HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian Appreciation Thread: Cody Who?

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

vCash: 500
Gillis's pro-scouts are unbelievable. If only our amateur scouts were too.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:31 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Yeah people forget how good Naslund was in his prime. Don't think Jeff Carter has ever been arguably the best player in the league in any season.
08-09 when he had 46 goals he was pretty damn good.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:32 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
I doubted Kassian from day 1, but I'm seriously loving it that he's proving me wrong.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:38 AM
Wisp

top line forward on an entry level contract.

When was the last time that happened to us?

Old
02-02-2013, 02:38 AM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
top line forward on an entry level contract.

When was the last time that happened?
Burrows?

Old
02-02-2013, 02:39 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
08-09 when he had 46 goals he was pretty damn good.
Yeah I realized that after but still Nazzy > Carter.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Burrows?
Nah, he was too old to get one of those, and its expiry status was UFA, not RFA. Can see the similarities, though. Similar cap value, top liner in his last year.

Raymond, I guess,. Edler is a comparable on D - 37 points in his last ELC year.

Kassian still has two seasons left, though.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:11 AM
nucksfan8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Nah, he was too old to get one of those, and its expiry status was UFA, not RFA. Can see the similarities, though. Similar cap value, top liner in his last year.

Raymond, I guess,. Edler is a comparable on D - 37 points in his last ELC year.

Kassian still has two seasons left, though.
2 including this shortened season.

And while he didn't technically have a entry level deal, he was a 3rd year player on his first contract playing on the first line. If a younger player on a entry level deal brought exactly the same game and production as Burrows he may have more value as an asset(being younger, and RFA status after contract) but in terms of impact they are both the same, as you said first line production for similiar cap value.

Regardless having Burrows play 3rd man to the Sedins allowed them the luxury of stacking the second line with Demitra, Sundin, and Kesler. And even though he hasn't been entry level for over 3 years now, by being a top line player for 2 mill he has allowed them to field teams with depth that they should have had to get rid much before the cap crunch. Anyone of Raymond, Malhotra, or Ballard would not have fit under the cap depending on how much another top 6 option would have cost if Burrows didn't work with the Sedins, or if the timing of Burrows second contract signing and his acension to stardom didn't line up so perfectly for Gillis and the canucks.

Hopefully Kassian keeps that cap advantage going for them in these 2 seasons. I think next year is where it will really show because the developement slope at this age is usually greater than any other point of a players career (if anything this should be his sophmore slump year but he's flying) and having a full year with Sedins in his back pocket will result in more and more tap in goals. Also if Gillis knows going into the offseason that Kassian is a top 6 option, it frees up assets and cap space for other areas on the team.

Last edited by nucksfan8888: 02-02-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old
02-02-2013, 03:27 AM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
It crazy that Kassasin is playing better than most of the regular considering he was in the AHL........plus he is still on ELC next year which helps a lot

Old
02-02-2013, 04:00 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Rangers are big fans of kassian.
The 1st quote is hilarious.

I'm just so happy we have this guy, kid has his head on straight and is very smart, not to mention he skates very well for his size, is physically dominating and has great offensive skill.

These players don't come around often, and boy did we luck out getting one for ourselves. If we continue to develop him properly like we seem to have thus-far, he will become a very very good player for us.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:02 AM
Steve Bennett*

The thing that gives me more confidence in Kassian is that he has probably around 20 really good scoring chances so far this season. It's not like he's had a few lucky bounces or has simply been in the right place at the right time. The guy has generally found himself with a lot of opportunities - he seems to have that hockey know-how that not every guy has. Throw in some intense playoff experience for the guy and he's gonna have one hell of a career. I think he can easily bag 40 points this year...

Old
02-02-2013, 10:38 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
The thing that gives me more confidence in Kassian is that he has probably around 20 really good scoring chances so far this season. It's not like he's had a few lucky bounces or has simply been in the right place at the right time. The guy has generally found himself with a lot of opportunities - he seems to have that hockey know-how that not every guy has. Throw in some intense playoff experience for the guy and he's gonna have one hell of a career. I think he can easily bag 40 points this year...
Completely agree with the bold section. Not only has he had 2-3+ quality scoring chances per game, but he can throw some serious passes. It kind of sucks there is only one of him because I think he could play the point or the half boards just as effectively as he does in front of the net.
Just love how he was down so low in the offensive zone but still managed to wire a perfect one timer pass all the way to Edler at the point.
I still don't expect Kassian to be this consistent this early, but the potential is extremely promising to see.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:52 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Yeah I realized that after but still Nazzy > Carter.
the way i see it, jeff carter is an insanely talented but lazy p.o.s.

but if that ability is jensen's upside, and he gives a crap, that's 3/4 of naslund's scoring ability, plus size, physicality, and very good defense. also, the ability to play up and down the line up.

naslund was a top three offensive guy in the league at his peak, no doubt. but was one dimensional. our coach hated him (and vice versa) and i don't think the young naslund who broke through on a terrible canucks team under keenan ever gets a chance on ths good team under AV. i mean, keenan only gave him that shot because there was no one else to play-- he'd pegged nazzy as a loser and a bum.

long story short, for this team and its needs, a motivated jeff carter type > naslund.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:23 PM
yoss

Beautiful set up by Kass last night on that goal. Kid is so smart with the puck. He has 5 goals yes, but he's also a great passer and play maker. I'm honestly having a really hard time finding anything i don't like about his game this year so far. First assist was a great one. So patient with the puck on that goal. Has great hockey sense, always in the right place too in front of the net.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
the way i see it, jeff carter is an insanely talented but lazy p.o.s.

but if that ability is jensen's upside, and he gives a crap, that's 3/4 of naslund's scoring ability, plus size, physicality, and very good defense. also, the ability to play up and down the line up.

naslund was a top three offensive guy in the league at his peak, no doubt. but was one dimensional. our coach hated him (and vice versa) and i don't think the young naslund who broke through on a terrible canucks team under keenan ever gets a chance on ths good team under AV. i mean, keenan only gave him that shot because there was no one else to play-- he'd pegged nazzy as a loser and a bum.

long story short, for this team and its needs, a motivated jeff carter type > naslund.
Ive said this since Carter was drafted. He floats. He spaces out. He rarely uses the body. He wanders around the open ice looking for an easy feed. The Kings got their cup, but they also got a 14 year contract on a guy who is going to make Kings fans wish they were never born within 3 years.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Ive said this since Carter was drafted. He floats. He spaces out. He rarely uses the body. He wanders around the open ice looking for an easy feed. The Kings got their cup, but they also got a 14 year contract on a guy who is going to make Kings fans wish they were never born within 3 years.
agreed. i hate that guy; carter is a richer man's penner. let's all just be glad that kassian moves his feet, doesn't goal suck, hits, and fights guys. i am so excited to see what his ceiling is in the coming years.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:06 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
I'm so happy that Kassian has some damn good hockey sense and playmaking ability. Something that Booth lacks.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:35 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
It would a concern if it was a regular hinderance.

Often Kass is the first guy back into the d zone and after playing deep in the other end.

I see next to zero issues with his skating. Unless of course the expectations are hes to compete with raymond for fastest skater.
Kassian has been TOLD to be first one back. H. Sedin doesn't back-check well and the first couple games there were a number of 3's on 2's. But just like Burrows playing the wing on that line, Zack is back checking well.

And I had to bring up the CoHo comparisons but Kassian's passing is almost as good as Cody's, and that's saying something.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

hehehehehehe

Old
02-02-2013, 06:17 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post

hehehehehehe

Old
02-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Mailbox Head
Registered Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It comes in waves. There was a lot of hand-wringing when he was on the ice for a ton of goals against and didn't score for a few games. Now he has a 3 point game thanks to Vanek and he's the golden boy again.
Gee, sounds like Canucks fans.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Can I have some validation now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post

Thinking about the rare skillset Kassian has - a huge body, a mean streak, nice shot, good vision - I wonder if he thinks they can develop Kassian into a Backes?

2 questions:
Could Gillis see something that other people don't?
And what does this list of 5 look like? My thinking was classic powerforward types who can play first-line - maybe Backes, Lucic, Iginla, Benn, Kane.
- Oct. 15 2012 by Me! I said that!

Quote:
there is no way Kassian belongs in that group.
- Oct. 15 2012 by someone else

Old
02-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:

- Oct. 15 2012 by Me! I said that!

- Oct. 15 2012 by someone else
I still think "there is no way Kassian belongs in that group" is a valid idea that hasn't been even remotely close to proven wrong yet, personally.

Wait until we're at least half way through the season.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Not yet.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I still think "there is no way Kassian belongs in that group" is a valid idea that hasn't been even remotely close to proven wrong yet, personally.

Wait until we're at least half way through the season.
But if we can't make wild, premature inferences, then what is the internet for?

Closed Thread