HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where would you rate the Habs in our divison

Old
07-02-2006, 11:58 AM
x-bob

vCash: 500
Where would you rate the Habs in our divison

After the recent signings.

Ottawa
Lost Pothier, Chara and Arnason (HAsek too)
Aquirred Gerber, Corvo

Toronto
Lost Belfour, Domi, Rask
Aquirred Gill, Raycroft, Kubina

Boston
Lost Raycroft
Aquirred Rask, CHara, Savard

Buffalo
Lost Mckee
Aquirred nobody

Montreal
Lost nobody
Aquirred nobody

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:00 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post

Montreal
Lost: Bulis, Sundstrom
Aquirred nobody
fixed

Old
07-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Pat

too early for ratings, you never know what the Habs will do. and besides, signing big names doesn't guaranty success. ex: NY Rangers

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

1st.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:03 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz View Post
fixed
They aren't lost yet....there is always that slim chance that we might see Sundstroms holly presence in a Habs uniforme!

Old
tmc

for now i see

1st-ottawa
2nd-buffalo
3rd-montreal
4th-boston
5th-toronto

Boston could top us depending on how the young players and goalies play

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz View Post
fixed

As far as I know we can still sign them.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:05 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
They aren't lost yet....there is always that slim chance that we might see Sundstroms holly presence in a Habs uniforme!
I thought he was going to Sweden?

Old
07-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Nihilism

How many more threads can be made on the same subject?

Nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Darz

I would say after yesterday's signings, the division has gotten a little closer (Ottawa falling back a bit, Boston climbing up a bit), but even without the signings I think any of the five teams in the division could potentially walk away with the division, and outside of maybe Ottawa, I could see all the teams struggle and miss the playoffs. Alot of factors that we can't really see yet are going to come into play. I mean at this point last year, Buffalo was a consensus number 5 in the division, so.....

My shot in the dark prediction, see's it as....

1. Ottawa. They could drop back with the losses they endured, but then again if certain players take their game up a level, they could actually be better, so.....

2. Montreal. I love the habs. All I see is good. I see no bad. We finish second in the division, and win the Cup!!!!!! OH YEAH!!! GO HABS GO!!!!!!!! Well if we can get similiar play from Huet next year, the defense can show just a little more consistancy (with an improved Komisarek), and the offense gets a little help (with a little more consisantcy from Ryder, and Higgns to stay the course, Koivu and Kovalev to remain healthy, and maybe a rookie or two to supplement), you never know what might happen.

3. Buffalo. They could take a step back, or they could take a step forward. Hartd to say.

4. Boston. Hard to think that the Savard/Chara signings aren't going to help, but there are still defiante question marks.

5. Toronto. Alot depends on what T.O. does between now and the beginning of the season. right now the 'd' doesn't look bad, and IF raycroft returns to his form of 2 years ago, and the offense doesn't take a step back.......

07-02-2006, 12:22 PM
mikeg

depending on huet... right where we were last year. batteling for the last playoff spot to the bitter end.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

BUFFALO (will buy the same system that Ruff implemented and will win the division, imagine if they succeed in signing some people......)
OTTAWA (will take a step back, but Gerber will help them more than you think)
MONTREAL (would need to do something but can hope for some rookies sensations to take charge if nothing's happen)
TORONTO (cannot miss the playoffs again and if they don't sign more, though I doubt they won't, they will address it before the deadline)
BOSTON (Chara and Savard are not enough, but they are an upcoming team, I do like their underrated defense, some could have a 2nd year slump though)

Last 3 teams will be so close, but that's nothing new.....We do have to make some moves.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:26 PM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I would say after yesterday's signings, the division has gotten a little closer (Ottawa falling back a bit, Boston climbing up a bit), but even without the signings I think any of the five teams in the division could potentially walk away with the division, and outside of maybe Ottawa, I could see all the teams struggle and miss the playoffs. Alot of factors that we can't really see yet are going to come into play. I mean at this point last year, Buffalo was a consensus number 5 in the division, so.....

My shot in the dark prediction, see's it as....

1. Ottawa. They could drop back with the losses they endured, but then again if certain players take their game up a level, they could actually be better, so.....

2. Montreal. I love the habs. All I see is good. I see no bad. We finish second in the division, and win the Cup!!!!!! OH YEAH!!! GO HABS GO!!!!!!!! Well if we can get similiar play from Huet next year, the defense can show just a little more consistancy (with an improved Komisarek), and the offense gets a little help (with a little more consisantcy from Ryder, and Higgns to stay the course, Koivu and Kovalev to remain healthy, and maybe a rookie or two to supplement), you never know what might happen.

3. Buffalo. They could take a step back, or they could take a step forward. Hartd to say.

4. Boston. Hard to think that the Savard/Chara signings aren't going to help, but there are still defiante question marks.

5. Toronto. Alot depends on what T.O. does between now and the beginning of the season. right now the 'd' doesn't look bad, and IF raycroft returns to his form of 2 years ago, and the offense doesn't take a step back.......
Montreal ahead of Buffalo. Funny.

davey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:27 PM
greatlakeshab

"Montreal
Lost: Bulis, Sundstrom
Aquirred nobody

fixed"

Lost nobody, fixed again

Bulis and Sundstrom are nobodies hehehe

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Hard to say really. Things can still change dramatically until day 1 of next season, but assuming they didn't, or only marginally...

I'd say Ottawa is still the team to beat, although without Chara they aren't as untouchable as they once were (at least in perception). Corvo will do nothing to change that. They are a solid offensive team with a few systemic holes due to their purely offensively minded top forwards and an overall lackadaisical style that means they can easily derail in a game where challenged early. Just like a Ferrari, they are a powerful but fragile machine, or so it seems to me anyway.

Toronto is still a suspect team to me. I don't like their constitution. It seems they don't have a clear cut blueprint, except maybe hope to win all their games on the PP, because that D is still bellow average defensively to me and with Raycroft between the pipes, it's even more of a huge question mark. Offense is only so-so 5-on-5. And that Gill signing is beyond ridiculous. All in all I'm not too worried about Toronto. I still see them dead last in the division (it'll be a strong division though, so it's still possible they make the playoffs as an 8th seeded team).

Boston really got better though. Bergeron and Boyes a year older, probably better, more consistant goaltending with Toivonen and Thomas, a huge all around presence on the blue line with Chara, and an overrated bit still upgraded center position with Savard and possibly Kessel, they are now a lot scarier. The key for them will be chemistry.

Buffalo I still feel they got to the top in a mystical yet abnormal kind of way, with everything clicking at the right time, a bit like Minny when they got far in the playoffs a few years ago. I feel Buffalo (especially without their defensive stalwart on the blue line) and Montreal are currently neck and neck, they will battle it out all year, being the most evenly matched in the division.

Montreal have some great youth ready to take over the reign of limited, inconsistant, one-dimensional and underperforming players such as Zednik, Bulis, Sundstrom and Bonk. Higgins and Plekanec should already be head and shoulder above any of those next year. That being said, it's a young and inexperienced team with a weak link down the middle in Ribeiro and a lack of a true goalscorer outside of Ryder, especially on the left wing.

So far for me the divisional picture looks a bit like this:

Ottawa

Buffalo
Montreal
Boston

Toronto

All 3 middle of the pack teams on even ground, battling it out all year long.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:57 PM
kostitsyn1489

I don't like the Bruins's move... Chara is a lot oveated... he's good but I don't think he will have a big impact like niedermayer or pronger had. Savard had a great season but with good player(Not more) and a second centrer's ice time he won't be a major factor I guess.

Ottawa Corvo is a great D and Gerber had a great season but have some problem at the end and in playoff. They need a choker to remplace Chara they got it!

Ottawa will not remain first.

Montreal-Buffalo
Ottawa
Boston(Barely in)
Toronto(Out of the playoff)

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:15 PM
FinnHab

I think we`ll be in playoffs, spot 7th or 8th in eastern conference. Its so many questionmarks around our beloved Habs in the next season. How is Koivus eye problem and do not forget that we have "rookie" coaches in the NHL-level behind the bench(again). We need 1-2 new solid performers to our roster.
(sorry my bad english..)

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:18 PM
SPARTAKUS*

1. OTTAWA(2007 Stanley Cup Champions)

2. BOSTON

3. BUFFALO

4. TORONTO

5. MONTREAL

SPARTAKUS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:20 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
I don't like the Bruins's move... Chara is a lot oveated... he's good but I don't think he will have a big impact like niedermayer or pronger had. Savard had a great season but with good player(Not more) and a second centrer's ice time he won't be a major factor I guess.

Ottawa Corvo is a great D and Gerber had a great season but have some problem at the end and in playoff. They need a choker to remplace Chara they got it!

Ottawa will not remain first.

Montreal-Buffalo
Ottawa
Boston(Barely in)
Toronto(Out of the playoff)
Ottawa improved. Gerber was sick in the playoffs. Corvo is steady. Mesnaros will develop. Chara is often a pylon.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
After the recent signings.

Ottawa
Lost Pothier, Chara and Arnason (HAsek too)
Aquirred Gerber, Corvo

Toronto
Lost Belfour, Domi, Rask
Aquirred Gill, Raycroft, Kubina

Boston
Lost Raycroft
Aquirred Rask, CHara, Savard

Buffalo
Lost Mckee
Aquirred nobody

Montreal
Lost nobody
Aquirred nobody

You know, people like you are really starting to peave me hell off. Ever since noon yesterday people have been whining like little b!tches cause we didn't land a marquee free agent. What is the point of this thread? How can anyone make a determination of where we stand in the division 1 day into free agency and when there are still 3 months left to go til the season starts? There are still RFAs to sign, trades to make, prospect evaluations to be done... BG may make a big move tomorrow and all you bandwagon jumpers will love him again and said you had faith in him the whole time. He's won a Stanley Cup as a GM, he knows what he is doing.

If it comes October and the only thing he's done is sign Ribeiro to a lucrative multi-year deal, then by all means, make your opinions known. But for the love of GOD, stop whining like little grade school b!tches cause the latest toy in the window is gone. Grow the hell up.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTSENS View Post

2. BOSTON

3. BUFFALO

4. TORONTO

5. MONTREAL

Besides the Stanley Cup champion part, you have it about right.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Ginoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
You know, people like you are really starting to peave me hell off. Ever since noon yesterday people have been whining like little b!tches cause we didn't land a marquee free agent. What is the point of this thread? How can anyone make a determination of where we stand in the division 1 day into free agency and when there are still 3 months left to go til the season starts? There are still RFAs to sign, trades to make, prospect evaluations to be done... BG may make a big move tomorrow and all you bandwagon jumpers will love him again and said you had faith in him the whole time. He's won a Stanley Cup as a GM, he knows what he is doing.

If it comes October and the only thing he's done is sign Ribeiro to a lucrative multi-year deal, then by all means, make your opinions known. But for the love of GOD, stop whining like little grade school b!tches cause the latest toy in the window is gone. Grow the hell up.
well said

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:35 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTSENS View Post

2. BOSTON

3. BUFFALO

4. TORONTO

5. MONTREAL
I think I've heard that before, oh right, 04-05-06-07... champions
keep dreamin

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:

You're my new hero for the day.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:44 PM
x-bob

Quote:

Wow very entertaining post right here. Try and find one place in my first post that shows any bashing towards Gaineys lack of movement or any whining what so ever. I'm serious, try and find it...........The reason you can't find any is because there isn't any whining. I was just curious to know what people thought about the moves that other teams did (ex: Chara and Savard to Boston) and how they affected the competitivness in our conference. I really don't understand your sudden anger towards me.

It's funny because I am on your side about Gainey's approche. I don't mind if Gainey doesn't sign any Top Notch UFA players. All I care about is that Gainey knows what he's doing. Now please.....there was no reason to get mad at me and I expect an apologie