HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visnovsky Drama Part III (Mod Warning Post #575)

Old
02-01-2013, 07:36 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

vCash: 500
MacDonald is 3rd in the league in TOI/G with 27:49. 3rd in the friggin league. Unless he does something to lose the trust of Jack, Doug, and Brent, he will not be kicked off the first pairing.

I say that Visnovsky has to earn his way into the lineup. If he wanted to be given a roster spot, he could have shown up to training camp. He sits until he earns his way in, and starts from the bottom pairing. No reason to mess with the chemistry of the top 4 until we start losing.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:24 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Sorry about my rant above but Lubo coming here early while we're winning is like Charlize Theoren wanting to date me after I win 7 Billion in the lottery.
you say that like its a bad thing

stranger34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
MacDonald is 3rd in the league in TOI/G with 27:49. 3rd in the friggin league. Unless he does something to lose the trust of Jack, Doug, and Brent, he will not be kicked off the first pairing.

I say that Visnovsky has to earn his way into the lineup. If he wanted to be given a roster spot, he could have shown up to training camp. He sits until he earns his way in, and starts from the bottom pairing. No reason to mess with the chemistry of the top 4 until we start losing.
MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-Strait
Visnovsky-Carkner

That's a damn good D.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:02 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
you say that like its a bad thing
Have to admit I'd welcome her with open arms.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:16 PM
stranger34

I for one will be cheering Viz. I don't think he was being vindictive... just mercurial. During the offseason I was telling people the addition of Lubo + a full year of Nabby were the reasons/changes the Isles needed to make the playoffs. We will be getting both plus some great waiver moves and a resurgent Grabner to boot.

Would anyone be shocked if Viz loves it here and signs an extension? I'd put that scenario at about 20% right now

Old
02-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-Strait
Visnovsky-Carkner

That's a damn good D.
All I can say is Lubo hates playing less than 20 minutes in a game. He just isn't used to that -- 22 to 25 minutes per game is more his usual fare. I think he once got into some mild argument with one of the former Slovak national team coaches when he did not let him play as many minutes as he was used to playing on the Kings (this occurred quite a few years ago).

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:22 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-Strait
Visnovsky-Carkner
I am not picking on you in any way Kevin. I am just borrowing your lines.

I don't like Vis and Carkner together long term, but would live with them for as long as it takes Vis to get his legs under him. Luckily, with him having played overseas, that won't be long. We can all argue who should be with who, but considering that this clubs biggest problem at the moment is preventing goals you will want the 4 best players getting the top ice time. If Vis is one of those 4, then that's how it will happen.

I think you will see some experimenting with pairs regardless of where he lands at first and Hamonic-Vis is going to get a long look.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:22 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I for one will be cheering Viz. I don't think he was being vindictive... just mercurial. During the offseason I was telling people the addition of Lubo + a full year of Nabby were the reasons/changes the Isles needed to make the playoffs. We will be getting both plus some great waiver moves and a resurgent Grabner to boot.

Would anyone be shocked if Viz loves it here and signs an extension? I'd put that scenario at about 20% right now
I doubt he has any intention to play in the NHL again after this season. All he talks about is his Slovan team (even still), he'll be playing there next season.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:30 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I think you will see some experimenting with pairs regardless of where he lands at first and Hamonic-Vis is going to get a long look.

I sure hope so, that means we can put MacDonald and Strait together (our two most reliable defenseman in our own zone). Then put Streit on the 3rd pairing with Carkner.

MacDOnald-Strait
Vish-Hamonic
Streit-Carkner
Hickey

MUCH better!

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I doubt he has any intention to play in the NHL again after this season. All he talks about is his Slovan team (even still), he'll be playing there next season.
I doubt he signs either, but you never know his family might want to spend another year here. There is a lot to see and do in NY. One more year is not impossible to consider.

Nolanitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:25 AM
koyo

Just read in a slovak paper that Lubo is coming to NY next week, a few days before originally planning (after consulting with the doctor).

koyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:49 AM
crashthenet

Our PP is pretty good right now. does he take Franzie's spot?

Moulson - JT - Boyes - Streit - Viz*

Grabner - Aucoin - Okposo - Nielsen* - Hamonic

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:51 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post

Either Frans or Boyes. It wouldn't hurt to put Frans on the 2nd PP unit in hope they'll create more chances.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:09 AM
stranger34

Quote:
true, but the man changes his mood with the way the wind blows.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:13 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post

IDK, a lot will depend on practice.
He would likely be 2nd unit PP to start. If 1st PP starts to get stale, maybe Jack loads up with Lubo & Streit on the points. A nice option to have, especially if the PK leaves the points open.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:28 AM
JKP

Quote:
I doubt he has any intention to play in the NHL again after this season.
Depends on dollars, I suspect...

JKP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
All I can say is Lubo hates playing less than 20 minutes in a game. He just isn't used to that -- 22 to 25 minutes per game is more his usual fare. I think he once got into some mild argument with one of the former Slovak national team coaches when he did not let him play as many minutes as he was used to playing on the Kings (this occurred quite a few years ago).
Awwwww....poor baby.

He wants his minutes...he must EARN them.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:38 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
It would shock me to see Vis plugged into the top four and top PP, especially after this whole situation went down. They didn't did do that with Nino.

If Vis isn't going to be happy earning his minutes, his agent should request a change now.

Last edited by seafoam: 02-02-2013 at 08:46 AM.
seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:36 AM
stranger34

I am really psyched to see Visnovsky coming on board. The offense is already firing on all cylinders and he is just another weapon. With Viz and Streit the Isles have 2 of the best offensive defensemen in hockey. That is a great complementary packlage to AMac, Hamonic, Strait and Carkner.

With Lubo, this is a playoff team. 4-6 seed I predict as long as Nabby stays healthy

Old
02-02-2013, 09:40 AM
NYVanfan

Hey all,
Any update on when he might play?
Outsider 2 cents -- i think they use him to the max pretty quickly. They traded for him, so wanted him here after all, and wasnt he holding out due to some ilness w his kid?
Cheers

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:41 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Sorry about my rant above but Lubo coming here early while we're winning is like Charlize Theoren wanting to date me after I win 7 Billion in the lottery.
She pulled the same crap with me.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:56 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
I agree that Vis should start out with Carkner on the 3rd pair and supplement his minutes by playing on the PP. It's best to start him out there as he acclimates to the situation anyway. I'd put him on 2d PP unit at least to start - why mess up a good thing on the 1st unit?

Later on, I think the easy solution is the following:

Streit - Amac
Vis - Hamonic
Strait - Carkner/Hickey/Martinek

The advantage of this is that if Vis and Hamonic are the 2nd PP unit, they'd get to play together all the time. And while AMac and Hamonic are a great unit, are they really dependent upon each other? And I think Strait would pair up well with Hickey/Carkner/Martinek. My preference would be to keep a rotation on D anyway to keep guys fresh during the compressed schedule. And injuries will "solve" the depth "problem" at some point.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Satan'sIsland81

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
It would shock me to see Vis plugged into the top four and top PP, especially after this whole situation went down. They didn't did do that with Nino.

If Vis isn't going to be happy earning his minutes, his agent should request a change now.
You are comparing Lubomir Visnovsky (an all-star veteran d-man and one of the top 5 scoring blueliners in the entire NHL over the past 5 years) to Nino "one goal" Nieddereiter? Yeah, that makes sense.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:50 AM
19 in a row

so nice to be able to speculate on our defensive chemistry rather than ability for a change .... things are looking up...however, they slot him in we will be better since he will likely be pushing hickey to our 7 and finley out of the picture...

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:09 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post

On a coaching level you want your top PP out there. Vis is going to be on that line sooner rather than later because he is that good. 5 on 5, I could see him going anywhere to start, as defensively he is average, and small. But if Streit continues to look so-so I could see Vis eating into Mark's minutes as well.

I still think he will be traded at some point though so in the end none of this may matter except to increase his value for a move, which is another reason to give him lot's of window shopping minutes.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote