02-02-2013, 08:29 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
He didn't.

Ruff was being an jerk.

If you consider the numbers, Julien had just played his top 2 lines plus the additional forward hard to try to score a goal with the goalie pulled.

When the ENG was scored he sent the freshest forwards he had. McDermid no way, no how was going to be on the ice with the goalie pulled, but he wasn't going to do any damage in 13 seconds either (damage to the B's that is).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
You're too logical.

Exactly right. As SPV said, that is not and has not ever been Julien's M.O. Ruff knows that - he can't be that stupid - so you're right, he was just being a richard. No surprise.
Ruff was taking no chances. Julien would have done the same thing. Teams do it every night.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:34 AM
TCL40

Quote:
I just wonder who will step up when we need a spark or who puts somebody back into place on the opposition when needed
McDermid and to some degree Soupy is my guess (as far as the "to get things going" fights).

In general, if somebody needs taking down a peg almost any Bruin is willing to step in for his teammate, so I am actually not too worried about that kind of thing.

I do actually worry more about teams taking a run at our concussion prone-Bergeron, Krejci, Horton. All three have had concussions-and Bergeron's and Horton's were bad.

I worry more about the cheap elbow or similar. Refs seem to be missing this stuff a lot, and I sometimes think the refs go overboard to contain the Bruins and then our guys get injured.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:36 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

"Targeted nightly" seems like a strong overreaction, IMO.

There are teams that can throw out a purely physical player and still ice a deep team - the Rangers come to mind first & foremost - but if Montreal and Toronto (the two teams specified by OP) are going to try & be more physical AND more talented than the Bruins, I think it plays right into Boston's hands. Neither of those teams, even with their new & improved physicality, scare me (as a fan) that much, with our without Thornton.

I wouldn't be averse to adding someone to the roster, but that's more because I don't see Thornton fighting that much in the near-to-intermediate future rather than any huge fear of being "targeted nightly".

Plus, there are plenty of guys that drop the gloves for the "spark" - Ference, McQuaid, Campbell. Those aren't the guys that are going to be fighting the 'heavyweights' but perhaps it'd be best if the Bruins didn't necessarily worry about the Orr, Scott, etc. types for the time being.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
A few impressions from the responses. One- I think people greatly underestimate Shawns role and what he brings to the team. Two- is lane macdermid ready for this because he will be the guy that is "targeted". Three- reminds me of the "we will be be fine while Horton is out" from last year. Some very smug responses.
I'm sorry, I've been following hockey and the Bruins for more than 40 years and I simply cannot take seriously anyone who tells me this team is "very vulnerable." It's an absurd overreaction.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:44 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'm sorry, I've been following hockey and the Bruins for more than 40 years and I simply cannot take seriously anyone who tells me this team is "very vulnerable." It's an absurd overreaction.
Poor choice of words agreed.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:53 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Plus, there are plenty of guys that drop the gloves for the "spark" - Ference, McQuaid, Campbell. Those aren't the guys that are going to be fighting the 'heavyweights' but perhaps it'd be best if the Bruins didn't necessarily worry about the Orr, Scott, etc. types for the time being.
Exactly.

I don't think the Bruins have to fight in a staged fight every team's heavy. Most of those guys can't play hockey anyway. If they are sent out looking for a fight, then they become a liability for the Bruins to exploit.

And Lucic doesn't need to be fighting them for the fun of it. If Lucic fights it needs to be for a reason (and I think he tends to fight better when there is a reason than when it is staged).

I do think the team will miss Thornton, but I don't think having Thornton out is nearly as difficult as when we lost Horton. Horton weakened the whole team at right wing, Thornton only weakens the 4th line.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhawg View Post
I think we are very vulnerable. Hopefully teams don't go out of their way to take anvantage of our sistuation.
45 posts... 2 threads... 2 gems... way the go champ.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Fire Julien

3 division rivals. This week. They need to send a message or the toughness and intimidation factor is GONE.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
I wonder if the many teams which we basically ran over the past few seasons are going to go out of their way to get even?

Lets face it, Buffalo was one of many teams that were out-hit, out-fought and basically bullied all over the ice over the past 3-4 seasons.

I think what happened the other night is going to have some serious payback attatched to it as well. I understand that we still have a tough team, but to expect Lucic and Chara to fight every game is nuts. Mcquaid is pretty much a middleweight and Macdermid is unproven. Montreal and Toronto, for example, have gotten tougher basically to compete with us.

I don't think we need to go out and get a 3 min per game thug. We should begin exploring a trade for a capable guy thats capable of playing a regular shift. I also think we're going to see lines 1-3 overplayed while Macdermid plays very limited minutes. I would call CBJ to see if Jared Boll is available.

Anyways, Thorns injury is going to have a major impact on how our team plays and responds. I think we are very vulnerable. Hopefully teams don't go out of their way to take anvantage of our sistuation.

just

stop

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:41 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
I wonder if the many teams which we basically ran over the past few seasons are going to go out of their way to get even?

Lets face it, Buffalo was one of many teams that were out-hit, out-fought and basically bullied all over the ice over the past 3-4 seasons.

I think what happened the other night is going to have some serious payback attatched to it as well. I understand that we still have a tough team, but to expect Lucic and Chara to fight every game is nuts. Mcquaid is pretty much a middleweight and Macdermid is unproven. Montreal and Toronto, for example, have gotten tougher basically to compete with us.

I don't think we need to go out and get a 3 min per game thug. We should begin exploring a trade for a capable guy thats capable of playing a regular shift. I also think we're going to see lines 1-3 overplayed while Macdermid plays very limited minutes. I would call CBJ to see if Jared Boll is available.

Anyways, Thorns injury is going to have a major impact on how our team plays and responds. I think we are very vulnerable. Hopefully teams don't go out of their way to take anvantage of our sistuation.
glad to see you're so passionate but honestly there is not 1% freaking NHL player intimidated over this garbage

If they aren't intimidated going hard into the boards these PAST 15 or so years, having to block shots from guys who get get it up there 100 MPH a hockey scrum isnt going to do it

come on folks the overreaction is just pathetic

if it rains hard to you start googling up Ark building

Boston has a bunch of players who can fight better than a bunch of other teams that can fight....John Scott is one big bastared and if he connects he can do some serious damage but Derek Boogard in my humble opinion was a much more skilled fighter and Thornton beat him

**** happens but if you think coaches all over the league are calling emergency meetings to proclaim the Wicked Witch is dead is a joke

these players on all teams are by and large interchangeable and actually quite friendly with each other off the ice- they compete against each other for a couple of hours, but as I have actually seen walking out of the Garden an hour or so after a game- Brad Marchand, yes Super pest walking with 5 or 6 players from the other team all laughing and clearly going out together somewhere....my daughter later explained (since she finds out way more than me) that some of the players played with him in Juniors, WJ, and grew up with him

The Bruins will lose plenty more fights- maybe even to Scott, and the Broad Street Bullies of the Philadelphia Flyers with Goon Inc lost their fair share

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
3 division rivals. This week. They need to send a message or the toughness and intimidation factor is GONE.
Caballito Negro, are you saying there a chance the Bruins could lose their identity in the next 3 games?

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:05 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Only because Chris Bourque is on the team,
I'd like to by this post a drink.

Honest to God, there should be a rule about starting new threads. One per week per poster, no starting threads till you have 200 posts and 3 months forum time.

Oh, and free sandwiches.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Whiskey Sam
Puck Monkey

Of course we're targeted nightly, we're the Big, Bad Bruins. The problem is around the league too many people seem to think that means the Bruins are at times a dirty team. How many 5 on 3s have we had to kill in just the first seven games? Between Shanahan seeming to go out of his way to find a reason to suspend B's players and the refs calling every ticky-tack penalty against us, you're seeing some of the gutless teams like the Sabres feel emboldened to see how far they can push things.

Paille got highsticked in the face right in the middle of the play, and they weren't going to call anything until he showed blood. Hamilton gets elbowed in the head, Bergeron driven into the boards, no call. It's amazing that if we fart near someone the refs are there to call the penalty, but they miss blatant calls when our guys are getting cheapshotted around the puck. And let's be honest, our power play is so colossally inept that there's no real threat to another team taking a penalty for crossing the line because we're not going to make them pay for it on the scoreboard anyway.

We got outscored 6-1 over the last 25 minutes and got pushed around doing it. Ugly game? Yeah. Uncharacteristic collapse by the defense? Yeah. But unless this happens several games in a row, it was one bad game. It happens. Get back to playing Bruins hockey, and this goes on the back burner till the next Sabres game. Then we need to pound the living **** out of those twerps.

Whiskey Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:15 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I'd like to by this post a drink.

Honest to God, there should be a rule about starting new threads. One per week per poster, no starting threads till you have 200 posts and 3 months forum time.

Oh, and free sandwiches.
Its the same thing every season with new posters coming around. And that possible rule was discussed and nixed. Sorry. Really.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:18 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
Its the same thing every season with new posters coming around. And that possible rule was discussed and nixed. Sorry. Really.
YOU NIXED FREE SANDWICHES!?!?

What the **** HF. What. The. ****.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Fat Jughead

That's the great thing about this condensed sched. We get to find out right away what goon teams think about the other night.

The B's have no business even acknowledging Colton Orr out there, but I'm sure he'll be right there opening faceoff, pissing in Looch's ear lol! I just hope we don't overreact and waste a roster spot on some nuclear warhead just to take 1 player off the ice every other game. The B's roll 4 effective and versatile lines. That's how we grind teams down and ultimately win in the 3rd. Not some silly notion of not backing down EVER. There's a time to fight, and our players know better than most when that time is. Not so much the other night.

I ain't buying that the B's are forever intimidated by goon teams. Teams who employ these guys are easy to deal with and absolutely nothing to worry about. Maybe they were in the 70's, 80's and 90's, but not now. That era died when the instigator rule came in. Unfortunately, I think some of the league (and some of our fans) are stuck in that dead era.

The guys should have some fun with this. If they want to trot goons out you, your supposed to chirp em, then score on em. Then when the media runs to our players after the games to call them chicken ****: just laugh it off, and tell em "we prefer it when teams throw their fat goons out at us. Makes playing pro hockey a lot easier"...or something to that effect. Have fun and troll the league. It's hockey.

People need to think about this: what can super plugs like John Scott and Colton Orr REALLY do to you out there? Hurt your feelings when he accosts you. Let em bray like an ass. All you have to do is give em a little whack on the back of the legs and maybe call em fat or something, and he'll take himself right out of the game after that. These meatheads are that easily provoked into putting their teams short handed. You don't even have to fight em, because they can't contribute to the successes of their respective teams in any other fashion. So target them psychologically, and exploit their very presence. Problem solved. Not a big deal.

Now PP maintenance is something to focus on. They've been better this year, but that doesn't make them good. Right from our uncoordinated entries>to our stationary set up>to our indecision with the puck>to our craptacular passing>to our shot selection. These guys are pro's ffs. How can they make something so easy, look so bloody complicated? This thing looks like an unfolded lawn chair some nights. It's like we forget how to hockey when we're up a man. That's something to be concerned about...goons lol!

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:39 AM
bostonphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins04 View Post
personally don't like Lindy leaving the skill guys on after it is over to begin with. But there are stiff sanctions for teams that engage in altercations at the end of games. nor do CJ teams have a history of that.

you can't say we want to set the tone that we're not scared anymore and then say, yea with 14 seconds left, i got scared something would happen. there is another home game in boston to be played... we'll always have last line change during that game. it really is a non-issue but i would rather the B's just deal with it on the ice. I don't buy into Ruff's explanation as much as others do, but hey... that's just me.
This is bull **** thinking.

Lane is a throw away player. We sent out him out there against pompinville to intimidate the other team. I hate how we can be as blindsided like this about our team but so critical against other teams.

For 13 seconds we could have out out any line. It's 13 seconds the game is decided who cares. Instead we take a chance to cause trouble.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:52 AM
caz16

vCash: 84
I am stunned by the overreaction to that game. Thornton is one of the best team guys so he took on a goon to get this nonsense over with. He lost - didn't really have a chance. So fans want one of our guys to take him on afterwards? Why exactly? Because Thornton lost a fight that he planned on having? This was the Sabres showing us they bulked up. Fine, whatever...

Come the playoffs this plug Scott will be an absolute waste - the Sabres are only fooling themselves and their fans. The Bruins are not going to be intimidated by this thug. We lost because of our D breaking down. Ruff was just keeping the Bruins on the ice longer to enjoy what he thinks is his revenge for last season.

caz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:56 AM
SPLBRUIN

This whole thread is just plain silly, Thornton for all of his fighting skills dosen't scare or hurt people, that's what Chara and Lucic do. We probably have more guys then any team in the league willing to drop the gloves even without Thornton.We will be fine, everyone loses a fight now and then, Thornton lost to a gigantic goon, that's all it is, in the rematch expect to see Chara tangle with Scott and Chara will take care of business.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:59 AM
BergyWho37

Quote:
We lose 1 fight and now were soft ?? We have 2 of toughest players in the league they just play the game too..

I know I'd love to get my face wrecked from Loooch or Chara

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:11 PM
doubleculprit

Really can't underestimate the loss of Thornton. He is one third of the best fourth line in hockey. His line always plays in the other teams end and rarely makes mistakes defensively. Orr, and Brown will both be looking for partners tonight. I don't want to see looch anywhere near Orr. Brown maybe. This game has all the makings to be the best one of the year. I can't wait!

doubleculprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:21 PM
caz16

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleculprit View Post
Really can't underestimate the loss of Thornton. He is one third of the best fourth line in hockey. His line always plays in the other teams end and rarely makes mistakes defensively. Orr, and Brown will both be looking for partners tonight. I don't want to see looch anywhere near Orr. Brown maybe. This game has all the makings to be the best one of the year. I can't wait!
Brown is injured and won't be playing.

caz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:23 PM
rfournier103

The Thornton loss (losing him for 7-10 games; not the loss of the fight) is big. He had the guts to go with a far bigger guy, and lost. Plain and simple. You can't win 'em all.

I would like to see some of the other Bruins do some of the 'dirty work' (although Campbell puts in his fair share). Lucic could step up and drop the mits a little more often, I think.

If I had my way; Campbell, Thornton, and Lucic will handle the 'tough guys', and maybe some of the other guys (McQuaid, or even Boychuk) could drop 'em once in a while just to send a message.

I really think the Bruins could gain more of an advantage if they flexed their muscles a little more.

rfournier103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:28 PM
rfournier103

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz16 View Post
Brown is injured and won't be playing.
That's good news! No Lupul will also be helpful to the Bruins.

rfournier103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:29 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

Quote:
Got that right. Man what a game that was thursday, eh boys?

GodHatesBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote