HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OK, I'm moving to Los Angeles

Old
02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Is Vancouver Island expensive like everyone makes it out to be ? or is that a myth ?

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:29 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Don't do it, simple as that

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:31 PM
damacles1156

You speak French ? Get your teaching credential, and some school in the Midwest/South might sponsor your move.

At least you get in to start establishing citizenship. Then down the road try and find a job in California.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
you'd need a job to get your visa situation sorted out, no?

I'd look into Nevada or Arizona, honestly, it's the same thing but better (since it's cheaper). Or Texas, everyone is moving to Texas.
While I do agree to look into these places as well I would be careful still. Just about anywher you go in the USA, things usually balance out in terms of the costs and what the pay is. Places that are more expensive to live in usually have the higher paying jobs while places like Phoenix and Las Vegas pay less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I have an American relative, my mom's cousion, he lives in Fontana, CA

Thank You. I just want a change and it seems like LA is where I need to be. I admit the Beverly Hills song by Weezer got to me
Take it from someone like me who used to live in CA and does frequently visit there for business and vacation, as much as I love CA, I would only live there again if I had no other choice in terms of just getting any job where I couldn't land one somewhere else.

CA is a place where to this day, many in the state have to travel as much as 2-3 hours of driving each way to and from any of the costal metro areas where the money is to be made to the houses way inland that are cheaper. Sadly with the way everything else keeps going up in price in CA, now many of those same people who are traveling such distances to make a living are barley making it. At the rate things are going, only the rich are going to be able to live nicely in CA in the future.

If you do decide to move in CA, I would look to stay with your moms cousin before anything else. Chances are you would be able to live there for next to nothing compared to anywhere else. Other than that, the next best thing to do to get the most bang for your buck is not rent out an apartment by yourself but rent out a room in a home or an apartment seeing its will be tough for one person to make it on their own.

Before moving to LA, we did talk about this before btw in the Lounge, I would consider moving to other areas in CA before LA for safety reasons. While it is true there is crime no matter where you go and there are plenty of places in CA that are worse than others, the LA Area is somewhere I would be very picky in terms of where to live. Malibu, Most of the South Bay, and more so Southern Orange County I would prefer the most to be in for my safety but still. I would look to living in either down in San Diego or the Bay Area before LA, IMO. Both areas have their bad spots as well but I can find more places there to be safe in and at a more affordable cost in terms of renting out a room. Also, even though the Bay Area is thw most expensive to live in California, the pay there is usually the highest.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
New Zealand would be, but the others won't. It's virtually impossible to move to the UK without a British spouse due to EU laws and Australia has some very restrictive immigration laws. Commonwealth citizenship doesn't count for much anymore, though it would if you were moving to the Caribbean
Permanently, yes, but every commonwealth country has a "working holiday" visa program which will let you stay for ~ a year.

UK
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...obilityscheme/

Aus
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work.../417/index.htm

etc

I didn't say easy, by the way, I said easier. Getting into the US is damn near impossible without a job or school connection. The US does not have working holiday visas or really any other forgiving programs of that kind that I can think of.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
While I do agree to look into these places as well I would be careful still. Just about anywher you go in the USA, things usually balance out in terms of the costs and what the pay is. Places that are more expensive to live in usually have the higher paying jobs while places like Phoenix and Las Vegas pay less.

Take it from someone like me who used to live in CA and does frequently visit there for business and vacation, as much as I love CA, I would only live there again if I had no other choice in terms of just getting any job where I couldn't land one somewhere else.

CA is a place where to this day, many in the state have to travel as much as 2-3 hours of driving each way to and from any of the costal metro areas where the money is to be made to the houses way inland that are cheaper. Sadly with the way everything else keeps going up in price in CA, now many of those same people who are traveling such distances to make a living are barley making it. At the rate things are going, only the rich are going to be able to live nicely in CA in the future.

If you do decide to move in CA, I would look to stay with your moms cousin before anything else. Chances are you would be able to live there for next to nothing compared to anywhere else. Other than that, the next best thing to do to get the most bang for your buck is not rent out an apartment by yourself but rent out a room in a home or an apartment seeing its will be tough for one person to make it on their own.

Before moving to LA, we did talk about this before btw in the Lounge, I would consider moving to other areas in CA before LA for safety reasons. While it is true there is crime no matter where you go and there are plenty of places in CA that are worse than others, the LA Area is somewhere I would be very picky in terms of where to live. Malibu, Most of the South Bay, and more so Southern Orange County I would prefer the most to be in for my safety but still. I would look to living in either down in San Diego or the Bay Area before LA, IMO. Both areas have their bad spots as well but I can find more places there to be safe in and at a more affordable cost in terms of renting out a room. Also, even though the Bay Area is thw most expensive to live in California, the pay there is usually the highest.
Boo!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Permanently, yes, but every commonwealth country has a "working holiday" visa program which will let you stay for ~ a year.

UK
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...obilityscheme/
Oh, they expanded that program again! It had been cut down some time ago (when they ditched the program that allowed Americans to spend a year apprenticing in various fields) to just Australia and the Asian countries. That's good to hear.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I have an American relative, my mom's cousion, he lives in Fontana, CA

Thank You. I just want a change and it seems like LA is where I need to be. I admit the Beverly Hills song by Weezer got to me
Fontana and Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach area are practically the same thing.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

02-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

We did, but the idea peaked again for some reason. Definitely taking this into account!

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
very funny. I know Fontana is third largest city in the "inland empire."

Last edited by Melrose Munch: 02-02-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 01:43 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
LOL....

Man that is funny.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Fontana is gross and I don't care who I offend by saying that, it's the truth. If you move here don't move to the Inland Empire.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Monarchist

Consider Australia as a place with low taxes/costs to save money in while working.

CA is the opposite for now: a place to burn through your savings while un(der)employed.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:50 PM
damacles1156

The guy that handed me my Coffee this morning, Masters in Psychology(probably a six figure education, didn't ask) .

Graduated in the top 1 % of his class.

Starbucks Assistant Manager.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
The guy that handed me my Coffee this morning, Masters in Psychology(probably a six figure education, didn't ask) .

Graduated in the top 1 % of his class.

Starbucks Assistant Manager.
wow....brutal...

Old
02-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
you'd need a job to get your visa situation sorted out, no?

I'd look into Nevada or Arizona, honestly, it's the same thing but better (since it's cheaper). Or Texas, everyone is moving to Texas.
No, CA is not the same.

-------------------------

There are a lot of negative nellies around here but there are also some obvious concerns. You need to get the immigration thing solved first and I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. Next, finding a job will be a challenge for anything that pays decent. I have a friend who does customer service at a car dealer and lives two blocks from the water in Long Beach. So, it can be done. But you need to figure out what your career path is and start working towards that first. As far as traffic is concerned, a lot of people have simply made choices to live in areas that aren't near their jobs because they either don't like the area where they work, can't afford to own/rent in those areas or want to be shielded from city life. It is all about what floats your boat. I know people that are willing to drive from Fontana area to DTLA because they can afford a home there. I think they are bat **** crazy. I personally see no value in owning a home. I like the freedom and lack of responsibility in renting.

The bottom line is anyone can go anywhere. You just need a game plan. In terms of costs, you're gonna need about $500 rent to find a room to share in a 2+ bedroom apt or house then add in food and traveling expenses. Everyone knows getting a job is about who know. I'd hit up your relative to see if he can find you ANY kind of work and go from there.

As far as career advice goes, don't spend too much on your education. Go to community college and get a degree in business or some sort of tangible skill or trade. I know a guy who is over six figures in debt from going to law school and he just finally found a job after looking for two years. He is going to be paying that off the rest of his life. I have no college education and no debt and make more money than a lot of my pledge educated friends. It has put some limitations on my career but I'm happy to not be saddled with a mountain of debt like some of my friends.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 02-02-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:01 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

It'd be rough for sure. California's economy is stagnant at best, but the cost of living hasn't come down at all.

I heard Irvine kinda the hub right now as far as what little growth there is is concerned. I know a lot of people moving down there.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
No, CA is not the same.
If your interest in California is primarily weather related but the economy and cost of living are scaring you off, those are the most logical alternatives.

but yeah, go to Australia. That sounds rad.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:11 PM
damacles1156

Josh already outlined the reality of trying to come to the U.S. Legally

It's damn near impossible unless; You have established a career of which is in high demand in the State's (that Americans can not fulfill).

Or you are coming in as a Student.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
If your interest in California is primarily weather related but the economy and cost of living are scaring you off, those are the most logical alternatives.

but yeah, go to Australia. That sounds rad.
So they are warm is what you are saying? In my opinion AZ and NV are intolerably hot. I would never live in either place personally. To me CA is about beaches and the lifestyle and the other southwest cities lack both of those. If you like old people, golf courses, cookie cutter tract homes and communities, by all means but I don't think either are like CA other than the fact they don't freeze in the winter.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

If you're gonna come, come illegally.

You'll get everything handed to you for free.

FanSince2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
SFKingshomer

I think you should move somewhere else because California isn't what it once was. It sucks because I lived there for 23 years and loved it but there's no way I'd move back with how bad it is.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:01 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
I think you should move somewhere else because California isn't what it once was. It sucks because I lived there for 23 years and loved it but there's no way I'd move back with how bad it is.
Yeah back in the day, the streets were paved with gold, there were rivers of chocolate milk and virgins willing to give themselves to you at your will.

I've lived here all my life and it really hasn't changed that much.

Maybe something else has changed.

FanSince2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

I love living here, I just think that it's difficult for a transplant with no career, no experience living here to adjust to life here (especially when they said their family is in the IE). Basically impossible.

If I was moving out of country Australia would definitely be of consideration. I like that idea.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote