HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Trade Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Buffalo would not trade Vanek right now for anything in the world. Guy is unbelievably hot. Also, no more trades for players like Ward / Goose / Gill. Sit on what we have until you can make a major move for a real forward. You might not get the Vaneks / Kovalchuks / etc. of the world, but someone like a Pominville might be achievable. It will be expensive though.

I would not make any trades until ~Game 24. If we're in neigh-lottery territory, sit on what you have, trade the spare parts (Gill / Goose / SK maybe) at the deadline for overpriced returns, make some smart draft picks, replace the traded spare parts with some up and coming young guys (Watson, Ekholm, etc.) and see where we end up. Even if we're in 7-9 territory, I certainly wouldn't sell the barn. Let's be real here; the Cup is not coming down Broadway this Summer.

I don't envy Poile for his job; being a GM has to be brutal.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:19 PM
thecloser

vCash: 500
Is Getzlaf an option for us in the offseason?

Also, we need to definitely see if we can get a trade and extension for Kessel.

My number one choice would be to go after Kessel or Clowe either soon or atleast at the trade deadline.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
Is Getzlaf an option for us in the offseason?

Also, we need to definitely see if we can get a trade and extension for Kessel.

My number one choice would be to go after Kessel or Clowe either soon or atleast at the trade deadline.
San Jose's whipping boy? No thanks.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I wonder if anyone would pick up Gaustad if we waived him? He is making far too much money for what he brings. His coin should've been going to a top line winger. Besides, we have enough guys who can play center on this team to make up for him.

The Preds need to target 1, just one 1st line forward. Not maybe first line forward, a bona fide first line forward.

EDIT: Either that or you go after a pair of 40pt producers and run 3 lines.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:49 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

if we could snag Loui Eriksson thatd be completely satisfying

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Paul Gaustad for a whoopee cushion.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
I wonder if anyone would pick up Gaustad if we waived him? He is making far too much money for what he brings. His coin should've been going to a top line winger. Besides, we have enough guys who can play center on this team to make up for him.

The Preds need to target 1, just one 1st line forward. Not maybe first line forward, a bona fide first line forward.

EDIT: Either that or you go after a pair of 40pt producers and run 3 lines.
Not disagreeing that Gaustad's contract is awful, but what good will it do at this point to dump him? We're not hurting for cash or cap space, unless ownership is lying to us.

Problem is availability. There are no first liners available. Of course when one does come available, we gotta jump all over it. Even if was have to overpay. This is where Poile will fail though. He refuses to overpay for a 1st liner, but has no issue overpaying for a 4th liner.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Not disagreeing that Gaustad's contract is awful, but what good will it do at this point to dump him? We're not hurting for cash or cap space, unless ownership is lying to us.

Problem is availability. There are no first liners available. Of course when one does come available, we gotta jump all over it. Even if was have to overpay. This is where Poile will fail though. He refuses to overpay for a 1st liner, but has no issue overpaying for a 4th liner.
I was referring more to Free Agency more than anything. Problem with Goose's contract is his years PLUS the amount. It's crazy. Getting rid of his contract allows us to spend money where we actually need it.

Also, anyone remember Gaustad when tootoo flattened Miller last year? Surprised we traded for him.

You do realize Gaustad is the 4th overall paid player and under contract till 15-16 with 3.25 hit every year right?

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 02-02-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
I was referring more to Free Agency more than anything. Problem with Goose's contract is his years PLUS the amount. It's crazy. Getting rid of his contract allows us to spend money where we actually need it.

Also, anyone remember Gaustad when tootoo flattened Miller last year? Surprised we traded for him.

You do realize Gaustad is the 4th overall paid player and under contract till 15-16 with 3.25 hit every year right?
As bad as that deal is, I bet we could get something for him and not have to waive him. I agree buying him out is a terrible idea at this point. Big 4th line Cs who can win draws still value some value, even if it's a 4th or something.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
As bad as that deal is, I bet we could get something for him and not have to waive him. I agree buying him out is a terrible idea at this point. Big 4th line Cs who can win draws still value some value, even if it's a 4th or something.
While I agree with you, what team is going to pick him up with the cap shrinking over the next few years? At $70M it isn't that big of a deal, but if we go down to $65 or even $62.5M, that makes a really big difference. Think about our own team. Gaustads contract should be going to Josi after his ELC expires and get him signed long term.

Not saying he have to waive him right now, just saying if I am a rival GM, I would never trade for Goose at his current contract value with the cap going down. Now someone may get desperate, but if Poile called me up and asked if I wanted him, I would probably laugh and hang up. If he has a very poor year, his value can only decrease from there.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
While I agree with you, what team is going to pick him up with the cap shrinking over the next few years? At $70M it isn't that big of a deal, but if we go down to $65 or even $62.5M, that makes a really big difference. Think about our own team. Gaustads contract should be going to Josi after his ELC expires and get him signed long term.

Not saying he have to waive him right now, just saying if I am a rival GM, I would never trade for Goose at his current contract value with the cap going down. Now someone may get desperate, but if Poile called me up and asked if I wanted him, I would probably laugh and hang up. If he has a very poor year, his value can only decrease from there.
A team lacking depth due to injuries that has tons of cap space (I'm looking at you Colorado) would be willing to give a pick or something. Downie is out, Landeskog is out, and ROR is holding out. They need someone on the PK to replace ROR anyways

Old
02-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
A team lacking depth due to injuries that has tons of cap space (I'm looking at you Colorado) would be willing to give a pick or something. Downie is out, Landeskog is out, and ROR is holding out. They need someone on the PK to replace ROR anyways
An interesting choice as an example, but let my propose a counter argument. Colorado doesn't have any big fish coming off the books next year, but need to make a very big trade/ signing on the blueline and needs to add size and skill to their forward group.

They have 47.9 (give or take) locked up next year not including ROR. Assuming they chase after a big fish on the blueline (which in my mind they will) and a couple of the UFA forwards, and assuming they aren't a cap team, Guastad's contract limits their flexibility to make the more important moves.

Another problem with the Avs is they have a ton of overpaid depth players already. I get what you are saying, I am sure someone will try to trade a pick for Gaustad. No doubt. I personally wouldn't.

I like the idea of the preds trading for MPS though. Could be a cheap addition and could have massive potential or massive disappointment. Kid needs a change of scenery with low expectations and the ability to get top six/powerplay minutes. Like here.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

We need to do something with Blum. I'm fine with trading him or playing him, but do SOMETHING.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

Again though, we're (supposedly) not hurting for cash or cap space.

If we miraculously sign a 1st liner during the off season, then yes, he should be the first to go. For some reason I doubt that happens though I'm just saying we're getting ahead of ourselves here. We'll worry about Gaustad's contract when we're getting tight on space (if ever).

Old
02-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Our pp Is ****

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Pp time... Again

Old
02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
NoNecksCurse

wrong thread lol

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NoNecksCurse

btw, trade fisher...

Old
I Will Son
An Army of One

Fisher is my most hated Pred this year...

Old
02-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Do you think that we could be shopping Blum?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:03 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Do you think that we could be shopping Blum?
highly doubt it..

Old
02-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

BS rumor started in the trade forum, but just for sits and giggles, what would you give for Ovechkin? Would he be a good fit or is he really on the decline?

Wilson/Smith
Blum/Ellis
1st
1st

Old
02-03-2013, 12:38 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
BS rumor started in the trade forum, but just for sits and giggles, what would you give for Ovechkin? Would he be a good fit or is he really on the decline?

Wilson/Smith
Blum/Ellis
1st
1st
Not sure he's the right one....great talent, great marketing, but seems like a Trotz nightmare. And a contract nightmare.

Worth an inquiry.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:39 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Not sure he's the right one....great talent, great marketing, but seems like a Trotz nightmare. And a contract nightmare.

Worth an inquiry.
I'd rather get Backstrom. Better two way player and would fit our system much better.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:

Wilson/Smith
Blum/Ellis
1st
1st
If it was Smith and Blum, absolutely.

Smith and Ellis, still good with a little bit of sting.

Wilson involved? You do it because it's Ovechkin, but that one hurts a lot. Maybe you change one of the firsts to a third if Wilson is included.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote