HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v25: Terrence Ross named to Slam Dunk Competition

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
Who cares about LeBron when we have Rudy Gay

Old
02-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Read a stat that DeMar has been averaging over 5 assists per game in the past 7 or so games. I think the DeMar/Gay combo will work out very nicely for us. I feel both compliment each other well.

With regards to those who were flaming on the deal because of Gay's supposed salary, I'd just like to say that its better that a team run by Bryan Colangelo pays big money to guys who at least sort of deserve it rather than dishing out ridiculous money for off-the-bench players like Kleiza and Fields.

With regards to Fields, granted he is overpaid, but I can see him being a valuable guy off the bench on a bona fide playoff team. The guy can play man on man D and is a decent rebounder. Kleiza's contract should most likely be amnestied.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is the only time that I've seen BC acquire a sure thing. I don't care the amount he's being paid for it. The guy is 26 and can be a part of our core moving forward.

02-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Dwight K Schrute

I don't think the playoffs are going to happen this season but they sure as hell will next season. If this team can gel at all a starting five of JV-Amir-Gay-Derozan-Lowry is solid enough to finished 5-8 in the East.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:17 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Just watching Sportscentre and I got a better look at the Butler steal at the end of the game (I had kind of looked away in the waning seconds figuring that running the clock out was a foregone conclusion)

Holy ****, that was an even bigger dick move than I initially thought.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

What made it bad is that he completely faked out Val, going in for the handshake, then just stealing the ball.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:20 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Just watching Sportscentre and I got a better look at the Butler steal at the end of the game (I had kind of looked away in the waning seconds figuring that running the clock out was a foregone conclusion)

Yeah that was just stupid by him. Almost as bad as Ricky Davis' triple double attempt. Just a way to pad the stats and the worst part is that you're dubbing a player into doing something so stupid. What an idiot.

02-02-2013, 01:25 AM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

At least it's a learning experience for Val.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

Watching it on highlights I can't help but think of this

Old
02-02-2013, 02:10 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Don't ever trust the opposition.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:49 AM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
I don't think the playoffs are going to happen this season but they sure as hell will next season. If this team can gel at all a starting five of JV-Amir-Gay-Derozan-Lowry is solid enough to finished 5-8 in the East.
I agree with you. I think playoffs are going to be hard this year at 17-30, but I DEFINITELY see and expect them next year. I think this core is for sure good enough to land in that 6-8 range in the East with a full year together (hopefully no injuries).

Old
02-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Nice to see Rudy Gay have such an impact. I have a question regarding what Butler did, why is it frowned upon because it's pointless? I know it's stupid as it's pointless but gotta ask lol.

02-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Nice to see Rudy Gay have such an impact. I have a question regarding what Butler did, why is it frowned upon because it's pointless? I know it's stupid as it's pointless but gotta ask lol.
It's just disrespectful. Sort of an unwritten rule by the players. Especially the fact he went in for a handshake. Just a dick move, really.

02-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Man, I see so many parallels between the Raps and the Buds with respect to the trajectory they are both on. There are so many matches with respect to players, both in the rolls they play, how they were obtained and how they are perceived now.

1. Rudy Gay - Dion Phaneuf. Both phenoms when drafted who came out strong, but slowly lost their way, and ended up in bad situations with the teams that drafted them. Both acquired for spare parts, and both come in to play a leadership role.

2. Demar Derozan - Nazim Kadri. Two relatively high picks who have progressed somewhat slowly compared to what has been expected by the fan base. Both have ridiculous amounts of skill, and are slowly putting it together. Both will become amazing professionals IMO.

3. Kyle Lowry - Phil Kessel. Both obtained for just draft picks. Both extremely talented, both high-end complimentary pieces. Both somehow simultaneously under-appreciated and over-rated. Will both be very important parts of the team going forward.

4. Jonas Valanciunas - Morgan Reilly. The great white hope(s). Both dropped in the draft, only in hindsight to be considered the best player taken. Both will look at times to be beyond their respective age, but both will have a lot to learn. Both will be relied upon greatly by their respective clubs.

5. Amir Johnson - Joffery Lupul. Late bloomers. Both given a chance by their new clubs, and both blossomed. Different paths (Lupul through injury, Johnson through limited minutes), but both have gone through multiple teams, and both were traded to Toronto for very little. Both embrace Toronto, and have become leaders both on and off the court.

6. Landry Fields - Mike Komisarek. Both parlayed one good season into a career. Both overpaid, and both considered free-agent mistakes. Both have value, and are good role-players, but neither will ever live up to their contracts. Both had an injury that effected their ability to play, probably for the remainder of the their careers (Landry-hand, Komi - fight with Lucic)

7. Andrea Bargs - Luke Schenn. Both high draft picks that didn't turn out. Both picked higher than they should have been, and therefore neither could live up to the hype. Schenn traded for JVR. Bargs likely to be. Who will be the Raps JVR?

8. Alan Anderson - Clarke MacArthur. Both used in situations that they would not have been if they didn't have to be. Talent is there, but not really. Borderline starter - borderline top 6. Will likely both be traded for a pick.

9. Terrence Ross - Matt Frattin. Just getting a taste of what is in store for these two. Could both be support players, but could also both be very, very good. Both possess the drive and talent to be game-changers. Difference being, one was drafted high, one drafted late, but both have a fairly high ceiling.

Kind of ran out of Raps that matter, but I think you get the picture. I see this as a turning point for both teams. Whether or not we will see a championship in either case remains to be seen. If JV and Reilly turn out as hoped, and if the Raps make a Bargs trade as good as the Schenn - JVR one seems to have been, we might be onto something.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
It's just disrespectful. Sort of an unwritten rule by the players. Especially the fact he went in for a handshake. Just a dick move, really.
Ah okay, and yea that was pretty stupid after he went from a handshake.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:23 AM
kfernandes29

Quote:
It's also so frowned upon because as the team dribbling out the clock, you're trying to do the right thing by not running up the score further. For him to try to steal the ball is such a ***** move.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfernandes29 View Post
It's also so frowned upon because as the team dribbling out the clock, you're trying to do the right thing by not running up the score further. For him to try to steal the ball is such a ***** move.
Understandable.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Koto

do you guys think that it is possible to upgrade the roster further before the deadline?

who are the good targets out there? who do we have left that is available and valuable.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Watching highlights of last night's game has me thinking that maybe.....just maybe, that BC knows what he is doing. But then again, he is in his last contract year so he has to win ands making a big splash he is thinking will woe MLSE into resign him.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
I think they get the rebound. But I can't be sure.

y'know, that's a really good question
I am pretty sure they do get the rebound. That is why Aaron Gray and Amir Johnson get so many rebounds

Old
02-02-2013, 10:26 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Only thing he could learn is Butlers a p*ick.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:31 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
It's like breaking out a huge run at the end of a football game with a 20 point lead, you take the slide. Jonas was killing the rest of the time instead of scoring on them, and he goes for the handshake, then strips the ball and gets two free throws out of it. All so he could get a steal and 2 points? Why do the 2 points matter so much to you that you have to fake a hand shake? Just a ********* move.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Shimso

Maybe Butler had Butler on his fantasy team.

I hate the whole notion of "running up the score" when talking about multi-millionaire professional athletes playing for fans who paid for 4 full quarters (I only accept "running up the score" as a problem if the players involved are little kids, not professionals), but if its accepted that you don't score on your opponent, its a weak move to do what he did.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Dwight K Schrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Man, I see so many parallels between the Raps and the Buds with respect to the trajectory they are both on. There are so many matches with respect to players, both in the rolls they play, how they were obtained and how they are perceived now.

1. Rudy Gay - Dion Phaneuf. Both phenoms when drafted who came out strong, but slowly lost their way, and ended up in bad situations with the teams that drafted them. Both acquired for spare parts, and both come in to play a leadership role.

2. Demar Derozan - Nazim Kadri. Two relatively high picks who have progressed somewhat slowly compared to what has been expected by the fan base. Both have ridiculous amounts of skill, and are slowly putting it together. Both will become amazing professionals IMO.

3. Kyle Lowry - Phil Kessel. Both obtained for just draft picks. Both extremely talented, both high-end complimentary pieces. Both somehow simultaneously under-appreciated and over-rated. Will both be very important parts of the team going forward.

4. Jonas Valanciunas - Morgan Reilly. The great white hope(s). Both dropped in the draft, only in hindsight to be considered the best player taken. Both will look at times to be beyond their respective age, but both will have a lot to learn. Both will be relied upon greatly by their respective clubs.

5. Amir Johnson - Joffery Lupul. Late bloomers. Both given a chance by their new clubs, and both blossomed. Different paths (Lupul through injury, Johnson through limited minutes), but both have gone through multiple teams, and both were traded to Toronto for very little. Both embrace Toronto, and have become leaders both on and off the court.

6. Landry Fields - Mike Komisarek. Both parlayed one good season into a career. Both overpaid, and both considered free-agent mistakes. Both have value, and are good role-players, but neither will ever live up to their contracts. Both had an injury that effected their ability to play, probably for the remainder of the their careers (Landry-hand, Komi - fight with Lucic)

7. Andrea Bargs - Luke Schenn. Both high draft picks that didn't turn out. Both picked higher than they should have been, and therefore neither could live up to the hype. Schenn traded for JVR. Bargs likely to be. Who will be the Raps JVR?

8. Alan Anderson - Clarke MacArthur. Both used in situations that they would not have been if they didn't have to be. Talent is there, but not really. Borderline starter - borderline top 6. Will likely both be traded for a pick.

9. Terrence Ross - Matt Frattin. Just getting a taste of what is in store for these two. Could both be support players, but could also both be very, very good. Both possess the drive and talent to be game-changers. Difference being, one was drafted high, one drafted late, but both have a fairly high ceiling.

Kind of ran out of Raps that matter, but I think you get the picture. I see this as a turning point for both teams. Whether or not we will see a championship in either case remains to be seen. If JV and Reilly turn out as hoped, and if the Raps make a Bargs trade as good as the Schenn - JVR one seems to have been, we might be onto something.
Kyrie Irving says Hi

Old
02-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Hyperglide

Quote:
It's kind of an unwritten rule and a code in the NBA, that when you are up big and you have control of the ball at the end of the clock, you dribble it out out of respect and to not run up the score and stat pad.

It's just a code amongst men in the league, but apparently it doesn't apply to the Los Angeles Clippers (can team). Obviously you should never expose the ball either but normally you wouldn't expect your opponent to go for a steal and score with 3 seconds left on the clock.

What Butler did was broke the old boys rule and scored in a meaningless portion of the game and it's a lack of respect to the Raptors to do something like that.

Raptors could've even gone for the coveted 100th point for their fans and decided not to so it just amplified what Butler did even more. That's why the fans were so pissed.

Pretty ****** thing to do, but now that I think about it a bit it was pretty damn hilarious too. J-Val still shouldn't have had the ball exposed like that. Rookies gonna rook.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Kyrie Irving says Hi
Thanks for reading the whole thing and picking one thing to **** on. Really appreciated.

Closed Thread