HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Corey perry at trade deadline

Old
02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Unagi

vCash: 500
I can still remember teams being interested but unable to fit his salary under their cap. And his cap was 6.3 and Perry is 5.3.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Faltorvo

1rst , good but not blue chip prospect would be the core of it.

Mind you, with the rule changes, it does make one wonder how teams value their 1rst now, if they are a team that is not a 100% PO contender.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I can still remember teams being interested but unable to fit his salary under their cap. And his cap was 6.3 and Perry is 5.3.
By the time the trade deadline rolls around, nearly every team can fit $6M since the cap charge is pro-rated for the remaining months.

I do believe Perry will return more than Kovy though. The reason being, I see more teams being interested in him and his style of play. Still, I don't think it will be significantly more.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:10 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Niclas Bergfors, Johnny Oduya, Patrice Cormier and a 1st round pick was Kovalchuk's return. That's similar to what the Ducks would get for Perry? I don't know...
Actually it was :

Bergfors + Oduya + Cormier + 1st + 2nd

for

Kovalchuk + Salmela + 2nd

... just sayin' !

But yeah, it could be something similar.

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

I actually wonder what the cramped schedule/shortened season does to trade value if at all. Will be interesting to watch.

Any case, I doubt Perry returns anything more than a solid but not "elite" prospect, 1st, and a depth player. Unless there's a GM that's willing to just blow away the rest of the trade market, it's pretty risky for a guy who is a good winger but a rental and you're pretty much just buying him for the hope of a long playoff run.

Right now, the logical fit/team to me is the Pens. I know my team (Devs) really could use to add another Top 6 winger, but I don't see us in the Perry conversation for a number of reasons (one being that we have to sacrifice a #1 these next two years, and two being that Perry is unsigned and we already have a core of guys who are headed to UFA and three, we need to replace some of our aging players these next few years with our prospect pool and really should try not to deplete it unless there's a contract-controlled NHL level talent coming back).

Traitor Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
Actually it was :

Bergfors + Oduya + Cormier + 1st + 2nd

for

Kovalchuk + Salmela + 2nd

... just sayin' !

But yeah, it could be something similar.
That second round pick became Jon Merrill. Devils top prospect

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Can someone fill me in on the cap sharing? Is it limited in years or the length of the contract?

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:41 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

I think all you can get from the Kovalchuk and Hossa returns is that an elite rental player at the deadline will go for 1st + a collection of non-essential players and good prospect, which makes sense. To assume Perry would get less or more based on rational reasons about stats, awards, age or salary, kinda assumes trade deadline behaviour to be rational, which it isn`t in all cases. It also as always depends on your idea of how your prospect relates to Esposito or Cormier, which again, not always rational. It could end up either way.

I still kind of think he ends up re-signing. I am 70% sure Getzlaf will re-sign and he hasn`t done so either, so the status quo doesn`t tell me too much about Perry´s intentions.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'm noticing a bit of a trend emerging from the state of Pennsylvania. It seems to be: your players aren't worth much; gimme, gimme, gimme!

He won the Hart trophy for ****sakes he's not going be dirt cheap, well, within the context of premium rental prices.
If that was directed at me I don't think I was being unfair to Perry's talent. I think he's at least a top 10, more likely top 5, winger in the NHL. However, Kovalchuk and Hossa were very similar players when they were dealt for pretty much what I listed off.

If you can think of better comparable deals I'd be happy to consider a counter argument.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:58 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Similar to Kovy return, but would be slightly more IMO since Anaheim can retain cap space.

Don't think perry leaves though.
He's a UFA after the season. The only cap space they can retain is this year. His cap hit is low and at the deadline teams will have plenty of space to fit a player like him in. Cap space irrelevant. But his value will be very high.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
bonzaibondra12

Since BB is the coach how about;
Laich + Galiev + 1st?

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Perry, anaheim eats 3 mill of his cap, and all of a sudden his value his sky high.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He's a UFA after the season. The only cap space they can retain is this year. His cap hit is low and at the deadline teams will have plenty of space to fit a player like him in. Cap space irrelevant. But his value will be very high.
I don't think cap space is irrelevant. The fact that someone can essentially pick up Perry at less than 3 million in cap space makes him more valuable as a rental IMO.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
If that was directed at me I don't think I was being unfair to Perry's talent. I think he's at least a top 10, more likely top 5, winger in the NHL. However, Kovalchuk and Hossa were very similar players when they were dealt for pretty much what I listed off.

If you can think of better comparable deals I'd be happy to consider a counter argument.
It wasn't directed at you. It was directed at anyone that was stating that Perry couldn't return what Kovalchuk and Hossa did.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
I think he means sign-and-trade.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It wasn't directed at you. It was directed at anyone that was stating that Perry couldn't return what Kovalchuk and Hossa did.
Fair enough, I agree with that assessment. Perry is an elite talent, on the right side of 30, and the Ducks aren't constrain by any NTC; he's about as good a rental as any team could hope for.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Nikko*

I think that Bob Murray knows whether he is going to be able to keep Perry or not right now. And if he isn't, I'd like him to start shopping him now, especially with all the young talent the Ducks have coming up. The Ducks have been playing great under Bodreau's system and if Perry isn't going to resign, I say kick his ass out now and plug in the new piece. I don't know why I'm the only Ducks fan who feels this way.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:46 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Since BB is the coach how about;
Laich + Galiev + 1st?
Not nearly enough. Well maybe if it ends up top five pick.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
I think that Bob Murray knows whether he is going to be able to keep Perry or not right now. And if he isn't, I'd like him to start shopping him now, especially with all the young talent the Ducks have coming up. The Ducks have been playing great under Bodreau's system and if Perry isn't going to resign, I say kick his ass out now and plug in the new piece. I don't know why I'm the only Ducks fan who feels this way.
Pretty sure they havnt even talked to his agent yet, i think most of us would say if perry isnt going to resign sell him asap and try to keep this team competitive for the rest of the season.

But were also optimistic he will stay, and until they talk to the agent and perry and figure out what his plan is no point to trade him. Our best option is keep him and im sure were going to do what we can to do so, but if all those doors close ya trade him, pref to east conferfence

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
If buffalos in a playoffs spot I'd offer Stafford+Brennan+2nd+conditional 1st(re-signs)
too much. Not giving up 2 high picks. Not giving up a 2013 first round pick.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Nikko*

Yeah but he and his agent are being so hush about everything that it doesn't seem to be a priority for him to stay IMO.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
Yeah but he and his agent are being so hush about everything that it doesn't seem to be a priority for him to stay IMO.
Last i heard they were going to talk to management in the near future. I still consider it the near future and expect the talks to happen within the next 2 weeks. Its a big decision... he prob has to talk to a lot of people and figure out what he truly wants.

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:47 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
If the Ducks are in playoffs race come the trade deadline, I can't see them trading Perry. Why trade him to a contender if he's already in one?

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Nikko*

Personally if he isn't likely to sign I'd rather them trade him even if they make the playoffs.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Dick Whitman

I'm guessing that if Ottawa is doing well that they'd considering making a move for Perry. They've got the assets to do it and Alfie will be retiring after this season or at the very latest after next. Ottawa could use another elite winger and has the cap space to pay him.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote