HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber & Suter: Like Peas and Carrots

Old
02-02-2013, 10:30 AM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
Weber & Suter: Like Peas and Carrots

I was watching the Wild last night lose to the Ducks. Selanne iced the game with a sweet across the slot pass to Bobby Ryan, who hammered it home. The victimized D-man was Ryan Suter. I find myself watching the Wild more just to watch Suter. He’s got 4 assists but mostly secondary, and he’s -6 on a -2 team. Last night’s mishap won’t show up in the box score cuz it was a power play. Bottom line, the MN Wild Suter is not the confident Nashville Predator Ryan Suter we’ve known for all these years. He looks confused.

Shea Weber is still the minutes eater and the Preds best defenseman by far. But Webs gained his legendary status not by being a responsible stay-at-home D-man. He puts pucks thru the back of nets. He’s in the Orr-Potvin mode of Offensive Defenseman: Difference-Makers. Other defenses scheme to stop him personally.

Thru 7 games, Weber has zero points. Zero. None. Now, he plays on a team that’s scored 12 goals in 7 games. Not exactly assist-heaven but we’re talking ZERO. He’s played with Josi for most of the games, and oddly enough, Roman has looked good. Last night he played with Hannon. Poor Webs, we won so Trotz will probably leave it that way tonite. Webs has to look over at Scott Hannon before the puck drops and think: “How did I get here?”

This all brings me to a dinner I was fortunate enough to have with Barry Trotz just before the beginning of last year. He was talking about resigning Weber and Suter. He said it would take the same money for both to keep both. That struck me as odd. Always looked at Webs as more valuable than Suts. Trotz said both would be in the HOF and they would go down as the greatest D-pair in NHL history if they stayed together. He also said they make each other better. He’s had discussions with them about their chemistry and how important it was for them to stay together.

In reflecting on that now, Trotz appears to be so right. I’m afraid neither of these guys will be as good as they were last year, ever again. I know 7 or 8 games is too short a time for conclusions, but two guys playing 27 minutes each, side-by-side, every game, with their talent, is rare. I think about the way Suter used to shovel the pass from his point to Webs for the one-timer on the PP. So far this year, I haven’t seen that pass to Webs yet where he didn’t have to adjust in some way.

This brings us to the sad reality that both Suts and Webs will suffer going forward without the other. Both the Wild and the Preds will not get their $100mm’s worth out of these guys. They will still be good, and the best D-men on their teams, but Barry knew how special it was with them together. Like peas and carrots.

Maybe Leotard will lament his outlays to Parise and Suts, and when he sees they’re still the Mild and not an elite team, he’ll look to unload Suter’s salary. Suter is worth more to us, given our investment in Weber, than any other team. I’d take him and his monster salary back in the New York Ranger Minute.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I think Suter:

A.) Thinks he's better than he really is at the end of the day
B.) Took Weber for granted
C.) Clearly didn't believe that they could be the best defensive pairing ever
D.) Didn't think he would ever win a Cup here

If Suter truly thought the way Trotz did then he would still be here. I don't care if he's from a short 4 freaking hours away from Minneapolis, which is still a long way, or if his wife was from there or his BFF Parise is from there or any of that nonsense. If he felt confident in us winning he would've come back.

I think he always had a chip on his shoulder because he wasn't "the guy". He's from an elite hockey family and he's isolated in a southern market where he won't be recognized like he wants. I think he was more worried about proving to himself that he can be just as good or better playing without Weber than continuing something special with him. I'd be willing to bet that Suter will never play with a better defensive partner in his career than Weber. Which, may not bother him that much.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Josi will make us all forget Suter by the end of the season. Weber's not scoring because the forwards aren't get the puck deep on the cycle and we're not establishing control in the offensive zone long enough to get Weber open for his shot. It will come, IMHO.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think Josi will make us all forget Suter by the end of the season. Weber's not scoring because the forwards aren't get the puck deep on the cycle and we're not establishing control in the offensive zone long enough to get Weber open for his shot. It will come, IMHO.
Josi brings alot to the table and may be my favorite Pred now, but time will tell. Heck he has not went thru the doghouse test yet. It was not that long ago that Suter was in the doghouse many times and had fans calling for his head. Josi has played 59 games now I think in Nashville and is 22 years old. His potential for for improvment is still there and hes pretty dang good now.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

vCash: 50
Suter har been horrible all season thus far for the Wild. I fear his contract will be an albatross around the Wild's neck. All the other teams that were vying for Suter to sign with them are probably thanking their lucky stars they didn't get him.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Legionnaire11

They didn't become the best in the league immediately after being paired together, it was an identity that really took the course of at least one whole season to become reality.

Likewise, it will take some time for them to form a new identity as separate players and also as a unit with their new partners.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
They didn't become the best in the league immediately after being paired together, it was an identity that really took the course of at least one whole season to become reality.

Likewise, it will take some time for them to form a new identity as separate players and also as a unit with their new partners.
Exactly the above. Couldn't have said it better. These guys need time to adjust. I do, however, agree, that neither of them will have a partner as good as their former one. Suter left not only for $$$ reasons but for family reasons and friends reasons. Do I think Suter envied Weber's fame? Absolutely. Do I think that had something to do with the way things went down? Absolutely.

The fact Parise could convince Suter to join him, yet Weber couldn't raises a whole different problem. Course, that is now in the past. Nothing can be done now.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:14 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
as much as Id love to see Suter suck ass forever with the Wild, lets be reasonable... he's been with the team for less than three weeks, after a 7 day training camp to get used to a totally new team.... I daresay Bobby Orr would have struggled in such circumstances, at least for a while.

I think by the end of the season he'll be more like his old self, and I hope Weber will be too.

with josi coming right along, i think in a couple of years we will look back and not necessarily be upset that we lost Suter, but it will be more frustrating that we didnt get Suter and Parise as a package, which, had it happened, would have cemented a spot in the "perennial contenders" category for the next 5 years at a minimum...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
as much as Id love to see Suter suck ass forever with the Wild, lets be reasonable... he's been with the team for less than three weeks, after a 7 day training camp to get used to a totally new team.... I daresay Bobby Orr would have struggled in such circumstances, at least for a while.

I think by the end of the season he'll be more like his old self, and I hope Weber will be too.

with josi coming right along, i think in a couple of years we will look back and not necessarily be upset that we lost Suter, but it will be more frustrating that we didnt get Suter and Parise as a package, which, had it happened, would have cemented a spot in the "perennial contenders" category for the next 5 years at a minimum...
I think if people really thought about it, it's not that they want Suter to suck forever and ever, it's just they want us to have more success than them. We want to win early and often without him and tell him to kiss it.

As long as the Wild aren't better than us I don't care. I personally want Suter to be a stud so he can be a Norris Trophy finalist one day and lose to Weber.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:35 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I think if people really thought about it, it's not that they want Suter to suck forever and ever, it's just they want us to have more success than them. We want to win early and often without him and tell him to kiss it.

As long as the Wild aren't better than us I don't care. I personally want Suter to be a stud so he can be a Norris Trophy finalist one day and lose to Weber.
I was a big fan and supported of Suter. I want him to suffer for the length of his contract. I hope that team does nothing for year. I hope he doesn't live up to his contract. He and Parise were in cahoots all along. I have no respect for him at all. If he wanted to leave, so be it but be upfront about it. I hope the contracts the two of them signed come back to bite Leipold in the butt. Ironic that it was a 13 year deal too. Coincidence? I think not, when signing a a deal with the dev, I mean Liarpold.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah, I was a Suter supporter but do totally lie to Poile like that was garbage, shows what little character he actually has. He's was a bit of a deva too.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:22 AM
MrMariusz

I'm glad they kept Weber and not Suter, he seems more passionate and reliable than Suter. And as others have said here, I think it is much more likely for Weber to adjust to Suter-less NSH than it is for Suter to adjust to his new environment in MIN.

Weber will be fine, it is still early season and the team is still heating up. In the end, not much has changed at NSH, defense hasn't been a worry in a long time, getting our goal tally up has been our main priority for years now.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:08 AM
wadesworld

I certainly liked Suter, but he didn't just go to another team. He worked a deal with Parise in the background, all while lying to the Preds.

I certainly don't wish him any injury, but I do hope the Wild are cellar-dwellars for the entirety of his contract (not saying it's likely, but would be nice).

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:49 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
I certainly liked Suter, but he didn't just go to another team. He worked a deal with Parise in the background, all while lying to the Preds.

I certainly don't wish him any injury, but I do hope the Wild are cellar-dwellars for the entirety of his contract (not saying it's likely, but would be nice).
I agree 100%.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:53 AM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
I'd be happy with the Wild finishing 1-3 spots out of the playoffs for the life of his contract... just close enough to hurt worse than getting a good pick out of tanking... with the Preds making the playoffs every year, of course.

#### Ryan Suter.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Yeah, I was a Suter supporter but do totally lie to Poile like that was garbage, shows what little character he actually has. He's was a bit of a deva too.
It's not like there weren't any signs that Suter wasn't going to resign. The big 'announcement' at the All Star game was a big wake-up call.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
JR303

While I share the same sentiment as most on here, I want Minnesota to be mired in post-seasonless mediocrity until Suter retires, I think that there is something important that should be mentioned.

While Suter himself is not an easy player to replace, his skillset is easier to replicate than Weber's and I think that will make the transition slightly less difficult for Weber in the long run.

It is tough to watch Weber ready for the one-timer and the pass be just the slightest bit off, but I think it will come soon. The young guys (Josi and Ellis) have really impressed me so far, especially Ellis. He's made a few mistakes, that's to be expected at his tenure, but combine that with the entire team trying to learn new assignments, and I think he's going to be fine.

All in all we got to see those 2 guys for a few years be one of the most dominant d pairings going, and even though it still pains me to think that someone we picked, grew, developed, taught and turned into a rich, rich man betrayed us (in most peoples' eyes), I think that Weber will come through this and be a Norris contender once again.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
It's not like there weren't any signs that Suter wasn't going to resign. The big 'announcement' at the All Star game was a big wake-up call.
He also was asking not to get traded during that time period and wanting to stay with the Predators. All indications were he was going to resign

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:07 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Not only do I want the Wild to languish at the bottom of the standings for the next 13 seasons at a minimum ... I want Suter to suffer from ED, have his wife run off with some 4th liner from a Cup winning team (my hope for Clune this summer) ... Parise to ask for, and receive, a trade away from Sutes .... leave him alone in Minny with only his BFF Liepold ... only to have Craig try sell the team because they've dropped so far that even the State of Hockey won't support them.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
He also was asking not to get traded during that time period and wanting to stay with the Predators. All indications were he was going to resign
He wanted to win while he had to be here, but then leave as soon as he could. He was committed to last year's team since we were good, just not the team in the future.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Not only do I want the Wild to languish at the bottom of the standings for the next 13 seasons at a minimum ... I want Suter to suffer from ED, have his wife run off with some 4th liner from a Cup winning team (my hope for Clune this summer) ... Parise to ask for, and receive, a trade away from Sutes .... leave him alone in Minny with only his BFF Liepold ... only to have Craig try sell the team because they've dropped so far that even the State of Hockey won't support them.
But at least you're not bitter.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:29 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Actually I'd love for us and the Wild to meet in the first round every year and to knock them out each time.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
He wanted to win while he had to be here, but then leave as soon as he could. He was committed to last year's team since we were good, just not the team in the future.
He had the chance to go to Philly or NYR and win there. Then he chose to play for Minny which has only one PO Appearance since the 05 lockout

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Dude, "suffer from ED"?? That's harsh. I love the "reasons" Ryan left both leaving him. I'd change it to his wife cheating on him with Parise, Ryan finds out, it becomes a team scandal, and they trade Parise. Suter's now ex-wife follows Zach to ........ Columbus. Don't have Leotard sell the team. Force Ryan to play the next 13 years in Liepold-Hell.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Dude, "suffer from ED"?? That's harsh. I love the "reasons" Ryan left both leaving him. I'd change it to his wife cheating on him with Parise, Ryan finds out, it becomes a team scandal, and they trade Parise. Suter's now ex-wife follows Zach to ........ Columbus. Don't have Leotard sell the team. Force Ryan to play the next 13 years in Liepold-Hell.
Clune on Suter's wife ... wearing a SCF patched Preds jersey ... then sending pictures to Ryan .... that would be hilarious.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote