HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Views on the Toronto Maple Leafs (Mod: the hockey team)

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 12:38 PM
sharks9

vCash: 500
They're not a playoff team, but they could be soon if they get their goaltending and defense figured out.

Their defense they pretty much just have to wait a bit and next year when Rielly likely makes the team they'll have a decent back-end, but I don't think Reimer is the answer for them in net. They should try and pick up a veteran over the summer who can help them.

I'm very jealous of their offense though. Even when they lose a lot they get to cheer for a lot of goals.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:43 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
They have grown on me since my last tirade about them 2 weeks ago.

Some young talent. Remier could be the answer in net, just as he might not be. Who knows.

But for a team hovering out of the playoffs for as long as they have, there are close to no building blocks. No real star players coming through the pipeline.

Burke did not do a good job.

But I'm sure because I'm an "Islanders fan" that my opinion has no merit.
I am absolutely Stumped as to why people still say stuff like this.

When Burke Arrived, the leafs were one of oldest teams in the league with very little tradeable assets:

We had a roster of

Hagman - Stajan - Antropov
Ponikarovsky - Grabovski - Kulemin
Blake - Moore - Stempniak
Hollweg - Mitchell - Mayers
Devereaux, Deveaux

Kaberle-Kubina
White-Finger
Schenn-Stralman
Van Ryn,
Frogren

Toskala
Joseph

Our top prospects were Tlusty, and Pogge.

Now, we have:
Lupul - Bozak - Kesel
Van Riemsdyk - Grabovski - Kulemin
Komarov - Kadri - Frattin
Brown - McClement - Orr
MacArthur, Steckel, McLaren

Kostka - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gunnarsson - Komisarek
*Fraser, Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

With prospects like Gardiner, Reilly, Fin, Percy, Biggs etc.

A Big improvement if you ask me.

Now, don't get me wrong. We're still a few big pieces away from being a good team. But considering what Burke had to deal with when he came, I don't know how anyone could say he did a poor job.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

We are poop...

Old
02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I agree with bobermay (^^^). The Leafs finally look like they have a bright future in the league. They've got some top end pieces (Kessel, Phaneuf, JvR) and some nice prospects and young players (Kadri, Komarov, Frattin, Gardiner, Reilly). If they can fill that #1C hole and one of their goalies turns out to be a legitimate starter, then they could be a legitimate team. But those are two big question marks. I don't agree with the firing of Burke, but I guess it had more to do with his persona than with his team building.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:51 PM
mapes

Quote:
Ok, fine, I agree about Morgan Rielly. I just think there should be more talent on the ice, AT THIS JUNCTURE, for finishing out of the playoffs for as long as the Leafs have. And you can't even say definitively they can make it anytime soon. Eastern Conference is way too strong.
I know what you mean and I agree. They traded away most first rounders or guys drafted in the first round so it's dumb management

Old
02-02-2013, 12:57 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I agree with bobermay (^^^). The Leafs finally look like they have a bright future in the league. They've got some top end pieces (Kessel, Phaneuf, JvR) and some nice prospects and young players (Kadri, Komarov, Frattin, Gardiner, Reilly). If they can fill that #1C hole and one of their goalies turns out to be a legitimate starter, then they could be a legitimate team. But those are two big question marks. I don't agree with the firing of Burke, but I guess it had more to do with his persona than with his team building.
JVR and Kessel are not top end pieces. Phaneuf a top end piece? Phaneuf is a terrible defenseman and one of the most overrated players in the league.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you are referring to Kessel and Phaneuf as top end pieces, well then you may never make the playoffs again.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:58 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I know what you mean and I agree. They traded away most first rounders or guys drafted in the first round so it's dumb management
You take away Kessel, and you add Seguin and Hamilton, and the Leafs are on a sure path to the playofs in the near future.

You dont replace pieces like that with Phaneuf and Kessel and refer to them as "top end pieces"

No, Seguin and Hamilton are top end pieces. Tukka Rask, who was also given away, is a "top end piece"

Burke really ****ed that organization.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Considering how long they've been out of the playoffs it's almost silly how few building blocks they have.

But it is what it is I guess.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
Quote:
JVR and Kessel are not top end pieces. Phaneuf a top end piece? Phaneuf is a terrible defenseman and one of the most overrated players in the league.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you are referring to Kessel and Phaneuf as top end pieces, well then you may never make the playoffs again.
If Phaneuf and Kessel aren't top end pieces, the Islanders have exactly one piece. They're both better than anyone on that team save Tavares.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:07 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Ok, fine, I agree about Morgan Rielly. I just think there should be more talent on the ice, AT THIS JUNCTURE, for finishing out of the playoffs for as long as the Leafs have. And you can't even say definitively they can make it anytime soon. Eastern Conference is way too strong.
In addition to forgetting about Reilly, Kadri is currentlya ppg Player and was selected7th overall.

The Leafs young talent is underrated in HF.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:09 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
If Phaneuf and Kessel aren't top end pieces, the Islanders have exactly one piece.
Here we go again comparing the Leafs to the Isles. Do the Leafs have the fastest forward in the league who is coming off a 35 goal season? Do they have a player comparable to Hamonic? Macdonald? A superstar like Tavares? A shutdown center like Neilson? A 3 time 30 goal scorer like Moulson?

The isles rebuilding makes the Leafs rebuilding attempt look like a fan on Hfboards gave it a go and failed.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:10 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
If Phaneuf and Kessel aren't top end pieces, the Islanders have exactly one piece. They're both better than anyone on that team save Tavares.
LMFAO you think Phaneuf is better than macdonald? Streit? Hamonic? Youre a typical Leafs fan. Enjoy the basement, again.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:11 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Here we go again comparing the Leafs to the Isles. Do the Leafs have the fastest forward in the league who is coming off a 35 goal season? Do they have a player comparable to Hamonic? Macdonald? A superstar like Tavares? A shutdown center like Neilson? A 3 time 30 goal scorer like Moulson?

The isles rebuilding makes the Leafs rebuilding attempt look like a fan on Hfboards gave it a go and failed.
Grabner is not coming off a 35 goal season and he is not as good as Kessel.

Old
doubledown99

I kind of like the Leafs. Some of the fanbase annoys me and I might momentarily turn against the team.

The Leafs actually look decent. Carlyle I think is decent coach and can get that team to make the playoffs or at least close. They have a solid foundation. JVR, Kadri and Frattin are looking good. Their D I'd looking nice for the future with Rielly and Gardiner. The team is missing a #1 centre and #1 goalie. I think maybe a #1 D too but Rielly could be that in the future.

I think Leafs fans over value Phaneuf and Lupul. If they could be moved for some of the missing pieces I mentioned above they are looking very good going forward. The have solid prospects at F and D. All they lack is star players. If they get them look out (though lots if teams coup probably say the same

Old
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
Quote:

Oh lord... you'd think this obvious cup contender would have finished higher than the Leafs more than once in the past 5 years.

And didn't Backup Goalie/General Manager Snow just try to trade his entire draft for Ryan Murray?

Last edited by Leafidelity: 02-02-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

Right now I see them as a 10-11 place team unless kessel and lupul (when he comes back) can step up again like last year

Old
02-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

IMO Burkes only mistake was the Kessel trade. It was his biggest though.

UFA signings flop all the time, on every team, not a big deal.

Kessel is a great player but that trade was a Burke ego-booster. He wanted to get a star player for "picks" that he thought would amount to nothing. He thought so highly of himself and what he could accomplish and failed miserably. Built the wrong team, didn't have the right pieces.

He obviously didnt think the pick would be top 2, probably thought top 10 at worst, but thats his fault, the team looked like trash back then.

Glad he was fired, but thankful for everything he did but that. The Kessel trade is what it is though. The only question now is What do the leafs do with Kessel going forward with a new GM and no center.

I dont have to state my thoughts on Phaneuf. I hate Phaneuf, but i would make that Burke trade 100x over. Problem with Phaneuf is that Burke thought he solved his problem and overvalued Phaneuf big time because of his physical play

Old
02-02-2013, 01:14 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
These are some cruddy top-end pieces.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Hammer8

I think I want to see Dion Phaneuf get the **** kicked out of him more than when he was with the Flames.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:17 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

It's an average team that I think has some good things working out for them in Rielly, Kadri and the team gelling. After Kessel they have no star power, anywhere, or top-line power, they could surprise in a couple years [MOD].

Last edited by Fugu: 02-02-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: adding 'no offense' doesn't negate that it is
Old
02-02-2013, 01:17 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
These are some cruddy top-end pieces.
Lol oh yes, a winger who got 82 points with Bozak as his centre is a "cruddy" piece.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:18 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Here we go again comparing the Leafs to the Isles. Do the Leafs have the fastest forward in the league who is coming off a 35 goal season?
Kessel?

Quote:
Do they have a player comparable to Hamonic?
Not quite, but Gardiner is pretty good.

Quote:
Macdonald?
Really??? Franson and Kostka

Quote:
A superstar like Taveres?
Nope. But thats you're only building block according to your definition.

Quote:
A shutdown center like Neilson?
McClement?

Quote:
? A 3 time 30 goal scorer like Moulson?
Well... Kessel for one. But we got lots of supporting guys like Lupul, MacArthur, Kulemin and Frattin.

Quote:

Old
02-02-2013, 01:21 PM
RogerRoeper*

I find it interesting Kadri isn't even considered a good piece going forward. And spare me the small sample sizes argument,other fans see bringing up players who haven't played a game yet.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Well they are off to a respectable start and I am sure they are going to be better than what they have been the last several years as they pretty much have one direction to go. How good will they be? I don't see them as a future contender. As for this year their lack of experience at goaltender will catch up to them.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:25 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Lol oh yes, a winger who got 82 points with Bozak as his centre is a "cruddy" piece.
I said cruddy top-end piece but don't let that deter you. If a one dimensional winger with 331 points in 463 career games (0.71 PPG) is your best player than yeah I'd say that's not good. Let's see Mr. 0 Goals go PPG again before we declare him a PPG player forever.

Closed Thread