HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks need a shakeup

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2003, 01:15 AM
  #1
sdbullet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
Canucks need a shakeup

I really think this team needs a bit of a shakeup/wakeup call. I would love to see Brian Burke bring in a real high energy/high tempo player to center the 4th line. Basically a ***** disturber who would help set the tone to the game. Maybe a player along the lines of PJ Stock, Scott Nichol or Steve Begin. Nothing more than a high energy 4th liner type. The team just seems to be too sluggish and a bit lazy as well. I would also like to see the following lineup changes:

Naslund-Sedin-Bertuzzi ...first line scoring with a true setup centerman
Sedin-Morrison-Linden ...balanced second line hopefully Daniel gets going
Arvedson-Chubarov-Cooke ...solid 3rd line shutdown line
May-Stock-Keane/Ruutu ...smash-mouth 4th line,energy,agitation,hitting

Ohlund-Salo ... solid shutdown pairing
Malik-Jovo ... scoring and secondary shutdown line
Allen-Sopel ... less ice time helps Sopel from making too many mistakes

*If Allen keeps improving at a fast rate, I could see him replace Malik on the 2nd pairing and thus move him down to play with Sopel.

sdbullet is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 01:36 AM
  #2
PhillyNucksFan
Registered User
 
PhillyNucksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,652
vCash: 500
I disagree. we might need a shakeup..but I wouldnt do it now. you're hitting panic button too fast and too early, and we dont need a 4th line energy center as we have plenty of those.. we can simply get someone from farm to get some energy.

we just need to get Cooke back... thats all... bottom line, team is winning still with its pathetic PP.. once our PP gets going, we'll be fine.. and we'll see whats available at the deadline.. personally, if we ever getting a shakeup, it may as well be getting someone like Ricci in return.. otherwise, I see no point making any trade right now.

PhillyNucksFan is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 06:10 AM
  #3
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,663
vCash: 50
Yes, I agree we need some kind of shake up. While everyone is all over the Sedins their trade value will be lower right now. However, I like
H. Sedin. I don't he is the problem. I think his brother Daniel is giving the Sedin family name a black mark. Here is what I would do for a shake-up.

Trade Morrison. Insert H. Sedin on the top line. Use Morrison to get more scoring help or another top line center.

Who knows.

Peter is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 06:21 AM
  #4
deathbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Manitoba
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,410
vCash: 500
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!

NO MORE THIRD OR FOURTH LINE ROLE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!! thats all it seems we have after the first line!!!

trade some of the dead weight for scoring help.

deathbear is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 07:02 AM
  #5
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Trade Morrison. Insert H. Sedin on the top line. Use Morrison to get more scoring help or another top line center.

Who knows.
Why would you trade Morrison?!?!?!?

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 08:06 AM
  #6
galiano
Registered User
 
galiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: why do you ask ?
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Yes, I agree we need some kind of shake up. While everyone is all over the Sedins their trade value will be lower right now. However, I like
H. Sedin. I don't he is the problem. I think his brother Daniel is giving the Sedin family name a black mark. Here is what I would do for a shake-up.

Trade Morrison. Insert H. Sedin on the top line. Use Morrison to get more scoring help or another top line center.

Who knows.
Morrison is the 5th highest scoring NHL center tied with Roenick ahead of Federov, Yzerman etc. Why in heavens name would we trade him ?He's likely the most underrated player on the Canucks, plays every game, and continues to improve at both ends of the rink.

A shakeup of some sort but trading Brendan Morrison ? Bad idea.

galiano is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 08:54 AM
  #7
BrianBurke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
How about a shakeup from within... Brandon Reid provided great energy when he came up late last year. Why not give him some NHL time now, and see if his enthusiasm is contagious?

BrianBurke is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 08:59 AM
  #8
Burkey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbear
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!

NO MORE THIRD OR FOURTH LINE ROLE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!! thats all it seems we have after the first line!!!

trade some of the dead weight for scoring help.
Problem is, that these "dead weight" third or fourth line role players don't hold much trade value. Some do, don't get me wrong. Guys like Matt Cooke, Artem Chubarov and Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin hold good trade value, but they aren't exactly "dead weight" material and I somehow can't see the Canucks moving them. Guys like Brad May and Jarkko Ruutu are not going to get scoring help.

Burkey is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 09:18 AM
  #9
deathbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Manitoba
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,410
vCash: 500
thats why we should trade the sedins.

look, for all you sedin lovers out there, my ranting about them might actually work against me and all of a sudden theyll start scoring. ill be happy to eat my words.

deathbear is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 11:41 AM
  #10
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,663
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano
Morrison is the 5th highest scoring NHL center tied with Roenick ahead of Federov, Yzerman etc. Why in heavens name would we trade him ?He's likely the most underrated player on the Canucks, plays every game, and continues to improve at both ends of the rink.

A shakeup of some sort but trading Brendan Morrison ? Bad idea.
Why in heavens name??? Because he is a RFA and will be commanding big bucks this summer. Because we have the likes of Kesler and Federov waiting in the wings.

Peter is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 11:46 AM
  #11
BrianBurke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Why in heavens name??? Because he is a RFA and will be commanding big bucks this summer. Because we have the likes of Kesler and Federov waiting in the wings.
Oh cmon... you are seriously expecting either of them to replace that kind of production on a team that is nearly Cup ready?
Kesler is projected as a third liner... Federov is... well not sure what he is, but at the moment, whatever it is is no where near Morrison's level.

BrianBurke is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 02:07 PM
  #12
Burkey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbear
thats why we should trade the sedins.

look, for all you sedin lovers out there, my ranting about them might actually work against me and all of a sudden theyll start scoring. ill be happy to eat my words.
I don't think it really matters whether or not the Canucks should trade the Sedins, because I just don't see it happening.

I am by no means a Sedin lover, but it's obvious that they have the skills to be solid NHLers. It's quite possible they were overhyped and will never be as good as advertised, but they have solid defensive games for someone their age, are very good at cycling down low and are both good passers. Daniel has a good shot, as well. I think it's a bit early to rule them out and say that they'll never pan out. Their progress has been agonizingly slow, but they are improving and I think their play earlier this season was a hint of what they are capable of.

Look up and down through your system. The Canucks are a fairly young team, but there has been some talk of Naslund leaving once his contract is up to go and play in Sweden. By no means am I guaranteeing that he'll leave (for the Canucks' sake, I hope he doesn't), but if he does and maybe guys like Morrison leave or are traded, who in your system will replace them? Admit it, your system is mainly comprised of farmhands (Tyler Bouck, Pat Kavanaugh and Ryan Ready, just to name a few), sleepers (Nicklas Danielsson and Evgeny Gladskikh), likely future role players (Ryan Kesler, Marc-Andre Bernier and Nathan Smith) and question marks (R.J. Umberger because of his contract situation, Kirill Koltsov because of his character and attitude and Fedor Fedorov because of his lack of work ethic and character and attitude problems). Guys with the potential to score - like the Sedins - are few and far between.

And lastly, I don't see the Canucks moving the twins because they wheeled and dealed their way into getting them. Brian Burke said a statement when he managed to get the second and third overall picks to draft them with - he said that these kids were the Canucks future. And to move them now would make him and the rest of the organization look bad.

Some players are busts who never break out. The Sedins could be busts. But it's too early to tell. In any case, they are a cornerstone of the Canucks organization and will likely be donning Canuck uniforms for some time.

Burkey is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 02:16 PM
  #13
Burkey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Why in heavens name??? Because he is a RFA and will be commanding big bucks this summer. Because we have the likes of Kesler and Federov waiting in the wings.
Kesler is just 19 years old. Do you honestly expect him to replace Morrison (if the Canucks were to trade him)? All things considered, it's a little early to be projecting Kesler as an NHLer, never mind as a top six forward on the Canucks. It's quite possible that the Canucks will allow him another season or two to develop in the minors before easing him into the lineup. I know he's played a handful of games for the Canucks and looked pretty good, but I don't see him being in the NHL full-time next season. And certainly not replacing Morrison if the Canucks were to trade him.

Fedorov is a huge question mark. He might have the best upside of any Canuck prospect, or maybe we hockey fans get so excited about him because of his last name that we forget that he really isn't as good as his older brother. Fedorov could become an NHL player, and I wouldn't be stupid enough to rule him out because he has an impressive package of skills, but he doesn't have very good work ethic. He also has questionable character and attitude problems. Such problems can keep guys out of the NHL, whether they are the younger brother of a famous hockey player or not. I definitely don't see him as ready to take over for Morrison by next season either. I don't even know whether he's an NHLer, though his skills are probably NHL-caliber.

Burkey is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 09:12 PM
  #14
PhillyNucksFan
Registered User
 
PhillyNucksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,652
vCash: 500
bah, im sick and tired of hearing you ppl keep saying trade the sedins. Its people like you who could screw up say.. a 5 year plan. How old are the Sedins?? 23??? How many 23 year old super stars out there in then NHL, except the likes of Ilya, Heatly and etc. I dont see that many. Besides, the canucks dont need sedins to be 60 point scorers to be elite. and Sedins, lacks of goal production for sure, but are still on their way to a decent 40-50 point season, while being responsible defensively. not to mention, Bertuzzi is not even scoring that many goals now and Canucks are still among the top of the west.
Besides, do you trade Sedins for who?? 2 for 1 deal for likes of..?? I dont see anyone would part HIGH SCORING forward to us for Sedins, even if they do, I dont see how that fills our hole again, and you could possibly opens up even more holes.

trade morrison?!?!?!?!? you gotta be kidding me. Who can you get in return?? you're trading one of our higher scoring forward for another similar scoring forward?? HOW DOES THAT HELP US?? God...!?!?


again, shakeup is not what we need, improvement from within is all we need. Maybe, we need to trade some of our more decent 3rd/4th line guys for guys like Ricci, say, Umberger/Chubby for Ricci? I'd say thats a fair deal, given the situation Canucks are in right now.

PhillyNucksFan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.