HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Line Combos

Old
01-31-2013, 04:56 AM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Does the 3rd line have to be a checking line? Why couldn't we have another scoring line.

Greening - Spezza - Michalek
Silfverberg - Turris - Alfredsson
Latendresse - Regin - Zibanejad
Z. Smith - JOB - Neil/Condra/Daugavins
No Spezza:

Michalek-Turris-Alfredsson
Greening-Smith-Neil
O'Brien-Zibanejad-Condra
Latendresse-Regin-Silfverberg

Spezza returns:

Zibanejad-Spezza-Silfverberg 1a
Michalek-Turris-Alfredsson 1b
Greening-Smith-Neil Checking/energy line
O'Brien-Regin-Condra 4th line/ PK line

Latendresse is allowed to get healthy and in better shape
Daugavins

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

This is what I would like to see.

Michalek - Turris - Silfverberg
Latendresse - Zibanejad - Alfredsson
Greening - Smith - Neil
JOB - Regin - Condra

It puts zibby with 2 vets easing pressure and balances out the lines a little.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

I've seen enough. Da costa in for regin right away. Lats in for daugy when healthy.

We'll be ok if they do that

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
18Hossa

I have the key to our success, call Da Costa up.
Greening-Da Costa-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson
Daugavins-Smith-Neil
Zibanejad-O'Brien-Condra

Da Costa is as clsoe to Spezza as we have (skill set) and Greening always plays better when he is on that top line.

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:14 PM
DrEasy
Waiting for Methot

Michalek - Turris - Alfie <- the top line
Lats/Zibby - Da Costa - Silf <- the Bingo line
Lats/Zibby - Regin/JOB - Condra <- the sneaky line
Greening - Smith - Neil <- the tough line

DrEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:15 AM
delchief

Now, of all times, is when the team should be looking for that "hard to play against" mentality.

For all the lamenting about the loss of toughness in the offseason I really feel that was overblown. Foligno for Methot was un upgrade in toughness although at different positions. Konopka is a quality dude and all heart but his only real talent - besides losing/drawing in a fight - was to win faceoffs. But even that skill often depended on him swiping the puck with his hand off the dot which is now penalized. Matt Carkner was, in my opinion, the only loss of toughness that was not replaced and yet Carkner himself was often out of the lineup with injuries. So overall, although I'd love to still have that nuclear option fighter in the lineup I do not believe the team really lost toughness.

But are they tough to play against?

With Spezza in the lineup they drive offense and are an attacking team. In those times Coach Maclean's style makes them tough to play against and guys like Regin, Turris, and Silfverberg can compliment the puck-possession game. But they don't drive that game. Spezza, Alfie, and Karlsson do for the most part. Take any of those three out of the mix and suddenly these complimentary players look soft and perimeter-ish. Not good.

I questioned the re-signing of Regin when it happened. But the coach liked him and clearly thought he had continued potential. What does he think now? Zero points in 8 games and the look of a guy afraid to get dirty. I do not want that type of player in my lineup. Sorry Peter, you seem like a good dude. But if you're coming into my rink to play my team I am chomping at the bit to drive you through the end-boards since you don't seem to be able to make me pay for that on the PP or with your puck skills.

And Daug seems like another good guy. A good team guy. If that team is Binghamton. He is a below league average replacement player even on the 4th line. But we may no have a choice but to play him in the short term. At least he competes.

Turris is an above-average 2nd line center in my opinion. Not his fault that he's thrust into a roll he can probably never fill.

Silvferberg..... willing to give him some time since it seems he can snipe and he back-checks and he might just be a slow starter.

Boro should be back in. For heavens' sake if we can't always out-offense other teams then lets at least compete hard. If there's one legacy the Sens could do without it's being soft. Either Wiercioch or Benoit should be the one going back to Bingo when Lundin returns and that choice probably depends on waiver eligibility.

I hope they can find a trading partner with Bishop as he is looking like a slightly-better Alex Auld right now. In a shortened season they can't be afraid to play their backup. But I know Murray won't want to trade him for less than he paid. Good luck getting that second-rounder back, Brian. Maybe they get his confidence up against some less-than-great team and he'll prove us all wrong.... hoping..............

DaCosta? Really?? I don't know. He just seems small and easy for NHL'ers to hit and would only add to the parts of our team we already have too much of....... see Regin..................

My sans-Spezza roster, barring trades.....

Lats - Turris - Alfie
Greening - Zibby - Michalek
Silfverberg - Smith - Neil
Daug - JOB - Condra
(Regin)

Methot - Karlsson
Boro - Gonchar
Phillips - Benoit
(Lundin)

Andy/Lehner

delchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

^The team has trouble scoring. We lost 1-0. The team lacks offense not defense or toughness.
Da costa is the best offensive player in the A and has already shown he can play smart and creative in the nhl. Bring him up after next game.

and, regin is injured. His shoulder is busted up. If anything i give the guy credit for fighting through it when it was obviously bothering him. That said, he can't play like this.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:47 AM
delchief

You cannot replace the offense lost with Spezza's injury. Trying to do so with DaCosta is, in my opinion, like saying guys like him and Regin and Turris and Silfverberg are just a slight notch below Spezza in terms of skill so simply adding more of those guys will replace Spezza's skills in the aggregate. I do not believe that is a correct interpretation. Simply adding more DaCosta's won't help. It would just make a lesser-skilled team easier to play against.

When Spezza or Alfie or (especially) Karlsson are out of the lineup the team should adopt a slightly different persona until said player(s) return. That persona should be one of competing hard and skating like mad and fore-checking like crazy and relying on the goaltender to bail them out on occasion. They should not fool themselves into thinking they can be the exact same team regardless of who is in and who is out.

This is not a question of more offense and less defense. Nor is it a question of adding more fighters to the lineup. It is a question of what you want your team to be when it cannot be as skilled as it wants to be due to key injuries. My choice is to make sure that if you do manage to beat our team you will have had to go to war to do it.... and then when we get our injured guy back watch out!

Old
02-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

I don't think the identity of the team changes. Under pm it has always been, work hard, skate to the net and don't stop. Whether that is being excecuted well is the question maybe. But you still need some skill. We just lost our most skilled guy up front and they tried replacing him with regin(sort of). That is not good. Regin, in his state, is not effective. Da costa is not a perfect replacement for spezza but he has more potential than regin at the moment and in my opinion is the closest thing to spezza in the organization. He makes spezza like plays, has a good shot and does work hard at both ends.
Da costa in for regin can only help. It adds creativity and scoring threat without sacrificing anything. Maybe most importantly adds a ton of energy. All round upgrade.
Of course they have to play harder and take it to the net more than in carolina. They all know that and it is the plan.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:08 AM
delchief

My choice for the 2nd line center replacement would be Zibby. But if they try DaCosta there - in a vain hope to mimic Spezza's ability - then Regin HAS to come out and the lines probably look like this.....

Lats - Turris - Alfie
Greening - DaCosta - Michalek
Silfverberg - Smith - Neil
JOB - Zibby - Condra
(Regin, Daug)

Methot - Karlsson
Boro - Gonchar
Phillips - Benoit
(Lundin)

Andy/Lehner

Man do I ever miss Cowen..... I like Boro for his fight and enthusiasm but he should be a 6th guy paired with Phillips.............

Old
02-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

Looks good. Da costa is not spezza, but he is better than an injured regin. Other thing is, da costa and silf really had good chem down in bingo, so that would be an option too.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:31 AM
delchief

Edits for IceLevel's suggestion of putting Silfver with DaCosta.... at least that puts Silfver in his more natural right wing position........ short leash on these guys, though, as Michalek can't carry a line and this isn't the AHL............ plus DaCosta has always had a Petr Schastlivy-ish feel to me which I hope is misplaced...................... Ryan O'Reilly talk is over-done but he would look damn nice in this lineup..............................

Lats - Turris - Alfie
Michalek - DaCosta - Silfverberg
Greening - Smith - Neil
JOB - Zibby - Condra
(Regin, Daug)

Methot - Karlsson
Boro - Gonchar
Phillips - Benoit
(Lundin)

Andy/Lehner

Old
02-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

Hope we see that soon. Might switch mich and lats, but basically probably the best we can do without spezza and without making any moves. Murray did say there are some trade options though.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:58 PM
DrEasy
Waiting for Methot

Quote:
Originally Posted by delchief View Post
Edits for IceLevel's suggestion of putting Silfver with DaCosta.... at least that puts Silfver in his more natural right wing position........ short leash on these guys, though, as Michalek can't carry a line and this isn't the AHL............ plus DaCosta has always had a Petr Schastlivy-ish feel to me which I hope is misplaced...................... Ryan O'Reilly talk is over-done but he would look damn nice in this lineup..............................

Lats - Turris - Alfie
Michalek - DaCosta - Silfverberg
Greening - Smith - Neil
JOB - Zibby - Condra
(Regin, Daug)

Methot - Karlsson
Boro - Gonchar
Phillips - Benoit
(Lundin)

Andy/Lehner
That's pretty much what I had to begin with!

DrEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
^The team has trouble scoring. We lost 1-0. The team lacks offense not defense or toughness.
Da costa is the best offensive player in the A and has already shown he can play smart and creative in the nhl. Bring him up after next game.

and, regin is injured. His shoulder is busted up. If anything i give the guy credit for fighting through it when it was obviously bothering him. That said, he can't play like this.
HA! It was ONE game... ONE game! Enough with these knee jerk reactions, we're currently 4th in the East, and we've had many high scoring games. Wait 5-10 games and if scoring is big problem then address the need. One game isn't a big enough sample size.

Most importantly... RELAX!!!! It was one game!

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:09 PM
General Granny*

One ****ing game and we have trouble scoring jesus christ people. We scored 5 the other day, 3 the other as well without Spezza.

Carolina only scored 1 goal with 3 AHL dman in our roster abd without our #1 center while they added top talent like Semin and Stall.

So what does that say about Carolina?

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:16 PM
18Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
That Anderson is a Beast!

Old
02-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

it's one game without spezza. i'm saying if anything we need offense not defense as long as anderson is in the net.
not just based on the game we lost 1-0, but predicting based on the roster.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Silfverberg View Post
HA! It was ONE game... ONE game! Enough with these knee jerk reactions, we're currently 4th in the East, and we've had many high scoring games. Wait 5-10 games and if scoring is big problem then address the need. One game isn't a big enough sample size.

Most importantly... RELAX!!!! It was one game!
so you want to see 10 more games of regin before you decide whether da costa might be better ?

Old
02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
One ****ing game and we have trouble scoring jesus christ people. We scored 5 the other day, 3 the other as well without Spezza.

Carolina only scored 1 goal with 3 AHL dman in our roster abd without our #1 center while they added top talent like Semin and Stall.

That Semin is soft, Staals are overrated, and Andy is Hasek 2.0?

02-02-2013, 03:35 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
so you want to see 10 more games of regin before you decide whether da costa might be better ?
Funny no one was complaining after the 5-1 win vs MTL

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:50 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Remember, we are in a rebuild
we won't make any big move, maybe just a few with a vision towards 2 years from now.
So the line combos will be whatever they'be
the future is hard to see
que sera sera

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:52 PM
18Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
Funny no one was complaining after the 5-1 win vs MTL
Pretty sure that the majority of the board was complaining about Regin after every game.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:41 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I unno if you guys heard of this but keeping lines together for more than a couple shifts usually tends to bring out chemistry.

Remember last year's NYR? They were horrific to start the year and could not do anything right. Giving up 3 goals leads in the third period and what-not. The fans were all but ready to blow it up. A few more games together and they bought into the system and created chemistry and became the top-dogs.

Be patient, especially with guys like Regin looking better every game. If 2-3 more games we see same levels of input, then we get concerned.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:03 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I don't think coach should load up the top line on the road. It makes it far too easy to match up against. I'd be inclined to maybe get all of Michalek, Alfie and Turris onto different lines or have Michalek and Alfie line up with a different center (not Regin). My 1st choice would probably be Da Costa with the idea that Zibanejad stays with O'Brien and Condra. We really need a player who has some patience with the puck and can lug it through the neutral zone on occasion.

We might be able to get away with having Michalek-Turris-Alfie as a line at home on occasion but last change is going to kill us on the road when they only have to worry about one line and that line isn't all that dangerous.

Mac also has to find a consistent PP unit that works without Spezza. Can't not be scoring on 4 minute PPs.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote