HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Has Gagner proven to you to be a legit 2C?

View Poll Results: Is Gagner a legit 2C
Yes proven 2C keep him 184 67.40%
Yes proven 2C trade him 44 16.12%
No not a proven 2C 45 16.48%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-02-2013, 09:29 AM
AM

vCash: 500
Hes putting up points but hes also assisting the opposition with a lot of power plays.

I think hes a lot closer then last year and a real lot closer then the year before.

Hes got a nice curve going hopefully he can retain it for a little while yet.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:38 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

I often forget how young he is still. He's not even in his prime and I think he's proven more than capable of the #2C position.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:07 AM
nsoilfan

He is a # 2 center for sure. His down side is and Always will be his size and toughness. Depending in the make up of your team decides if we should trade him or keep him. The other factor is $, how much more will he demand next year and beyond..

I think the oilers need some more size in the top six. If they could get that down the middle through trade or free agent then you have to do it.

How much $ does he get? how much $ do you pay your second line center.

Do we keep gags or hemsky? As we can't pay them both 5 mil to play on the second line. Plus one would have to go to add hay toughness to the top 6

I picked # 2 center but trade him however only if we can package for an up grade

Last edited by nsoilfan: 02-02-2013 at 10:46 AM.
nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:06 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Gagner already was a #2 center. Now he's proving he can be a very good one.
yeah gagner "proved" this last year, this year he has just continued to do so and is currently riding a hot scoring streak.... gagner is one of the better offensive 2C in the entire league

the real question is: is he the answer for the oilers moving forward? that is a harder question to answer, one that i certainly don't claim to have the answer to.... the question of gagner being a legit #2C though, was settled a while ago

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:43 AM
mkwong268

vCash: 50
It's the anniversary of Gagner's 8 point night today!

mkwong268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I missed the 1st, but it's games like these that make me wonder if he's cut out for the task at hand against bigger teams. The brain farts are still too frequent as well. If he's not providing offense there's a good chance that he's costing you in the other 2 zones. I'm not ready to say that he's our long term fix at 2C until he bears down in all 3 zones.

02-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I missed the 1st, but it's games like these that make me wonder if he's cut out for the task at hand against bigger teams. The brain farts are still too frequent as well. If he's not providing offense there's a good chance that he's costing you in the other 2 zones. I'm not ready to say that he's our long term fix at 2C until he bears down in all 3 zones.
This absolutely.

There were several plays where he just skated by the puck assuming it would magically go forward and make a big loop back around.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:32 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Offensively he always has been. This year the defensive side is showing it too.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:34 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
This absolutely.

There were several plays where he just skated by the puck assuming it would magically go forward and make a big loop back around.
Yeah I noticed that too. It's a bit of his old habits that are starting to creep through. Hopefully he identifies it and goes back to the way he was playing the first 8 games.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:45 PM
oilerfanatic

his value is high and i would trade him for a big centre in a heartbeat

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Baggers

He's made some mental mistakes the past few games, but overall I've been pretty impressed with Sam this year.

He's improved in pretty much every facet of the game and even though I'm starting to give up on him turning into Marc Savard, he's starting to look like he could be a Doug Gilmour type player.

Unless he falls off the map (I'm thinking unlikely), wants way too much money, or a team is willing to make an overpay, if I'm Oilers management I keep him.

Also, regarding the team's lack of size: The Oilers' PP (with RNH being snake bitten and the whole squad being the youngest in the league) has been downright lethal and will probably become more so in the future. IMO, this is a far bigger deterrent than having coke machines in your top 6.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

People are having a hard time differentiating Gagner mistakes from lack of puck support. On one giveaway today Gagner holds up on the breakout because its a cluster**** waiting to happen with gawdawful puck support and staring at nothing but AV's. So he circles, tries it again and STILL nobody coming back to the puck to offer puck support.

WTF?

Vast majority of times Gagner will make a smart outlet if its available. But when theres nothing but close and no players supporting puck possession its a hell of a lot harder to retain.

Worst play on the day was Hemsky passing the puck up high in opposition zone resulting in a 3 on 1 break. THAT is a play people should be upset with. Where a guy has all kinds of options and chooses that one..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Anybody that was costing us today was Whitney. Its gotta be excruciating playing out there knowing him and Fistric(and I like Fistric) are the D back there. Which immediately results in every other player overcompensating for the expected disasters. Whitney was horrible, again, today. The Gagner line has had the fortune of carrying that pair born in hell lately.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:55 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's always had real wingers. Let's stop using the crappy linemates excuse for why our players haven't produced. It's getting old.
Nilsson-Cogliano < Hemsky-Yakupov

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
He's always had real wingers. Let's stop using the crappy linemates excuse for why our players haven't produced. It's getting old.
if one thinks Omark and MPS are for real NHL wingers.

Get real.

Ironically the only time either even remotely looked like NHL players was playing with Gagner. But even he couldn't save em.

This is the first year where Gagner looks to get a steady diet of production ready linemates.

Heres a scary thought. MPS is now age 21 and invisible. This being the same age at which Gagner was expected to prop up ****ing raw unprepared, rookies on either side. Yeah, that was gonna work. To get us a first pick..

Irony 2. Many of the same people constantly shouting Gagner needs to be dealt are imminently patient with MPS. Where has this patience ever been in respect to Gagner?

Last edited by Replacement: 02-02-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Perfect_Drug

I have trouble calling someone a legit anything until they do it for 2 seasons.

Is he a 2nd line Center? Or someone who played like a 2nd line center for 7 games?

:/

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
if one thinks Omark and MPS are for real NHL wingers.

Get real.

Ironically the only time either even remotely looked like NHL players was playing with Gagner. But even he couldn't save em.

This is the first year where Gagner looks to get a steady diet of production ready linemates.

Heres a scary thought. MPS is now age 21 and invisible. This being the same age at which Gagner was expected to prop up ****ing raw unprepared, rookies on either side. Yeah, that was gonna work. To get us a first pick..

Irony 2. Many of the same people constantly shouting Gagner needs to be dealt are imminently patient with MPS. Where has this patience ever been in respect to Gagner?
MPS is "big". Even though he's softer than a kitten. Plus he's a mysterious Swedish prospect.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I have trouble calling someone a legit anything until they do it for 2 seasons.

Is he a 2nd line Center? Or someone who played like a 2nd line center for 7 games?

:/
56pts in last 83 games played. Thats around 20th among Centers in that span. Few clubs in the league even have a 2nd line Center with this production.

.675ppg. 25 teams in the league would have this guy as second center if we didn't want him. Feel free to find a center this good that would be available.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
56pts in last 83 games played. Thats around 20th among Centers in that span. Few clubs in the league even have a 2nd line Center with this production.

.675ppg. 25 teams in the league would have this guy as second center if we didn't want him. Feel free to find a center this good that would be available.

2nd Liners need to give a modicum of consistency. Subtract that insane week he had, and he was one of the worst performing 2nd liners for 40+ games last year.

Also Point production isn't the only reason Gagner is good this year.
Those things didn't always make it onto the stat line, but you SEE a difference between his hardworking game, and his 'floating' game. I want to see 2 straight seasons of his 'Hard working' game, before I call him a 2nd liner. So far we've seen 8 games.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
MPS is "big". Even though he's softer than a kitten. Plus he's a mysterious Swedish prospect.
Heres something funny. Gagner averages 44pts/season over his first 4yrs in the league and to the haters here he's a bust.

MPS has 42 career pts at the age of 21.(nearly 22)

Gagner was closing in on 200pts at that age.

hmmm

ps Only year and a half difference in age. Yet Gagner is an accomplished, seasoned, veteran at the age of 23. MPS will still look like he's in AHL/NHL daycare at the age of 22.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Hasman

Yes, but that doesn't mean he's the right one for us.

We need size in our top 6, and he's the only one I'd be willing to part with.

Hasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasman View Post

Hah. Really? Gagner > Hemsky

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
2nd Liners need to give a modicum of consistency. Subtract that insane week he had, and he was one of the worst performing 2nd liners for 40+ games last year.

Also Point production isn't the only reason Gagner is good this year.
Those things didn't always make it onto the stat line, but you SEE a difference between his hardworking game, and his 'floating' game. I want to see 2 straight seasons of his 'Hard working' game, before I call him a 2nd liner. So far we've seen 8 games.
No, we've seen a whole Gagner career thus far where he's put up .612ppg. Which prorates to 50pt 82game seasons. Sounds like a player.

ps I wasn't aware 40 pt seasons makes one a "worst performing 2nd liner" Gagner would be a wizard in a place like Nashville.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasman View Post

You're far from alone. Oddly we'd be parting with the forward who aside from Hall shows the most fight in his game.

If people have been paying attention at all Gagner is one of the most physically engaged forwards we have. Which maybe isn't saying a lot on this club but seems odd to cut off the head of your heart and soul guy for years.

Over Gagner's tenure here I don't think seen one Oiler work as hard as him.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Perfect_Drug

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...rt=points&pg=2

So you think scoring has EVERYTHING to do with what makes a 2nd liner?

Like people after top 30 scoring for C: are 2nd liners to you?

Lets see some players on that list, so I can get a handle on the kind of players you think Sam Gagner is superior to:

Derek Stepan
Adam Henrique
Jiri Hudler
Jordan Staal
Ryan Kesler
Vincent Lecavalier
Tyler Bozak
Jeff Skinner
Mike Richards
Derek Roy
Nicklas Backstrom
Mikko Koivu
Rich Peverly
Mike Cammalleri
Antoine Vermette
Sidney Crosby
David Bolland
Saku Koivu
Patrik Berglund
Jeff Carter
Tyler Ennis
Brandon Dubinsky
Martin Hanzal
Matt Duchesne
Sean Couturier

No no no no no no no and NO!

There are not 25 teams that want Sam Gagner centering their 2nd line.