HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Can it be turned around?

Old
02-02-2013, 10:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Who was the coach?
I hear he works for the organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Getting MacKinnon or Barkov wouldn't be the end of the world.
Yeah, as much as we need a defenseman...a scoring forward wouldn't be terrible.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Primary Assist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Who was the coach?
A stiff who was fired 2 years later, was not offered another head coaching job for another decade, subsequent to his firing from THAT job, his REPLACEMENT won a Stanley Cup. Great coach, that wascally Terry Murray.

Primary Assist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:51 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
A stiff who was fired 2 years later, was not offered another head coaching job for another decade, subsequent to his firing from THAT job, his REPLACEMENT won a Stanley Cup. Great coach, that wascally Terry Murray.
I knew who the coach was....

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:57 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
Terry "that wascally" Murray.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:50 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I mentioned that on another board and one of the posters there said the following:

1) Claude Giroux is not Eric Lindros
2) There is no John LeClair on this club
3) There is no Eric Desjardins on this club

I still think that the club can turn it around, but like that team in 1995, they'll need to do something to shake the club up. Is it firing Laviolette? I don't know if that's the answer. Is it trading someone like Voracek or Simmonds? I don't know if that's the answer either, especially when Simmonds has been one of the better players on the ice and Voracek has been really terrible since the season has started (I think him not being named to start on the Hartnell / Giroux line to start the year really affected him).

I agree though that it's very early and it's very possible to turn it around. The defense group hasn't been that bad and the goaltending has been really solid (minus the MFL debacle against Tampa Bay). If the offense can ever get going, they'll be fine.

We had one, IMO, but we traded him for a mediocre defensemen because we were too impatient for him to develop.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Prongo
Beer

JVR is not comparable to Johnny Vermont. Two completely different players. JVR will never be a battler like Leclair was. Never.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
We had one, IMO, but we traded him for a mediocre defensemen because we were too impatient for him to develop.
And something about not being "tough enough."

Old
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
I can't see that. Being an American winger doesn't make him LeClair.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:59 PM
MountainHawk

JVR through 235 games (first 3 seasons): 58G, 56A

JL through 253 games (first 3 full seasons, plus cup of tea): 55G, 71A

Not really that difference. Made the same mistake the Habs did when they moved JL ... too impatient for a young FWD to develop.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Just wondering, which big name defensemen this coming off-season would you like to sign to big money?

That's why they started getting in the RFA market. The good ones don't hit the UFA market. That's why you don't let them leave.
I don't think there is one this off-season, and as you said, they all seem to sign with their own clubs now.

But having the money available should help us if someone comes available for trade. Sadly, instead of us being able to get someone at the trade deadline from an underachieving team, we are the ones who are underachieving.

We need to be sellers at the trade deadline should this continue.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:03 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I don't think there is one this off-season, and as you said, they all seem to sign with their own clubs now.

But having the money available should help us if someone comes available for trade. Sadly, instead of us being able to get someone at the trade deadline from an underachieving team, we are the ones who are underachieving.

We need to be sellers at the trade deadline should this continue.
Who are we selling? Our team is either underachievers or too young to be moving right now. Unless you are going to move Giroux or Couterier, exactly who on this team bring a significant return?

Old
02-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
JVR through 235 games (first 3 seasons): 58G, 56A

JL through 253 games (first 3 full seasons, plus cup of tea): 55G, 71A

Not really that difference. Made the same mistake the Habs did when they moved JL ... too impatient for a young FWD to develop.
Flyers (and their fans) are too impatient for anyone to develop. Name a player on our roster that we developed and that has been on the team longer than 3 consecutive years? I think Giroux is the only one, and he never had any significant slump to warrant the fans and administration wanting him gone.

I would bet there is no other team in the league that has only one player on their roster that they developed.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Who are we selling? Our team is either underachievers or too young to be moving right now. Unless you are going to move Giroux or Couterier, exactly who on this team bring a significant return?
Kimmo. This is who I have in mind. If he would waive his no trade clause, he'd probably get us a first rounder from a contender. I am sure someone like San Jose could use him, and their first rounder would be like 29th overall, so I can see them doing it.

We might be able to trade Knuble - veteran leadership could get us something, but nothing too great.

I don't want to trade Briere, even if he would waive his clause, and I don't want to trade Mesz.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:08 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Flyers (and their fans) are too impatient for anyone to develop. Name a player on our roster that we developed and that has been on the team longer than 3 consecutive years? I think Giroux is the only one, and he never had any significant slump to warrant the fans and administration wanting him gone.

I would bet there is no other team in the league that has only one player on their roster that they developed.
"Flyers hockey" is a great way to be a good-to-great team almost every year, but never good enough to win the Cup unless they get a miracle run like the Kings did.

Right now, this team is probably 4th-5th best in the division, and 8-12th best in the conference, and it will not get better until they clean out the front office of "Flyers" guys, and bring in fresh faces and ideas.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Flyers also are not patient in regards to AHL play. If you need more than 100 games with the Phantoms, you're a lost cause. Also don't forget that there are Flyers fans who are voting age have never seen a defenseman develop and remain with the team long-term.

Old
MountainHawk

Quote:
Kimmo. This is who I have in mind. If he would waive his no trade clause, he'd probably get us a first rounder from a contender. I am sure someone like San Jose could use him, and their first rounder would be like 29th overall, so I can see them doing it.

We might be able to trade Knuble - veteran leadership could get us something, but nothing too great.

I don't want to trade Briere, even if he would waive his clause, and I don't want to trade Mesz.
I only see Kimo waiving his NTC if this is it for him (which it may be).

Old
02-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Broad st phantom

I think they can turn it around, but there something odd going on it seems. They have the physical skills to be a top team we all know that, but mentally their not all there for one reason or another. I imagine if they continue down this road something will happen via trade to shake things up, hopefully it's not drastic. Obviously right now they suck, but I can't see them continuing down this road, they need to wake up and fix whatever is causing this.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The Flyers also are not patient in regards to AHL play. If you need more than 100 games with the Phantoms, you're a lost cause. Also don't forget that there are Flyers fans who are voting age have never seen a defenseman develop and remain with the team long-term.
I think the only 2 defensemen that the Flyers have developed that most people would consider half-way decent are Joe Watson and Chris Therien. The great defense of the 80s was anchored by Marsh, McCrimmon, Crossman, and Howe, all obtained via trade.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
"Flyers hockey" is a great way to be a good-to-great team almost every year, but never good enough to win the Cup unless they get a miracle run like the Kings did.

Right now, this team is probably 4th-5th best in the division, and 8-12th best in the conference, and it will not get better until they clean out the front office of "Flyers" guys, and bring in fresh faces and ideas.
I think there is merit to this. Maybe the front office is like Andy Reid. Good enough to produce good teams but just not good enough to get over the top.

But I like this front office in that at least I know they will try to win on a consistent basis. I wouldn't mind seeing a slow rebuild, but it would still be painful because the nucleus appears so bright.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:28 PM
MountainHawk

Tertyshny would have been the third IMO but for the tragedy.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Rolex

Is the decline of cap space for the '13-14 season going to be a help? Some teams may have to make deals in order to get cap space. The Flyers don't have to do that. They will have cap space to add salary.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Quote:

San Jose has like 8 dmen.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Tertyshny would have been the third IMO but for the tragedy.
Technically. He never played with the Phantoms though.

Blast from the past though. I quickly became a fan of him.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Gert B Frobe

Yes the Flyers can definitely turn it around this season because:

1. They aren't very healthy right now and are playing without confidence - which I think can only improve. Theyr'e throwing pucks at skates so much lately and it seems like they're a bit slow shaking the rust off as far as fundamentals go. This should improve and I think it will

2. They have a really, really good goalie. It's actually funny to read comments on the main board from other fans blaming Bryzgalov and stating he is the reason this team cannot contend for the cup - clearly they have not been watching Flyers games lately. I think Bryz has been extremely good.

Can they? Sure. Will they? I think somewhere between probably and maybe.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote