Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josef Vasicek -proposal

Old
07-02-2006, 08:45 AM
pepchew

vCash: 500
Josef Vasicek -proposal

The Flames need at least one more forward. The question seems to be, do they go after a legitimate number one centre or do they leave that up to one of Langkow, Lombardi or Lundmark? I really don't think they'll be able to sign Tanguay and have enough left over for a legitimate number one guy in his prime (even if they have cap room, I suspect they still have a budget). Guys like Lindros and Roenick might be cheap but they are also high risk. Moreover, I'd love to see Langkow on the 2nd line with Huselius. Taking a chance on Lundmark or Lombardi is also a little bit risky in my opinion. Therefore, the best option that I can see would involve bringing in a younger guy that has potential but that hasn't had things work out favourably with another club. I think a guy that might fit the bill is Carolina's Josef Vasiceck.

Vasiceck seemed to be on the verge of an offensive breakthrough just before the lockout. He had 19 goals and 45 points as a 23 year old not always playing on a top line. On top of his offensive potential, he is big (6-4, 210), defensively sound, and has an excellent work ethic (a "Sutter-type"). He had reconstructive knee surgery and missed most of the past regular season (yes, he is somewhat injury prone), so it was no surprise to me that he wasn't a main contributor the Cane's playoff run. In fact, it is for this reason I suspect he could be had for a prospect or a pick. The final reason I think he'd be a good acquisition is that if he doesn't score on the top line, he is versatile enough that he could fit in on any of the other 3 lines, either at centre or on left wing.

I’d be interested in your thoughts.

pepchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:43 AM
abracanada

He looks like an interesting prospect. Nice find. I wonder what it would take to pry him out of Carolina. At the very least, he would be a good depth acquisition and that can't be a bad thing. Look what it did for Carolina.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:06 PM
HuskyFlames

JV lookeed quite meh during the Canes cup win. Wasn't he benched at one time..if not..he was just that invisible. FOr such a guy guy, he is guite soft. I don't see him as a guy I would want on the Flames. He would become the new whipping boy IMO.

Carolina would most likely ask for Lombardi, which defeats the purpose IMO. Carolina lost Cullen and possibly Weight. With those 2 guys gone, both whom play center at times...they need JV as an insurance peice for center.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote