HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Spezza? Inexperienced Defense? Backup Goalie? 5-1 Loss.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:39 PM
geehaad

vCash: 500
Just because I like to go against the grain: the PP looks like ****. Glad that they've been working on it a lot...it really shows.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Stahl2Stall
Drawing Frog 8

The powerplay entry is just horrendous. I think Semin was the only one who successfully skated the puck in, every other time was dumped in and scrummed for along the boards for a big chunk of the PP time or just turned around right after the entry.

I think they should just stick to trying to skate it up the wing then turn it back once they're deep enough, too much skating up the middle of the ice. I saw Tlusty try this a couple times but he never got deep enough before passing it back and just ended up on the defender he skated by's stick.

Stahl2Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:45 PM
normalpsychology

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Actually I'd argue the opposite. They play a much "looser" game with Cam between the pipes. The coverage isn't as tight because they believe Cam can and will bail them out. Now whether or not they should be doing this right now is up for debate, I'm leaning a hard NO on that one.
I see your point. But, actually I'd say if they play looser in front of Cam it might be because they have no motivation to play well in front of him. When the defense plays good in front of Cam, Cam gets all the praise, and when Cam is horrible it's just blamed on the defense. That has to affect them. Where's their motivation to perform?

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Just because I like to go against the grain: the PP looks like ****. Glad that they've been working on it a lot...it really shows.
Not against the grain at all. Not sure what "different looks" the team believes Muller is teaching them, but it looks like the same old **** to me.

PK did really well though.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Agreed. Looked better when they went with the overkill first unit then the kids and Juice on the 2nd unit about halfway through the Boston game. Actually frankly that kid and Juice line was the best 2nd unit we've had all season so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennay Kekua View Post
I see your point. But, actually I'd say if they play looser in front of Cam it might be because they have no motivation to play well in front of him. When the defense plays good in front of Cam, Cam gets all the praise, and when Cam is horrible it's just blamed on the defense. That has to affect them. Where's their motivation to perform?
Winning. I've played soccer at a high level before (had numerous D1 offers by my Soph. year of HS, but my knees were total jello), and winning is always the biggest motivator. When a team is winning you don't really care who gets the credit and you don't play a lesser style then you're capable of out of spite.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
You guys will enjoy this. So I was confident in our Canes tonight, but I didn't like that they were favored on the money line. But if I gave up 1 1/2 goals, they were +220, so I put $50 on them minus 1 1/2.

So for a few minutes, I was up $110. But now I'm down $50. I'm hitting refresh on the box on nhl.com every couple of seconds, but it's not looking good.

I made the same bet on the Red Wings and they came through with a three-goal third (their empty-netter counted). I had given up on that one. The Wings were +260, so I won $130 on my $50 bet, so I'm up $30 with the Blackhawks still to go. A Vancouver win and it's not horrible. But a Chicago win and it's a good night.

If Bowman has shot half a second earlier, it would be an AWESOME night.
Dude. So close...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Dan Ellis has the best GAA in the league among goalie with more than 1 GP.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Dan Ellis has the best GAA in the league among goalie with more than 1 GP.
I literally debated grabbing Ellis for tonight's game after dropping Ward in fantasy. Settled on Luongo instead.

Head Goose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:35 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
You guys will enjoy this. So I was confident in our Canes tonight, but I didn't like that they were favored on the money line. But if I gave up 1 1/2 goals, they were +220, so I put $50 on them minus 1 1/2.

So for a few minutes, I was up $110. But now I'm down $50. I'm hitting refresh on the box on nhl.com every couple of seconds, but it's not looking good.

I made the same bet on the Red Wings and they came through with a three-goal third (their empty-netter counted). I had given up on that one. The Wings were +260, so I won $130 on my $50 bet, so I'm up $30 with the Blackhawks still to go. A Vancouver win and it's not horrible. But a Chicago win and it's a good night.

If Bowman has shot half a second earlier, it would be an AWESOME night.
Just imagine if you had taken my advice....

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:39 PM
caniac247

Semin played an awesome game tonight. He keeps this up, JR better re-sign him. I'm enjoying seeing him and Staal get more and more chemistry each game. And the best part is they both look like they are having fun. Haven't seen that in awhile.

Ellis was great tonight, but the team also played their best on defense. The forwards backchecked and the defense actually did their job. I thought the 4th line was the best it's been. Though Dwyer complimented Jokinen/Bowman, much better than LaRose. Nodl played like he didn't want to go back to Charlotte.

Fun game. Now let's do it again tomorrow.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:40 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I see that Jokinen got more ice time/PP time, yet still didn't produce. How was he tonight?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
I see that Jokinen got more ice time/PP time, yet still didn't produce. How was he tonight?
Still pretty invisible.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Tony1028

Quote:
He was very good on faceoffs. 11 of 13.

Tony1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Still pretty invisible.
I had a feeling it would be this. I've only seen two Canes games this season and both of them he was invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1028 View Post
He was very good on faceoffs. 11 of 13.
Ya he's usually good with faceoffs (though not this good).

Can you guys tell me what line he played on for ES/PP? I had heard before the game that he was going to be promoted in an effort to get him going. I thought that was funny - Jussi has literally produced nothing so guess what, you're promoted! I mean, I understand why they did it, but it's still funny.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:12 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
I had a feeling it would be this. I've only seen two Canes games this season and both of them he was invisible.

Ya he's usually good with faceoffs (though not this good).

Can you guys tell me what line he played on for ES/PP? I had heard before the game that he was going to be promoted in an effort to get him going. I thought that was funny - Jussi has literally produced nothing so guess what, you're promoted! I mean, I understand why they did it, but it's still funny.
He played with Bowman and Dwyer at even strength, and with E.Staal, Tlusty, Semin and Pitkanen on the powerplay.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Jokinen played a much better game tonight. I would agree that he was invisible up until this point, but his line produced some of our better scoring chances tonight, and he was the cause of a good number of them. Bowman looked good as well.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:02 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys!

Old
02-02-2013, 12:12 AM
jg39
SFY is great

vCash: 517
Canes played a great game tonight. Semin really had a standout performance tonight, both on the attack and the backcheck. Ellis had a good night...no #danellisproblems for him tonight. The 3 days of practice clearly helped the Canes.

The arena was the best its been all season. Whoever called 99.9's postgame and said the arena was quiet was a schmuck. Great atmosphere, and the crowd really got pumped up after the 4min PK. Why the crowd booed that call (and the phantom Skinner goal) is beyond me...sticks+face=bad time.

Had a good time tonight at the game, and nothing starts a weekend like an NHL game. I thought about Mexican food all during the game b/c of the GDT (thanks HF Canes fans)...dollar dogs could only do so much.

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:25 AM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Didn't know that.

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:47 AM
Roboturner913

I was impressed by Nodl in this game and I've not been a fan of his in the past. Also, Gleason decided to stop looking like a dork and the D as a whole played really well, keeping shots wide and playing good angles.

Roboturner913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Clark Gillies
HFBoards Sponsor

Was at the game last night, so I don't have the benefit of replays etc.

Obvious greats were Semin, Jussi in the FO circle, Ellis for the SO (not tested hard).
The top two lines did really well in all 3 zones.

Nodl had a good first game in his limited minutes.

For me the unsung heroes of the game were Justin Faulk and Joni. It is amazing how much better of a defense we can run out there with just one player different. I thought Faulk played an extremely solid game and Joni has really been bringing it since the first game. Barring no trades/injuries, the D pairings should stay as they are.

Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

add Semin = Estaal best start ever
add Jstaal = Skinner best start ever

And I still hear some idiots talking like our acquisitions suck LOL...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:28 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminal Velocity View Post
add Semin = Estaal best start ever
add Jstaal = Skinner best start ever

And I still hear some idiots talking like our acquisitions suck LOL...
2nd best start for Eric. He started off, and played a large part of, the 05-06 season on a 120 point pace

also, worth noting:
Carolina - 18,157 97.2

18K+ per game is pretty damn good

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:41 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Gillies View Post
For me the unsung heroes of the game were Justin Faulk and Joni. It is amazing how much better of a defense we can run out there with just one player different. I thought Faulk played an extremely solid game and Joni has really been bringing it since the first game. Barring no trades/injuries, the D pairings should stay as they are.

I agree with this statement. I thought both played really well, and this was probably the most capable the D has looked this year IMO. Corvo never really even got in a position to burn himself and his teammates, so that was also a victory.

Also, I think I had a DaveG sighting prior to the start of the game. That was probably the lucky push we needed.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:49 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

hi canes fans!
i was wondering if you think picking up semin in a fantasy hockey league would be a good move. he had a great night against us sens tonight. has he been looking good all season, is he heating up, or was this the first time you guys have seen him play great as a hurricane?
semin has always been a senators killer, on top of the sens always having trouble against the canes and spezza missing, i knew we had no chance from the start
anyway, good luck this season!

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote