think his ceiling is higher, but I'd be thrilled if we drafted Barkov after losing out on Galchenyuck last year. Of course, that would be if Jones, Mackinnon and Drouin were off the board first before we pick.

Then again, with 4+ months left before the draft, someone could pull a Strome or a Reinhart, and shoot up the list from say 10 spot to the 4 spot. One guy I really like is Shinkaruk, he seems to be a natural sniper, and the Isles could use one of those as well.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:22 PM
StrongIslanders90

Taresenko is working out pretty well....

But thats just one of many Highly touted Russians to have an impact.....Yak was playing in NA already and Galy was too....Plus Galy reps the good ol USA

Old
02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Would it be difficult to ask for a player to be ready to make an Impact in the NHL immediately? Other then John Tavares we always draft these projects and wait 2-3 years. Other teams draft players and they come out flying competing for the calder trophy.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Would it be difficult to ask for a player to be ready to make an Impact in the NHL immediately? Other then John Tavares we always draft these projects and wait 2-3 years. Other teams draft players and they come out flying competing for the calder trophy.
I think draft position also has alot to do with this...

Somtimes you will get a later guy who is ready butI think the chances of the first and second picks playing are way higher than the ones selected after...>

ROR as a second round pick and he was ready..... These kids have to not only physically be ready but also the mental part of the game needs to be there....

Physically

Reinhart,Pedan,Pelech would be fine but they are not ready as far as thinking the game goes...

Old
02-02-2013, 03:26 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Now that we are a 'good' team and in route to make the playoffs, I started looking at prospects in the 10-20 range....... Really like Anthony Mantha and Max Domi..... both are high scoring forwards.. Mantha is 6'4 and Domi is 5'9.... Mantha is a real sniper. From everything I've read the kid thinks the game at a high level and always seems to get himself in position to score... Thinks like a true goal scorer and has the hands to match. He plays the wing. I'm sure Domi has been discussed a bit on here. Really high energy type with a non-stop motor, but he can really shoot and pass the puck.. Has great wheels as well. Just love his compete level to go along with the high end skills.

If you want one D-man to go along with those two forwards, how about Robert Hagg... 6'2 205 pound Swedish D-man. Smooth skater and nerves of steel. Plays a nice calm game and has all the tools you look for in a high first round pick, such as good skater, hard shot and the ability to control the game at times. Other D-men that are more well-known and closer to the top-10 are Ryan Pulock, Darnell Nurse and Nikita Zadorov..

So in other words, there is life outside of the top-5 picks..... We don't have to suck as usual to end up with a very solid draft pick.
Playoffs or bust!!

Old
02-02-2013, 09:55 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Now that we are a 'good' team and in route to make the playoffs, I started looking at prospects in the 10-20 range....... Really like Anthony Mantha and Max Domi..... both are high scoring forwards.. Mantha is 6'4 and Domi is 5'9.... Mantha is a real sniper. From everything I've read the kid thinks the game at a high level and always seems to get himself in position to score... Thinks like a true goal scorer and has the hands to match. He plays the wing. I'm sure Domi has been discussed a bit on here. Really high energy type with a non-stop motor, but he can really shoot and pass the puck.. Has great wheels as well. Just love his compete level to go along with the high end skills.

If you want one D-man to go along with those two forwards, how about Robert Hagg... 6'2 205 pound Swedish D-man. Smooth skater and nerves of steel. Plays a nice calm game and has all the tools you look for in a high first round pick, such as good skater, hard shot and the ability to control the game at times. Other D-men that are more well-known and closer to the top-10 are Ryan Pulock, Darnell Nurse and Nikita Zadorov..

So in other words, there is life outside of the top-5 picks..... We don't have to suck as usual to end up with a very solid draft pick.
Playoffs or bust!!
Mantha is a monster, could be Ryan Malone with a bit more skill...

I love Pulock and Nurse on D...

Old
02-02-2013, 11:16 AM
steveat

First of all, if we keep playing like we have, then we can assume we will be finishing off hovering over the .500 mark. This would most likely take us out of top 5 contention. Between say 6-12th spot.

There seems to be quite a bit of centers up for grabs. From team reports, apparently we are deep at center and not so deep at the wing position....but again, it's all about BPA, isn't it. We could ALWAYS trade for our needs later on and depending on how good the BPA becomes, the better talent we can trade for.

It's only mid-season, but I think we have a shot at landing a great player this first round. If we go for a center, I really like Lindholm. He's got a great hockey IQ, makes players better and can play right wing (RHS). Would love to see a Bailey-Niederreiter/Strome/Lindholm/ line.

Hunter Shinkaruk is an interesting character, but it looks like he may take at least 3 years to develop, judging his size and once he becomes man size, will his agility take a step back or will they improve. He does seem to have the correct work ethic we are looking for. I'd love to catch this guy play for a few games at least to gauge a better understanding of how he plays.

My money is on Zadarov. I haven't seen the kid play, but wow....from reading the scouting reports...this guy is like the second coming of Kasparaitis...BIGGER and BETTER. He is the size of what Reinhart should be. 6'4 230! Would love to seem him and Reinhart be a pairing.

I would also want the Isles to pick up another goalie prospect. While we have 3 in waiting, we also have to make sure we have a deep system for all positions. I personally love Poulin and he has the makings of a future mainstay, but eventually Nabby and DP will have to retire or step out, so what's left in our system? Also, I do not have confidence in both Nilsson OR Koskinen. I don't think Koski has got what it takes and I don't believe in Nilsson..I just don't think he'll make it. He has a 5-hole the size of a beachball and does not have near the agility of Poulin. To conclude, I'd go for someone like Zachary Fucale for the second round....hopefully he is still around.

Valentin Zykov I like, especially since he is a natural right wing with a full body frame, but most of all he has high end skills and a high compete level, plus he is strong on puck possession.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:22 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
First of all, if we keep playing like we have, then we can assume we will be finishing off hovering over the .500 mark. This would most likely take us out of top 5 contention. Between say 6-12th spot.

There seems to be quite a bit of centers up for grabs. From team reports, apparently we are deep at center and not so deep at the wing position....but again, it's all about BPA, isn't it. We could ALWAYS trade for our needs later on and depending on how good the BPA becomes, the better talent we can trade for.

It's only mid-season, but I think we have a shot at landing a great player this first round. If we go for a center, I really like Lindholm. He's got a great hockey IQ, makes players better and can play right wing (RHS). Would love to see a Bailey-Niederreiter/Strome/Lindholm/ line.

Hunter Shinkaruk is an interesting character, but it looks like he may take at least 3 years to develop, judging his size and once he becomes man size, will his agility take a step back or will they improve. He does seem to have the correct work ethic we are looking for. I'd love to catch this guy play for a few games at least to gauge a better understanding of how he plays.

My money is on Zadarov. I haven't seen the kid play, but wow....from reading the scouting reports...this guy is like the second coming of Kasparaitis...BIGGER and BETTER. He is the size of what Reinhart should be. 6'4 230! Would love to seem him and Reinhart be a pairing.

I would also want the Isles to pick up another goalie prospect. While we have 3 in waiting, we also have to make sure we have a deep system for all positions. I personally love Poulin and he has the makings of a future mainstay, but eventually Nabby and DP will have to retire or step out, so what's left in our system? Also, I do not have confidence in both Nilsson OR Koskinen. I don't think Koski has got what it takes and I don't believe in Nilsson..I just don't think he'll make it. He has a 5-hole the size of a beachball and does not have near the agility of Poulin. To conclude, I'd go for someone like Zachary Fucale for the second round....hopefully he is still around.

Valentin Zykov I like, especially since he is a natural right wing with a full body frame, but most of all he has high end skills and a high compete level, plus he is strong on puck possession.
I like Fucale alot and really would not mind if we picked him later....We dont have a second round and I wouldnt be suprised if he was not even available there anyway....I def think the Isles will be drafting a goaling at some point in this draft though..

Old
02-02-2013, 05:29 PM
StrongIslanders90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chwgUotURa8

Found this on Mantha. Kid can really move and shoot for a big boy

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-02-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Embed YT
Old
02-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Should we picking say 10-18, my great great hope at this point is that either Zadorov or Wennberg - in that order - would be available and taken when we pick.

That's just a preliminary thought at this early juncture.

Closed Thread