HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 8 | Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D (HD) ‎

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2013, 02:13 PM
  #26
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Great GDT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
A win is a win. A win is 2 points. I don't give 2 rats behinds how they won it. They beat a good team. I'm getting fed up with this BS. At this point, the Wings could win the Stanley Cup, and you all will find ways to rationalize how it wasn't an accomplishment.
At this point we could be out early in the first round again and have you argue that we were real contenders. Which do you think is more likely?


Last edited by CloneHakanPlease*: 02-02-2013 at 02:36 PM.
CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:22 PM
  #27
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Great GDT.



At this point we could be out early in the first round again and have you argue that we were real contenders
And then I'll point out how playoffs are never a good measure of "being a contender," and promptly point to the Kings and the Ducks of the world and how they eliminate these so called "contenders."

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:24 PM
  #28
Nyquist
Registered User
 
Nyquist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
A win is a win. A win is 2 points. I don't give 2 rats behinds how they won it. They beat a good team. I'm getting fed up with this BS. At this point, the Wings could win the Stanley Cup, and you all will find ways to rationalize how it wasn't an accomplishment.
This is why I don't post that much in the Wings forum. I'm not sure if some people are Wings fans or fans of criticizing everything about the Wings.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:27 PM
  #29
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
This is why I don't post that much in the Wings forum. I'm not sure if some people are Wings fans or fans of criticizing everything about the Wings.
I'm a masochist with too much apathy to frustration. I just inflict suffering on myself trying to argue with people here.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:30 PM
  #30
DRWCountryClub
Registered User
 
DRWCountryClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I'm a masochist with too much apathy to frustration. I just inflict suffering on myself trying to argue with people here.
As frustrating as Captain Bob could be, at least he made good points and backed up his arguments well.

You're persistent, I'll give you that.

This team could really use two more skilled guys playing 10-15 minutes a night. Sadly, they're still sitting in the minors. Oh well.

4-1 Wings win too much to hope for?

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:36 PM
  #31
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
And then I'll point out how playoffs are never a good measure of "being a contender," and promptly point to the Kings and the Ducks of the world and how they eliminate these so called "contenders."
Both those teams underachieved all year and were able to make deadline deals. Both also were filled with youth and had a good defense core capable of playing playoff style hockey. Neither of these situations fit the Wings. There is a big difference in being a team people were shocked to finished 8th, and being one that people expected to finish 8th.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:36 PM
  #32
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
As frustrating as Captain Bob could be, at least he made good points and backed up his arguments well.
Captain Bob often resorts to childish name calling and unfounded claims. Hardly great backup to his arguments. Apparently appealing to history isn't backing up an argument. That's incredibly arbitrary, I must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Both those teams underachieved all year and were able to make deadline deals. Both also were filled with youth and had a good defense core capable of playing playoff style hockey. Neither of these situations fit the Wings.
Underachieved? Is that how you're rationalizing it? The Kings achieved the same way they're achieving this year. The Ducks were an incredibly shallow team in '09. Sure they had a ridiculous defense, but Andrew Ebbett was their second line center.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:39 PM
  #33
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
delete please.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:43 PM
  #34
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Captain Bob often resorts to childish name calling and unfounded claims. Hardly great backup to his arguments. Apparently appealing to history isn't backing up an argument. That's incredibly arbitrary, I must say.



Underachieved? Is that how you're rationalizing it? The Kings achieved the same way they're achieving this year. The Ducks were an incredibly shallow team in '09. Sure they had a ridiculous defense, but Andrew Ebbett was their second line center.
You were referring to Anaheim in 2009? I thought you were referring to the 04 ducks since that one actually made a case for your point instead of losing in the 2nd round. Either way, neither are remotely close to how the Wings are currently built

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:43 PM
  #35
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,478
vCash: 500
You're appealing to outliers more than history.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
  #36
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
You're appealing to outliers more than history.
Oh really? I am?

2006: Every bottom seeded team in the West wins in the first round.
2007: Rangers sweep Thrashers
2008: Top Seeded Montreal Embarrased by 6th seed Philadelphia in second round
2009: Ducks upend Presidents Trophy winning Sharks in 6 games; 6th Seeded Carolina Hurricanes upend both 3rd seeded Devils and top seeded Bruins.

2010: Philadephia embarrasses 2nd seeded New Jersey in 5 games; Montreal upsets the President's trophy winning Capitals and then the Stanley Cup champion Penguins; Bruins upend the Sabres in 6 games.

2011: Lightning sweep the top seeded Capitals in the second round.
2012: Los Angeles Kings plow through the top three seeds in the west; Washington Capitals upset the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins; New Jersey upsets the Panthers in seven games, Flyers in five games, and Rangers in six games.

These are all hardly outliers. They are common occurrences in the playoffs since the last year-round lockout. If you want to say playoff success is a measure of "contender-ness" then there are a couple of darn good teams you have to put on your "non-contender" list.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:02 PM
  #37
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 11,552
vCash: 500
If anyone is willing to make banners for my GDT's please PM me. Shoalzie usually does them, but he hasn't replied lately and my photoshop skills are at an amateur level. I just need some nice banners with the same size as the ones I currently use.

If Shoalzie is still around and is willing to do them, then that's fine, but I'd like to have a backup.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:16 PM
  #38
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
easy win

Det 5 - 1 CBJ

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM
  #39
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Oh really? I am?

2006: Every bottom seeded team in the West wins in the first round.
2007: Rangers sweep Thrashers
2008: Top Seeded Montreal Embarrased by 6th seed Philadelphia in second round
2009: Ducks upend Presidents Trophy winning Sharks in 6 games; 6th Seeded Carolina Hurricanes upend both 3rd seeded Devils and top seeded Bruins.

2010: Philadephia embarrasses 2nd seeded New Jersey in 5 games; Montreal upsets the President's trophy winning Capitals and then the Stanley Cup champion Penguins; Bruins upend the Sabres in 6 games.

2011: Lightning sweep the top seeded Capitals in the second round.
2012: Los Angeles Kings plow through the top three seeds in the west; Washington Capitals upset the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins; New Jersey upsets the Panthers in seven games, Flyers in five games, and Rangers in six games.

These are all hardly outliers. They are common occurrences in the playoffs since the last year-round lockout. If you want to say playoff success is a measure of "contender-ness" then there are a couple of darn good teams you have to put on your "non-contender" list.
I thought we were talking about winning the Cup, not first-round upsets.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:32 PM
  #40
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I thought we were talking about winning the Cup, not first-round upsets.
...

We're talking about playoff success being a measure of "contender-ness." And I listed numerous upsets of teams we would consider contenders.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:35 PM
  #41
Nyquist
Registered User
 
Nyquist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
...

We're talking about playoff success being a measure of "contender-ness." And I listed numerous upsets of teams we would consider contenders.
Those don't count. Everybody knows that the higher seed wins

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:58 PM
  #42
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,545
vCash: 500
Are we really arguing about what a contender is in the GDT?


The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  #43
DatsyukianDekes
Registered User
 
DatsyukianDekes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Tonight is Dan Cleary's 500th game as a Wing. It should be his last.
Ouch...He's just getting ripe according to Ken

DatsyukianDekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:08 PM
  #44
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
...

We're talking about playoff success being a measure of "contender-ness." And I listed numerous upsets of teams we would consider contenders.
You brought up the Kings Cup win. I said that they, as the only sixth-seed or lower to win the Cup, are an outlier.

That's what I was talking about.

"We" are not not talking about whatever you think "we" are.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:10 PM
  #45
aar000n
Registered User
 
aar000n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Oh really? I am?

2006: Every bottom seeded team in the West wins in the first round.
2007: Rangers sweep Thrashers
2008: Top Seeded Montreal Embarrased by 6th seed Philadelphia in second round
2009: Ducks upend Presidents Trophy winning Sharks in 6 games; 6th Seeded Carolina Hurricanes upend both 3rd seeded Devils and top seeded Bruins.

2010: Philadephia embarrasses 2nd seeded New Jersey in 5 games; Montreal upsets the President's trophy winning Capitals and then the Stanley Cup champion Penguins; Bruins upend the Sabres in 6 games.

2011: Lightning sweep the top seeded Capitals in the second round.
2012: Los Angeles Kings plow through the top three seeds in the west; Washington Capitals upset the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins; New Jersey upsets the Panthers in seven games, Flyers in five games, and Rangers in six games.

These are all hardly outliers. They are common occurrences in the playoffs since the last year-round lockout. If you want to say playoff success is a measure of "contender-ness" then there are a couple of darn good teams you have to put on your "non-contender" list.
I know what you mean you would think we were columbus the way people talk about the roster. Remeber when chelious was the whipping boy?

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:11 PM
  #46
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
You brought up the Kings Cup win. I said that they, as the only sixth-seed or lower to win the Cup, are an outlier.

That's what I was talking about.

"We" are not not talking about whatever you think "we" are.
Strawman argument. I did not bring up the Kings cup win. I brought up the fact they upset a team people people thought were contenders (The Canucks), and thus the Canucks could not be considered contenders because of that. That is what "We" are arguing. It is completely different from what "You" are trying to hijack the argument into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar000n View Post
I know what you mean you would think we were columbus the way people talk about the roster. Remeber when chelious was the whipping boy?
Unfortunately, my following of the sport does not go that far back. I have done countless research and video research into the history of the game, and that is where I get my understanding from. Fortunately, I'm a very fast learner.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:15 PM
  #47
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,136
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Unfortunately, my following of the sport does not go that far back. I have done countless research and video research into the history of the game, and that is where I get my understanding from. Fortunately, I'm a very fast learner.
Makes more sense now. I think it was one of those "you had to be there" things.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:18 PM
  #48
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
...

We're talking about playoff success being a measure of "contender-ness." And I listed numerous upsets of teams we would consider contenders.
And how many teams on that list were as old as we were, almost completely reliant on two players, and treading downward? I see a total of zero.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:19 PM
  #49
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Fortunately, I'm a very fast learner.
You must have skipped the chapter about Calgary from 2006-2012

Tell you what. PM me your paypal information and if the Wings make it past the 2nd round this year barring a major trade or situation (i.e. we get Chicago and Kane/Toews gets in a fatal car accident) I'll send you a 100 bucks and will never post here again. You won't have to give me anything when I'm right. I am being 100% serious.


Last edited by CloneHakanPlease*: 02-02-2013 at 04:28 PM.
CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:25 PM
  #50
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,067
vCash: 500
Damn this GDT has taken awesome turn

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.