HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 8: Coyotes @ Stars | Why bother to put an effort into this? Edition

Old
02-02-2013, 05:26 AM
slv

vCash: 500
Mike Smith GAA is pretty terrible

slv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Gwyddbwyll

It wasnt OEL's best game. Some bad plays, some laziness. I didnt like how he stayed out for almost an entire powerplay. Yes he was trying to get things going but we have Yandle waiting to come on. Still an amazing player for a 21yo.

Korpikoski was good, he always looked dangerous. He and Moss are two guys who do all the little things that dont show up in the stats.

Starting to get fed up conceding goals to rookies.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:39 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I thought David Schlemko was the best player on the ice.

Yandle was our weakest D, again. <-- ROR is starting to get more and more appealing.

Nick Johnson is awesome. So is Chipchura. Bolduc and Bissonnette should be sent down to the AHL when Sullivan and Torres return.

Mike Smith's glove looks like it was thirty eight pounds. I could score on his glove, right now. That's more than rust. That's like he forgot to even put on any pads or stop any pucks at all during the lock out. Lehtonen was also bad. All six goals were pretty ugly tonight. The play between the goals was actually enjoyable.

David Schlemko is so good. So is Derek Morris. OEL is a God. Z is getting back into form. Great blocks and break ups last night. Stone is for real, too. When Klesla returns, we will have a problem. A good one.

02-02-2013, 09:57 AM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

Yandle was our weakest D, again. <-- ROR is starting to get more and more appealing.

Nick Johnson is awesome. So is Chipchura. Bolduc and Bissonnette should be sent down to the AHL when Sullivan and Torres return.

Mike Smith's glove looks like it was thirty eight pounds. I could score on his glove, right now. That's more than rust. That's like he forgot to even put on any pads or stop any pucks at all during the lock out. Lehtonen was also bad. All six goals were pretty ugly tonight. The play between the goals was actually enjoyable.

David Schlemko is so good. So is Derek Morris. OEL is a God. Z is getting back into form. Great blocks and break ups last night. Stone is for real, too. When Klesla returns, we will have a problem. A good one.
I agree, Schlemko is playing well so is DMO. When Klesla is back, Stone will sit. Amazing what a little competition will do. Yandle is so talented but yet makes the worst turnovers. OEL was off tonight also, maybe trying to do too much. The bottom line to all of this is, Smith has to be better. He didn't make any spectacular saves and let 3 in he could have stopped. He needs a shutout or one goal game tonight to get on track as he is the key.

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:59 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
I think he realized the only thing separating him from Yandle (and that level of compensation) is confidence and courage. It helps that you have an amazing coaching staff. The same one that turned Lepisto into a pretty good #6.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Jakey53

Quote:

100% agree.I thought Moss had a good game also. It sounds like you are starting to sour on Yandle a bit?

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:17 AM
zz

Yeah, I liked Schlemko a lot. He now seems to just know what to do, not much hesitation in his game. He works hard along the boards, too, and has a bit of a physical edge. This season he's looking like he belongs in the NHL.

The whole team looks to me like the most skilled one we've ever iced. Passes are sharp, tape-to-tape. We've got speed, our offense looks fast and clicking, and our deep D plays a smart game.

It's so great having Hanzal back.

Doan has slowed down, but his energy level is still up. He might not be the best player on the ice, but he's far from useless.

I agree that OEL didn't have his best game.

The only thing we've got against us right now are injuries and sub-par goaltending. With a bit of luck those will get ironed out quickly.

Last edited by zz: 02-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.
zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I think he realized the only thing separating him from Yandle (and that level of compensation) is confidence and courage. It helps that you have an amazing coaching staff. The same one that turned Lepisto into a pretty good #6.
I don't understand why Schlemko doesn't get more love on these boards. He has been playing very good for the last two years. To me, he is the most under rated player on this team. All I hear is trade Schlemko, Schlemko is the odd man out etc.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:50 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
I don't understand why Schlemko doesn't get more love on these boards. He has been playing very good for the last two years. To me, he is the most under rated player on this team. All I hear is trade Schlemko, Schlemko is the odd man out etc.
He just isn't as flashy as the other players. But he is always willing to put his body between the puck and the net, so I approve.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:55 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
He just isn't as flashy as the other players. But he is always willing to put his body between the puck and the net, so I approve.
He does stupid **** with alarming frequency at times, and is easily muscled off the puck. Other than that, he is a great bottom pairing guy. If he was 3 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier, he'd be a franchise style guy.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
He does stupid **** with alarming frequency at times, and is easily muscled off the puck. Other than that, he is a great bottom pairing guy. If he was 3 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier, he'd be a franchise style guy.
The term "franchise" I think is a lot misleading above. Schlemko with or without 30lbs and 3 inches is not a franchise Dman. Schlemko has skill, but not near the skill of Yandle, OEL or any of the top Dmen.

If Schlemko had 3 inches and 30lbs, he could be a nice tweener #2/#3, but a franchise #1 Dman he is not.

Last edited by Sindiggy: 02-02-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:17 AM
tuxonpups

Schlemko was the best D last night. A couple times we were about to turn it over during a low cycle and there was Schlemko picking it up below the goal line and I was like "Where the F did he come from and who's covering the point?" He never got caught, team seems very aware of the high man covering when Yandle, OEL, or Schlemko rotate down low.
Ray Whitney is out tonight with some lingering issue, he did seem pretty weak in that shoot-out.

tuxonpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:26 AM
drgregg

One thing I'll say about Schlemko is that I notice him every game. A defenceman will make a savvy play to keep the play alive and I'll think that was great who was it? When I see the number its often Schlemko.
In the same game I'll see a gaffe and think whoops, who was that? Schlemko again.
Right now I feel that his positives are way outweighing his miscues; great player to have rounding out the d corps.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:34 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post

If Schlemko had 3 inches and 30lbs, he could put a nice tweener #2/#3, but a franchise #1 Dman he is not.
I am overrating him, for sure, but you underrate the difference that additional size would make. Klesla wouldn't be half as valuable if he was the size of Enstrom, for instance. You build a skillset with what you have. I posit that if Schlemko had great size, he'd be a very valuable D.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
I am overrating him, for sure, but you underrate the difference that additional size would make. Klesla wouldn't be half as valuable if he was the size of Enstrom, for instance. You build a skillset with what you have. I posit that if Schlemko had great size, he'd be a very valuable D.
Valuable absolutely, a franchise dman - no chance. Don't get me wrong, I like Schlemko and hope to keep him for quite some time, he has 'great' value for his paycheck, and you always need those guys to compensate for paying OEL and Yandle large sums of money.

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:05 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Valuable absolutely, a franchise dman - no chance. Don't get me wrong, I like Schlemko and hope to keep him for quite some time, he has 'great' value for his paycheck, and you always need those guys to compensate for paying OEL and Yandle large sums of money.
OEL and Yandle also provide much more to the team. Schlemko won't put up the numbers they put up. But I love his D. Yes, he makes mistakes and lapses in effort, but everyone does unfortunately. He is still a very valuable piece to this D core IMO.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:17 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
OEL and Yandle also provide much more to the team. Schlemko won't put up the numbers they put up. But I love his D. Yes, he makes mistakes and lapses in effort, but everyone does unfortunately. He is still a very valuable piece to this D core IMO.
Once Klesla is back, the top 6 D are set and Schlemko is in it. Stone and Runblad are out, IMHO.

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Sounds like Yandle

Old
02-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
I think he is proving to be better than a bottom pairing guy. I would say midddle pairing would be more like it. Tipp has him out there on the PK and PP. You don't see many bottom pairing guys doing that. Tipp has great confidence in Schlemko.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:04 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

One thing is for sure, Schlemko's development curve has been UNREAL. Just look at the trajectory since midget until now. Undrafted into WHL. Works his way up from rookie to top pairing champion. Signs as undrafted free agent and blows up the CHL. Gets his chance in AHL, and works his way up to nhl in a very short time. Goes from whipping boy to toup four candidate in just a couple of years. Is playing out of his mind and is only 25. How good will. be at 28?

Last edited by rt: 02-03-2013 at 11:22 AM.
rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:24 PM
tuxonpups

We manufacture starting goalies out of cast-offs and top 4 D out of undrafted and 4th round prospects. It would be nice if Johnson had a break-out year and we could add him to the only offensive hidden gem we've turned up Vrbata.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:29 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxonpups View Post
It would be nice if Johnson had a break-out year and we could add him to the only offensive hidden gem we've turned up Vrbata.
Don't forget Korpikoski or the resurrection of Ray Whitney. Hell, Eric Belanger had a career year here. Certain guys thrive in structured environments. Others find it suffocating. I think the Coyotes coaching and GM tandem, when you include Playfair and Burke, is tops in the league. It shows on the ice. This roster belongs in the lottery, not the playoffs. It has been that way for awhile.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
tuxonpups

Is there another team that accepts returns as often as us? I hope the Michalek return works out more like the Vrbata and Morris ones and less like the Lombardi and Langkow ones.