HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ellerby- keep him or trade him?: edit: TRADED TO KINGS FOR 5TH RD PICK

Old
02-01-2013, 09:43 AM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Ellerby needs more ice time before we can make any real assessments about keeping him or trading him. The guy was always getting put in and then taken out of the lineup. It's very hard for young players to build confidence when that happens and if they don't have confidence, they're not going to play well.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Kulikov looking better out there last night.

Noone is untouchable, but trades should be made from a position of strength.

Trading either guy now would be a desperation move unlikely to garner the return we'd want.

If someone came calling with a good offer, I think you have to listen... and as a GM it's okay to let it be known that you are open to offers on certain players... but I wouldn't look to trade young players just for the sake of doing something.
Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term untouchable as like you I like tallon to be able to listen to anything.

I just won't be cavalier about any young talented puck moving dmen. You don't move them for a "statement" or sake of change.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term untouchable as like you I like tallon to be able to listen to anything.

I just won't be cavalier about any young talented puck moving dmen. You don't move them for a "statement" or sake of change.
100% agree.

I knew what you meant by untouchable.

Your untouchable means "not worth trading for what we'd likely get" - ie. we'd be selling low on this guy and I have hope for him.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:25 PM
ursavolta

vCash: 825
I honestly like what ellerby brings to the table, I think given some time he would be a great top 6 Mayyybe top 4 d-man.

Thing is it feels like he does not have alot of confidence when he plays - like he lacks that split second reaction. That is why I like Strachan, Campbell and Versteeg. They hold onto the puck and are in no hurry to dump the "problem" to the next guy. Tallon likes d-men who have speed and great outlet passes. The only facets of his game I wish he would work on is his overall Hockey IQ and mayybe his poise with the puck. Hockey IQ isnt something that can be trained so easily. He definitely has the tools, with his height, weight and skating abilities. I remember he was playing tough on the boards trying to make his presence known, occasionally making smart outlets passes, and skating the puck up.|

Every-time he appears in training camp he looks jacked up (putting on muscle mass) which shows he is dedicated on making the team. He just needs time, but if there is a trade that favorably makes the cats better now and the future then I say we should give it a shot.

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:04 PM
rockinghockey

Out of the 4 fwds Yak would be the one that would move as he has only arrived to the team. He has shown to be clutch scoring two big goals. He has really shown that he is a legit 1st over all pick.
What would you guys offer for Yak; Kuli plus what.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:39 AM
FrolikFan67

well since i personally loveeee yakupov, and think him on rw and huberdeau on lw would be insane, id offer:

Kulikov + Petrovic + 1st '13 (if pick 7-30)

have no idea if thats anywhere near as close. plus, id only trade our '13 1st rounder if its pick 7 and up or if mackinnon, barkov, drouin, jones, monahan, and lindholm are all selected because it looks like we could do pretty bad this year, so if this pick were to be included itd be more of an offseason move. although, if that pick is between 7 and 14, the oilers could get kulikov, petrovic, and one of ristolainen/pulock/nurse/zadorov in that package which would be hugeee for your D going forward! not to mention if they wind up with a 7 to 14 pick of their own and could pick up another one of ristolainen, pulock, nurse, or zadorov! the possibility of adding kulikov, ristolainen, zadorov, and petrovic all to your D would be very possible.

id be sooooooo happy if we got yakupov, huge fan of his. one of my favorite non-panther/away players.

and on ellerby, id definitely keep him as of now, hes looking pretty decent so far and id way rather him than jovanovski, unless some team is crazy enough to offer a 1st rounder, which would never happen. we'd be lucky to get a 2nd for him, and id def consider it. if he were to move id listen to a 2nd rounder/solid rw prospect.

Last edited by FrolikFan67: 02-02-2013 at 06:31 AM.
FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Eggblag
#1 Fanthers Pan!

If the Oilers were willing to trade Yakupov, I'd think the price would be very steep but well worth it. the guy is a super talent.

Eggblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Dr Beinfest

We're not getting Yakupov unless we're offering one of Weiss/Versteeg/Fleischmann.

Honestly... why would any team move the #1 overall pick?

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Eggblag
#1 Fanthers Pan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
We're not getting Yakupov unless we're offering one of Weiss/Versteeg/Fleischmann.

They wouldn't imo. One can dream though.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:59 AM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

Quote:

Offering all three would not be enough..I wouldn't want him anyway, not a fan of Liberace on skates

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Offering all three would not be enough..I wouldn't want him anyway, not a fan of Liberace on skates
No -- what I meant was one of Weiss/Versteeg/Fleischmann as part of that '+' with Kulikov. As in, Kulikov, Versteeg, 1st, prospect.

It's a silly notion.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:43 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
No -- what I meant was one of Weiss/Versteeg/Fleischmann as part of that '+' with Kulikov. As in, Kulikov, Versteeg, 1st, prospect.

It's a silly notion.
Why would we give up so much for a prospect that is unproven. Tallon would be stupid to get rid of one of his top line guys + top pairing defenseman PLUS a first, and a prospect? That proposal is crazy. Yakupov scores 5 points in 7 games and our offer for him is our whole roster? Sorry if that came out mean, but really, that's a big over payment.

I'd rather get a proven first line guy for that price.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:56 PM
PanthersRule96

You're kidding yourselves if you think Yakupov is going anywhere. Especially for these average 2nd like guys and Kulikov. And for those saying they wouldn't want him, if he were on Fla, everyone here would love him more than Huberdeau. The guy is an unreal talent and has shown flashes so early on. If we could trade any current players on the roster to get him, it'd be worth it since he's the type of superstar talent prospect that you build around for a decade. Huberdeau is a great prospect but Id trade him ++ for Yakupov in a second. If we actually wanted to try and get him, it'd probably be for Gudbranson. I'd consider a swap of those two just to give us more offense. Look at TPA and how all their offense has been blowing away the league so far.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:54 PM
ginovegas

Habs are looking for size on D
with Boullion on a 1 year contract he could probably fill the 5=6 spot as of next year

what would it take? Weber would probably be a piece that has to go back as part of the package

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:29 AM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
Habs are looking for size on D
with Boullion on a 1 year contract he could probably fill the 5=6 spot as of next year

what would it take? Weber would probably be a piece that has to go back as part of the package
Tinordi is coming for you guys, don't worry.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Why would we give up so much for a prospect that is unproven. Tallon would be stupid to get rid of one of his top line guys + top pairing defenseman PLUS a first, and a prospect? That proposal is crazy. Yakupov scores 5 points in 7 games and our offer for him is our whole roster? Sorry if that came out mean, but really, that's a big over payment.

I'd rather get a proven first line guy for that price.
That proposal is not crazy. That trade is a stupid trade for the Panthers to make, but it is not crazy. That is what it would take to move the #1 overall pick. If nobody can see that... well... sorry guys!

Edmonton isn't moving any of their top players. Yakupov included. You'd have to do something stupid in order to obtain him. It's not up for consideration and it's not up for contemplation.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Eggblag
#1 Fanthers Pan!

Quote:
That proposal is not crazy. That trade is a stupid trade for the Panthers to make, but it is not crazy. That is what it would take to move the #1 overall pick. If nobody can see that... well... sorry guys!

Edmonton isn't moving any of their top players. Yakupov included. You'd have to do something stupid in order to obtain him. It's not up for consideration and it's not up for contemplation.
I agree with you. Edmonton doesn't want to, or have to move him. A team wanting Yakupov would have to make them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

We're not getting Yakupov

02-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Ellerby traded to Kings for 5th rounder

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=654709

Quote:
Florida Panthers Executive VP & General Manager Dale Tallon announced today that the club has acquired a fifth round selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for D Keaton Ellerby. The fifth round draft choice was originally New Jersey’s pick and was acquired by Los Angeles on Feb. 6.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

Wow.

LUUUUUIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
RainingRats

Don't like it. Don't like it all. Ellerby was doing decent and needed to keep getting more ice time. Weak return.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
drwmike

There was a rumor that he was headed to Detroit, but I guess that did not pan out. Good luck to him, hope he gets the chance to develop.

drwmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Disgusting. Unbelievable that Kuba, Weaver are here, yet Ellerby gets traded for a 5th.. So beyond stupid. I am in disbelief.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Beezeral

terrible return, but with the return of Gudbranson, we had 8 D men on the active roster and only Guds is on a 2-way deal. One of Strachan/Weaver/Ellerby had to go. if we don't start the season with all of the injuries to our D-men, this trade never happens

Sucks that it is ellerby and the return is terrible but it is what it is.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Rats96Yo

Wish it was Weaver.

Rats96Yo is offline   Reply With Quote