HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

vCash: 500
Gallacher for president! He is our savior! The Coyote woes are over.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:02 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
If the guy is worth a billion, why would he want to be part of JIG and 20 other investors/partners? He should have his own bid, he calls the shots, then he can hire Jamison if he needs him...
I also think the NHL hates the optics of taking $300 million from a city (that's a gaudy number) as well as being strapped down for 20 years. They have their own agenda. A 30 year lease didn't stop this circus before, so there's no reason to sign a 20 year. Why not go 5 with an out? Give the market another shot, protect your hand groomed owner (Gallacher) in the process. You also get the added benefit of not having your hand forced in negotiations with Seattle, QC and Toronto 2.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Meh. I will take a five year out all day long. Brings Doan up to retirement, and sees OEL hit his prime. Maybe sign Don and Tip to five year extensions. That five years is really our window to see what this core group can do, anyhow. I'm game.

Too bad it is just a red herring.

02-01-2013, 03:59 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I also think the NHL hates the optics of taking $300 million from a city (that's a gaudy number) as well as being strapped down for 20 years. They have their own agenda. A 30 year lease didn't stop this circus before, so there's no reason to sign a 20 year. Why not go 5 with an out? Give the market another shot, protect your hand groomed owner (Gallacher) in the process. You also get the added benefit of not having your hand forced in negotiations with Seattle, QC and Toronto 2.
5 years is reasonable. If it works here, the team would stay. If it doesn't work here, you get a BK'd owner, and the 30 tear lease is meaningless. If I am the COG, I sign a 5 year deal all day long, their risk is no different, and they now have zero leverage...

Old
02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

I'd be ok w/5 years, the kid will be off to college, Samuellson will be up with the club wrecking folks, Doan will be an old guy who likes to hit and Lessio should be a 4th line grinder who also likes to hit.

OEL, Boedker, Rundblad will be in their primes, Yandle will be 32 and Visentin will be in goal.

...added for posterity, we will not have the privilege of seeing the following 1st or 2nd round "busts": Martinook (2nd), Ruutu (2nd), Ross (1st), Tikhonov (1st), Lane (2nd), Gistedt (2nd), Werek (2nd - received for Lindberg)...almost forgot the most important thing: Murphy will be on his 11th hockey injury

....Tiks initial NHL experience doesn't count

Last edited by Sindiggy: 02-01-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Coyotedelmar

First time posting, but would also agree 5 years seems reasonable. Would rather they stay 30+ years but that really isn't realistic, and can't see even the biggest billionaires really wanting to be stuck for that long.

Personally I don't feel Glendale, at least the new council, really want the team to stay. It may just be my personal bias against a lot of the previous board and Glendale but still I get this feeling like they believe things will be a-ok with the Coyotes left (which again could just be my bias).

Old
02-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

vCash: 1329
Any future owner will have to keep this in mind:

Sharks owner: “You cannot make money with a hockey team”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...a-hockey-team/

The money is in the franchise value, not the year to year revenues. Right now the franchise is worth crap and a long-term lease further decreases its value along with its $170M price tag. But in the future?

Old
02-01-2013, 04:13 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Plus, five more years might even be enough for this nice chap to finally reach the petition threshold!

Hope all around! I am in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coyotes petition.jpg‎ (13.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by ParisSaintGermain: 02-01-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain View Post
Plus, five more years might give this nice chap a chance to finally reach the petition threshold!

I am in!
I think his whooping in the election should keep him at bay in the future. Jones though is a robot:

Cobb-15953
PASTOR-71793

http://recorder.maricopa.gov/electio...en5Static.aspx

Old
02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
I think his whooping in the election should keep him at bay in the future. Jones though is a robot:

Cobb-15953
PASTOR-71793

http://recorder.maricopa.gov/electio...en5Static.aspx
EV are early voters, it's more like 104,489/ 23,338 was the final tally

Old
02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

NHL must continue its commitment to Phoenix area

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1...?articlePage=0

Old
02-01-2013, 10:21 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Conspiracy of the day: NHL talked Gallacher out of Jamison's bid (killing it in the process) because they want him more.

I finally give up on this mess and even sold my tickets for tomorrow's game. Then I get home from work and you guys already have a name. Damn I really don't need to get my hopes up again! But if this guy has real cash, can he please buy the arena so we don't ever have to hear the names of anybody assciated with Glendale's city government again?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

I sold my tickets as well. Figured take a break and hit it Thursday.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:07 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I finally give up on this mess and even sold my tickets for tomorrow's game. Then I get home from work and you guys already have a name. Damn I really don't need to get my hopes up again! But if this guy has real cash, can he please buy the arena so we don't ever have to hear the names of anybody assciated with Glendale's city government again?
No!!! Don't drink the kool-aid.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:08 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
I sold my tickets as well. Figured take a break and hit it Thursday.
Don't forget Monday against the Wild. Gotta love the lockout schedule.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Don't forget Monday against the Wild. Gotta love the lockout schedule.
But on Tuesday the mayor plans to offer a plan to bid out the arena deal in some stupid 4 way plot. So this secret monarch group gets a cut to produce 0 events...a plan straight from the Venture Brothers.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:14 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
But on Tuesday the mayor plans to offer a plan to bid out the arena deal in some stupid 4 way plot. So this secret monarch group gets a cut to produce 0 events...a plan straight from the Venture Brothers.
This is why we need someone to buy the arena and/or Westgate. That way all these city government people can go back into obscurity where they belong.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:59 AM
wunderpanda
Bandwagon Habs Fan

I'm a Sabres fan but wanted to wish you guys luck in keeping your team. The crowds seems great on tv and not just on the white out events.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:33 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Everyone seems to have an opinion on that issue, but no one truly knows because the franchise has never had all of the elements necessary to test a market. To know whether a market truly will embrace the sport, you need stable, marketing-savvy ownership, patient, well-reasoned management and success on the ice. In their 17 years in Arizona, the Coyotes have never had all three of those selling points at the same time. Most of the time, the franchise didn't even have two of the elements.
Kevin Allen dishes the real deal, supports keeping the Coyotes here

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...Top+Stories%29

Old
02-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Any future owner will have to keep this in mind:

Sharks owner: “You cannot make money with a hockey team”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...a-hockey-team/

The money is in the franchise value, not the year to year revenues. Right now the franchise is worth crap and a long-term lease further decreases its value along with its $170M price tag. But in the future?
That type of business works well for deep pocketed owners. They don't need year-over-year profits to pay bills and service debt.

An owner who cannot come up with the purchase price to begin with would be *****ed in this situation...

Old
02-02-2013, 10:02 AM
cobra427

Quote:
Kevin Allen dishes the real deal, supports keeping the Coyotes here

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...Top+Stories%29
I agree with this, all the elements have not been in place. If it is in place, with this group of young talented players, GMDM and Tip, we should have a winning club the next 3-5 years. I hope we get the chance to find out if it can really work here, fingers crossed....

Old
02-02-2013, 10:06 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
I agree with this, all the elements have not been in place. If it is in place, with this group of young talented players, GMDM and Tip, we should have a winning club the next 3-5 years. I hope we get the chance to find out if it can really work here, fingers crossed....
We are an important pawn. The NHL cannot get full expansion fees out of two new markets (Toronto 2 and QC) if the Coyotes are flailing around without an owner. I am guessing we get a 5 year reprieve from death, and failing a turnaround, will be moved to Seattle. Not an ideal scenario, but I'll take what I can get as a fan.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:12 AM
cobra427

Quote:
We are an important pawn. The NHL cannot get full expansion fees out of two new markets (Toronto 2 and QC) if the Coyotes are flailing around without an owner. I am guessing we get a 5 year reprieve from death, and failing a turnaround, will be moved to Seattle. Not an ideal scenario, but I'll take what I can get as a fan.
I would take that too. It should work here, if it doesn't with the next owner, we are done...

Old
02-02-2013, 10:47 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
I also believe that so long as Bettman is in charge, he will not want to admit failure in this matter. So he will fight until the very last possible moment when there is absolutely no possibility of leaving the team here. But as soon as Bettman is gone, if the ownership hasn't been resolved, the team will be leaving.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:52 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I also believe that so long as Bettman is in charge, he will not want to admit failure in this matter. So he will fight until the very last possible moment when there is absolutely no possibility of leaving the team here. But as soon as Bettman is gone, if the ownership hasn't been resolved, the team will be leaving.
Atlanta was saying the same thing. Granted, the situations are actually not that comparable. ASG was hostile and the Thrashers had nowhere to play. Glendale has spent a ton of money to keep the Coyotes and built them an arena. They are still willing to work with the league, and there are still buyers out there kicking the tires. It's not over. Not yet.

But don't think for a moment that the count won't sell us out over his pride. He absolutely will. Pride has no place in serious business, and he knows that, which is why he had to smile when moving Atlanta. Turned out to be a profitable move, but they still lost a major TV market and a southern city.

It's too early to call. What we need to know is (a.) How flexible is the new council? (b.) Taking that into account, how flexible is the NHL? They can't pretend like they are in negotiations guys. It has to be a matter of public record. We will know pretty quickly whether or not Gallacher or whomever is real, and if the NHL has any fight left in them.

Closed Thread