HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arnott a Predator

Old
07-02-2006, 12:01 PM
aylib
User and abuser

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Arnott a Predator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170315&hubname=nhl

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:02 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Just saw that...nice sign

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

the 5 years surprises me more than the money, which I think he was going to get regardless. Likely, we were in a bidding war and the 5th year was what got the deal done.

I'm not a huge Arnott fan, but I think he was the class of the FA center market, and now we can use assets we might have used to trade for a center to get a big physical d-man.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:07 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
the 5 years surprises me more than the money, which I think he was going to get regardless. Likely, we were in a bidding war and the 5th year was what got the deal done.

I'm not a huge Arnott fan, but I think he was the class of the FA center market, and now we can use assets we might have used to trade for a center to get a big physical d-man.
Arnott excelled last year without hooking and holding, and I think he'll continue to do well. Him with Kariya? That'll work well for you guys.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
Arnott excelled last year without hooking and holding, and I think he'll continue to do well. Him with Kariya? That'll work well for you guys.
that is a good point my friend

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

One thing thats consistent with Arnott is his defensive play and his crashing the net. That is what we need in our system, he has a scoring touch and a big body.....this is a signing we had to make. He fits our team like a glove, and while he will be inconsistent scoring, hopefully his prescence gives our smaller wingers some room to work with.

Plus lets face it, this is the first legitimate 1-2 center combo we have had in years. We have loads of options in the top 9.

07-02-2006, 12:12 PM
X0ssbar

Congrats on getting your man Preds fans. I know you guys all were after a #1 center.

A day ago I would have been surprised w/ the length but after seeing what every other UFA has gotten, it seems to be what it takes for the high end guys.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:17 PM
punk_o_holic

Arnott is my fav player and I think you guys got yourself a great player. I think this is the best UFA signing so far. Fair price and have him long term. He's a big forward play the physical part of the game. He can score and put up points every year. Has a playoff experience and has a cup ring. He also puts up points in the playoffs. I'm jealous of you guys right now.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

This must be a very good day for Preds fans. Amount is very fair. Length is a little much, but you've finally got your top line center. Congrats.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Stars-Preds

I know I've been anti-Arnott in Nashville up to this point, but I want to look through the rosy-colored glasses until he proves otherwise.

Just from seeing Arnott last year in 50 or so home games in Dallas here's some observations:

- He's a very passionate player. I'll give you a specific example. Last year, the second game of the regular season for the Stars, Oct. 8th vs. Colorado, the Avs Ian Laperriere hit Arnott's linemate Brendan Morrow from behind knocking him to the ground. Arnott, on the very next shift, also got hit by Laperriere into the crease in the boards cutting Arnott's face. Arnott threw his gloves down, grabbed Laperriere and pounded his face in. The Stars actually lost the game on a PP goal by COL while Arnott was in the box but it was one of the plays that stuck in my mind about the Stars season last year because you could just tell the kind of passion Jason Arnott plays with.

- The man is huge. Jason Arnott is a monster of a man. He's just so much bigger than almost every other player in the league. He has a ridiculous slap shot and he constantly crashes the net.

- He's a two-way player. Arnott is responsible defensively and can play the power play or the penalty kill. I'm sure Trotz was happy about that.

- He's got championship experience winning a Cup with the New Jersey Devils in 2000, scoring the game-winning goal against his soon-to-be teammates of the Dallas Stars. It is always nice to pick up a player with skins on the wall and obviously Arnott has those.

- He's an unselfish player. Just looking at his stats you see he had 44 assists last season playing on a line without goal scorers - he played most of the season with Brendan Morrow and a combo of Bill Guerin (only 13 goals) and Stu Barnes (only 15 goals). Teaming him with Kariya could be a great one-two punch.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

just got the press release from the Preds.

Poile sounds amped.

Old
07-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Jarnberg

Sweet now we get to read about how much we overpaid and how it was a horrible signing from bitter fans. I mean why spend some money when you have Vernon Fiddler

Good signing for the Preds. We had a hole and Poile addressed this.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger View Post
Sweet now we get to read about how much we overpaid and how it was a horrible signing from bitter fans. I mean why spend some money when you have Vernon Fiddler

Good signing for the Preds. We had a hole and Poile addressed this.
I think he's the class of a weak FA crop, but I'd much rather have him than Savard and probably even Weight at this point. We have a big center who has done well when paired with good line mates. If he can open up the ice for Sullivan or Kariya, then it's all worth it.

Old
07-02-2006, 01:10 PM
PACaptain

As a secondary Preds fan, I think Arnott fits in well. Brings size, physical play, and experience to the top two lines. He was the top UFA center available and Poile signed him. Is Witt next?

PACaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACaptain View Post
As a secondary Preds fan, I think Arnott fits in well. Brings size, physical play, and experience to the top two lines. He was the top UFA center available and Poile signed him. Is Witt next?
I still have a feeling that we re-sign him, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. I think through trade or signing, we'll definitely add a physical d-man, though. I'd just hope for someone bigger.

Old
07-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Stuart McDonald

Quite frankly I think Arnott was in the perfect situation. He was the only quality centerman available and could bid his price through the roof. He's been playing in the NHL since he was 19 and he plays a rough game. He's a really old 32. Last season was his best BY FAR since 1993-94. He's pretty much a consistent 50 point center which would make him a number two in my book. He can probably produce decent numbers for two or three more years and then I would expect his numbers to drop precipitously. I think it was an awful signing and will hold this franchise back in a couple of years. Only if Nashville can produce in the short term will this be worth it.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:37 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by slava29 View Post
I think it was an awful signing and will hold this franchise back in a couple of years. Only if Nashville can produce in the short term will this be worth it.
Well, isn't that the point of a signing like this? Chalk this up as one of the most unnecessary lines of the year. Of course we signed him to produce in the short term. And of course it won't be a good signing if we can't, as a team, make some noise in the playoffs, and he doesn't contribute his share. That's like saying, "eating that hamburger was only a good idea if it fills you up." Well, no duh. That's the purpose of eating the burger to begin with, just like the purpose of signing Arnott is to win immediately!

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I think it was an awful signing and will hold this franchise back in a couple of years. Only if Nashville can produce in the short term will this be worth it.
How is it going to hold us back? Is Arnott better than Vernon Fiddler, Jerred Smithson, Scott Nichol or David Legwand? I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Predators, but we don't have what you would call depth in center. What if one of them goes down, who do we pull up? The Predators do not have many prospects in center.

One of Nashville's weaknesses is in the center of the ice, which was something you could see even when David Legwand was injured.

The Predators have plenty of room for this type of deal. Arnott is better quality than what the Predators had and brings some size along with a better skillset.

Old
07-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
One of Nashville's weaknesses is in the center of the ice, which was something you could see even when David Legwand was injured.

The Predators have plenty of room for this type of deal. Arnott is better quality than what the Predators had and brings some size along with a better skillset.
Even when Legwand was injured? I think it was more especially when Legwand was injured. I think this signing is a good one because it fits our needs and makes us a better team next season. Assets depreciate in value over the course of their life...that's a given. Will Arnott be the same at 36 or 37 as he is now at 32? I don't think so, but if we can maximize his contributions to the team over the next couple of seasons and continue to build (or begin to build) our depth at center ice, I believe that Arnott's role can be minimized later in the deal to offset any loss of talent due to his age.

Still need a defenseman, but I loved Poile resigning Mason and like the signing of Arnott a lot too. So far Nashville has done a good job addressing our needs. Two needs filled, one more to go.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Even when Legwand was injured? I think it was more especially when Legwand was injured.
Yep, thats what I meant to say, messed up while editing.

Old
07-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Stuart McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Well, isn't that the point of a signing like this? Chalk this up as one of the most unnecessary lines of the year. Of course we signed him to produce in the short term.
Umm....if you signed him to produce in the short term why did you give him five years? Other players signed this weekend will be able to contribute in the last years of their contract. Why is Arnott the exception?

Nashville has the deepest corps of young defencemen in the league and Vokoun turned 30 yesterday. This team will still be a contender three to five years from now. Why compromise the future for a half-hearted shot at the present. It's not like Nashville are only Arnott away from the Cup. If you're going to backend a contract do it for a player that will give you a real chance. He's not the guy.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Yep, thats what I meant to say, messed up while editing.
No problem, I knew what you meant...but wanted to emphasize the point.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Umm....if you signed him to produce in the short term why did you give him five years? Other players signed this weekend will be able to contribute in the last years of their contract. Why is Arnott the exception?

Nashville has the deepest corps of young defencemen in the league and Vokoun turned 30 yesterday. This team will still be a contender three to five years from now. Why compromise the future for a half-hearted shot at the present. It's not like Nashville are only Arnott away from the Cup. If you're going to backend a contract do it for a player that will give you a real chance. He's not the guy.
We compromised the future by signing an UFA? We probably are still in the top 5 in available cap room. We are fine. We still have loads of top notch talent in the system. What your saying is nonsensical in every way. I'm sorry that we refused to sign a guy that fills a glaring hole on our team. I mean, the Predators should never consider competing in the present, only in the far off future.....despite having the system to compete in the future, and the team to do it now.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:20 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:

See, this is why outsiders shouldn't get into arguments with local fanbases. They just don't know enough to present great arguments. Hitting your last paragraph first, we have three major players that are in the last year of their contracts- Timonen, Vokoun, and Kariya. And several others, such as Hartnell, Legwand, etc. that could easily join them on the UFA market. We have no idea if any of these guys will be with us after next year. The time to win is right now.

This deal is made for the present, not three years from now. That it was a 5 year deal is likely the reason why he's a Pred and not playing for another team. He made a deal that sacrificed a small part of the future to make us an immediately better team. If you followed the Preds, you'd notice that this has been public sentiment from the fanbase for a while now. We need to get better. Our future is loaded with top prospects, but our present is pretty damned bright too. We can afford to sacrifice the former to ensure we are a better team now.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:21 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

Who would have been a better option? We got the best center on the market. It was a weak market, yes, but we had to work with what we had, and we are a better team for it. We didn't have to lose any assets to get him, and now we HAVE assets to make a trade for a physical, big d-man(a need almost as glaring as our need for a big center). I like guys like Sillinger, McCauley, even Allison...but this was the guy that made the most sense for us and the way our team was built. Playing with Kariya and Erat got VERN FIDDLER some goals. I think Arnott will be in a position to succeed.