HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 11:33 AM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I think we would have to sign him to a contract after next year if we want to keep his rights. I'm sure they'll probably evaluate his status after this season. I think he spends this next year and the year after that as an over-ager in London. Which is fine by me the Hunter have a great track record of developing players and i think i read their goalie coach is one the best in juniors.
Yes. They do. As far as him going back as an over-ager, let's see how he does next year.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:51 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Yes. They do. As far as him going back as an over-ager, let's see how he does next year.
Would he be Phantom eligable next year?

Old
02-02-2013, 11:56 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Would he be Phantom eligable next year?
He's eligible now. He was drafted out of the NAHL. They do not have a transfer agreement with the NHL like the CHL has.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:31 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Could it be? Do you alas have a legit goalie prospect? Stolarz has all the tools to be a great goaltender. He has size, speed, agility and his fundamentals are sound. He seems like a hard working kid who genuinely wants to get better at his position.

I'm really excited to see what the future holds for this kid.

What are the chances that he plays in the WJC next year?

Old
02-02-2013, 12:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Could it be? Do you alas have a legit goalie prospect? Stolarz has all the tools to be a great goaltender. He has size, speed, agility and his fundamentals are sound. He seems like a hard working kid who genuinely wants to get better at his position.

I'm really excited to see what the future holds for this kid.

What are the chances that he plays in the WJC next year?
I think Jon Gillies (Calgary prospect) has the inside track right now for the starter position being a returnee from last years team. The backup role is up for grabs though. Stolarz made the final 4 last year but Gillies and Garrett Sparks (Toronto prospect) both made the cut over him for the backup and 3rd goalie spots.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:47 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I think Jon Gillies (Calgary prospect) has the inside track right now for the starter position being a returnee from last years team. The backup role is up for grabs though. Stolarz made the final 4 last year but Gillies made the cut over him for the 3rd goalie spot.
If he keeps playing like this and progresses by next year all bets are off I'd assume. I think he at least has a great shot at the backup role

Old
02-02-2013, 01:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
If he keeps playing like this and progresses by next year all bets are off I'd assume. I think he at least has a great shot at the backup role
Yeah but Gillies is having a monster year as freshmen for Providence. I'm pretty sure his team isn't the most talented either (not 100% sure on that though). But anything can happen Stolarz could catch on fire and Gillies could regress next year. You never know.

This should be the 1st year in a while for the US that there's no clear cut starter.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:16 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

The way Stolarz plays reminds me a lot of Ryan Miller. Hopefully he turns out the same way, minus the douchiness.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
The way Stolarz plays reminds me a lot of Ryan Miller. Hopefully he turns out the same way, minus the douchiness.
Yeah if they do go with a tandem of Stolarz and Gillies no doubt it will be the biggest (height wise) tandem of goalies in the tournament. Gillies is 6'5 and Stolarz is 6'6.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Cousins picked up 2 more assists tonight.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Cousins picked up 2 more assists tonight.
Sadly Stolarz didn't play, but another shutout for London.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Stolarz is legit. I had a chance to talk with the Knights goaltending coach (Bill Dark) and Dark says that Stolarz is the most athletically gifted goaltender he's ever worked with. On top of it, Stolarz is a true student of the game and he is always the first to arrive at practice and last to leave. As well, he's extremely coachable and is always asking on how he can improve his game. The other thing about Stolarz is that he's always talking with his defensemen and he never rips on his defense if they give up a bad play that leads to a goal. Stolarz views himself as the last line of defense and as such, there are times when you have to bail out your teammates.

Maybe it's just me, but for the first time in a long time, I'm confident that the Flyers have found their future goaltender. He seems to have the right attitude, is willing to do whatever it takes to make it to the NHL, and never rests on his laurels. I think Stolarz could possibly be a blue chipper in terms of goaltending prospects. Very happy with the decision to go to the OHL and get some much needed playing time. I don't know if he would have ever received as much playing time in Nebraska-Omaha if he stayed......
This is great to hear. With him, and guys like Ghost, McGinn coming up and doing so well, it speaks well of our scouting staff. They are looking for diamonds in the rough and hopefully finding some too.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The only problem with Stolarz is that even though he may be this good right now, it may be a problem for his age with Bryz and his lengthy contract... unless we just do what Rask is doing to Thomas?

Old
02-02-2013, 10:36 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The only problem with Stolarz is that even though he may be this good right now, it may be a problem for his age with Bryz and his lengthy contract... unless we just do what Rask is doing to Thomas?
Shouldn't be a problem with Stolarz. You have him play another two seasons in the OHL, two in the AHL and then you bring him in as the back up to Bryzgalov for a couple of years and eventually, Bryz moves to the back up roll when Stolarz is ready to be the full time starter. So, that's a minimum of 4 years between the OHL and AHL and then you'll probably have Stolarz for a year before giving Stolarz the opportunity to start. There's no pressure on the team to rush Stolarz into becoming the starter and by the time he's 25, he's ready to take over for a 38 year old Bryzgalov and while Bryzgalov's cap hit is high, his yearly salary is low by this time. No worries about Stolarz and his development at all.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
They could bring him along slowly like Vancouver did with Schneider.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Stolarz is legit. I had a chance to talk with the Knights goaltending coach (Bill Dark) and Dark says that Stolarz is the most athletically gifted goaltender he's ever worked with. On top of it, Stolarz is a true student of the game and he is always the first to arrive at practice and last to leave. As well, he's extremely coachable and is always asking on how he can improve his game. The other thing about Stolarz is that he's always talking with his defensemen and he never rips on his defense if they give up a bad play that leads to a goal. Stolarz views himself as the last line of defense and as such, there are times when you have to bail out your teammates.

Maybe it's just me, but for the first time in a long time, I'm confident that the Flyers have found their future goaltender. He seems to have the right attitude, is willing to do whatever it takes to make it to the NHL, and never rests on his laurels. I think Stolarz could possibly be a blue chipper in terms of goaltending prospects. Very happy with the decision to go to the OHL and get some much needed playing time. I don't know if he would have ever received as much playing time in Nebraska-Omaha if he stayed......
Great to hear BCF16.

I always enjoy your insight and sources of news on players.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I think it's funny how when he was drafted people thought he would be a 4 year guy at college followed by a year or 2 in the AHL. To now possibly playing in the AHL in 2 or 3 years. Kid's progressing nicely.

I think this just proves how much of a wildcard goalies can really be when you draft them. I'm really hoping London makes it to the Memorial Cup so i can watch this kid play.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:47 AM
FlyersFan61290

Cousins is leading the OHL right now in scoring with 80pts (19g and 61a) in 51 games played. that's 3 more pts then the second leading scorer in the league. he's also producing at a rate of ~1.57 pts/g which is an increase over last years pts/g rate of ~1.36

Laughton is now slightly above a ppg with 35pts in 33 games (13g, 22a). Last year he finished at 0.83pts/g

Taylor Leier has 38pts in 46 games so far in the WHL (20g, 18a). that's already 1 more pt then last year in 26 less games. his splits last year in case you were wondering was 13g and 24a for 37 pts.

Anthony Stolarz has a .937SV% and a 1.84GAA in his 6GP so far for the Knights.

and in case anyone was wondering (i know he's not a prospect anymore) but sunshine was named to the national team last week and he's posted a .934SV% and a 1.64GAA in 25 gp.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:52 AM
FlyersFan61290

Boucher has been doing fairly well down with the phantoms too. not great but his numbers don't really give him justice imo.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I am happy that Stolarz is doing well.
hopefully the flyers let him continue to develop his game and dont rush him.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:37 PM
7thRoundBust

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Half joking, but seriously the Flyers offense looks abysmal.

Also Syvret just scored to tie the game at 1 vs Connecticut. Any chance he could get a call up? A little desperate, I know, but might be a decent option.
Syvret played with the Flyers before. He's nothing more than an AHL defenseman, possibly a 7th guy on a healthy squad. Scored a goal in the Winter Classic against Boston.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:01 PM
7thRoundBust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Noebels-Laughton-Akeson
McGinn-Cousins-Harper
Wellwood-Holmstrom-Parks
Leier-Brown-Mangene
Zolnierczyk

Jones-Gostisbehere
Manning-Gustafsson
Alt-Lauridsen
Konan

Stolarz
Heeter

Seriously just ice this roster next year. It might be bad but at least the guys would have some fight in them. Bryz can be the coach.

Stolarz should be in the CHL for a couple more years. Goalies take longer to develop.

Gostisbehere should play another year in college. No reason to rush these guys. We can't end up the like Isles. See: Josh Bailey

Old
02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
7thRoundBust

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Cousins is leading the OHL right now in scoring with 80pts (19g and 61a) in 51 games played. that's 3 more pts then the second leading scorer in the league. he's also producing at a rate of ~1.57 pts/g which is an increase over last years pts/g rate of ~1.36

Laughton is now slightly above a ppg with 35pts in 33 games (13g, 22a). Last year he finished at 0.83pts/g

Taylor Leier has 38pts in 46 games so far in the WHL (20g, 18a). that's already 1 more pt then last year in 26 less games. his splits last year in case you were wondering was 13g and 24a for 37 pts.

Anthony Stolarz has a .937SV% and a 1.84GAA in his 6GP so far for the Knights.

and in case anyone was wondering (i know he's not a prospect anymore) but sunshine was named to the national team last week and he's posted a .934SV% and a 1.64GAA in 25 gp.

who is 'Sunshine?' new to these boards...

Old
02-03-2013, 03:44 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thRoundBust View Post
who is 'Sunshine?' new to these boards...
Joacim Eriksson a Swedish goalie drafted by the Flyers in the 7th round of the 2008 NHL draft that was never signed. He's currently playing for Skellefteć in the SEL and is a UFA at 22 years of age.

and i missed a game in his stats. his updated numbers are .936SV% and 1.58GAA in 26 gp.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:13 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thRoundBust View Post
Stolarz should be in the CHL for a couple more years. Goalies take longer to develop.

Gostisbehere should play another year in college. No reason to rush these guys. We can't end up the like Isles. See: Josh Bailey
The Islanders have a history of rushing players from the CHL directly to the NHL (to their credit, they didn't do it this year). If Stolarz performs well next season, he should be in the AHL (or even the ECHL). I don't think its a good idea to send him back to the OHL as an overager just because the original plan was for him to play 3-4 years before turning pro. I wouldn't be opposed to Gostisbehere playing another year at Union, but I also wouldn't want to risk him stagnating playing in the ECAC for another year. You never want to rush guys, but at the same time you have to challenge them.

Closed Thread