HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Trade for Brassard, and then when Spezza is healthy boot him to wing.

Michalek - Spezza - Silfverberg
Brassard - Turris - Alfredsson
O'Brien - Zibanejad - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil
Daugavins
I would be fine with Brassard or Umberger...but I would be leaning towards Umberger. Good veteran presence and steps his game up hard in the playoffs. Great two-way player. Do want.

Anyone know what's going on with Linus Omark?

Last edited by Curtinho: 02-01-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 01:37 PM
mikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Trade for Brassard, and then when Spezza is healthy boot him to wing.

Michalek - Spezza - Silfverberg
Brassard - Turris - Alfredsson
O'Brien - Zibanejad - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil
Daugavins
But who are you going to trade for him? I'm sure at least one guy out of that lineup is going the other way.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I would be fine with Brassard or Umberger...but I would be leaning towards Umberger. Good veteran presence and steps his game up hard in the playoffs. Great two-way player. Do want.

i like umberger, but do we want him for the next 5 year at 4.6?

Old
02-01-2013, 03:23 PM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
i like umberger, but do we want him for the next 5 year at 4.6?
Exactly. He is arguably worth that when performing very well, but if we ALSO have to give up a lot to get him it's not worth it.

But I'd much rather trade for a winger like Umberger than a Center.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Benjamin
Differently Financed

vCash: 50
Brassard makes sense. Would he eventually be able to play wing?

Umberger would be good if it was for 1-2 seasons but not the next 5 seasons or w.e.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

We have room to absorb the contract and Umberger is the same age as Spezza. It's not a bad contract anyway for a guy that could likely put up 60+ points in our top 6 and provides a good two-way game and he can really amp it up in the playoffs.

I don't know if Umberger is on our radar though.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:10 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Its a trap

Considering Umberger has never once put up 60+ points, that seems like a lofty expectation for the player. Realistically, he's giving you 20 goals, 50 points and good two way play. I'm not opposed to bringing in that type of player but it has to be for the right price. His contract is a huge commitment.

Judging by the Columbus board, he's been pretty awful thus far and their new scapegoat.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Umberger put up 57 and 55 points playing for Columbus. I've no doubts he could put up playing 60 points in the top 6 in Ottawa.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:26 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Its a trap

And Antoine Vermette put up 65 points in Columbus while only managing a high of 53 in Ottawa. A guy like Umberger can put up those numbers on a team like Columbus because he'll get top line minutes and opportunity he otherwise wouldn't get for a quality team with real top line talent. Umberger had 46 points when that team actually made the playoffs.

Umberger is also unfortunately on the wrong side of 30, turning 31 in May. The chances of him ever improving on his career highs are about as good as Jim O'Brien winning the Art Ross.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:29 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Umberger is one of the most underrated players in the league and he absolutely thrives in the spotlight.

I been advocating tryin to acquire him for the past 3 years but became hesitant with that new contract. I'd pay him 4.5 mil but for the next 5 years? I'd make the trade if we didn't give up a lot.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:

felt wasn't getting a fair shot.

He signed a contract in the NLA playing for Zug.

He is doing well over there. 41gp 15g 41a 56pts

Old
02-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
And Antoine Vermette put up 65 points in Columbus while only managing a high of 53 in Ottawa. A guy like Umberger can put up those numbers on a team like Columbus because he'll get top line minutes and opportunity he otherwise wouldn't get for a quality team with real top line talent. Umberger had 46 points when that team actually made the playoffs.

Umberger is also unfortunately on the wrong side of 30, turning 31 in May. The chances of him ever improving on his career highs are about as good as Jim O'Brien winning the Art Ross.
Let's not forget that Vermette is also a fair bit better now...

Old
02-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Murray as looking into Brassard before he got Turris.

Next year if Alfy retires

Zibanejad / Spezza / Michalek
Brassard / Turris / Silfverberg

It works.

Or

Brassard / Zibby / Michalek - The 6th overall line

Old
02-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post

You think that Umberger wouldn't improve on his career totals if he played with someone like Spezza or Turris + Alfie as opposed to Vermette or Brassard? He would definitely be in our top 6 and Vermette got way more responsibility when he went to Columbus.

Also Umberger still put up 50 in 74 as a 3rd year player in Philly. He also put up 15 in 17 in the playoffs with them including 10 goals (then 3 in 4 for Columbus the next year all goals).

Honestly I don't know why people think people just fall off after 30...I don't think there are significant signs of decline, unless a player has a lot of wear and tear, until they're in their mid to late 30s.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:56 PM
DJB

vCash: 4950
Why is everyone looking to make a deal here? Go along with what we have and continue the rebuild.

I think everyone is forgetting that.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Why is everyone looking to make a deal here? Go along with what we have and continue the rebuild.

This. We shouldn't be trading away picks and/or prospects for older players. We need to be letting our prospects play they need to gain NHL experience so they can take on full time NHL roles either next season or the season after that when the rebuild is supposed to be complete. Besides with the quality of players in this draft, we can afford to lose games. Getting a player like Mackninno would be a nice addition for our rebuild.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:03 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
This. We shouldn't be trading away picks and/or prospects for older players. We need to be letting our prospects play they need to gain NHL experience so they can take on full time NHL roles either next season or the season after that when the rebuild is supposed to be complete. Besides with the quality of players in this draft, we can afford to lose games. Getting a player like Mackninno would be a nice addition for our rebuild.
We are not going to suck that bad even if Spezza is out for the year. I suppose there's a small chance of winning the lottery if we miss the playoffs, though.

I think we have to be wary of not ever improving our team, just banking on the prospects. Soon we will lose Gonchar, Alfredsson, maybe Michalek.. As much as we'd like to think that a great prospect pool equals future success much will have to go right for us to get multiple impact players out of them.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:43 AM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 535
I think I should point out that Brassard is by no means a guaranteed success in a top 6 position.

He is only a slight upgrade offensively on Foligno.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:49 AM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

Its nice to say continue the rebuild but its unrealistic..Trades are also apart of a rebuild..When Alfie,Gonch and Philly leaves then what?
Do you really think all our prospects will pan out? Silf althought trying has to produce more Zibby is 19 can wier,benoit and boro play a full season?

Sometimes you have too make a deal im in favor of trading for Brassard hes a local kid and is still young.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:52 AM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I think I should point out that Brassard is by no means a guaranteed success in a top 6 position.

He is only a slight upgrade offensively on Foligno.
Which is a hell of alot better then Regin or Smith...

Old
02-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
You think that Umberger wouldn't improve on his career totals if he played with someone like Spezza or Turris + Alfie as opposed to Vermette or Brassard? He would definitely be in our top 6 and Vermette got way more responsibility when he went to Columbus.

Also Umberger still put up 50 in 74 as a 3rd year player in Philly. He also put up 15 in 17 in the playoffs with them including 10 goals (then 3 in 4 for Columbus the next year all goals).

Honestly I don't know why people think people just fall off after 30...I don't think there are significant signs of decline, unless a player has a lot of wear and tear, until they're in their mid to late 30s.
Would he still be getting over 3 min of pop toi per game?

Old
02-02-2013, 09:33 AM
take a peek

sign semin.

look for offers for michalek over time, if something pops up take it....especially near deadline, depending on playoff status and offers out there. He is a good player, I just feel his 35 goals will be the top of his output and he needs other players to help him get there i.e. unless he is shooting he aint creating much out there.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:42 AM
delchief

I'll raise the ROR talk again. Just because it's fun.

Here are some comparible trades from this past year to consider....

C Jordan Staal for C Brandon Sutter, D Brian Dumoulin, and a 1st-Round Pick (2012)

C Mike Ribeiro for C Cody Eakin and a 2nd-Round Pick (2012)

F James van Riemsdyk for D Luke Schenn

I think Carolina overpaid for Staal. But they have a unique situation there with the brothers (although so does Philly....). The other trades were probably fair market value.

ROR will be 22 this month. He's coming off a 55 point campaign and is a legit second line center or elite 3rd line center. Colorado will not sell his rights for nothing but the longer he is not on their active roster the softer the market may get.

Proposal....

To Ott -- Ryan O'Reilly
To Col -- Patrick Wiercioch and Jim O'Brien

With Spezza in the lineup.....

Zibby - Spezza - Michalek
Lats - Turris - Alfie
Greening - ROR - Neil
Silfverberg - Smith - Condra
(Daug, Regin)

Methot - Karlsson
Boro - Gonchar
Phillips - Benoit
(Lundin)

Andy/Lehner

Without Spezza ROR is a 1st or 2nd line center. No offense but Regin and DaCosta are not 1st or 2nd line centers in the NHL. ROR is younger than Turris and can be with the club for a long time to provide outstanding depth down the middle. JOB is not a huge loss. Wiercioch hurts, especially this year. But he makes the most sense because of his Univ of Denver connection and because Cowen is back next year and because we have some Bingo depth in Boro/Benoit/Gryba and because you have to give to get in any good trade.

Great time to make this deal, I think.......

Old
02-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

lol... you aren't going to get RoR for Jimmy O'Brien and Patrick Wiercioch.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:02 AM
BonkTastic
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by delchief View Post
Proposal....

To Ott -- Ryan O'Reilly
To Col -- Patrick Wiercioch and Jim O'Brien
If you're going to screw someone, the polite thing to do is to buy then dinner first. Murray would have to find out if Greg Sherman has any food allergies first, and make reservations accordingly.

Closed Thread