HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Epictetus
YNWA

vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Anyways, I believe we'll be drafting from 11-15. Nurse, Pulock, Erne (my pick, a more offensive Kulemin..), Mantha, and Nichushkin. I want Erne, Mantha, or Nichushkin BAD. I think Nichushkin slides, being Russian, and Mantha and Erne might be top-10 in any other draft, so we can't really go wrong there.
I like Mantha the most (out of the players you have listed). His finishing is elite, and it's not exactly something you can teach. He's also quite easily, the best goalscorer in this draft.

The rest of his game, particularly defensive responsibility, can be worked out with experience. The point is: he is the best in his draft class at a necessary and sufficient condition of any forward, that is, putting the puck in the net.

If he's on the board and the Leafs have a pick around 10-20, they should select him. It's a simple decision, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I haven't said anything there the pros wouldn't tell you....

How many times have you watched Barkov?
Maybe you just haven't seen him that much... I'm not really going out on a limb with any of that..
I have a tough time seeing some of what you have listed as elite. Nevertheless, even accepting all of that, listing all of a player's positive strengths and no weaknesses (or some form of criticism) is a charitable interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
This is a bold move the Leafs need to make to get OUR RG3, in Mackinnon.
I have a tough time seeing this comparison, particularly when you say Mackinnon is RG3. It's also hard to compare across sports since football by it's nature prides itself on requiring an elite QB, while there is no position set up for success like that in hockey.

Nevertheless, I also do not see this move as necessary. This is the type of draft where you want as many picks as possible, not necessarily the top pick itself.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
8 more games should give us a clear picture on where we are going to be come draft time. It's been 7 games but it'll be interesting to see what happens when mid season ish starts hitting and we can get an idea if we get a top 10 pick or a mid to late pick ofc.

02-01-2013, 01:02 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
8 more games should give us a clear picture on where we are going to be come draft time. It's been 7 games but it'll be interesting to see what happens when mid season ish starts hitting and we can get an idea if we get a top 10 pick or a mid to late pick ofc.
Bro we've been Leafs fans long enough to know that this team can fall off the face of the Earth anytime. I thought we were playoff bound until the hilarity that was February last year

Old
02-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Bro we've been Leafs fans long enough to know that this team can fall off the face of the Earth anytime. I thought we were playoff bound until the hilarity that was February last year

Regardless. I hope the GM is able to quickly react on what happens. Sell to stock up on this draft or let it flow.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:09 AM
keonsbitterness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Ah the glory days which peaked Sat. Feb. 4 when we destroyed the Sens. Sadly it was all downhill after that.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonsbitterness View Post
Ah the glory days which peaked Sat. Feb. 4 when we destroyed the Sens. Sadly it was all downhill after that.
Well in return we got Morgan Rielly, however I am curious to see where this goes. I know we aren't ready for the playoffs yet. So I am willing to give them the window of doubt till the 15 game mark. We also have players like Connolly who we can barter off for picks or prospects for teams that need depth for their push.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:25 AM
keonsbitterness

Quote:
Well in return we got Morgan Rielly, however I am curious to see where this goes. I know we aren't ready for the playoffs yet. So I am willing to give them the window of doubt till the 15 game mark. We also have players like Connolly who we can barter off for picks or prospects for teams that need depth for their push.
Yeah, recent history has me half-expecting us to have a stretch coming up soon where we lose like 10 out of 12.

Wonder what pick Connolly might get us. Maybe a 2nd, more likely a 3rd I would guess.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonsbitterness View Post
Yeah, recent history has me half-expecting us to have a stretch coming up soon where we lose like 10 out of 12.

Wonder what pick Connolly might get us. Maybe a 2nd, more likely a 3rd I would guess.
second for a desperate team, third if we just want to get something atleast.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:45 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

Drouin is an absolute beast. 4 points last night, 13 game point streak (11 goals, 15 assists) and out scoring Nate despite 6 less games. I'd absolutely kill to get him. Watch some goals on YouTube, especially last night. 1 of his goals was filthy. Don't be surprised if he ends up the best from this draft. Don't think he'll go first but he has hockey sence and hands you can't teach

Old
02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Drouin is an absolute beast. 4 points last night, 13 game point streak (11 goals, 15 assists) and out scoring Nate despite 6 less games. I'd absolutely kill to get him. Watch some goals on YouTube, especially last night. 1 of his goals was filthy. Don't be surprised if he ends up the best from this draft. Don't think he'll go first but he has hockey sence and hands you can't teach
Nate is tanking for Toronto.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
Old
02-01-2013, 05:10 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Grigorenko fell from #2 to #12 last year, ya think?

Not this time I fear.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:11 PM
leugangen

Quote:
I love the idea of this hahahah

Old
02-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Lebanese Leaf

If only Drouin could play C in the NHL...

Old
02-01-2013, 08:18 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

Another 2 points in 2 periods tonight. Kids on FIRE

Old
02-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Ramboshaw

Where does Nicholas Petan stand on everyone's draft lists? The kids got 36g 57a 93p after 52 games. Like seriously he's tearing up the Dub.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:31 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboshaw View Post
Where does Nicholas Petan stand on everyone's draft lists? The kids got 36g 57a 93p after 52 games. Like seriously he's tearing up the Dub.
tbh if he was 3 inches taller he would be a top ten pick from what I've seen his size is the only thing he's lacking and he still makes up for it with good instincts. It could be that he's playing for a stacked team but I feel he's going to be a steal if he falls out of the top 40

Old
02-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboshaw View Post
Second rounder some where between 35-50.

But I wouldn't be surprised if some team took him with a late first.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
I don't mind wherever we draft this year. There are good players to go around in the first round.

Ryan Pulock and some other D's definitely have to be on the Leafs radar if we pick 10-14 or make the playoffs and pick 14-20.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
wouldn't that be something? Man I freaking wanted stamkos as he wanted to be here

Old
02-02-2013, 08:38 AM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Another 2 points in 2 periods tonight. Kids on FIRE
I have Drouin ahead of Mackinnon on my list, even before this week's action.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Been watching both of them before this draft and I still don't have Drouin ahead of Mac

Old
02-02-2013, 08:56 AM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Quote:
Been watching both of them before this draft and I still don't have Drouin ahead of Mac
In games I see both play, Drouin simply looks better, I know Mackinnon was hyped more based on last year, but I really try to stay away from that stuff and focus on on ice play. Drouin is a magical player that has the 'it' factor. I'm with Mapes on this one, he has made me a believer and it wouldn't surprise me if he may be better than Mackinnon now. We keep expecting Mac to be better than Drouin but it hasn't happened yet this year.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Cool Hand Luke

I think we'll make the playoffs, but have two firsts (trade Mac or Liles) and move up into the 13th-16th range. I would definitely pick Erne if we end up there. I don't think you can have enough power forward prospects with offensive talent in my opinion. Between Biggs, Leivo and Erne, we would end up with one great PWF if not two.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Epictetus
YNWA

vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I think he's a better and more polished Sam Gagner. Definitely not the player I would want to be taking with a top 3 pick, though.

Quote:
Mackinnon, to Monahan...we need one of those guys and we be good.
Unfortunately, the Leafs need more than that to be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
If only Drouin could play C in the NHL...
He could...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I think we'll make the playoffs, but have two firsts (trade Mac or Liles) and move up into the 13th-16th range. I would definitely pick Erne if we end up there. I don't think you can have enough power forward prospects with offensive talent in my opinion. Between Biggs, Leivo and Erne, we would end up with one great PWF if not two.
Those players will not return a first round pick, especially in this draft.

Lupul could have, and so could players like Kulemin or Gunnarson.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:05 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I think he's a better and more polished Sam Gagner. Definitely not the player I would want to be taking with a top 3 pick, though.
Drouin has made me a believer, there is something special about this player, it certainly would not surprise me if he is indeed better than Mackinnon. Mackinnon gets the higher rating because he is a Center, A point Button even admitted. I look at players impact, and Drouin has made a case his play has been better than Mac's this year. I also think his size will not be a problem in the NHL, his game is not based on strength but high end skill and smarts. Much better than Gagner's IMO. Mackinnon's is on speed and explosiveness. I don't think Mac's physicality will be overstated in the NHL when he plays against bigger men and he is 5'11 180lbs, his game will be speed and hard work in corners. Interesting debate. Regardless, I like Monahan where we are looking to fall, hopefully around 5 or 6.

Closed Thread