HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXI

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 02:36 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Teatowel View Post
Indeed, the Flyers have that market cornered!
We're not the Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers, etc. who are a big enough draw regardless of screwing over players. We're just not. Sherman won't be trading Jones, O'Brien, Hunwick, etc. this season.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
viach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Ignore that. Like someone else said, Giordano is a good player and wouldn't be a bad return, but I think the hope would be for a player of similar age. O'Reilly turns 22 this year, Gio turns 30. I think most would prefer a higher risk trade with a younger player.
I don't think so. Most prefer O'Reilly resign with us instead to trade him ! Mostly he knows this organisation well since 3 years and have some good chemistry with our captain and others players.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Both St. Louis and Ottawa deemed him expendable... even though the return on those respective trades was good, there must be something they see that they don't like.
Generally speaking, it's never a good sign. This is his 3rd team and he's only 22. Doesn't mean he can't become a good player but I can't really recall a young player/prospect traded 2-3 times and settle in and take the league by storm. It probably happened but it's certainly not the norm.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:10 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Van der Gulik called up.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Bozak may very well be available for FREE this summer, no need to give up a 2nd round pick for him.
This is actually been something I've thought about a lot the last little while. I only learned recently that he actually lives in Denver, that intrigues me a lot.

Despite the constant forcing of Bozak down our throats from Leafs fans, I actually like the guy and think he would be a very good #3C for us. He's at least average to above average defensively, and a 45 point guy offensively, I would be fine with having him on as our 3rd line Center if we were to move one of our C's.

And the fact that he lives in Denver means there's probably a good chance he'd take a little less money to come here.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
This is actually been something I've thought about a lot the last little while. I only learned recently that he actually lives in Denver, that intrigues me a lot.

Despite the constant forcing of Bozak down our throats from Leafs fans, I actually like the guy and think he would be a very good #3C for us. He's at least average to above average defensively, and a 45 point guy offensively, I would be fine with having him on as our 3rd line Center if we were to move one of our C's.

And the fact that he lives in Denver means there's probably a good chance he'd take a little less money to come here.
He has hit 45 points once and he has been getting close to 20 mins per game. I don't think he would get that kind of ice time if he was a third line center and he wouldn't be playing with offensive players like Kessel and Lupul either.

I also don't see him taking less money to sign with the Avs. He'll get less ice time and play a lesser role here. I believe we were one of the teams interested in him when he became a free agent but he chose to sign with the Leafs instead. He is also represented by Don Meehan and if he has another 45-50 point season, the starting point in negotations might be $3.5-4M/yr.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
He has hit 45 points once and he has been getting close to 20 mins per game. I don't think he would get that kind of ice time if he was a third line center and he wouldn't be playing with offensive players like Kessel and Lupul either.

I also don't see him taking less money to sign with the Avs. He'll get less ice time and play a lesser role here. I believe we were one of the teams interested in him when he became a free agent but he chose to sign with the Leafs instead. He is also represented by Don Meehan and if he has another 45-50 point season, the starting point in negotations might be $3.5-4M/yr.
The Meehan thing could be an issue haha. I still think we'd have a better chance then anyone else at signing him if he hit free agency, and as a 3C he'd be alright for us.

Then again if Sgarbossa ends up doing well this year we really wont need anymore C's regardless of what happens with our Big 3.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Foppa Frossa

Dater:

Quote:
Elliotte Friedman says the Avs are looking for forward help...
And it's believed the Avs are trying to deal one of their eight defensemen to make that happen. Shane O'Brien is a likely candidate, but it could be anyone really, save for Erik Johnson.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Dater:
They will probably trade a D-man for Zach Boychuk and say they have been targeting him from years.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Dater:
What can we possible get for sob or anyone save for Erik, to upgrade the forwards? Hell why are we trying to fix the offense when the defense is much much worse. Arg at least they're showing signs of life and this play isn't acceptable. I guess.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:56 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

My guess is that O'Byrne is the first to be traded. The fact that SOB is signed for 2.5 more years at $2 per makes me think that the return for him wouldn't be very good or very many suitors.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
My guess is that O'Byrne is the first to be traded. The fact that SOB is signed for 2.5 more years at $2 per makes me think that the return for him wouldn't be very good or very many suitors.
I don't know. Colorado's defensemen are signed to multiple year deals, but they are at very team-favorable annual cap hits. They may have more value to teams in some situations.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:02 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

True, maybe to a team like Ottawa that needs a ton of defensive help (along with forward help since Spezza went down). I would easily do a SOB for a Jim O'Brien trade.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:50 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
My guess is that O'Byrne is the first to be traded.
Agreed, but the Avs have not often shown the knack for deadline deals where they move a veteran guy in the last year of his contract for younger potential. That McGinn deal last year gives me some hope.

O'Byrne is the obvious one that could be moved, mostly due to his contract. Doubt anyone would be willing to take on O'Brien's silly 3 year contract - Milbury isn't a GM anymore. Hejda's contract is likely too rich for many teams to take on, and Hunwick has simply stunk it up too much. Maybe Zanon - two years at a manageable number...?

But this is all 3rd pairing speculation for almost every team out there. How much forward help can one get for a 3rd pairing defenseman?

Old
02-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I don't think Zanon will be traded. He was just signed as a UFA.

O'Brien and Hunwick were also UFAs but they were Avs players before, so it's less sensitive to trade them.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:48 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I don't think Zanon will be traded. He was just signed as a UFA.

O'Brien and Hunwick were also UFAs but they were Avs players before, so it's less sensitive to trade them.
Agreed. I'd think O'Byrne would be the first to go since he's a pending UFA. Anyone that (re-)signed over the summer is here at least for this season, unless they ask for a trade.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
why are we always a year late on assessing our roster? We've needed forwards since Flash left.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
why are we always a year late on assessing our roster? We've needed forwards since Flash left.
This was supposed to be our top nine this season:

Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Hejduk-O'Reilly-Downie

Maybe they needed to add one more forward but Sherman did a solid job up front.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:50 PM
chet1926

With the rumors of us looking for forward help due to all of the injuries. I'd like to see the Avs look at MPS. Seems to have fallen out of favor in EDM, I know he hasn't been scoring but he really hasn't been given much ice time due to EDMs solid top 6. With our injuries we could give more ice time than he was getting and maybe thats what he needs.

I'd be willing to ship a dman like O'Brien or O'Bryne (both would easily be better than some of their dmen) and a mid prospect for MPS and a mid prospect.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
With the rumors of us looking for forward help due to all of the injuries. I'd like to see the Avs look at MPS. Seems to have fallen out of favor in EDM, I know he hasn't been scoring but he really hasn't been given much ice time due to EDMs solid top 6. With our injuries we could give more ice time than he was getting and maybe thats what he needs.

I'd be willing to ship a dman like O'Brien or O'Bryne (both would easily be better than some of their dmen) and a mid prospect for MPS and a mid prospect.
Easily. Especially if they'll take SOB. I don't see the need to include the mid-prospects from both sides, but whatever. Does EDM go for this, though? They need defense.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

He hasn't done anything yet but I don't see the Oilers just giving MPS to a division rival like that.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

They'd probably want ROR for him.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
They'd probably want ROR for him.
Wouldn't be surprised. Or at the very least, they would ask for someone like Siemens.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Foppa2118

I really only see O'Byrne or Wilson being moved on the backend, so I wonder if these rumors of trading a defenseman just took a hit with Wilson getting hurt. O'Byrne's been playing like crap too, so I doubt there's a great deal of interest in him right now.

I don't know why they would give up assets for a forward anyway, when a real defenseman is what they need. I know they were struggling scoring for a while, but they're doing ok now. Sgarbossa needs more minutes too, he looks real good out there. Real calm, confident, and some great instincts both offensively and defensively.

I hope these "rumors" are just smoke screen to pressure O'Reilly's camp into thinking they are moving ahead without him.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
They have plenty of forwards, They just need the top guys in Stastny, Duchene, and PAP to play like top players. Landy, McGinn, Downie, O'Reilly, Jones, Hejduk, and apparently Mitchell are all good secondary forwards.

Closed Thread