Notices

Valley of the Shadow of General Stars Talk V

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 04:02 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
The Dallas rinks are 100x better than anything down here in Houston. Even Toyota Center.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
This isn't about b****ing and moaning about Larsen being on the bench.

If Larsen truly isn't an option in Gulutzan's opinion in the Top 7 of this team's defense, is there a trade out there that makes sense for the player and the team?

I like Larsen, and I think he'll have a pretty respectable career as a Top 4 defender, but I don't want to watch his value plummet like Fistric's as he racks up healthy scratches. Instead of waiting for him to being months removed from UFA, why not make a move when you can actually get value back.

On a much smaller scale, there could be a trade similar to Shattenkirk+Stewart for Johnson out there.
Kindly disregard. I'd prefer going back to the regularly scheduled b****ing and moaning after hearing the Morrow news.

Also, I looked at the young to youngish defenders out there, and there aren't too many that make sense for the team to move them. My list pretty much ended up Hjalmarsson in Chicago or Gunnarsson in Toronto. Those would be pretty disappointing returns.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:54 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:

If Larsen truly isn't an option in Gulutzan's opinion in the Top 7 of this team's defense, is there a trade out there that makes sense for the player and the team?

I like Larsen, and I think he'll have a pretty respectable career as a Top 4 defender, but I don't want to watch his value plummet like Fistric's as he racks up healthy scratches. Instead of waiting for him to being months removed from UFA, why not make a move when you can actually get value back.

On a much smaller scale, there could be a trade similar to Shattenkirk+Stewart for Johnson out there.
I don't think that really makes sense since Larsen's tenure as a Dallas Star figures to outlast Gulutzan's.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:57 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I don't think that really makes sense since Larsen's tenure as a Dallas Star figures to outlast Gulutzan's.
Hope you're right. I'm done playing the guessing game with Gully though.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM
BigG44

Plan for Kari

Quote:
Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

Glen Gulutzan says Kari Lehtonen is a little under the weather tonight, but that he sees him playing most Feb. games after tonight.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:54 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

If Myers really is out of favor in Buffalo and can't seem to return to form, I wonder if we could get him for Larsen+. I'd take that risk if they would.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Hell yes, doubt it'd be that easy though.

Myers + Oleksiak tandem?

02-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

vCash: 500
I wonder if they'd take say Larsen+Guptil for Myers? What's the forward prospect you're willing to give up because for me it's not Ritchie, Faser, or Chiasson.

Also if they somehow acquire Myers you split him and Olesiak up so that Goligoski gets a bigger defender to play with.

Goligoski-Olesiak
Daley-Myers
Robidas-Benn
Rome

Still hate that third pair but the 1st two are much, much better.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Dirty Kari

Larsen+Guptil is a pipedream. Start at Larsen+Smith/Ritchie/Stransky+1st

Old
02-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Trading Guptill is a terrible idea.

Obtaining Myers is the actual pipedream.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Plan for Kari
More details:
"You look at the way February unfolds after tonight, and I see Kari Lehtonen playing almost every game. He claimed himself today — and I could hear it in his voice and see it in his eyes — that he is not feeling well."
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...february.html/

I don't know what to make of this? It's like Gulutzan doesn't hear the words that are coming out of his mouth.

He will drive Kari into the ground, this is a metaphysical certitude.

The Stars protecting their investment in Kari might actually be the most compelling argument for a mid-season switch. I still think it's very unlikely that anything happens before the offseason, but... Gulutzan is devolving by the day.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:30 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:

I'm seriously against this. The player should outlast this coach at the very least.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Sports
bedroom eyes

9 games in and the Stars & Blue Jackets have identical records; Columbus with the tiebreaker.
Feels bad, man.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
More details:
"You look at the way February unfolds after tonight, and I see Kari Lehtonen playing almost every game. He claimed himself today — and I could hear it in his voice and see it in his eyes — that he is not feeling well."
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...february.html/

I don't know what to make of this? It's like Gulutzan doesn't hear the words that are coming out of his mouth.

He will drive Kari into the ground, this is a metaphysical certitude.

The Stars protecting their investment in Kari might actually be the most compelling argument for a mid-season switch. I still think it's very unlikely that anything happens before the offseason, but... Gulutzan is devolving by the day.
What the hell? I'm glad Bachs got the start tonight, and would not mind seeing him in goal again if Kari's still not at 100%.

The last thing this team needs is for Gully to pull a full-blown Tippett and ride Kari into the ground, taking the entire team down with him while the backup rots on the bench.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
What the hell? I'm glad Bachs got the start tonight, and would not mind seeing him in goal again if Kari's still not at 100%.

The last thing this team needs is for Gully to pull a full-blown Tippett and ride Kari into the ground, taking the entire team down with him while the backup rots on the bench.
I certainly don't want Kari to get hurt but at this point playing him or not playing him isn't going to change where this team is going. The 29th ranked offense and probably the worst defense in the NHL, Lehtonen alone isn't saving this team.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I feel awful for hoping he does and Kari gets hurt, thus rendering this team incapable of going anywhere but the bottom.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

This is a joke isn't it? I thought they improved the Top6 and now they getting outscored every game... what a shame..

Old
02-03-2013, 08:50 AM
BigG44

Something you need to consider when making trade proposals:

Dallas can only trade $5,858,519 in cap hits and stay above the floor.

How I came to this number:

*CapGeek currently projects Dallas with a Projected Cap Payroll of $58,439,587
*This number includes injury call ups.
*I had to make several assumptions to correct that number.

1) Nilstorp is reportedly close to healthy, Projected return to the AHL on 2/4.
2) Roy could return Monday, projected return of Roussel to AHL on 2/4.
3) Dallas will return to only 7 D after road trip, projected Oleksiak return to the AHL on 2/7.
4) Whitney is out 4 to 6 weeks, projected Reilly Smith return to AHL on 3/4.

I went with the most conservative projections as possible. Nilstorp will probably not return to the AHL by Monday, Whitney might take longer than 4 weeks, and Oleksiak could stay in the NHL. I based all my decisions on reducing the salary payroll as much as possible to give a worst case, realistic scenario of the cap situation.

With those 4 players no longer projected to remain the entire season, Dallas' season cap payroll is $55,679,276 which is $1,479,276 above the floor. The trade deadline falls on April 3rd, if we assume Dallas doesn't make a trade until that point, the pro-rated salary you can trade is $5,858,519.

The next you have to consider is any play traded has to be replaced on the roster. For example, $3.5 million Ryder being traded likely results in $900,000 Reilly Smith returning to the NHL. That represents only $2.6 million of pro-rated salary leaving the team.

If Dallas goes into a full sale mode, they'll need to get creative about adding salary.

Last edited by BigG44: 02-03-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old
02-03-2013, 09:23 AM
BigG44

I need to get use to applying the salary retention rule.

Dallas is probably just fine. Like I mentioned, all my assumptions were based on removing as much salary from the payroll as possible. Injuries and injury call ups will continue, and there's a very real possibility Oleksiak is here to stay.

With the salary retention rule, Dallas can retain half of Morrow, Jagr, and Ryder's salary this year.

That means trading those 3 players would only be a net loss of $6.075 million pro-rated salary, factor in those players are replaced by call ups after a trade and you can trade all of them without getting creative.

Any other trades would have to be matching salary in, salary out trades. You can only retain 3 players' salaries.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:31 AM
BigG44

In the scenario above, retaining salary, if Smith, Fraser, and Roussel were added to replace those 3, Dallas could still have about $1.9 million in pro-rated salary they could trade.

Trading Bachman and replacing him with the high cap hit Nilstorp pushes that number to about $2.3.

That means you could trade Robidas and replace him with Oleksiak leaving you at about $400K of pro rated cap space.

If you picked up an expiring contract like Tim Connolly. You could actually trade Derek Roy if things go sour there.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:47 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I actually understood everything in these posts.

I still don't see Jagr being traded. It's not that he's that important to us, it's just... You don't trade a guy like Jagr unless he asks for it.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:43 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I actually understood everything in these posts.

I still don't see Jagr being traded. It's not that he's that important to us, it's just... You don't trade a guy like Jagr unless he asks for it.
Jagr wouldn't ask out of anger. He doesn't seem like that guy, but he always seems to play for playoff teams.

The team would approach him about an opportunity to maybe go to a playoff team, and I have little doubt he'd be thrilled with the possibility. You shouldn't read this as a negative about Jagr personally, but he has no allegiance to Dallas. The dude loves to play hockey, and if he an opportunity to play beyond April, I think he easily jumps at it.

Now ... his opinion actually doesn't matter because he has a NTC. When Dallas signed him, I imagine the play was to move him should they potentially miss the playoffs. Again though, I doubt the player would mind one bit being moved.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:03 PM
StarsFan74

In case anyone here hasn't read it, Mike Heika's newsletter on Nieuwendyk, Gully, and the state of the Stars.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I wonder if they'd take say Larsen+Guptil for Myers? What's the forward prospect you're willing to give up because for me it's not Ritchie, Faser, or Chiasson.

Also if they somehow acquire Myers you split him and Olesiak up so that Goligoski gets a bigger defender to play with.

Goligoski-Olesiak
Daley-Myers
Robidas-Benn
Rome

Still hate that third pair but the 1st two are much, much better.
Myers is a top 4 defensemen, I can't see us getting him for Larsen and Guptill.

I'd give something like Larsen, Chiasson, another forward prospect and Robidas (Get him out of here). And too be honest, I don't think that's enough.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:32 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Myers is a top 4 defensemen, I can't see us getting him for Larsen and Guptill.

I'd give something like Larsen, Chiasson, another forward prospect and Robidas (Get him out of here). And too be honest, I don't think that's enough.
Based on what the Buffalo fanbase is saying about Myers, Larsen + anything sounds like overpayment on our part. I want absolutely no part of a reclamation project that costs our best young puck mover, a forward with tons of potential, and another prospect.

No ****ing way.

Closed Thread