HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

All purpose Shawn Thornton Thread: Update: Out 7-10 days (Concussion) See post #125

Old
02-02-2013, 06:58 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Haha the only thing this fat idiot has ever gone after is a buffet, its just as irritating to see the same webpage posting a link to Felger and Mazz discussing if Chara should have fought him.

Buffalo didn't dominate the game the Bruins were in control most of it. Sometimes it just falls apart. Vanek makes 8 mil a year and had his career game as well, that obviously helps. Vanek would be the best player in the NHL if he bothered to play like that more often. Sucks it happened against us. And Tuukka got outplayed by Miller.

Its easy for idiots like him and Felger to slam Chara. Chara has fought plenty of guys as tough as Scott. The Bruins cannot make that tradeoff of Scott for Chara. You do that and Buffalo gets rewarded for dressing someone who cant play hockey.

You might as well blame THornton for getting his ass kicked because the captain is now getting criticized b/c Thornton lost badly and couldn't wrestle another victory. THat is more sensible than the reasoning people who want to bash Chara are using.

Blame Seguin for coming back from Europe and sucking. How come our leading scorer from last year couldn't play well a night Vanek goes off?

Marchand has been carrying the goal scoring load for that line, why does Tyler get a pass? If Brad had played as ****** as Seguin has there'd be 10 threads on this board slamming him.

This isn't directed at you Whammer but can anyone on here imagine how much **** Marchand would be getting if Seguin and Bergeron were playing great and he was struggling?

And while I like Thornton and hope he is OK, the truth is he got his ass kicked by Scott. If he had managed to wrestle successfully with the big fella we probably win the game and Buffalo doesn't have their biggest win in 10 years which they are celebrating like a Stanley Cup championship. A lot of the blame for this lies on Thornton catching a beating. Not sure why he is some noble warrior just b/c he happened to lose. Its his job to fight those guys and he had won a lot of bouts going into that one. He lost, and now the Sabres are apparently in our heads like we were in theres.

How can that be anyone but Thornton's fault (if there is someone to blame for Scott being allowed to fight noone should have fought that idiot Thornton should have concentrated on hockey.)
Thornton`s losing the fight had zero impact on the game. The boys had ALL the momentum when they took the two penalties at one time and let the Sabres back into it followed by uncharacteristic lapses defensively

Last edited by DaveG: 02-02-2013 at 07:28 AM.
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Thornton`s losing the fight had zero impact on the game. The boys had ALL the momentum when they took the two penalties at one time and let the Sabres back into it followed by uncharacteristic lapses defensively
But, ODAAT, Sabres fans say it's because Scott intimidated the Bruins! And Habs fans too! How can you dispute such experts?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Mazzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
I don't understand this reasoning.
If Miller wasn't injured by the Lucic hit than nobody would remember it either.

If Thornton had held his own (ready for round 2 or even 3) then Lucic or Chara would have known that he wasn't next in line to fight if he went over the line.

If their enforcer knocks out our enforcer then there is nobody (other than Chara or Lucic) to answer the challenge. We built a team identity based on not backing down. Chara had the worst game I have seen from him in years and years. I'd like to think he wasn't distracted, but.... I dunno man, something was off with him...
Anyone who thinks that having a guy like Scott out there, who's job it is to hump it around the ice, yapping and throwing elbows at the little guys, isn't a distraction is kidding themselves. If this kind of mental game didn't work, nobody would be doing it.

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:53 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzie View Post
Anyone who thinks that having a guy like Scott out there, who's job it is to hump it around the ice, yapping and throwing elbows at the little guys, isn't a distraction is kidding themselves. If this kind of mental game didn't work, nobody would be doing it.
these players have played probably 100 or more games per year so thousands of some form of organized hockey for 15 to 30 years; they've played against every conceivable type of player and if your brain is consciously worrying about who is out there they would get destroyed be it puck or collision; certainly they are consciously aware but its a reaction sport and if htey let this stuff creep in they are gone from the league fast

They just play, they react....the North Stars player Alex Piruis who was at the forefront of the famous brawl at Boston Garden that led the image of the ages John Wensink skating to the bench and challenging the entire Minny roster, said he never realized it was Stan Jonathan he collided with and ended up in the first battle at center ice, until they started to go- it happened so fast

I don't think it is any distraction one bit until Scott actually commits the act. There has been plenty of Scotts thru each of their history- much more undisciplined than Scott. An OHL player told me last year the worry is getting hit by such young guys who don't quite grasp the technique, concept, respect. This player told me he got a concussion because he got hit that way- the kid didn't have any vengence or malice he just made a bad front to back hit.

I'm curious which Bruins will stay away from making a play because Scott is out there and be intimidated...I cant think of one

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:03 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
But, ODAAT, Sabres fans say it's because Scott intimidated the Bruins! And Habs fans too! How can you dispute such experts?
My bad, they are so wise

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I agree that the Bruins carried the play and that those 2questionable penalties changed the game. But usually we see the Bruins clearing the crease crashing the next pushing and shoving and challenging their opponents. Against the Sabres...not so much.

Maybe the refs were the intimidated ones. Lucic gets 2 for outmuscling a Sulzer. The Bruins were pressing, they score the next goal and maybe we would have seen a different response.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchogan88 View Post
I completely disagree with people saying that Chara shouldn't have stepped up. Buffalo brings in this huge guy and we respond with Thornton? Why does he have to fight every battle?

I understand we don't want Z in the box but I don't care what anyone says, that fight set the tone. Chara has dropped the gloves for way less of a reason many times. I think he should've handled this.

I'm not saying they have to go out and fight every goon that steps on the ice. I'm saying that it seems as though it was planned for Thornton to take care of Scott before the game started. Chara should've told him to let him take care of it. And what I mean by that is they should've let Scott be a goon and if it was necessary Chara should've dropped the gloves.

I'd much rather have Chara off the ice for 5 minutes to set the tone than have Thornton out with a concussion. And we all know that nobody Thornton's size on the Sabres would've stepped up to Chara so why does Thornton have to step up to Scott?
I'd much rather have Thornton out with a concussion than Chara out with a concussion.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Mazzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
these players have played probably 100 or more games per year so thousands of some form of organized hockey for 15 to 30 years; they've played against every conceivable type of player and if your brain is consciously worrying about who is out there they would get destroyed be it puck or collision; certainly they are consciously aware but its a reaction sport and if htey let this stuff creep in they are gone from the league fast

They just play, they react....the North Stars player Alex Piruis who was at the forefront of the famous brawl at Boston Garden that led the image of the ages John Wensink skating to the bench and challenging the entire Minny roster, said he never realized it was Stan Jonathan he collided with and ended up in the first battle at center ice, until they started to go- it happened so fast

I don't think it is any distraction one bit until Scott actually commits the act. There has been plenty of Scotts thru each of their history- much more undisciplined than Scott. An OHL player told me last year the worry is getting hit by such young guys who don't quite grasp the technique, concept, respect. This player told me he got a concussion because he got hit that way- the kid didn't have any vengence or malice he just made a bad front to back hit.

I'm curious which Bruins will stay away from making a play because Scott is out there and be intimidated...I cant think of one
I agree with you about intimidation (these guys would never be pros if they were afraid of *anything*), but disagree about being distracted. Anyways, fighting in hockey is like left vs right in politics, so not trying to win the argument, not possible

I watch a lot of boxing, and the trainers are always doing crazy stuff to throw off the opponent. Its rampant in the NFL as well, like Brady walking around in the boot a few days before the super bowl, etc. Obviously not the same thing, and not trying to make a direct comparison. Just saying that head games are a huge part of pro sports, where every little advantage is huge.

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Haha. Two forums I will never venture over to. Well, maybe Montreal. They have some good posters. Buffalo is celebrating that win like a dvd is going to be made of it.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:53 AM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Hopefully this knocks some sense into Thornton. Had no business going with john Scott. Should have let Scott derp around on the ice and be a major liability

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
Haha. Two forums I will never venture over to. Well, maybe Montreal. They have some good posters. Buffalo is celebrating that win like a dvd is going to be made of it.
Little do they know we here on the B's board have already written a book about it.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
You guys have like 1500 posts about it....

I think you're imagining the Buffalo fan response.... You want is to care. It was an awesome game, and now it time to play the Habs.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:12 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballershotcaller12 View Post
Hopefully this knocks some sense into Thornton. Had no business going with john Scott. Should have let Scott derp around on the ice and be a major liability
I think he should have waited until later in the game, I gave buffalo early confidence should have let that pilon play his 4 minutes.

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
Little do they know we here on the B's board have already written a book about it.
Knee jerk city over here after one loss.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

8 Threads, 2606 posts and counting in regards to Buffalo, Scott/Thorton

Don't know if The Sabres are in the Bruins heads , but they are definitely in this boards heads

Old
02-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post

Don't know if The Sabres are in the Bruins heads , but they are definitely in this boards heads
Why are you here ?

02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Why are you here ?
I'm the hero Boston needs?

Old
02-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:

You actually took the time to count that. Lol.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
You actually took the time to count that. Lol.
It took like 1:00.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

No hero we need would practice karate

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

You don't know?

I think I'll go over to the Sabres board and count threads. Not like I'm obsessed with them or anything.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:01 PM
westernhome

Quote:
Knee jerk city over here after one loss.
it is not the loss of the game that matters at all

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Don't know if the Sabres are in the playoffs but its not looking good today.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
Don't know if the Sabres are in the playoffs but its not looking good today.
Neither is downtown Buffalo. Had plane trouble, had to land there. It was like landing in 1974. Swear I saw Jimmy Carter campaign signs. Prozac adds everywhere. Terminal actually had functioning black and white TV's, and carpeting like Herb Brooks' suit! I escaped, but some aren't so lucky.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:31 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Neither is downtown Buffalo. Had plane trouble, had to land there. It was like landing in 1974. Swear I saw Jimmy Carter campaign signs. Prozac adds everywhere. Terminal actually had functioning black and white TV's, and carpeting like Herb Brooks' suit! I escaped, but some aren't so lucky.
Green screen computers for check-in?

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote