HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

OK, I'm moving to Los Angeles

Old
02-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
OK, I'm moving to Los Angeles

This is the situation. I'm 21 about to turn 22, and have lived in the Toronto area my entire life. I'm sick of Toronto, I was supposed to move out but Mom begged me to stay (and I fell for it...) anyway. I want to move out to Los Angeles. I live the sunshine, I like the way the city is so unique. Thing is I don't have a job lined up.

Do you think I should still come? I have money (not a lot) but I can survive for 10 weeks without a job. And where should I live?

Thanks

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:29 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

No job = no move.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Chazz Reinhold

If you can afford it for awhile without a job, you should look into living south of the airport (Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach area). As the names imply, it's right on the beach. You'll also be close to Toyota Center, which is where the Kings practice and there are tons of hockey leagues if you play. Downtown LA is about a 30 minute drive from that area (if there's no traffic, which, good luck...), so if you really want to be right downtown it's a little far. Fair warning: the cost of living is very expensive in California.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:32 AM
damacles1156

Going to be brutal honest.

If you don't have a job lined up.....Don't bother. California has double digit unemployment, and probably around 40 percent under employment.

What type of skills do you posses ? Cause I can tell you right now, if your looking to land some sort of office job, stay in Toronto.

You need to posses some sort of labor skill. Like welding, plumbing,IT, Accounting.

The cost of living in LA is outrageous. It's even bad here in the Central Valley (use to be cheap).

I am currently looking to move out of California, Some place that doesn't tax me to death.

Some place where my 60k Salary actually allows me to live decent.

I am thinking PHX, Mesa area or Tempe. Plus I can carry my sidearm without the cops being called on me....

The California economy right now is a mess, and the State government is worse.

Unless you plan on being a state worker, don't bother moving here.

You can't start a business unless you have a 750 credit score, and 20 percent down.

You cant land a decent paying job, unless you are at the top of your field with a serious degree.

California is in bad shape.

Last edited by damacles1156: 02-02-2013 at 11:41 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
No job = no move.
Ouch. Seems brutal out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
If you can afford it for awhile without a job, you should look into living south of the airport (Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach area). As the names imply, it's right on the beach. You'll also be close to Toyota Center, which is where the Kings practice and there are tons of hockey leagues if you play. Downtown LA is about a 30 minute drive from that area (if there's no traffic, which, good luck...), so if you really want to be right downtown it's a little far. Fair warning: the cost of living is very expensive in California.
Thank you. I have heard so, infact I heard the beach areas were the most expensive. I'll look into them

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Going to be brutal honest.

If you don't have a job lined up.....Don't bother. California has double digit unemployment, and probably around 40 percent under employment.

What type of skills do you posses ? Cause I can tell you right now, if your looking to land some sort of office job, stay in Toronto.

You need to posses some sort of labor skill. Like welding, plumbing,IT, Accounting.

The cost of living in LA is outrageous. It's even bad here in the Central Valley (use to be cheap).

I am currently looking to move out of California, Some place that doesn't tax me to death.

Some place were my 60k Salary actually allows me to live decent.

I am thinking PHX, Mesa area or Tempe. Plus I can carry my sidearm without the cops being called on me....
Thank You. The thing is people in LA won't hire you if you still live up north, let alone in Canada like me.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:46 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Ouch. Seems brutal out there

Thank you. I have heard so, infact I heard the beach areas were the most expensive. I'll look into them

Thank You. The thing is people in LA won't hire you if you still live up north, let alone in Canada like me.
It's rough man,

I would suggest if your serious about wanting to live in California.

You get a serious career, Like Accounting or become an indispensable Welder/Fabricator.

Then apply to the many companies here looking for those (they are in high demand here)They will also pay to sponsor your Visa.

The average age of a welder is 40!!!! My nephew just finished his AWS cert for fabrication. He got hired right out of school for 50k a year(starting) on the oil rigs here in Bakersfield (not bad for a 20 year old).

And his welding school was FREE.....

Last edited by damacles1156: 02-02-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old
02-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Do you have a visa lined up? Or is one of your parents American?

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Don't let the pessimists above detract you.

Obviously, one guy above is sour on California. I understand that. But people wonder why California is so expensive and to be clear, this is where the jobs are.

Why not live in Kansas where homes cost about a quarter of what the do here? Because there are absolutely no jobs there.

So I would take the advice above with a grain of salt. Secure a job, then move. You are young, so apartment living is in your future. But its all about establishing yourself here, and then moving forward.

02-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Good point.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

you'd need a job to get your visa situation sorted out, no?

I'd look into Nevada or Arizona, honestly, it's the same thing but better (since it's cheaper). Or Texas, everyone is moving to Texas.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:50 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Obviously, one guy above is sour on California. I understand that. But people wonder why California is so expensive and to be clear, this is where the jobs are.

Why not live in Kansas where homes cost about a quarter of what the do here? Because there are absolutely no jobs there.

So I would take the advice above with a grain of salt. Secure a job, then move. You are young, so apartment living is in your future. But its all about establishing yourself here, and then moving forward.
There are plenty of service style jobs in California....That pay nothing.

Those jobs also won't pay his 10k dollar Visa sponsor.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Model62

Go ahead. You're young, you have a little money and few responsibilities. What's the worst that can happen? You flop or decide LA is not for you and have to head back home in a couple of months.

As far as a job goes, I'd suggest you start browsing Craigslist before you leave, contact a few local temp agencies, and so on, just to see what's available. But you're Canadian, right? You've got some immigration stuff to work through before you can work here.

Model62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Look here

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

and, as a Canadian, look into this

http://www.tnvisaexpert.com/

you'll need a real job so temp agencies won't do it for you

Old
02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
damacles1156

What skills do you posses ? Companies have to pay a good chunk of change to sponsor your move here(if you go that route).

Old
02-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
I have an American relative, my mom's cousion, he lives in Fontana, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Thank You. I just want a change and it seems like LA is where I need to be. I admit the Beverly Hills song by Weezer got to me

Old
02-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Look here

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

and, as a Canadian, look into this

http://www.tnvisaexpert.com/

you'll need a real job so temp agencies won't do it for you
I was hoping the temp agencies would do it but nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
What skills do you posses ? Companies have to pay a good chunk of change to sponsor your move here(if you go that route).
BA in poli sci and economics

Old
02-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Without an American parent and without a job lined up it's going to be tough to get into the States. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's not as easy as just picking up and moving here. If you're serious about it I would consider you get started with either finding work or applying for the green card lottery, and for the latter you could be waiting years. A majority of the people who get temporary status do so through a work sponsor, who has to prove reasonably that there are no Americans suitable for the job they are outsourcing to someone abroad.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

you might have better luck moving here to go to school, fwiw, it's a lot easier if not cheaper.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:02 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I was hoping the temp agencies would do it but nope.

BA in poli sci and economics
That's going to be rough, to find a company that would sponsor a degree in those.

You are battling about a million Americans in LA with similar degree's.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:03 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
you might have better luck moving here to go to school, fwiw, it's a lot easier if not cheaper.
I was going to suggest that. It would be cheaper and easy.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
This is probably the best option ^^

Old
02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

If you really want to move without ties, as a Canadian you also have some leeway with commonwealth countries. UK, Australia, New Zealand, India, etc. They would be much more welcoming.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
damacles1156

Just make sure you avoid the social studies degree's, They are worthless in America as a whole.

Get a real degree like Engineering, Accounting, Science, or Math.

Or learn a valuable trade skill Welding,Plumbing. Plumbers here in California start at 40k a year with ZERO training.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Have you considered law school? I had a few Canadian friends who went that route after undergrad and they all got work visas easily after graduating. It's expensive, but it might be your best shot unless you find some sort of job. You might also consider looking into jobs in the Southeast and hoping you get lucky.

Quote:
If you really want to move without ties, as a Canadian you also have some leeway with commonwealth countries. UK, Australia, New Zealand, India, etc. They would be much more welcoming.
New Zealand would be, but the others won't. It's virtually impossible to move to the UK without a British spouse due to EU laws and Australia has some very restrictive immigration laws. Commonwealth citizenship doesn't count for much anymore, though it would if you were moving to the Caribbean

Old
02-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Have you looked at options within Canada? What about Vancouver or Montreal?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote