HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Views on the Toronto Maple Leafs (Mod: the hockey team)

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
You do know the Islanders have made the Playoffs more recently than the Leafs? Maybe you should stop laughing and realize your team has been in the same boat as them. Hey, at least they didn't trade their first round draft picks for Moulson.
Players remaining from the last time the Islanders made the playoffs: 1

You should take your own advice and worry about the Avalanche, and the first Canadian player to ever defect to Russia.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
I said cruddy top-end piece but don't let that deter you. If a one dimensional winger with 331 points in 463 career games (0.71 PPG) is your best player than yeah I'd say that's not good. Let's see Mr. 0 Goals go PPG again before we declare him a PPG player forever.
Yet you're fine with other fans bringing up players with 0 NHL points as major pieces...

Old
02-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Oleg Petrov

Montrealer's POV

The Leafs are like that rich loser in the bar who is buying all the girls drinks while they end up going home with the French guy.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
RogerRoeper*

The Islanders are going nowhere with that ownership and that GM who's job it is to get coffee for His owner and say "yes sir".

Old
02-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
This is like watching the Islanders and Leafs play in real life...

Post 200whatever playoff series of course

Old
02-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
The Leafs are like that rich loser in the bar who is buying all the girls drinks while they end up going home with the French guy.
This is all sorts of confusing... you say you're a Montrealer?

Old
02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

@Oleg

Next time you post, don't try so hard.

Leafs are much better off from where they were a few years ago in terms of organizational health/depth. Still hasn't translated to wins though and that's what really matters in the end.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The Islanders are going nowhere with that ownership and that GM who's job it is to get coffee for His owner and say "yes sir".
The Islanders should improve with the arena deal and move to Brookyln. They won't be losing money like crazy and should be able to start spending money. Brooklyn would be the 4th largest city in the US if it weren't part of New York. What's the "crown jewel's" excuse for being chilling with the Islanders in the standings lately?

Old
02-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Quarter
Cone of Silence

Quote:
The Islanders should improve with the arena deal and move to Brookyln. They won't be losing money like crazy and should be able to start spending money. Brooklyn would be the 4th largest city in the US if it weren't part of New York. What's the "crown jewel's" excuse for being chilling with the Islanders in the standings lately?
How exactly does moving to the Barclay's Center make the Islanders money. I'm just curious. It holds less people than Nassau, and even then NYI is currently averaging lower attendance than the BC's capacity.

Is it because they'll be closer to the city centre?

Old
02-02-2013, 12:44 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:

I'm shocked the Leafs could be in the same league as the Islanders. That team has has amazing young talent for years while the Leafs have nothing.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
How exactly does moving to the Barclay's Center make the Islanders money. I'm just curious. It holds less people than Nassau, and even then NYI is currently averaging lower attendance than the BC's capacity.

Is it because they'll be closer to the city centre?
It's another excuse to give the Islanders credit in the future. Like their amazing prospects.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Mctopchowda

Kadri and Frattin have been a pleasant suprise. I was a Kadri skeptic but its looks he has found his game. The team this year has been playing above expectations and are not last place (playoff position I believe)

View on other players:

Kessels lack of production is alarming but hell find his points

Reimer has been good

Dont like Phaneufs game

Overall they have been good

Old
02-02-2013, 12:49 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

I'm a leaf fan so this may not be the least biased opinion but ill give it anyway. The Leafs are being built in the mould of St. Louis/Boston, or at least that's where they are currently headed. A team void of all but one elite talent (Kessel vs. Chara vs. Pietrangelo (obviously Kessel is the worst of the 3)) and a good supporting cast of very good player. Lines one through 3 have multiple threats and its hard to contain. However Torontos D is pathetic, barely NHL calibre, with a questionable goaltender. Offensively they're really good, but defence may be the cause of their failure. Any success this season is contingent on Reimer played well.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:56 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I'm shocked the Leafs could be in the same league as the Islanders. That team has has amazing young talent for years while the Leafs have nothing.
You keep repeating that the Islanders have had this "amazing young talent for years" but you're full of it. Because of Milbury's actions before the 04-05 Lockout the Islanders had nothing in their system coming out of it. They had an old team that was able to squeeze one more playoff appearance and then bottomed out quickly. Who exactly did the Islanders have in 08-09 that would constitute an "amazing future"? Nobody. Their rebuild began with them picking up Josh Bailey and Tavares was the first major piece that would get fans optimistic for the future.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
JVR and Kessel are not top end pieces. Phaneuf a top end piece? Phaneuf is a terrible defenseman and one of the most overrated players in the league.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you are referring to Kessel and Phaneuf as top end pieces, well then you may never make the playoffs again.
Kessel finished 6th in league scoring last year.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:59 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
And one point ahead of the almighty John Tavares in the same amount of games.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Views on the Toronto Maple Leafs? Isn't that every thread?

Old
02-02-2013, 01:00 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Possibly the only situation where one could not call Kessel a top end piece is the Canadian olympic team

Old
02-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Atomos2
WE ARE ABLE 340

vCash: 543
Quote:
I said cruddy top-end piece but don't let that deter you. If a one dimensional winger with 331 points in 463 career games (0.71 PPG) is your best player than yeah I'd say that's not good. Let's see Mr. 0 Goals go PPG again before we declare him a PPG player forever.
I really don't care for your view on the state of the leafs. If your belief is that one of the best offensive players in the league is a cruddy player, how can I take your views on talents and the state of a team seriously.

And I am ignoring the fact that you are a well-known leaf hater that I had an argument with about Rielly a while back. I just don't think you can separate your emotions from making an objective unbiased opinion.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

MOD NOTE:

This is a hockey forum, and last time I checked, the Leafs were still a hockey team. That is what you should be discussing, not each other nor bashing other fan groups.

If you don't like the thread--- find another one. We have thousands upon thousands.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:04 PM
RogerRoeper*

It's funny to me Kessel is a joke if a "piece" to have, but fans can name unproven prospects as pieces and no one has any issues with that.

And btw , JVR was selected second overall and looks great. Terrific trade by Burke.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Shakey Rustie
3L

vCash: 50
Phaneuf reminds me of McCabe, except that he earns more money.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:10 PM
RogerRoeper*

That's a good thing. McCabe was a very good D-man

Old
02-02-2013, 01:18 PM
blendini

People love to hate the Leafs (it helps if your team is underwhelming). Saying Kessel is not a top end piece is ridiculous. He is a natural sniper who has been very consistent without the benefit of a top C.

The team looks much better than they did before Burke (who unloaded several underwhelming players).

The core has improved and they have some young prospects that are looking good.

When they find that #1 C, people will be surprised with the success that follows.

PS I am far from being a Leaf fan, but I'm not a 'hater' either.

Closed Thread