HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Old
02-02-2013, 02:39 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Wouldn't it be something for Schroeder to eventually develop the face-offs (he's had games where's he's finished above 60%) and play on the PK? He becomes much more valuable at that point.

I kind of hope they eventually add this to Kassian's game as well. Similar to what Perry and Getzlaf do in ANA. That kind of versatility would be exceptional to have in a player.
you could say that about every player on the team in some way...

wouldn't it be great if (Henrik, Daniel, Booth, Kassian) could play on the PK... they'd all be more valuable..

wouldn't it be great if (Raymond, Booth, Higgins, Kesler, Lapierre, Hansen) had better vision and could use their linemates better? they'd all be more valuable.

etc...

If Schroeder can develop into an all-around player he'd be very valuable to this club.. right now though, I'm just hoping he does enough to stick regularly in the NHL. To do that in AV's system, he's got to be at least decent defensively and bring something more to the team... whether that's faceoffs, PK ability, or the ability to provide an impact as an offensive playmaking center (which this team needs as only Henrik qualifies as such).

I think that when Kesler is back, we're going to see Schroeder centering him and one of Booth or Raymond. Kesler taking the majority of draws, which will help Schroeder learn that trade in the NHL. Kesler has been solid playing the right side before, and given his experience it just seems to make more sense to move him to the wing, rather than Schroeder, who needs as little change as possible to allow him to fully adapt to the NHL. Putting a young player out of his natural position when he's first coming into the league is tough on most players.... and slotting them into roles they aren't suited for (ie. a 3rd line center role in an AV system where he uses that 3rd line in defensive zone starts and line match-ups) isn't going to help Schroeder's confidence or development.

Put him with Booth and Kesler though - 2 guys that can grind, provide some physical presence, while keeping up with Schroeder's speed and tranisition game, would be a solid fit for this team IMO.

Gillis needs to find a true shutdown center for that 3rd line - a Manny Malhotra in his prime. And given his Malhotra signing and then going after Pahlsson last year, I'm guessing Gillis feels the same. Give AV the pieces that he can best work with... or replace AV.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Kesler
Burrows-3rd line Center-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Higgins

the 3rd line takes the majority of defensive zone draws and tough matchups (and with Burrows and Hansen there, along with a true 3rd line shutdown center, that's a very good shutdown line).... interchange Higgins and Schroeder (moving Kesler to center) when Schroeder hits his rookie wall. and you still have a 4th line with skill, defensive smarts and one that will be very tough for other 4th lines in the league to match-up against.

I'd love to go into the playoffs with that depth and versatility. Just have to find that 3rd line 2-way center that can help our faceoffs, PK, and match-up options.

IMO this team is only that - a solid 3rd line center - and of course a couple of injured back - from being one of the deepest and versatile lineups in the league.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Stonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post

wouldn't it be great if (Henrik, Daniel, Booth, Kassian) could play on the PK... they'd all be more valuable..

wouldn't it be great if (Raymond, Booth, Higgins, Kesler, Lapierre, Hansen) had better vision and could use their linemates better? they'd all be more valuable.

etc...

If Schroeder can develop into an all-around player he'd be very valuable to this club.. right now though, I'm just hoping he does enough to stick regularly in the NHL. To do that in AV's system, he's got to be at least decent defensively and bring something more to the team... whether that's faceoffs, PK ability, or the ability to provide an impact as an offensive playmaking center (which this team needs as only Henrik qualifies as such).

I think that when Kesler is back, we're going to see Schroeder centering him and one of Booth or Raymond. Kesler taking the majority of draws, which will help Schroeder learn that trade in the NHL. Kesler has been solid playing the right side before, and given his experience it just seems to make more sense to move him to the wing, rather than Schroeder, who needs as little change as possible to allow him to fully adapt to the NHL. Putting a young player out of his natural position when he's first coming into the league is tough on most players.... and slotting them into roles they aren't suited for (ie. a 3rd line center role in an AV system where he uses that 3rd line in defensive zone starts and line match-ups) isn't going to help Schroeder's confidence or development.

Put him with Booth and Kesler though - 2 guys that can grind, provide some physical presence, while keeping up with Schroeder's speed and tranisition game, would be a solid fit for this team IMO.

Gillis needs to find a true shutdown center for that 3rd line - a Manny Malhotra in his prime. And given his Malhotra signing and then going after Pahlsson last year, I'm guessing Gillis feels the same. Give AV the pieces that he can best work with... or replace AV.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Kesler
Raymond-Lapierre-Higgins

the 3rd line takes the majority of defensive zone draws and tough matchups (and with Burrows and Hansen there, along with a true 3rd line shutdown center, that's a very good shutdown line).... interchange Higgins and Schroeder (moving Kesler to center) when Schroeder hits his rookie wall. and you still have a 4th line with skill, defensive smarts and one that will be very tough for other 4th lines in the league to match-up against.

I'd love to go into the playoffs with that depth and versatility. Just have to find that 3rd line 2-way center that can help our faceoffs, PK, and match-up options.

IMO this team is only that - a solid 3rd line center - and of course a couple of injured back - from being one of the deepest and versatile lineups in the league.
Good analysis. I've been thinking along the same lines. Moving Kesler to the wing might also ease the physical toll he takes, and Schroeder would make an excellent setup man for Kes/Booth driving the net.

Stonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
mossey3535

Quote:

etc...

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Kesler
Raymond-Lapierre-Higgins

Yeah but if we couldn't get Kesler to move to wing unless we had a HoF center, what makes us think anyone is going to make him do it for Schroeder? Like you said before, this is an AV team.

Having said that, your argument makes perfect sense to me. Kesler in his current state is a black hole on offense, and he needs a playmaker.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

etc...

Not really. With Kassian and Schroeder bring younger, more development is likely ahead of them than behind them. Both have good hockey IQ's too, from the looks of it. Schroeder in fact did play PK on the Wolves for a time as well.

I do understand your point though, wishful thinking in most cases. But for these two, there's still a chance I think because they are so young. Schroeder's defensive IQ is showing to be good as well.

Quote:

Really? Schroeder centering Kesler and Booth? Do you think AV will move Kesler away from C to do this? I'm doubtful.

I agree though it would be fantastic to see Kesler finally pushed to the wing to insulate Schroeder. It also really alleviates this team's need to find a long-term top6 RW solution a la Doan. I like it.

Quote:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Kesler
Raymond-Lapierre-Higgins

What about Burrows as a full convert to 3C? He's been doing really well up to this point.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:

etc...

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Kesler
Raymond-Lapierre-Higgins

Need to replace Booth with Burrows, understand that Higgins would not accept playing on the 4th line, and inject more size and toughness on the bottom two lines or that team will get run out of rinks and falls apart in round one. I'd prefer getting rid of both Higgins and Booth actually.

Tim McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:51 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Leddy is the player the Wild drafted first round where everyone in Minny wanted them to draft Schroeder, who then was picked by us.

Leddy made the Show surprisingly early, and that as a D on a really good team (after he was traded for a bag of pucks by the Wild). But Schroeder has finally made it now, in style.
Leddy was traded for now stud-Vancouver defenceman.. Cam Barker

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:26 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
I don't see Schroeder pushing Kesler for the second line center unless Kesler goes to the top line Kassasin drop down and play with Booth and Kassasin might work.......Schroeder is the best player as a playmaker for Kesler, one of them need to play wing and Kesler is more likely........can a winger take faceoff instead of the center?

canuck4life16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
I don't see Schroeder pushing Kesler for the second line center unless Kesler goes to the top line Kassasin drop down and play with Booth and Kassasin might work.......Schroeder is the best player as a playmaker for Kesler, one of them need to play wing and Kesler is more likely........can a winger take faceoff instead of the center?

Yes, of course a winger can take face-offs for a centre. Happens all the time.

I would be damned impressed with AV if he actually moved Kesler to the wing. If he didn't do it for Hodgson, I'm not sure why he would do it now. That move alone could settle the line-up nicely.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
AV is probably going to work Kesler into the lineup fairly cautiously. Given how long it has taken players who were training all summer and fall to get into game shape, we can't expect Kesler to go from rehab directly into carrying our 2nd line.

If I were AV, I would use Kesler initially on the 3rd line (relieving Burrows of a role he is not experienced with) with some power play time as a net front presence on the 2nd unit. As his game conditioning improves, move him up to the 2nd line and either move Schroeder to the wing or down to the 3rd line.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Yes, of course a winger can take face-offs for a centre. Happens all the time.

I would be damned impressed with AV if he actually moved Kesler to the wing. If he didn't do it for Hodgson, I'm not sure why he would do it now. That move alone could settle the line-up nicely.
Schroeder is far better defensively than Hodgson, and has a pretty well rounded game all over the ice.

Playing him with better players may also allow him to break out offensively. He has all the tools, including a good shot, just needs help bringing them out.

In any event, the Higgins Burrows Hansen line will need to start producing for this to work out

Lundface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
I don't see Schroeder pushing Kesler for the second line center

Agreed.

I cant see AV moving a Selke winning centerman to the wing to accommodate a rookie.

And to be honest I'm not sure why Schroder is drawing such rave reviews here. I agree his 2-way game has looked alright for a rookie, but he's really not generating much offensively.

Guys Schroders size need to be major offensive spark plugs or they will struggle to find permanent roles on good teams.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
If Kesler is being pushed to wing we might as well just put him with the twins and roll with the 1st unit PP 5on5. I've always wanted to see that but obviously never had the depth to pull it off. two art ross, and one selke winner on the same line

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:18 PM
YogiCanucks

Just watching the Chicago game, one thing that stands out about Schroeder is anytime he's on his for hand and it's not a clear pass he saucers it. And he's VERY good at getting it off too.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:19 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
Agreed.

I cant see AV moving a Selke winning centerman to the wing to accommodate a rookie.

And to be honest I'm not sure why Schroder is drawing such rave reviews here. I agree his 2-way game has looked alright for a rookie, but he's really not generating much offensively.

Guys Schroders size need to be major offensive spark plugs or they will struggle to find permanent roles on good teams.
He has been very good offensively, though. Vision and passing skill to give and sell, on top of his impressive speed and hard work. He might not be getting a lot of points yet but he's been keeping the puck in the offensive zone and generating chances.

Not trying to say that Schroeder will become him, but it did take MSL a couple of seasons until his skills translated into the scoreboard in a big way; he was 25 by the time he broke .5 PPG for the first time.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
He has been very good offensively, though. Vision and passing skill to give and sell, on top of his impressive speed and hard work. He might not be getting a lot of points yet but he's been keeping the puck in the offensive zone and generating chances.

Not trying to say that Schroeder will become him, but it did take MSL a couple of seasons until his skills translated into the scoreboard in a big way; he was 25 by the time he broke .5 PPG for the first time.
He has 1 point and 5 shots in 6 games.

He hasn't had a lot of chances and neither have his line mates.

Again, he's been OK, but I I think people are watching him through very rosy glasses.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Kesler
Raymond-Lapierre-Higgins

That who would that be in your opinion? Guys like that teams are always loathe to part with unless they have their share of warts (Pahlsson last year).

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:

etc...

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Kesler
Raymond-Lapierre-Higgins

There is no way they are moving Ryan Kesler to wing. Especially your prediction for the sake of Jordan Schroeder being his centerman.

I disagree with these aspects of your post. Lets keep these posts and revisit them when Kesler returns.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
He has 1 point and 5 shots in 6 games.

He hasn't had a lot of chances and neither have his line mates.

Again, he's been OK, but I I think people are watching him through very rosy glasses.
He's probably had one real good chance every game. Yeah he hasn't produced yet but he is doing the right things and playing well, if he continues the points will come.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Wizeman*

Ok the guy just started his career. How many goals should he have . Did he not just score the shoot out goal to win the game for us?

Hes playing excellent in my opinion. The guy is just starting and will only get better as he gets wiser.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:48 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
He had 2 or 3 great saucer passes last night, if I remember correctly... And he's been reliable defensively, almost equally important.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Tiranis

Henrik has 5 assists and no goals in 8 games, with 1st unit PP time. Is that reflective of his true talent or his contributions to our non-existent offense? This team is finding it hard to buy goals right now but that doesn't mean some players aren't still playing well.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Henrik has 5 assists and no goals in 8 games, with 1st unit PP time. Is that reflective of his true talent or his contributions to our non-existent offense? This team is finding it hard to buy goals right now but that doesn't mean some players aren't still playing well.
The best part is even without putting up points he looks good on the ice. Always picking up the trailer, picks up loose pucks defensively quite often and is usually in good position defensively.

He's also looked good on the 2nd unit pp. Lost a few pucks yesterday but other than that he looks good moving the puck around. I watched him quite a bit with the Wolves, but he looks even faster to me at this level. Overall I'm very encouraged by his play so far.

Also has anyone else noticed that Tanev looks faster this season? Kid is a fantastic skater

Lundface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Land O Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Lethal sauce.

Land O Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Agreed.

Usually, guys Schroeder's size aren't as reliable defensively out of the gate. That is encouraging. It allows coaches to be more patient waiting for that offense. The reason why smaller have to produce at a good clip, and I agree that they do, is because they give up so much in their all around game that the justification to keep them in the lineup is difficult without that offense. Guys like Gallagher and Conacher have to produce. Schroeder breaks that mould somewhat by being reliable in all zones. As a result, you can be more patient with him trying to find his game. It's easier to justify keeping him around while not producing.

The more he expands his game defensively, such as picking up PK duty, more Dzone starts, facing better competition etc... the more you can justify waiting for that offense to come. But it will have to be there eventually..At a top6 rate no less, for him to truly stick.

You are correct in saying that offense will ultimately determine how valuable he is as a player. As of right now though, good start overall.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Usually, guys Schroeder's size aren't as reliable defensively out of the gate.
Defensive problems, no physical presence, and a tough time in the playoffs is typically why smaller guys need to outperform an average or above average sized player.

Schroder will not be the exception, he will need to become a very good offensive player or he wont stick on a good team.

Right now he seems a long way from that and I suspect he is not a part of the Canucks current playoff plans.

That said, it is nice to see a young player come up and play fairly well.