HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 08:29 PM
  #651
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,432
vCash: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Are you basing the 'no' on his physical development, sidedness or the team's track record of signing an aging vet for #6 duties instead?
Or he would benefit from a year as the go-to-guy in Chicago with call-up spot duty. No reason to have a waiver exempt player filling out your D unless they show they're NHL ready. Better to keep them in a call-up role to increase your depth.

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:32 PM
  #652
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 22,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
If it was up to me, the Canucks wouldn't even draft goalies.
Agreed completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
The downside of 3 year ELC's is you usually won't sign a guy like Honzik even though a one year contract would probably be good for both parties.
Yup.

It just isn't worth the risk for these fringy type late rounders. You've got to be really sure, and if you're not ... the contract is an anchor preventing you from signing better prospects.

The amount of waste contracts we've signed in the last 5 years is not good.

And yeah, it really is stupid that the same contract framework holds for a #1 overall pick as well as an undrafted overage player.

MS is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:35 PM
  #653
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Agreed completely.



Yup.

It just isn't worth the risk for these fringy type late rounders. You've got to be really sure, and if you're not ... the contract is an anchor preventing you from signing better prospects.

The amount of waste contracts we've signed in the last 5 years is not good.

And yeah, it really is stupid that the same contract framework holds for a #1 overall pick as well as an undrafted overage player.

Yeah, I'm really hating this pick if this is his career choice. The reason why I was ok with him being an overager was that he was going to be in the NCAA for 4 years so that we could properly evaluate him. Now an ELC is a complete liability to Tockin us.

timw33 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:36 PM
  #654
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Are you basing the 'no' on his physical development, sidedness or the team's track record of signing an aging vet for #6 duties instead?
He's just not quite ready. I disagree with MS on his progress or his role at the AHL level, but he's right in that he needs development time. I also don't think he's a long-shot, from what I've seen he's a good bet to be a bottom pairing guy at least.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:37 PM
  #655
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,088
vCash: 500
ECHL Update

Mallet has 2 assists

Grenier 1G 2A

Sauve 1G

Good to see those guys produce. Grenier especially.

timw33 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
  #656
StIllmatic
Registered User
 
StIllmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
ECHL Update

Mallet has 2 assists

Grenier 1G 2A

Sauve 1G

Good to see those guys produce. Grenier especially.
I would be much more happy to see Mallet exceed. Allthough all three is always nice

StIllmatic is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:51 PM
  #657
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Easy sign for me. Goalies are unpredictable and he has the tools.
I agree. He has battled back from an early injury and has been alot better than anyone thinks he has. Guys a workhorse on a team that has 1 win in their last 14 and has a record of 10-32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Meh ... I hate signing mid-round goalie picks who had average junior careers. Never seem to work out. He's having a nice little blip in front of a shooting gallery right now, but is still a guy who hasn't cleared an .890 save % in three years in the Q.

There are several young goalies putting up great years in the SEL and I'd much rather we stocked our system on that front with surer bets who have already shown an ability to compete against men at a near-AHL level.
He was a 3rd rounder, so it is still relatively early.

Again his team has been downright brutal, 1 win in 14 and a record of 10-32-8.

To put things into perspective, the Screaming Eagles had back to back games yesterday and today against PEI. They are middle of the pack in the Q.

The other goalie Bureau, let in 8 Goals on 51 Shots. 8-0 Loss.

Honzik played todays game and made 44 Saves in a 2-1 Loss.

That alone should tell the story, and to put things into perspective Zach Fucale is on the top team in the entire CHL, he is 32-5, and his SV% is .903 and he only as 1 Shutout.

Then you see Honzik who plays on the 2nd worst team in the Q, a team that is 10-32. And he has a .887 Sv% and like Fucale also has 1 shutout.

He is much better than most think, he has alot of tools, he will be signed if our organization has any sense which they probably do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Are you basing the 'no' on his physical development, sidedness or the team's track record of signing an aging vet for #6 duties instead?
He just isn't developed enough yet.

He will make a pretty solid transition once he is ready though as his game is pretty solid and steady, I like the upside we have there.

Sergei Shirokov is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:55 PM
  #658
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
ECHL Update

Mallet has 2 assists

Grenier 1G 2A

Sauve 1G

Good to see those guys produce. Grenier especially.
Nice to see Grenier doing well. Aswell as Mallet of course but he has been doing well in the ECHL for awhile, I just wish he would get an extended look at a top 9 role with Wolves now that the lockout is over.

Oh well he will probably be an important part of their team next year, so hopefully he can continue to play well in the East Coast league.

Sergei Shirokov is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:01 PM
  #659
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 22,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He's just not quite ready. I disagree with MS on his progress or his role at the AHL level, but he's right in that he needs development time. I also don't think he's a long-shot, from what I've seen he's a good bet to be a bottom pairing guy at least.
He's more than 'not quite ready'.

He's spent the majority of this year as a #6-7 defender in Chicago and was a fairly regular healthy scratch although he did well in sheltered minutes when in the lineup (I'd say he's probably playing about 15 minutes average in the games I've seen).

He's moved up to 5-6 minutes since the end of the lockout and is having a good run of games right now, but let's not get carried away.

Guys who can step up to the NHL are *top* AHL defenders, and Andersson is nowhere near that yet.

If he can come back next year as a lynchpin down there and play 20+ minutes/game and score 25-30 points, then we can start talking about him as a potential Canuck.

And yeah, I do still think that outcome is a bit of a longshot. Guys who are bottom-pairing AHL defenders at age 22 rarely take the next (large) steps needed. Hopefully he can.

MS is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:12 PM
  #660
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
I will respond to Cocoa's question once I get home. But some things you've said MS in your last post are factually incorrect. Andersson has never been a healthy scratch. He was injured blocking a shot. He is currently playing top 4 minutes with his PK time as well.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:26 PM
  #661
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 22,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I will respond to Cocoa's question once I get home. But some things you've said MS in your last post are factually incorrect. Andersson has never been a healthy scratch. He was injured blocking a shot. He is currently playing top 4 minutes with his PK time as well.
He missed 9 games with that injury between Nov 16 and Dec 13 but has missed another 7 games spotted through the year as well. I assumed these were healthy scratches (and I'm sure I've seen him listed as a healthy scratch in at least one of those games that I watched) but if not I apologize.

He hasn't been anywhere near top-4 minutes in any of the 7-8 games I've seen. Was usually the #6 when dressed behind Tanev/Matheson/Connauton/Joslin/Hunt.

MS is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:43 PM
  #662
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
He missed 9 games with that injury between Nov 16 and Dec 13 but has missed another 7 games spotted through the year as well. I assumed these were healthy scratches (and I'm sure I've seen him listed as a healthy scratch in at least one of those games that I watched) but if not I apologize.

He hasn't been anywhere near top-4 minutes in any of the 7-8 games I've seen. Was usually the #6 when dressed behind Tanev/Matheson/Connauton/Joslin/Hunt.
Slight correction, he has not been a healthy scratch since he secured his spot in the lineup in early November. Since that time the only time he has not been in the lineup has been due to that injury and the training camp call up.

Perhaps you have not caught any recent games. I said he is currently playing top 4 minutes. He worked his way there, from the bottom pairing early in the season but he is securely in the top 4 right now.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:54 PM
  #663
Oilers Chick
Registered User
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,976
vCash: 500
In case you all missed it...

Wesley Myron has left Boston University, according to the Boston Hockey Blog, which is the blog of the BU student paper, the Daily Free Press.

You can go HERE and check out the sidebar (Twitter posts) to read more about it.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
  #664
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,528
vCash: 50
Awards:
LaBate with an assist in a 1-1 tie for U of Wisconsin.

Price with an assist in a 4-4 tie for Colgate.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 12:39 AM
  #665
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Feebster or Orcatown: If we're really tight against the cap next year, is there any chance Andersson could step in as a #6 lining up alongside Tanev?
In your scenario of a tight cap, if Andersson continues to progress and play at the level he is right now, I believe he could step in there in a pinch because he has such a smart defensive game that he and Tanev could probably handle easy easy minutes.

However, it's not ideal. I'd like to see him start in Chicago and then be the first callup. Hes really close, it's just a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Does he play the safe type of game that could make the transition to the NHL relatively painless?
Yes, definitely. That is Anderssons game; one of making smart, quick decisions with the puck to get it out of danger, good first pass, good along the boards and good defending against the transition. He excels in his own zone so I think/hope AV will take a liking to him. He can play a safe game, but I think he still has untapped offensive potential which is just emerging in the AHL right now. For this reason, I think some more development time would be beneficial.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 12:52 AM
  #666
ZenMaster*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
ECHL Update

Mallet has 2 assists

Grenier 1G 2A

Sauve 1G

Good to see those guys produce. Grenier especially.
Great news for Grenier, looks like he will be making the jump to the AHL next season. I'm really rooting for him a 6'5 forward with good hands and skating is rare. 10 points in 10 games and a plus 10!

ZenMaster* is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 02:09 AM
  #667
Iceberg Slim
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Denmark
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
On Wesley Myron, I've been hearing (no sources, just chatter from some people I talk to regularly) that the "professional hockey opportunity" will come in the form of an SPC with the K-Wings (the Canucks' ECHL affiliate).

This would keep Myron inside Vancouver's extended system without taking up one of the club's 50 (max) contracts (and avoid seeing the Canucks waste another ELC on a player who clearly isn't deserving of one at this point--not gonna name names here ). Of course, the Canucks will be losing Myron's NHL rights much sooner now (2 years earlier?) but the club will still be able to keep a close eye on his progress in Kalamazoo and have the inside track on signing any future NHL contract, should it become warranted in a few years.

Again, no substance to this (beyond some chit-chat tonight) but the Canucks have taken similar approaches with players in the past (ie: letting their affiliates sign contracts with prospects and thereby keeping lower level prospects in the system while maintaining space on the 50-contract limit).

At present, I believe the Canucks are right up against the 50 but have 4 contracts that should slide (so there's still space to add players).

Hopefully, Myron contacted the Canucks before he made his decision and the player and the club have agreed on some sort of plan for how Wesley is going to pursue his "opportunities in professional hockey." IF Myron went rogue on this and his actions are reflective of a player who thinks more of himself than he should, then Wesley will be in for a rude awakening and, possibly, a lifetime of regret (if pro doesn't pan out after blowing his college ride).

Hopefully, Gillis and the Canucks are on board with Myron's decision and they feel that he'll develop better in a situation where he'll see more playing time and a greater role (compared to the meager opportunities freshmen players often see in college hockey--where the juniors and seniors tend to get all the ice and freshmen spend most of their time on the bench, if they even dress for games).

EDIT: So it looks like Myron's main reason to want out was the lack of icetime (at least from what his coaches and BU's official response has been). Not surprising, given how little ice freshman players get. However, it is surprising that he wasn't prepared for this aspect of college hockey, given that nearly every program, BU included, tends to expect their players to start at the very bottom as freshmen and earn their ice. No one, other that the complete bluechippers, gets much of a role until their final two years in their program. Myron must have known this going in, so it's surprising he wasn't ready to just wait his turn and work hard on improving in the meantime.

That said, he's also had a bit of a late start and was something like a 20-year-old freshman, IIRC, so maybe he's feeling the clock ticking and wanted to try to speed things up. Just because he was mostly a 4th-liner and in-and-out of the lineup as a freshman at BU doesn't mean that was the limit of his ability. He may very well be capable of a much greater role and could really get a better chance playing in the ECHL. It's gonna be interesting to see how things develop and where this player lands.

Also, I found a few additional mentions of Myron going to the K-Wings as expected so that looks to be the best bet right now. He'll have a season or two to impress the Canucks before his rights officially expire


Last edited by Iceberg Slim: 02-04-2013 at 03:33 AM. Reason: added
Iceberg Slim is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 02:49 AM
  #668
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,610
vCash: 500
Andersson is turning into the kind prospect Tanev was a couple of years ago. He has got the wheels, the smarts and passing. Certainly not overly physical but clears his net area well and can separate people from the puck. Also he has the kind of lanky frame that should add muscle.

He very conscious defensively and errors on that side rather than pushing the offense. He gets the puck moves the puck. Only skates with it when he needs to improve his passing angle but when he does, gets quick separation from his check.

You like to see more offense but there is a ton to like here. In the games I'm watching he is consistently the best defenseman. That is not because he is overwhelming the opponent but because he keeps turning the play back in your direction. Might not notice him too much because he does everything quickly and efficiently. Like Tanev he doesn't play with a big ego but simply looks to do his job.

It would be enticing to have look at Andersson on the Canucks but I'm for taking the Detroit approach. Let's make sure he is overly ripe. And let's hope he gets more offensive presence. It think you are looking at 2014 - 2015 for Andersson. However, the development he has made this year gives pause for consideration that it may be sooner.

Andersson is the mold of a number of Swedish defensemen such as Tallinder. Never going to be super stars but very dependable players who can play a shut down role.

orcatown is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 05:03 AM
  #669
CanadianPirate
Registered User
 
CanadianPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Andersson is turning into the kind prospect Tanev was a couple of years ago. He has got the wheels, the smarts and passing. Certainly not overly physical but clears his net area well and can separate people from the puck. Also he has the kind of lanky frame that should add muscle.

He very conscious defensively and errors on that side rather than pushing the offense. He gets the puck moves the puck. Only skates with it when he needs to improve his passing angle but when he does, gets quick separation from his check.

You like to see more offense but there is a ton to like here. In the games I'm watching he is consistently the best defenseman. That is not because he is overwhelming the opponent but because he keeps turning the play back in your direction. Might not notice him too much because he does everything quickly and efficiently. Like Tanev he doesn't play with a big ego but simply looks to do his job.

It would be enticing to have look at Andersson on the Canucks but I'm for taking the Detroit approach. Let's make sure he is overly ripe. And let's hope he gets more offensive presence. It think you are looking at 2014 - 2015 for Andersson. However, the development he has made this year gives pause for consideration that it may be sooner.

Andersson is the mold of a number of Swedish defensemen such as Tallinder. Never going to be super stars but very dependable players who can play a shut down role.
It seems like the canucks are in a bit of a transition period defensively with next year being the gap year. Either Andersson or Corrado will probably be ready to play bottom pairing minutes in the nhl in 2014-2015 but unlikely any young talent is ready next year. It might be in the canucks best interest to keep Ballard around for another year at least. I know clearing the space will be difficult. With the young forward talent seeming to be closer to making the nhl than the young defense I wonder if Booth could be the cap casualty this summer.

CanadianPirate is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 05:30 AM
  #670
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,714
vCash: 500
I really like Andersson aswell, from what I have seen he has really stood out.

I think he could be a good player for us down the road. I would give him a look next year if a spot comes available but I also think we should take a patient approach if he doesn't come out and completely grab the spot.

Either way nice to see we have some late round picks coming though.

Sergei Shirokov is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 06:02 AM
  #671
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The K-Wings seem to have a bit of trouble scoring lately, but Mallet has started to shoot more which is a positive since the goals should start coming soon as a result. Had 5 shots in the game last night and also a quick fight:
Since we have pretty much no video or reports on Mallet's play, I've figured that shots can be used as a sort of proxy for how much impact he's having on a game, or how well he's doing.

The idea being that if you put a skilled playmaker at a lower level of competition, he's still going to rack up the shots simply because he can dominate - even though he may be known to pass first at a higher level.

Which is why I got excited when he started putting up 4-shot games a little while back though he hasn't really been to keep that up, though hopefully it'll pick up again. At some point you have to think that production will simply come down to the percentages if he keeps putting it on net. He certainly has the shot to do so too.

vanuck is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 09:26 AM
  #672
IComeInPeace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/02...RmO/story.html
I presume this refers to the scandal that McNally was a part of...
So I wonder if this forces his hand in terms of turning pro?

Who is our resident Harvard expert again? Love to hear what you've heard?

IComeInPeace is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:21 AM
  #673
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
Wow... start the speculation regarding his character, as its sounding a bit familiar.

Quote:
Just hours before visiting University of Massachusetts — a game the Terriers went on to lose, 5-1, with a very poor showing — the team announced freshman forward Wes Myron decided to leave the team to “attempt to begin a professional career in hockey.”

Myron has yet to reply to an email seeking comment, but BU coach Jack Parker said after Friday’s game Myron left because he was unhappy overall, particularly with his ice time and spot in the lineup.

“He was very unhappy all year,” Parker said. “He thought he should have been on the first line. He thought he wasn’t getting what he wanted out of this and he played that way.”
....

Parker cited similar reasons as to why the two left — unhappiness with ice time and expectations to play on the top lines — but only spoke in generalities when it came to why certain players feel entitled to more playing time without previous production.

“Most kids work for their ice time and if they don’t like their role they try to make it a different role,” Parker said. “Some kids can’t face that adversity. I don’t know if it was exactly the same with these two kids [Myron and Cissť] or not, but it is what it is.”

What’s Myron will do next is unclear. He was a sixth-round draft pick by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2012 NHL Draft, and, according to Parker, he will likely try to sign an East Coast Hockey League contract.
http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2...-due.html#more

Thoughts?

thefeebster is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:26 AM
  #674
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,095
vCash: 500
I'm going to wait and see how this situation evolves. Not going to read into comments by a coach who seems pretty bitter at this point. That said, if it were up to me he would be in college, working hard to get his opportunity in the Top 6 next year. But I might not know all the details so I'll just wait and see.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:35 AM
  #675
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,059
vCash: 500
Jensen sat out for AIK again tonight. But I haven't heard anything about him not being able to play in the Olympic qualifying games for Denmark next week. So I would expect this to be just a minor injury. The article on the AIK site today also mentioned that he wasn't playing because he was resting, and not like prior because of his shoulder. So it could look like AIK are being cautious with him.

Jevo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.