HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version III

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR

vCash: 500
I just hope we can deal players like MacArthur+ and Liles+ for some 1st and or 2nd round draft picks. We already the players internally to replace them (Frattin, Gardiner). If we could get in position to nab a two of Domi,Nurse,Rychel,Zadorov,McKinnon that would be awesome.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Liles is a very good player. I don't see a reason to trade him.

Good leader, good player, great on the PP.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:06 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post

And should be worth a 1st from a team on the bubble.

I would rather trade Phaneuf to be honest. I like Liles too.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:

Dude all of your proposals are WAY off. Like not even slightly close. I'm beginning to wonder if you're trolling.
what's so off?

he has an albatross contract! We got Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin FFS! This was because we were taking on all that money from Lupu's contract.

Considering the Richards deal i dont think it's not too far off

Old
02-01-2013, 11:14 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Looks like Colborne is recovered from his off-season surgery as he had 12 points (3G, 9A) in 9 Marlies game in January.

Next season Colborne will getting near that make or break portion of his career where he either makes the jump to the NHL and fits into a top 9 or he becomes a suitcase/yo yo NHL/AHLer type.

I'm confident Colborne can make the jump and play 3rd line type minutes next year (13 - 15 minutes a night).

Kadri has also shown he belongs in the show this year and should be getting a bump in minutes up to the 15-18 minute a night range (typical 2nd line minutes).

I say we trade Grabo and his overpaid salary at the deadline (when we're probably out of the playoff race) to create lots of cap space to head into the off-season with and because the trade return will be greater at the deadline then in the off-season.

Bozak can be reinked but only on our terms. I wouldn't pay him much more then 2.5 million. Guy is Dominic Moore 2.0. A 3rd liner who is getting a 1st line opportunity.

McClement will either be our 3rd or 4th line center.

Next season we'd have:

# 1 center: Getzlaf as first preference, 2A. option being we make a trade for a star player or 2B. Sign Weiss and/or Roy. Worst case situation we have Bozak there.

# 2 center: Kadri

# 3/4 center: Battle between Colborne, McClement and potentially Bozak.

If acquring a # 1 center doesn't work out we can still have more cap space than almost any team in the league to take on undesirable contracts to acquire additonal picks/prospects (like the Lombardi deal which netted us Franson OR how the Sharks acquired a 1st rounder for taking on Vladimir Malakhovs contract in 06).
Why trade Grabovski? The guy is not overpaid, league comparables would be Krejci and Zajac, both of whom are paid almost identically. Th guy has been one of the better defensive C's in the league and is a 55-60 point C regularly. On top of all that hes a heart and soul player that plays with tenacity. Not to mention hes 100x better than both Weiss and Roy overall.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:23 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
If you look at most #1C around the NHL and consider their contract and current situation which C do you think would be most realistic to get?

Someone struggling that is young, proven and has a albatross contract seem right? Also consider that the Leafs dont want to blow up the team and trading for a MASSIVE contract to balance out the assets going the other way, will be a KEY bargaining chip.

After everything is considered the clear cut favorite to meet that description is.....

Nicklas Backstrom!

He has a NTC that kicks in 2016 so he can be moved... He has a massive contract and looks like he needs a change of scenery! It's clear Washington needs a serious shot in the arm as well. Backstrom would fit Toronto PERFECTLY. It's would be Kessel's dream center. He is young and an elite center when healthy.

When trying to come up with a cost i looked to the Richards deal because of length of contract, numbers, capabilities, age, cap hit and status on their team.

Bozak + Frattin + 2nd for Backstrom

I would love Backstrom, but your proposal is hilarious. Would have to give up wayyy more.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Why trade Grabovski? The guy is not overpaid, league comparables would be Krejci and Zajac, both of whom are paid almost identically. Th guy has been one of the better defensive C's in the league and is a 55-60 point C regularly. On top of all that hes a heart and soul player that plays with tenacity. Not to mention hes 100x better than both Weiss and Roy overall.
Grabo is not 1 of the best defensive centers in the league. I don't how this notion of Grabo being one of the best defensive centers ever started.

If he is so good defensively, why does he never kill penalties? He is the best center the Leafs have but that isn't saying all the much. I get why Grabo is a fan favourite but on a team that is a perennial contender like a Detroit or a Chicago or a Pittsburgh or a San Jose or a Boston he is more like a 4 million dollar player.

I'd take Krejci and Zajac over him without thinking about it.

Weiss is very comparable in terms of the type of impact he can have on a game. Roy was a PPG player not to long ago before his knee was shredded and he should get his game back. The best part about trading Grabo and signing either of them is we end up with a similar player but also net whatever picks/prospects Grabo brings us to continue stocking the system.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:30 AM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
what's so off?

he has an albatross contract! We got Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin FFS! This was because we were taking on all that money from Lupu's contract.

Considering the Richards deal i dont think it's not too far off
Backstrom is a career ppg #1 center aged 25 with a caphit of 6.7m which expires when he'll be 33.

That's all his prime years. For 6.7m. It would take Kessal and then some to get backstrom.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:41 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Backstrom is a career ppg #1 center aged 25 with a caphit of 6.7m which expires when he'll be 33.

That's all his prime years. For 6.7m. It would take Kessal and then some to get backstrom.
At first glance yes.

But if we fill a few holes in the Caps line-up we might get him for a price we can afford.

That said I doubt WSH is looking to move him. WHy Oates moved him away from Ovechkin is bizarre.

Still I think it would be worth it for Nonis to make a call to McPhee to kick the tires.

With the extra 1st they had last year, they may be willing to part with their 1st this year for something.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
At first glance yes.

But if we fill a few holes in the Caps line-up we might get him for a price we can afford.

That said I doubt WSH is looking to move him. WHy Oates moved him away from Ovechkin is bizarre.

Still I think it would be worth it for Nonis to make a call to McPhee to kick the tires.

With the extra 1st they had last year, they may be willing to part with their 1st this year for something.
If the Caps underperform this year and next year I could see the slight possibly of them considering moving Backstrom. But that is a remote possibility.

I'd have to think Green gets moved before Backstrom though.

The Leafs are setting themselves up well to eventually make a big time trade. But I don't think we're there quite yet and will need to stock the system to make that trade by having pick/prospect depth to do so by selling off CMac and possibly even Bozak/Grabo. Then we could have picks to trade some of our better but not top prospects and a dman like Gunnarson or even a Gardiner.

The going ratefor a star player seems to be a top prospect or high 1st round draft pick + 2nd liner or second pairing upside dman + maybe a depth player prospect thrown in.

Obviously the above is a rough guideline but it holds true in the Carter to Blue Jackets trade, Richards trade, Burns trade and Stall trade.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:21 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Backstrom is the player they build around, not Ovechkin IMO. Easier to build around a playmaking centre then a fading 9 million dollar puck hog.

02-02-2013, 02:28 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
If the Caps underperform this year and next year I could see the slight possibly of them considering moving Backstrom. But that is a remote possibility.

I'd have to think Green gets moved before Backstrom though.

The Leafs are setting themselves up well to eventually make a big time trade. But I don't think we're there quite yet and will need to stock the system to make that trade by having pick/prospect depth to do so by selling off CMac and possibly even Bozak/Grabo. Then we could have picks to trade some of our better but not top prospects and a dman like Gunnarson or even a Gardiner.

The going ratefor a star player seems to be a top prospect or high 1st round draft pick + 2nd liner or second pairing upside dman + maybe a depth player prospect thrown in.

Obviously the above is a rough guideline but it holds true in the Carter to Blue Jackets trade, Richards trade, Burns trade and Stall trade.
So the equivalent of 2 1sts and a 2nd basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Backstrom is the player they build around, not Ovechkin IMO. Easier to build around a playmaking centre then a fading 9 million dollar puck hog.
WOuld they seriously consider moving #8?

Old
02-02-2013, 03:47 AM
legendinblue
Trust in Hunter

Not interested in Strome, my gut tells me he won't live up to the hype.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Leafs2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
Kessel is in the league right now? With 4 points in 7 games? Might want to recheck that. He is a star player but has not reachimed elite status yet. This isn't a Kessel discussion but do i belive he will be a superstar? Yes. Don't see any mention of Lupul where I said he sucks? This isn't about Lupul or Kessel, it is about adding a dynamic player to our lineup.

You mentioned VAN, SJ, and PHI...

Ok lets compare a a forward ids epth chart of

Kessel
Ovechkin
Lupul
Bozak
Grabovski
Kulemin
MacArthur
JVR
Kadri
Frattin

To those teams, heck even LA from this past year. Id say the talent is there, in the top 9. Lets say we added Getzlaf or made a trade for Statsny. Or heck maybe Kadri is the answer for our 1st line centre. Our forwards are looking pretty good with or without Ovechkin. But what team has 2 snipers, teams can't double team both Kessel and Ovechkin. It gives us 2 scary offensive threats that would give us a chance every game to score goals even when one is cold.

I stated Rielly is projected as a number 1. You stated Rielly would be a top Dman and a lot of us are predicting him to be our future number 1, if the Leafs scouts had him pegged as 1st overall, that is what he was brought in for.

Ovechkin couldn't help push Washington towards the cup? Um he is a beast in the playoffs he sure made an impact for his team with 59 points in 51 playoff games. I did not know 30 years old was the age where the average NHL career is over. With a nucleus of clutch guys in Kessel and Ovechkin, along with Lupul, Kadri, JVR, Grabovski, Kulemin, Frattin gives us a pretty strong forward crew.

You are taking me too seriously. It was a Brian Burke joke. If a team has the opportunity to sign an interested Perry or Getzlaf, how hard is it to make room for cap space by trade or burying? If I recall teams can go over the cap during the summer after July 1st and have all summer before season starts to organize their cap charts. And has trade deadline gone by yet? No, so Anaheim still has time although its running out. Did Atlanta let Kolvachuk walk? No they basically traded his rights to NJ a team to negotiate a new contract for him. Parise it was obvious that he was going to walk, the 1 year extension he signed over an entire summer last year after negotiations with Lamoriello made it obvious he was going to walk.

Plus I wasn't sure whens the last time we have acquired a star free agent here? Richards, Kolvachuk, Parise, Suter, etc? Oh wait every free agent automatically signs in Toronto, because we have the money. Not everybody star player wants to play here, unless they are at the end of their careers, AND that was when we were a playoff team in 2004 and prior. Finger, Komisarek, Armstrong, Wallin lol etc free agency has sure done wonders for the Leafs.
Wow, you're actually using a 7 game sample in a season where Kessel has been outta game action for months to discredit his top 6 finish from last year and question his elite status? While boasting about Ovi, who has how many points this season? Also I know its not about kessel vs ovi, that's why I said so in my last post... which you basically restated just now lol. The reason I replied to the kessel - ovechkin comparison is because you started saying how kessel isnt a legit superstar and ovi is. If you go back and read my first reply, I never even touched a vs. Comparison... I simply said that kessel and lupul bring similar elements to what ovi would bring us and thus make it kind of silly to trade away 4 first rounders for something we already have.

Who gives a crap if Rielly is projected to be a #1, 2, 3 or 4 guy, I'm just defending what I said in my original reply about calling him a blue chip prospect and at no point calling him a #1 guy... and you respond by putting words in my mouth saying I'm projecting him to be a #1. He very well could be for all we know, or he could not... that's not the point. The point I made was that it won't take him 5 years to round into a good Nhl player... I can see him making the leafs in 2-3 years as opposed to 5 years like you stated.

Then, the statement I made about having to win the cup before ovechkin turned 30. I was mocking you for your statement that Kessel would be 30 by the the time Rielly got to an elite status. First, like I said above, Rielly will likely be making a contribution much sooner... but if he didn't and it did take him 5 years to develop its not like kessel is going to be useless at 30. Lol, thats why I said "according to your logic, 30 is when players no longer contribute" man go back and read your own posts and my previous replies... cuz you're restating my points as your own while contradicting your own in earlier replies.

About Anaheim being able to trade Getzlaf and Perry. Now not sure if tjey have a ntc in their current contracts so I'm not going to comment of that... but lets say they didn't and Anaheim ended up trading them, does that team get exclusive negotiating rights with them? No they don't... look at Hossa (traded to Pits, signs with Chi). So I'm not sure what point you were making about the possibility of them getting traded. You mentioned Kovalchuck... he ended up testing the market and signed with the team that gave him the best contract, which happened to be the same team that traded for him. So once again, what's your point?

My point about mentioning SJ and VAN and Phi is that, even if you have a really good team, it doesnt guarantee you anything. Compare our depth to the top teams all you like, bottom line is we haven't made the playoffs in 8 years so we cannot be considered as playoff contender until we do... and the paper depth means nothing until it is proven in the playoffs... Ovechkin may have great playoff stats, but the bottom line is that he has never "pushed his team to the cup" like you magically expect him to do here. Getzlaf has, and fills a need for a position we lack (unlike Ovechkin... since we have plenty of scoring on the wings) which is why I'd rather take a chance on him than spend 4 draft picks on Ovi.

In reply to your mocking of me about our chances of signing Getzlaf because "every player wants to play here" or because we have all the money. Ok, once again, putting words in my mouth. I made the point about the cap space and $ to discredit YOUR point about how there will be 28 ofther teams looking for his... the cap situation and available cash flow will narrow the teams able to make a solid pitch for Getz or Perry to a handfull (much like the bids for richards 2 summers ago). In case you forgot, Toronto was a finalist for the teams that richards was likely to sign with. Now I'm going to repeat what I said in my last post, much like Parise being from Minnesota, the hometown effect influences player decisons... which means its not crazy to think that perry would consider Toronto as top choice. Perrys decision would influence Getzlafs decision as well, since they have been successful linemates for years... plus there is the carlyle connection much like... wait for it... Richards and Tortarella in NY, reuniting with a coach under which he won a cup in Tampa. Remember what Getz and Perry did in anaheim under randy? Every player wants to play in TO? Definetly not, but out of the viable teams, Toronto's chances are pretty good when it comes to those 2.

Bottom line is that we need to make the playoffs this year and see what this young team is made off before we start trading away the future for what you think is the missing link.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:37 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
You and me both.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
I've been in that boat for a while but I honestly think he might prove a lot of doubters wrong.

02-02-2013, 08:05 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Grabo is not 1 of the best defensive centers in the league. I don't how this notion of Grabo being one of the best defensive centers ever started.

If he is so good defensively, why does he never kill penalties? He is the best center the Leafs have but that isn't saying all the much. I get why Grabo is a fan favourite but on a team that is a perennial contender like a Detroit or a Chicago or a Pittsburgh or a San Jose or a Boston he is more like a 4 million dollar player.

I'd take Krejci and Zajac over him without thinking about it.

Weiss is very comparable in terms of the type of impact he can have on a game. Roy was a PPG player not to long ago before his knee was shredded and he should get his game back. The best part about trading Grabo and signing either of them is we end up with a similar player but also net whatever picks/prospects Grabo brings us to continue stocking the system.
Grabovski has been among the best in every defensive statistical category Thats where the notion came from. He has been better offensively and on par defensively with Zajac over the last 4 years, hes been slightly behind Krejci offensively but much better defensively over the past 2 years. He is in that tier regardless if you want to believe it or not. Weiss is no where close defensively and does not play the game with the same intensity to be better than Grabovski and Roys injury troubles have ruined him so no he would not be a good replacement. Picks are overrated, once selected we will only hope that theyll become 1/2 of what Grabovski currently is and if Grabovski was 6'1 and Canadian thee tone around here would be much different. Atleast have things to back up your claims.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:14 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
I just hope we can deal players like MacArthur+ and Liles+ for some 1st and or 2nd round draft picks. We already the players internally to replace them (Frattin, Gardiner). If we could get in position to nab a two of Domi,Nurse,Rychel,Zadorov,McKinnon that would be awesome.
this x 100

i'd love to be able draft twice in the first round for this draft class

Old
02-02-2013, 08:25 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
this x 100

i'd love to be able draft twice in the first round for this draft class
Or 3 times with our ridiculous amount of decent players that aren't a good fit on this team

Old
02-02-2013, 08:33 AM
rumman

Quote:

it's unfortunate that Liles doesn't get put on #1 powerplay unit, Dion won't shoot the puck, making him totally useless, is anyone else tired of seeing the Leafs cycle the puck round and round with, (if lucky) one or two shots per powerplay? Caryle would be wise to move Dion off the #1 PP unit, replace him with Liles/Fransen combo. Between the 2 of them, Leafs will get more shots on net.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

People underestimate Liles way too much. He is still needed in this team. He still isn't playing to the level he is capable of, watch him when he does and then we'll re-evaluate, there is no one in our team that can run the powerplay based on their skill alone yet, Liles is capable of that.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post

i dont think it would take Kessel + nor do i think that would make sense for either club...

He needs a change of scenery just like Richards and Carter did... Caps need to shake things up and IMO wont move Ovi.. They have to much invested in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
thet biult around Ovi... Thats obvious

Old
02-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Antropovsky

I bet Nonis is really hating that the club dealt Aulie, i repeatedly said it, that when Aulie fills out he'll be an intimidating presence. Tampa fans gush of him now. 6-6, 230-240 (when he fills out fully), can fight very well, and can make a good 1st pass. Too bad because at his age he fit perfectly into our group, and Caryle's style. I think Aulie will be wearing a letter one day.

It's alot easier to find 3rd liners like Ashton is protected to be, rather than 6-6 behemoth defensemen who play physical.

I blame Wilson.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

If backstrom is available I hope we go all out for him.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
If backstrom is available I hope we go all out for him.
They were rumored to have serious interest in Kadri last season. So I'm assuming it would take something like Kadri + Gardiner + 1st.

I don't make that trade personally. I think the Leafs need a big, strong number one centre who dominates the front of the net and creates space for Kessel. Not sure a centre like Backstrom would benefit Kessel enough to make a trade like that.

People forget that Kessel likes to carry the puck into the zone himself, and creates most of his scoring chances on his own using his speed. So the need for a playmaking centre has been overblown IMO.

Closed Thread