HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 02:30 AM
BillDineen

vCash: 500
Flyers will take the best player available as always. Not necessarily a D.

Also, trading Read for D in every proposal is ridiculous. The team's problems this year have been from the forwards.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Read's cap hit makes him far too valuable to trade at this point. He looked awful for 95% of the game tonight, but he also created a goal.

02-02-2013, 09:16 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
It's simply bewildering as to why Couturier is SO overvalued on this board. What has he shown to warrant this acclaim? When you watch him skate, he's slow as molasses.
No, he's plenty fast. Like Richards, he gives off the illusion of slow skating due to his stride, glide, and positioning. Watch him drop low and skate through the neutral zone when he wants to bring the puck in himself (last night's error asside). He's fast. Heard the same complaint against Richards and it wasn't true. Once Richards got a step on a PK breakaway, few in the league were going to catch him.

He can keep Malkin from beating him coming in off the wings, while skating backwards. Guy can skate.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:23 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Read's cap hit makes him far too valuable to trade at this point. He looked awful for 95% of the game tonight, but he also created a goal.
Considering the depth at center and how the wings are performing, the organization needs to take a serious look at trying to resign Read. If the future plays out poorly and Briere and Kimmo go to a contender for picks, Read is an above average winger can score a bit, that plays defense, goes to the right places, and can play make (a little). Feds may not be here next year. That plus a fair raise with Briere and Kimmo coming off the books (hypothetically) makes it possible.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
What is it about Zadorov that you hate so much?

Seems like everybody's lists have him rising and in the top 10 but you always feel the need to chime in and say he's not good enough
The highest I have seen him is 9th on tsn. You keep saying he is top 10 but have only seen him crack it once. I don't hate him, but I don't like reaching for players when we are higher up. If we are 11-20 I'd take him, but I see players like Ristolainen and Pulock who are still around and you take Zadarov? I 100% disagree with that. Ristolainen is the 2nd most talented defender behind Jones.

If Im not mistaken during the fake mock, at #5 you were choosing Zadarov correct? If not, my mistake, if so, thats what I call somewhat bias towards a player.

Last edited by sa cyred: 02-02-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old
02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
TheKingPin

Given that we have no good stud d and the FA pool is horrible for awhile i think we draft for d. Even if that means trading down so bpa is a dman. We have a lot of going fwds. We need dmen like crazy.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Primary Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
No, he's plenty fast. Like Richards, he gives off the illusion of slow skating due to his stride, glide, and positioning. Watch him drop low and skate through the neutral zone when he wants to bring the puck in himself (last night's error asside). He's fast. Heard the same complaint against Richards and it wasn't true. Once Richards got a step on a PK breakaway, few in the league were going to catch him.

He can keep Malkin from beating him coming in off the wings, while skating backwards. Guy can skate.
Read any scouting report on him.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:27 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:

That one.
Great pic of the Phantoms roster!

Old
02-02-2013, 12:20 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I'm truly surprised that no one is talking about mantha as much as other guys. The kid has 40 goals in 48 games (71 points), he's big, he can skate, he has good hands and one hell of a shot. I really want him in a flyers jersey if we end up with multiple 1sts (obviously a defenseman is top priority).

Old
02-02-2013, 12:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'm truly surprised that no one is talking about mantha as much as other guys. The kid has 40 goals in 48 games (71 points), he's big, he can skate, he has good hands and one hell of a shot. I really want him in a flyers jersey if we end up with multiple 1sts (obviously a defenseman is top priority).
On the TSN mid-season ranking show Craig Button said mantha has best shot among all the players in the draft.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:28 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I think there's going to be a good number of players from this draft playing in the nhl next season. Whether its the full season or 9 game try-out.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:29 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
On the TSN mid-season ranking show Craig Button said mantha has best shot among all the players in the draft.
He definitely does imo.

He reminds me a lot of Corey perry or a more physical Jeff carter (in terms of shot velocity and skating).

I think mantha could be exactly what this team needs besides a defenseman. A winger like him should be a close 2nd priority for us.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
He definitely does imo.

He reminds me a lot of Corey perry or a more physical Jeff carter (in terms of shot velocity and skating).

I think mantha could be exactly what this team needs besides a defenseman. A winger like him should be a close 2nd priority for us.
Yeah he sounds like a good one. If we end trading timonen or Briere, I'm going to assume we would end up getting a pick somewhere in the 20's. If Ryan Hartman is there that's a guy I want. Kid just plays like a typical flyer player. He hits, he plays on the pk, he'll drop the gloves, and he's got some skill to go along with it. He's a heart and soul type player.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
It also maximizes his trade value. If Flyers are out of it this season, they should consider trading him.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Yeah he sounds like a good one. If we end trading timonen or Briere, I'm going to assume we would end up getting a pick somewhere in the 20's. If Ryan Hartman is there that's a guy I want. Kid just plays like a typical flyer player. He hits, he plays on the pk, he'll drop the gloves, and he's got some skill to go along with it. He's a heart and soul type player.
I like Hartman too. But we need guys who can develop into top line goal producers. Guys with a lot of skill rather than some skill. We have guys who can develop Into heart and soul guys in couturier, Laughton and maybe Schenn. If we are in the position to pick mantha, I really hope we do. I think he's going to be something special. Unfortunately for us, I think his stock will skyrocket making him a top 10 pick.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I like Hartman too. But we need guys who can develop into top line goal producers. Guys with a lot of skill rather than some skill. We have guys who can develop Into heart and soul guys in couturier, Laughton and maybe Schenn. If we are in the position to pick mantha, I really hope we do. I think he's going to be something special. Unfortunately for us, I think his stock will skyrocket making him a top 10 pick.
Yeah I get what you're saying.

I wouldn't mind taking valeri nichushkin if he falls to the 2nd round. He could be a high end guy if everything goes right and if he ever ends up over here.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:47 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Quote:
Mantha's numbers look great, but of the negative things I've heard from him, they really make me worry. He has such a rare combination of size, speed, and skill that he will look great for a few shifts the entire game, be invisible for the rest of the game, and end up with 3 points at the end of the game. He can disappear for long shifts, pop into the right spot on the ice and score, and then seem to disappear.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:54 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Mantha's numbers look great, but of the negative things I've heard from him, they really make me worry. He has such a rare combination of size, speed, and skill that he will look great for a few shifts the entire game, be invisible for the rest of the game, and end up with 3 points at the end of the game. He can disappear for long shifts, pop into the right spot on the ice and score, and then seem to disappear.
I'm aware of the critiques you're suggesting but idk how accurate they are. Mantha is a sniper. He's absolutely deadly on the PP from the right circle which is something that could be lethal with Giroux. His defense isn't stellar but its not the worst either. He has speed so he can be effective on the back check, similar to how Jeff carter used to use his speed to attack puck carriers from behind on the back check.

Mantha is most useful when he has someone who can get passes to him charging up the wing or cross the slot on the circle. I don't think that what you're describing is all that uncommon for junior level wingers and I don't see it being something that will effect his impact on the nhl level. Do I think he's a guy who can single handedly dominate a game and create numerous chances by himself? No. Do I think he could be very good and effective with a good playmaker centering him? Absolutely.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I think the number 1 reason I want Seth Jones now is just to see the reaction of hfboards if it would happen.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:21 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
Read any scouting report on him.
Why would I defer to a scouting report for a player in his second year, that I've seen play at least 50 games, more if we include Phantoms where speed wise, they were men among boys.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:14 PM
RoDu

our luck, we'll get a couple firsts, then draft a new Ryan Sittler and Jason Bowen

Old
02-02-2013, 07:33 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

If the Flyers end up with the 2nd overall choice, it won't surprise me at all if they shop it to a club that's desperate to move up. The only way they wouldn't move it is if the club that's choosing first overall decides to go with Mackinnon. If Jones ends up going first, then the Flyers shop the hell out of the pick and ask for a first and blue chip prospect defenseman in return. For instance, say if Phoenix moves to Quebec in the off season and they decide they want a player that has appeal to the Quebec fans, I could very easily see Phoenix flipping their first and a player like Gormley to get a chance at drafting either Mackinnon or Drouin. That still leaves the Flyers in a position to draft someone like Rasmus Ristolainen or Ryan Pulock.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:40 PM
chinatown81592
TeddyBridgewater2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
If the Flyers end up with the 2nd overall choice, it won't surprise me at all if they shop it to a club that's desperate to move up. The only way they wouldn't move it is if the club that's choosing first overall decides to go with Mackinnon. If Jones ends up going first, then the Flyers shop the hell out of the pick and ask for a first and blue chip prospect defenseman in return. For instance, say if Phoenix moves to Quebec in the off season and they decide they want a player that has appeal to the Quebec fans, I could very easily see Phoenix flipping their first and a player like Gormley to get a chance at drafting either Mackinnon or Drouin. That still leaves the Flyers in a position to draft someone like Rasmus Ristolainen or Ryan Pulock.
This I could dig. Depending on how the season goes up until the trade deadline leaves me wondering what we could get for Kimmo and Briere (if they are willing to waive their respective NMC's and Danny's custody situation resolves) if we deal them to a contender. tl;dr version its a good draft to have multiple 1st round picks in.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It would be pretty hard to pass up Drouin. I like him better than Mackinnon. I think he's going going to be a special player in this league. He would give us that potential 1st line winger. That's just my opinion though.

But I get what you're saying and wouldn't be totally against it if that's how it played out.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:31 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Here's a video on the draft from TSN. It has some pretty good info on the upcoming draft. In the video Bob McKenzie breaks down his mid-season top 30 rankings, an interview from Seth Jones, a feature on Jonathan Drouin, and Craig Button gives 5 players based on certain attributes they possess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFDyiXKmWQY&hd=1

In the honorable mentions on Bob's list is a local kid Jimmy Lodge. He plays for the Saginaw Spirit in OHL. He's from Downingtown, PA. He'll probably go some where in the 2nd round.

Closed Thread