HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Views on the Toronto Maple Leafs (Mod: the hockey team)

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 10:19 AM
In burke I trust*

vCash: 500
Views on the Toronto Maple Leafs (Mod: the hockey team)

I am curious as to what the league thinks off TML. I have noticed that as of late, I have been having a ionsanely biased opion (who doesn't for there team). What is the impressions you guys get when the leafs play your team, who do you think is our best player, worst, or overrated? Do you guys think that Leafs Nation will make the playoffs this year or not? Feel free to add anything else you think about the Leafs.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
When I see the Leafs playing my team I think...

2 points.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:21 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

They have grown on me since my last tirade about them 2 weeks ago.

Some young talent. Remier could be the answer in net, just as he might not be. Who knows.

But for a team hovering out of the playoffs for as long as they have, there are close to no building blocks. No real star players coming through the pipeline.

Burke did not do a good job.

But I'm sure because I'm an "Islanders fan" that my opinion has no merit.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:23 AM
professorchaos

The team's ok (except for Panhoof), MLSE with Toronto media on the other hand.........

Old
02-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by In burke I trust View Post
I am curious as to what the league thinks off TML. I have noticed that as of late, I have been having a ionsanely biased opion (who doesn't for there team). What is the impressions you guys get when the leafs play your team, who do you think is our best player, worst, or overrated? Do you guys think that Leafs Nation will make the playoffs this year or not? Feel free to add anything else you think about the Leafs.
For years I've said that the Leafs should rebuild and for years they did the opposite. I think in the long run losing out on picks/prospects that turned into Luongo, Rask, Seguin, Couture, Hamilton... has obviously hurt them. You could even go as far back as Niedermayer... the Leafs just always seemed to deal away picks that could've helped them.

They've got some decent players right now but I don't think its enough for the playoffs without better goaltending. Hopefully for their sake Nonis doesn't go the quick fix route and try for something like Luongo. They're better off just building with Reily, Kadri and whatever else they have in the system.

Kessel is young enough to build with but to be honest it might make sense to deal him. No fault of his own, he's a great player but the trade has haunted him and the Toronto media will never let him live it down. I think he could use a fresh start somehwere else and the Leafs could build with whatever they get in return. (And for the record, when I've seen him play this year he's looked really good. He doesn't have the stats but that's not due to lack of effort.)

In short, let nature take its course. If they make the playoffs... great. If it looks like they're going to miss they should start dealing away vets and rebuild. Deep draft this year could help them and they've already got a few good prospects to build with. If they do the opposite of what they've done and actually try to trade vets for prospects I think they'll be better off in the long run.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:33 AM
In burke I trust*

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorchaos View Post
The team's ok (except for Panhoof), MLSE with Toronto media on the other hand.........
i have to agree with you on that one, MLSE and toronto fans live in a world all their own which makes no player want to come here.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
They have grown on me since my last tirade about them 2 weeks ago.

Some young talent. Remier could be the answer in net, just as he might not be. Who knows.

But for a team hovering out of the playoffs for as long as they have, there are close to no building blocks. No real star players coming through the pipeline.

Burke did not do a good job.

But I'm sure because I'm an "Islanders fan" that my opinion has no merit.
Not at all, instead, its for statements like "no real star players coming through the pipeline", when all indications are that Morgan Rielly will be a pretty good player, who definitely has star potential.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:36 AM
In burke I trust*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
For years I've said that the Leafs should rebuild and for years they did the opposite. I think in the long run losing out on picks/prospects that turned into Luongo, Rask, Seguin, Couture, Hamilton... has obviously hurt them. You could even go as far back as Niedermayer... the Leafs just always seemed to deal away picks that could've helped them.

They've got some decent players right now but I don't think its enough for the playoffs without better goaltending. Hopefully for their sake Nonis doesn't go the quick fix route and try for something like Luongo. They're better off just building with Reily, Kadri and whatever else they have in the system.

Kessel is young enough to build with but to be honest it might make sense to deal him. No fault of his own, he's a great player but the trade has haunted him and the Toronto media will never let him live it down. I think he could use a fresh start somehwere else and the Leafs could build with whatever they get in return. (And for the record, when I've seen him play this year he's looked really good. He doesn't have the stats but that's not due to lack of effort.)

In short, let nature take its course. If they make the playoffs... great. If it looks like they're going to miss they should start dealing away vets and rebuild. Deep draft this year could help them and they've already got a few good prospects to build with. If they do the opposite of what they've done and actually try to trade vets for prospects I think they'll be better off in the long run.
I also hope for a rebuild as i do think it is the only way to become a dynasty cup contender. I hate looking at the players we could of had through the draft. I hope Nonnis does a good job here now, even though he's alrady been here for a while.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:36 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Not at all, instead, its for statements like "no real star players coming through the pipeline", when all indications are that Morgan Rielly will be a pretty good player, who definitely has star potential.
Ok, fine, I agree about Morgan Rielly. I just think there should be more talent on the ice, AT THIS JUNCTURE, for finishing out of the playoffs for as long as the Leafs have. And you can't even say definitively they can make it anytime soon. Eastern Conference is way too strong.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:37 AM
In burke I trust*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I'm extremely excited for morgan reilly and hope he becomes a star.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Morlu

I agree they have no superstar players but they are loaded with top 6 talent forwards.

Leafs Defencemen and goaltending remains the question mark for this team.

You know a team is bad when die hard Leaf haters are starting to cheer for the Leafs. I've seen several prominent leaf haters on these boards rooting them on. Maybe they just don't want them to get Mackinnon lol

Old
02-02-2013, 10:45 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlu View Post
I agree they have no superstar players but they are loaded with top 6 talent forwards.

Leafs Defencemen and goaltending remains the question mark for this team.

You know a team is bad when die hard Leaf haters are starting to cheer for the Leafs. I've seen several prominent leaf haters on these boards rooting them on. Maybe they just don't want them to get Mackinnon lol
The Leafs could use him Jones. The Islanders franchise turned around when they got Tavares. They need to rebuild and pick up a cornerstone. The pieces start falling in place from there.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

Considering they have been so bad for so long and missed the playoffs for 8 straight years...the law of averages dictates they will probably be better and make the post season soon(perhaps this year as they are playing better).

Old
02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

will miss playoffs be around 9-10th. That is if Reimer shows he can be atleast an average #1.

12-14th in east if not

Fans are too ridiculous game by game. the defence is awful.Leafs will make playoffs when/if Gardiner comes up and becomes a proven #1-3 because they have no offence from the blueline and Franson isnt being utilized correctly (guy needs more PP time)

Old
02-02-2013, 10:56 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Minor nitpick -- the Leafs pick was used to select Lars Eller, not Logan Couture.

Last edited by Fugu: 02-04-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: ...
Old
02-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

They're honestly a boring, uninteresting team that gets an absurd amount of media attention... But I like watching them it's like a soap opera.

My dad is a leafs fan so by default I cheer for them secretly.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Kessel was the wrong player to build around. Great player and i've never been a fan but i do try to be unbiased towards him. I just don't think that he should be "The" player.

Kessel would be best as a 2nd/3rd threat on offense

Old
02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
Kessel was the wrong player to build around. Great player and i've never been a fan but i do try to be unbiased towards him. I just don't think that he should be "The" player.

Kessel would be best as a 2nd/3rd threat on offense

Last season there were 5 guys that had more points than him. Unless he's playing on Pittsburgh, he's not a #2/3 threat. That's absurd.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:06 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 999
Too much media attention of the CHL, World Juniors, and the Leafs has warped the fans views of their players and prospects. The team has a lot of good players & prospects but it's always going to be hard for them to live up to the immense hype surrounding them.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post

2 points.
That's funny...because I'm pretty sure that we beat Tampa all of last season in the 4 games that we played against them.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:09 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

It's good to see some of the younger guys getting more time - and esp. nice that Kadri's showing signs of life.

I don't think it's a playoff team this year...but it looks like it's starting to trend upwards a bit.

I cringed at the contract they gave Lupul - that will be hard to move and I think he's a guy who, with a more attractive deal, could have been moved to improve the team.

Kessel really needs to get going.

I don't love watching the team under Carlyle's system...he's choked the life out of the offense - and now, not only is the team mediocre, but it's boring to watch. At least with Wilson, as bad as the team was, the games were entertaining enough b/c there was more push to the offense.

It's amazing that 3 years after Phaneuf was traded to Toronto I haven't warmed to the guy at all...I'm not saying he's a bad player...it's just that I can't stand him.

Those are my views on the Leafs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
That's funny...because I'm pretty sure that we beat Tampa all of last season in the 4 games that we played against them.
ftw!

Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 02-02-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old
02-02-2013, 11:14 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
The Leafs could use him Jones. The Islanders franchise turned around when they got Tavares. They need to rebuild and pick up a cornerstone. The pieces start falling in place from there.
pieces like what? the same "nothing coming through the pipeline" argument can be said for the islanders

Old
02-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post

2 points.
You mean 2 points lost right?

Leafs have traditionally owned Tampa.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Best player on the ice? JVR or Kadri, think both have played exceptionally well this year.

Most overrated player? I think its Phaneuf or Kessel. I firmly believe last year was a fluke year for Kessel, and so fat this year it sure looks that way. I've never been high on Kessel though. Phaneuf has looked bad this year as well.

Do I think they will make playoffs? Nope, goaltending is weak and without Phaneuf playing to the level he's capable of the Defense is weak too. Kessel also should at least be scoring a couple of goals by now. With all 3 areas lacking I don't see them doing much. IMO they need to trade Kessel and some other assets and start a full blown rebuild. No draft better then this one to do it either.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Used to hate them for the media attention and how they pretty much bought a contender through free agency from late 90's until the lockout.

Now..I see a team that improved marginally in 3 or 4 trades, but effed up the biggest one they made. Bad luck I guess. AFAIC Seguin alone will likely be better than Kessel and Hamilton looks stellar as well. Hard not to rehash the trade it literally cost them a young blue chip player just for trying to short cut rebuilding. It's so old and tired but that trade could haunt them for a very long time.

Closed Thread