HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No more triple low five

Old
02-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
The public clipping of PK's wings continues.

I can live without the low 5 I can also live without PK getting roughed up over matters that should be discussed in the dressing room (or coaches office).

Mt 's coyness about PKs retun to the lineup was a bit transparent as well. It hurt to watch it.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:27 AM
LaTenderness

Can we change the name of the thread to Confirmed with link: no more monkey business.

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Kjell Dahlin

After reading some reactions in here, it becomes apparent that Therrien took the right decision.

Not only will this move reinforce the new organizational culture (no more stepping on the logo in the dressing room, all the players saluting the fans after a win, players standing up for each other...) but it will also take some fans and media pressure off of Subban’s shoulders. Therrien will do whatever he can to help Subban reach his full potential.

TSN and RDS often mentioned the “triple low five”; they will need to find another topic of discussion. And I salute Therrien for it!

Two quick notes/reactions:

(1) We are not chatting about goals celebrations here.

(2) Therrien is not the one who first mentioned it (the move, after a win, from an individual celebration to the team, together, saluting the fans) to the media: Price is the one who first mentioned it to the press according to rds.ca.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:29 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Your argument:
He can't become a great defenseman unless he loses his personality.
Not at all.

My argument:

He can become a better defenseman if he matures. The same is true for all young players. Look at how much better Price is right now compared to when he was partying in his early 20's. He matured and became a better player.

Maturing doesn't mean losing your personality.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:31 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

MT didn't say anything about a quadruple low-five

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:32 AM
CaptainBenn
The king is back

Thanks God, PK has a strong confidence in himself
Put Eller/Pacioretty through all the unnecessary bashing going on/the signing situation/the you-wont-play situation etc etc and you destroy a young mans career
The last one was: Latendresse

MT is being ridiculous, why are they giving the media even more things to bash PK about?
But then I might think that maybe Price told Therrien he doesnt like the 3-l-5 ? And hes kinda feeling awkward telling PK "stop low fiving me" ?

CaptainBenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The public clipping of PK's wings continues.

I can live without the low 5 I can also live without PK getting roughed up over matters that should be discussed in the dressing room (or coaches office).

Mt 's coyness about PKs retun to the lineup was a bit transparent as well. It hurt to watch it.

I am 90% sure he plays and I'm sure MT knew it yesterday.

I think the decision was to avoid 1) PK hype leading to today 2) Makes the team .. a TEAM. No one is bigger than the team, so Mike and the coaches will have to "talk" about weather or not he plays today. See if it's right for the TEAM. That just because it's PK Subban, he's not going to get special treatment and play ASAP.

He's playing the media and the fans. I don't think it really back fires. I don't think Mike cares what the fans or media think of his decision to hide it.

-

As for the Triple Low Five. I love it. But I don't really care if it's gone. It really doesn't change ANY element to a team philosophy, and as others mentioned, it looked like Price was forcing himself at the end of the year. I really don't think Price and PK are really bothered by it anyway, not that I can speak for them. It's a nice gimmick, but with a brand new team philosophy and how things are changed.. maybe it's good for the club. Besides, they are doing the fans salute thing at the end of the game, which I like alot more.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Not at all.

My argument:

He can become a better defenseman if he matures. The same is true for all young players. Look at how much better Price is right now compared to when he was partying in his early 20's. He matured and became a better player.

Maturing doesn't mean losing your personality.
You wrote: "... Maturing doesn't mean losing your personality." and, on a board apparently dominated by "rebel" teenagers, it is worth repeating imo!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I am 90% sure he plays and I'm sure MT knew it yesterday.

I think the decision was to avoid 1) PK hype leading to today 2) Makes the team .. a TEAM. No one is bigger than the team, so Mike and the coaches will have to "talk" about weather or not he plays today. See if it's right for the TEAM. That just because it's PK Subban, he's not going to get special treatment and play ASAP.

He's playing the media and the fans. I don't think it really back fires. I don't think Mike cares what the fans or media think of his decision to hide it.
I don't follow your reasoning. If he knew yesterday then he just should've said it rather than have PK twisting in the wind in front of the cameras. As for the reasons you gave:

1. The PK hype is going to be here no matter what. Actually not telling anyone IF he's playing is only going to fuel this.

2. How does not telling PK if he's going to play make the team a TEAM? How does alienating one guy make for a better team concept?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:

I would just want him to get the same treatment as say...Gomez or Redden got, who both joined new teams, and started games with less prep time than Subban has right now with Montreal.

Let's face it, he's at least our #2 d-man. We need him in the lineup. Doesn't matter if his name is Jean-Guy Rubberboots, or Hioki Himarajua, he is a great player and he should be re-inserted into the lineup.

The only special treatment I am seeing, is that he is left to wonder his fate, instead of being confirmed to be in the lineup, probably because he is PK Subban. To me, that's not exactly a great team mentality, to allow someone to flap in the wind like that, but I digress, I'm no NHL coach. It just seems like they are doing their best to make an example out of this young man. When the reality is he really didn't do anything to deserve such an alienating treatment. Just tell the kid if he's playing or not, instead of creating a story for the media to run with.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't follow your reasoning. If he knew yesterday then he just should've said it rather than have PK twisting in the wind in front of the cameras. As for the reasons you gave:

1. The PK hype is going to be here no matter what. Actually not telling anyone IF he's playing is only going to fuel this.

2. How does not telling PK if he's going to play make the team a TEAM? How does alienating one guy make for a better team concept?

1. I agree. I think it's a double edged sword on that one. But I think saying he's playing is going to add more fuel.

2. Who says PK doesn't know he's playing? The media interviews don't really give us any indication of the truth, for this scenario or any past.

Oh and, I also didn't say it would make the team a TEAM. I said that in regards to the public, not revealing weather or not he's going to play. (Lets assume PK knows that he's playing).. it shows the media that listen, Yes we know PK is a superstar, but doesn't mean he is the TEAM. We will treat him like another play, and will 'discuss' weather or not he plays tomorrow.

I'm laying this on complete assumption, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mike knew he would start and PK was already aware. I base it on that because I'm sure Mike knows the media in Montreal pretty damn well, and he's probably real good at playing with the them. I also assume that Mike isn't that big of an ******* to let his #2 D-Man not know if he's going to play in 24 hours, in his first game since April. Makes no sense. I'm assuming both sides know that he is or isn't playing.

Anyway, we will find out around noon anyway. 4
I can't remember the last time one player had so many threads and posts about him.. in the matter of a few weeks.

Last edited by Gary320: 02-02-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old
02-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
2. Who says PK doesn't know he's playing? The media interviews don't really give us any indication of the truth, for this scenario or any past.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Therrien say he'd make his decision today?

Not that I know the intricate details or workings of the team, but that tells me that Subban probably doesn't know either, since Therrien hasn't made an official announcement.

Quote:
I also assume that Mike isn't that big of an ******* to let his #2 D-Man not know if he's going to play in 24 hours, in his first game since April. Makes no sense. I'm assuming both sides know that he is or isn't playing.
Again, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't PK say it himself yesterday he wasn't sure when he was going to be inserted into the lineup, and that he didn't want to "play" GM or coach?

It just seems like Therrien is letting him flap in the wind. Why? I am not sure. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited by Dr Gonzo: 02-02-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Therrien say he'd make his decision today?

Not that I know the intricate details or workings of the team, but that tells me that Subban probably doesn't know either, since Therrien hasn't made an official announcement.
He said he will make his decision today. But what he says to the media, doesn't really mean it's the truth.

Pure assumption here though. No facts from my point. Just seeing this from my POV. I wouldn't be surprised if both sides already knew.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
1. I agree. I think it's a double edged sword on that one. But I think saying he's playing is going to add more fuel.
I don't see how it would. Now the papers are left to wonder if the guy is playing and writing stories on what's going on. Makes no sense to create a story when there need not be one.

If MT seriously felt that he should play on Sunday instead of today (which makes absolutely no sense) then ****ing say so.
Quote:
When asked if he was playing the guy said "I have no idea." And he seemed pretty embarassed when he was asked about it.
Quote:
Oh and, I also didn't say it would make the team a TEAM. I said that in regards to the public, not revealing weather or not he's going to play. (Lets assume PK knows that he's playing).. it shows the media that listen, Yes we know PK is a superstar, but doesn't mean he is the TEAM. We will treat him like another play, and will 'discuss' weather or not he plays tomorrow.
But... they wouldn't treat any other player like this. That's the point. They are going out of their way to "put him in his place."
Quote:
I'm laying this on complete assumption, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mike knew he would start and PK was already aware.

Anyway, we will find out around noon anyway. 4
I can't remember the last time one player had so many threads and posts about him.. in the matter of a few weeks.
If he knew and PK knew... then why not just say it. What the **** is the point of this little game?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't see how it would. Now the papers are left to wonder if the guy is playing and writing stories on what's going on. Makes no sense to create a story when there need not be one.
Yeah, that's actually a good point that I didn't see. Would probably make this 'playing' with the media, completely back fire into his face.

Quote:
If MT seriously felt that he should play on Sunday instead of today (which makes absolutely no sense) then ****ing say so.
On that point, if he doesn't play today but plays tomorrow (win or loss today) than that is just stupid. Especially since there is no practice today and practicing by himself, wouldn't really put him anymore into game shape.

Quote:
When asked if he was playing the guy said "I have no idea." And he seemed pretty embarassed when he was asked about it.
I didn't see that expression. Mostly because I read the quotes. If true, good point.

Quote:
But... they wouldn't treat any other player like this. That's the point. They are going out of their way to "put him in his place."

If he knew and PK knew... then why not just say it. What the **** is the point of this little game?
I'd rather assume that he already knows, because it's a ****ing piss off if you're letting your #2 d-man, out of the loop 24 hours before the game.

On another note.
If anyone seen the new one minute video on Canadiens.com for 24/CH. There is a shot of Subban going into the team buss (assuming back home or maybe to the arena on Wednesday) and he's talking with Price and he asks Price how are things around here. Price states things are good and then he says "Things have changed around here" and he gives him a look.. that you can take TWO different ways. Either a joke or how he's a problem. Depends on what side of the table you are on. Pretty crazy, too bad their isn't a longer conversation to know what they said afterwards

Old
02-02-2013, 11:10 AM
le_sean

By the way, smart move to make it public. Now the heat is on Therrien. Imagine they win a game and there's no triple low five. The media would have a field day about a rift in the dressing room and countdown to when Subban is traded.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
He's the coach. He has all the rights. You have no idea how life works. Are you 13 years old r what?
No son*, I am 57, and have probably forgot more about how life works than you will ever learn.

And, imho, even weighing in on something as innocuous as this is beyond petty.

*(not onebighockeyfan's actual father.... )

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:24 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Thanks God, PK has a strong confidence in himself
Put Eller/Pacioretty through all the unnecessary bashing going on/the signing situation/the you-wont-play situation etc etc and you destroy a young mans career
The last one was: Latendresse

MT is being ridiculous, why are they giving the media even more things to bash PK about?
But then I might think that maybe Price told Therrien he doesnt like the 3-l-5 ? And hes kinda feeling awkward telling PK "stop low fiving me" ?
The differences in Lats and PK are way too long to mention here, but in almost all of them PK comes out on top.

Pacioretty asked to stay in the minors to work on his game to become more prepared for his eventual role (top 6). PK tried to be the show as soon as he got drafted.
Pacioretty signed a bridge contract (worse than PK's) played his ass off and proved he deserved his long term deal (at a hometown discount). PK.. nuff said.
Eller finds himself in a bit of a situation right now, not because of attitude or even playing ability. He finds himself almost lumped in with the rookies. Which in many respects he still is. It take power forwards longer to develop.... almost as much time as Dmen.

The past few seasons in Mtl have been like an episode of the twilight zone. Injuries... bipolar management...schitzo coaches...the saga of Lats and Laps, the Kostys... 2 french players who got too much press too soon and became a celebrity distraction. Two Russians who had similar problems....Lots of praise... lots of criticism... seemingly little control asserted from management and we have 4 very talented players who would now be veterans (quite useful ones maybe). None of them was ever going to be an elite player in the league and win individual trophies.

PK is, everything you can want in a player. Talent combined with an overwhelming desire to succeed. By all accounts he has a great work ethic. So what's the problem...PK was thrust into a role he has the talent for but was not ready for. Not his fault, no one on our D was going to be any better at it..... efforts were made to bring in guys but in all cases PK was still the better call. As a 3rd year DMan, he'll just be starting to come into his own. Yes he did well his 1st 2 years, that should indicate just how great he'll be. What Terrien and MB are trying to do is what should have been done 2 years ago... treat him like a young player ... yes I realize he's been benched before... but at the time that hurt the team more than him. PK will still play big minutes, but much like the Gally's his MT will try to put him in situations where he can succeed (even more). I hope they can stay with the plan, I think PK will hoist a cup with us sooner than later.

Pro Hockey players are not fragile psyches, they've put up with criticism at every level. They pick themselves up and move forward, fail, or get a fresh start somewhere else. Patches is very smart and has managed to steer clear of controversy, doesn't mean he doesn't get grief from the coach. With Eller, time will tell what his character is. We all know the Lats and Laps saga. It should say volumes that he wasn't able to stick in Minny. Laps went to a much better fit for him. I haven't heard the name Kostitsyn all year

PK gets a chance now to show his character. So far he's doing it well and saying the right things. He's gonna be a great player, hopefully for us forever.

The low 5 was a spur of them moment invention from 2 kids just new in the league and having fun... (see Gally X 2). Price had his fair share of "signature" moves, so has PK.. youthful exuberance is good.... but.... Time to put the big boy pants on now, let the kids be the kids... if you wanna be paid like a veteran, prove you can act like one.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
but I digress, I'm no NHL coach.
Neither is Therrien. This isn't news.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
Can we change the name of the thread to Confirmed with link: no more monkey business.
high-five

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:28 PM
RC51

Which do you think should be more important to PK. A low five with Price for the fans, or that ALL and not just half, his team mates respect him as a TEAM player. The low five thing should be just the first of changes the NEW PK should make. MT should now pat PK on the back every time PK makes a selfless act for the team. His team mates should voice a genuine thank you when PK hold to his promise to be that TEAM player. Help the kid to finally grow as a true full and complete NHL professional.
Then PK will be that superstar we all know he can be.
Tremendous respect has been earned by Price since he himself turned that corner. I can see in a few years that it will be Price and PK that show the rookies how to be a real NHL PRO, and the torch shall be passed on. The torch of dedication, the torch of Team work, the torch of self sacrifice, the torch of 24 Stanley Cups, the TORCH OF THE MONTREAL CANADIENS.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:34 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Triple low-five's after the game was about the most inoffensive celebrations IMHO.

I'm afraid to see what management will do when it will be offensive.

I think we need to rename MT to Michelle Therrien, as this makes me fell like hockey is being managed by frustrated women: can't do this, can't do that.

Ridiculous.

If a team "over-celebrates" let the opposing team respond on the ice and not like little girly's that talk behind their backs.

Next the locker rooms are gonna smell "potpourri".

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

only in Montreal is this a story

what a joke

luckily there is a game in 20 mins

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I've always find those kind of rules ridiculous. Reminds me of NYY no long hair rule.

Not a big deal tho.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
only in Montreal is this a story

what a joke

luckily there is a game in 20 mins
Exactly. I hope PK has a great game and helps the Habs win like I know he can. All this drama about the low five crap is senseless. The coach does not like it, the coach does not like it. The coach does not like the way a player is performing, he gets bench. Like White today. Simple. All this nonsense about MB and MT being dumb and useless after 6 games and a 4-2 record is just ridiculous. Plus Subban got signed to a respectable deal and his back in the lineup. Some of you guys need to give your heads a serious shake.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote