HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Beat Devils 5-1 | We Need More Bort License Plates

Old
02-02-2013, 02:54 PM
nhindian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
I forgot about something...Remember that Volchenkov cross-check on Crosby?
you mean Elias?

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
BTW, Despres punched Lovejoy out of the lineup. Borts punched him out of town. I think, if you give him a few weeks, he'll also punch Engo out of the starting lineup when Nisky returns.
You might be right about Lovejoy but not holding my breath. As for Engo, I can't see that being the case this year. Engo is the Craig Adams of Defenders out there plus he's the only legitimate fighter on the team. Borts had a real nice game (I thought that wheel-and-pass to Kunitz was pretty damn impressive for a rookie in terms of awareness of what was going on behind him) but let's let him rack up a couple dozen of those nice games (and a couple nice fights) before we pencil Engo out of the lineup. He's a solid bottom pairing guy and fills a real need we have.

If anything I could see Borts making Niskanen into trade bait. A team like EDM might pay a pretty nice price for Nisky + Prospect / pick.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Agreed.
I have to see more but i think he's the best option we have if he can continue to impress.

Speedy, has some jam, and has the highest offensive IQ out of all the other options.

Not to mention signing him would make Sutter a happy man.
Some people remarked Boychuk is like Sully a little with the speed and smarts. Thing is, he's got more jam in his pinkie than Sully had in his body, and that's a must for complementing Geno and Neal.

I also liked how (a) he'd just always seem to be able to get Malkin the puck quickly without forcing it but (b) never played as if he was going out of his way to defer.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:56 PM

+ MAF and the defensive unit working together. The D didn't let up much and nake NAF go side to side all game.

+ Sid... So much better when he's got a little snarl to his game.

+ Boychuk... Active, a little grit in his gravy and made himself noticable.

+ Despres and Bortuzzo... Gotten better over time and they're really fitting in. Some of the shots at Disco are legit but this is how he works players that are proving something in.

- The Pens turned it on late but really need to spend more time in the offensive zone. They're not spending much time at the endboards anymore.

- Malkin... Not overly bad but he had some dopey give aways. I wanted to shoot him during that PP in the 3rd. The Pens played a pretty good :60 min game but he didn't.

- The PP has almost no poise or lure at all. The Pens made it easy for Marty to square up to the puck because they're only on one side of the ice or the other.

------- What else is new? The Consol crowd is as dead as a doornail.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I don't know that Letang needs to be off the PP, but he needs to not be the "QB"

The Pens sort of need his RHS on the PP. I'd prefer to just see 2 D on the PP, with Letang and ... uh, are we going with Elmer? on the point, and Neal, Sid, and Geno up front.

Boychuk was good, had a lot more grit than I expected based on what some Canes fans were saying. Happy Sutter got his first goal.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

The only - I'd give to is Kennedy. The last couple of games he's tried to make a retarded fancy play. And then had a couple of other bad turnovers that lead to breaks for the Devils.

This top 4 of:

Orpik - Martin
Despres - Letang

Is really working. I like it.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:57 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
you mean Elias?
I thought it was Volchenkov? Crosby hit him and Volchenkov knocked him down.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You might be right about Lovejoy but not holding my breath. As for Engo, I can't see that being the case this year. Engo is the Craig Adams of Defenders out there plus he's the only legitimate fighter on the team. Borts had a real nice game (I thought that wheel-and-pass to Kunitz was pretty damn impressive for a rookie in terms of awareness of what was going on behind him) but let's let him rack up a couple dozen of those and a couple nice fights before we pencil Engo out of the lineup. He's a solid bottom pairing guy and fills a real need we have.

If anything I could see Borts making Niskanen into trade bait. A team like EDM might pay a pretty nice price for Nisky + Prospect + pick.
Borts is going to get a half dozen before Nisky comes back, but, yeah, your right about Engo's destiny . . .

I'm not sure Borts makes Nisky into trade bait, though. I think Despres is doing that.

Old
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You might be right about Lovejoy but not holding my breath. As for Engo, I can't see that being the case this year. Engo is the Craig Adams of Defenders out there plus he's the only legitimate fighter on the team. Borts had a real nice game (I thought that wheel-and-pass to Kunitz was pretty damn impressive for a rookie in terms of awareness of what was going on behind him) but let's let him rack up a couple dozen of those nice games (and a couple nice fights) before we pencil Engo out of the lineup. He's a solid bottom pairing guy and fills a real need we have.

If anything I could see Borts making Niskanen into trade bait. A team like EDM might pay a pretty nice price for Nisky + Prospect / pick.
Hopefully for Gagner or PRV! Or the ever-illustrious Hemsky

Old
Alesle

+ Very little special teams play, so we didn't have to see our appalling PP.
- Our PP still blows.

That aside, I really liked the play and effort in the last 2 periods. Also good to see that Bortuzzo looked a lot better.

Alesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
I thought it was Volchenkov? Crosby hit him and Volchenkov knocked him down.
you mean when Sid was driving the net and got taken down, leading to a Pens PP? Or some other time?

Old
Jag68Sid87

I really like Bortuzzo's game. I hope he forces Bylsma to keep him in the lineup, even when Niskanen returns. I also really liked what I saw from Boychuk. One game does not an opinion make, but I see no reason why he shouldn't be on the Malkin line for the next 5 games or so. Give him the legit shot that you refuse to give others, Disco. He looks good.

It's funny. Just like last year, a sprinkling in of a couple of kids on the back end has really made things look much better back there.

Sid isn't going to look like this every night, not with his current linemates, but at least we know he still has it. I'll even give kudos to our spastic goalie. He looked good today, too.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Polaris Husky
The North Star

It's a short season, and Boychuk's playing for his career. If he can keep it up and make it through the season without looking out of place, do you still trade away Despres or Nisky, with the knowledge that Boychuk probably isn't a multi-year long term answer?

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
[/B]

Funny how after 1 bad game you wanted to fire everyone and trade half the team.
And after one good one you think all is well.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:59 PM
nhindian

Man, too bad we didn't scratch Kunitz for Dj

Old
02-02-2013, 03:00 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
you mean when Sid was driving the net and got taken down, leading to a Pens PP? Or some other time?
Another time that wasn't called.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

- the Devils forecheck was a very good test for the young blueliners and the kids held their own.

- I think people got a glimpse of why I love Bort. He was using his size and reach well today, and you saw the offensive aspect he can bring, with the pass up to Kunitz and the goal.

He got caught rubbing out the wrong guy which lead to a 2-1, but that was his only big mistake.

- Despres looked solid again. Despres is playing mean and I love it. Bort and Despres using their big bodies is such a beautiful thing to see. Both are making fwds pay for being around the net.

- Boychuk looked ok. I'm not sure where all of this praise for his game is coming from. He gets marks for being gritty and not doing anything stupid. Aside from that I wasn't overly impressed. We'll see how it goes.

- I noticed last game Vokoun rarely played the puck and it kept a sense of order and calm on the breakouts. MAF seemed to follow suit today. I'm not sure if MAF noticed this and tried the same thing or it was just a coincidence.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SEALBound

+'s

Bortuzzo: Doing exactly what he needs to be doing

Defense: Rest of the defense had a really good game. Orpik-Martin were quietly good today. Engelland is doing great. Letang is Letang.

MAF: Did well today though the defense really helped him out.

Boychuk: Great debut for the lil guy. Used the body, went to the corners, and you can see he has a hockey sense that could work well with Malkin or Crosby. The fact he wasn't in the way...already means he's a step above Tangradi.

Sid: Great game. When this wingers finally gave him an ounce of hope, he fired right up!

Malkin-Neal: Good overall game. Not great...but they did good.

Glass-Vitale-Adams: This 4th line f-in rocks!

Sutter: Nice 1st goal! Congrats!

='s

Kunitz: Just because he had 3 points doesn't mean he didn't play like **** for 75% of the game. Woke up towards the end which is what we need.

Cooke and TK: Very even game. Nothing great out of the them.

Dupuis: He needs to do better. Can't wait for a game when all three of them are clicking.

-'s

The power play: Horrid. Just horrible. Some of those NSFW Liveleak videos are easier to watch than this powerplay.

Excited about Boychuk! He looked pretty good out there for his first game. Excited to see more of him. Would love to get to something like:

Boychuk-Sid-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-TK
GVA

or

Boychuk-Sid-Dupuis
Jeffrey-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Sutter-Cooke
GVA

Boychuk in the top 6 would give us a few options...

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I really like Bortuzzo's game. I hope he forces Bylsma to keep him in the lineup, even when Niskanen returns. I also really liked what I saw from Boychuk. One game does not an opinion make, but I see no reason why he shouldn't be on the Malkin line for the next 5 games or so. Give him the legit shot that you refuse to give others, Disco. He looks good.

It's funny. Just like last year, a sprinkling in of a couple of kids on the back end has really made things look much better back there.

Sid isn't going to look like this every night, not with his current linemates, but at least we know he still has it. I'll even give kudos to our spastic goalie. He looked good today, too.
1. Agreed about Boychuk.
2. As I was just reminded, if Bylsma is forced to choose between scratching Borts and scratching Engo when Nisky returns, you know **** well who gets scratched (which is sad, because Engo has blown chunks pretty much all year).

Old
02-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Boocock

Personally, I like the idea of keeping Letang, Despres, Niskanen, Orpik, and Martin on the same team.

Boocock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Sorry

And to think of how many people wanted to crawl into a hole and die(Ahem, reference) after the Leafs/Jets games.

+Sid was all over the place today. He took it to another level, the team took it to another level, and dare I say, the fans took it to another level. Although they were still pretty tame for the most part.

+Bort is huge. Plays like a rock in his end. Reminds me of Michalek in some ways. Apparently, he reminded management of Michalek as well. I think his progress made Z easily replaceable in their minds and you can see why. The key is that he has been groomed for our system, and it works. Works well.

+Despres, with some confidence, is a fantastic player to watch. He tried to do too much at times but that can be corrected. His raw ability is very impressive.

Don't see how Lovejoy takes a spot over either of them at this point.

+Boychuk. Not so much what he brought in this game, but what you can see his addition brings to the team. Adds to our depth on the wings and gives us more options.

+Fleury. Didn't steal the show, but he didn't have to. He made the saves he needed to make to keep the momentum in the Pens favor.

I won't get into any real negatives since the team played well overall for the most part but Malkin and Neal annoy as me a fan at times. There's more than two players on the team when Crosby or Letang aren't on the ice with them but sometimes it doesn't seem like they understand that. They tried to work a little with Boychuk today, I guess that's encouraging. Sids steal went to Borts stick and he scored. I hope they saw that and realized there are other options out there sometimes.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Sotty

How did Dupuis get an assist on the Bortuzzo goal?

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'm not sure Borts makes Nisky into trade bait, though. I think Despres is doing that.
Well it's academic as to which one... I'm simply saying, given the good play of those two guys continuing, it's easier to replace Niskanen than Engo, mostly on account of the physical abuse / fighting factor. You need at least one guy like that, especially in the playoffs. Someone who can just knock the crap out of someone with a nice hit or handle someone taking liberties. Nisky can't do either of those things.

Quote:
Hopefully for Gagner or PRV! Or the ever-illustrious Hemsky
Not a big fan of Hemsky but you can't deny he'd be an upgrade over any winger Sid has had to date, just on account of his smarts / skill. And unlike a few years ago when people talked it, his price will not be lower than it is now (another reason I'd be OK with it). I think that's the most logical play if EDM is the team Shero targets and I think Niskanen+ would certainly be enough for them to consider it given how thin their D is. He'd slot into their Top 4 no problem, no offense to the mighty Giggle Drops.

I'd rather see a move made (and possibly a higher price paid) for someone like Clowe but SJ is on fire... they're not going to make a lot of moves this year if they keep it up, most likely.

Time to start the 2013 1st + Niskanen + Prospect for Perry chant.

OH and I almost forgot:

- Our PP still sucks.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

I said already, I apologize, don't scratch Kunitz... Bah.

Count me as a Boychuk fan too.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:07 PM
NastyNick

+ Devils had single digit shots after 2 periods, in addition to the 5 goals i think that gives you a good chance to win at home with Fleury in net.

+Boychuk - looked a little lost his first 2 shifts, but definitely got more comfortable as the game went on. Looked better than TK and Tangradi.

+Crosby - hes back

+Despres, Martin, Orpik, the D

+Kunitz - got a bit of a gimmie goal, also flubbed a few chances, but you can't argue with 1g-2a

-Letang - 3 consecutive turnovers on the PP prior to the shortie. I'm glad Martin got a look in the 3rd, i hope Letang gets phased out of this role, because he clearly isn't fitting in.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote