HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

View Poll Results: kessel goals, 15 over or under, this year
over 86 51.50%
under 81 48.50%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Doshy

vCash: 500
I really want to see Kessel score vs Boston.

Make it happen.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:51 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
So now we can judge Phil Kessel by his play - and not his stats?

You guys make it so confusing - normally Kessel supporters completely disregard anything other than his 30+ goals. Now that he's not scoring its awfully convenient that his "play away from the puck" is fair game.

I can list you 100 players in the NHL that are far superior to Phil Kessel "Away From the Puck" .. so if he's not scoring goals - and he's below average away from the puck - why are we trying to rebuild around him?>
Because its 7 games into the season and we already know what he can do offensively. Any more questions?

Old
02-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I'd love to see this 100 players list with the same elite level of Kessel.

02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
buntek

Why on earth does a player, making millions of dollars, come to camp out of shape? We're seeing the results of a **** off season for Kessel. Get your **** together Phil.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
Because its 7 games into the season and we already know what he can do offensively. Any more questions?
no ....its because not all leafs fans only want to think its all rainbows and loli pops ......go warch the 'WIZARD OF OZ '..kessel is being scrutinized because in reality the leafs need to know if can be a part of good playoff team ,he aint scored in 15 games including last year .....so ya im sure nonis 's bosses are concerened the boy will be commanding 7-8 mill a year in 18 months

Old
02-02-2013, 03:04 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
You know...I dislike Kassian because of things I know about that guy. You can say I loathe him. However I credit him for his work and always praise what he is capable of, and not to mention best at what he does, as dirty as it might be. Never have I held him accountable for entire team's demise nor have I gone on rampage about it.

In this post, there is way to much effort on what's wrong with a players game than actually acknowledging what he has contributed. You are fighting way to hard to prove that point he isn't a game breaker. Even the most arrogant Bruins fans who despise kessel is willing to admit more than the stats you have posted.
LR I'm not interested in putting Phil Kessel's needs ahead of the team. In order for Phil Kessel to be successful and make significant contributions to the win/loss column we would need to give up significant assets to fully realize his potential (and cap)

Unless someone can provide me with a realistic plan of how you would build a team around Phil Kessel that does not involve:

Banking on the Hope/Wish/Prayer that a Quality UFA will sign here in the off-season
Mortgaging the Future via Assets traded to help Phil Kessel realize his true potential
Banking on Mid-Level prospects to over-achieve make significant contributions to NHL club

I'm all ears ...

Last edited by DaveT83*: 02-02-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 04:10 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
So now we can judge Phil Kessel by his play - and not his stats?

You guys make it so confusing - normally Kessel supporters completely disregard anything other than his 30+ goals. Now that he's not scoring its awfully convenient that his "play away from the puck" is fair game.

I can list you 100 players in the NHL that are far superior to Phil Kessel "Away From the Puck" .. so if he's not scoring goals - and he's below average away from the puck - why are we trying to rebuild around him?>
He has 4 assists for the season, and while it may be a slow start for him, it's not like he's not pitching in, and generating chances. Heck, he played a significant role in all 4 of the goals he's assisted on. He's still averaging over 4 shots/game (tied for 2nd most shots in the league), and has had quite a few quality scoring chances.

Not sure what's so hard to grasp about the argument. Kessel has improved his play away from the puck, while sacrificing very little of his offense. The lack of his goal production isn't a result of him not getting any/enough chances.

Quote:
LR I'm not interested in putting Phil Kessel's needs ahead of the team. In order for Phil Kessel to be successful and make significant contributions to the win/loss column we would need to give up significant assets to fully realize his potential (and cap)

Unless someone can provide me with a realistic plan of how you would build a team around Phil Kessel that does not involve:

Banking on the Hope/Wish/Prayer that a Quality UFA will sign here in the off-season
Mortgaging the Future via Assets traded to help Phil Kessel realize his true potential

I'm all ears ...
So your plan is to get rid of top line/pairing players and hope that we end up in a position to draft top line/pairing players. Brilliant.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Donmega

Hopefully kessel pokes the bear tonight.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:21 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:

Banking on Mid-Level prospects to over-achieve make significant contributions to NHL club

I'm all ears ...
Not every player on the team is the guy you build around. Sometimes they're just key players on the team. Every team had them. We happen to have one of the best.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:30 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:

I'm all ears ...
YOU draft a bloody center this year. If you got to move some other picks to get into the top 10 then so be it.

Man it is so freaking easy.

And it's not like everyone on this roster is going to be here in 2-3 yers anyway. Trade them for picks and use those picks to ensure a #1C in this years draft.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:32 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Not every player on the team is the guy you build around. Sometimes they're just key players on the team. Every team had them. We happen to have one of the best.
One of the best complementary players who gets applauded by his fan base when he passes his own blue line to "help out" as much as he can as long as he does not have to get physical.

Wake up. Kessel is a run and gun player who cant play in his own end and is in no way the kind of player you want to bring in to the post season if you plan to go far. And please bring up his awesome stats form the playoffs with Boston then try and explain why Boston who build to win (and did it) did not move heaven and earth to keep their little playoff warrior.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:00 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
One of the best complementary players who gets applauded by his fan base when he passes his own blue line to "help out" as much as he can as long as he does not have to get physical.

Wake up. Kessel is a run and gun player who cant play in his own end and is in no way the kind of player you want to bring in to the post season if you plan to go far. And please bring up his awesome stats form the playoffs with Boston then try and explain why Boston who build to win (and did it) did not move heaven and earth to keep their little playoff warrior.
So you didn't watch the last game I take it?

Old
02-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Liminality

Quote:

I thought it was to do with his contract and not the type of player he is.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:11 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
I thought it was to do with his contract and not the type of player he is.
For some the truth is only an inconvenience to be ignored at will.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:54 PM
summerstorm

Quote:
So before the argument Kessel (Burke Supporters) would use was "Look at Kessels goals man" Look at his stats - he's Top6 scoring in NHL - he's like the best thing ever" Forget the teams results - forget the standings - it was all about Phils stats.

Now its ... "uhh look at him do the small things that are EXPECTED FROM EVERY PLAYER IN THE ****ING NHL"

I'm done talking about this with fanboys - you can all find me and apologize for your ignorance in a few weeks/months when Phil is traded - for significant assets that will help this team win.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:55 PM
summerstorm

Quote:

I'm all ears ...

thought you were done????

typical of you to tease us by saying you wouldn't post again....then ya do...crappy life????

Old
02-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Phil is scoring tonight.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
He has 4 assists for the season, and while it may be a slow start for him, it's not like he's not pitching in, and generating chances. Heck, he played a significant role in all 4 of the goals he's assisted on. He's still averaging over 4 shots/game (tied for 2nd most shots in the league), and has had quite a few quality scoring chances.

Not sure what's so hard to grasp about the argument. Kessel has improved his play away from the puck, while sacrificing very little of his offense. The lack of his goal production isn't a result of him not getting any/enough chances.

So your plan is to get rid of top line/pairing players and hope that we end up in a position to draft top line/pairing players. Brilliant.
Maybe because his point production has almost come to a dead stop since Carl took over?

Old
02-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerstorm View Post
thought you were done????

typical of you to tease us by saying you wouldn't post again....then ya do...crappy life????

Nice cheap shot , hiding behind a alt handle?

Thats about a brave as Kessels board play.

You should change your handle to Kotalik.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:18 PM
summerstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Nice cheap shot , hiding behind a alt handle?

Thats about a brave as Kessels board play.

You should change your handle to Kotalik.
no idea what you are saying here...but you change yer nick to Burrows and I'm in....

Old
02-02-2013, 06:22 PM
johnny_rudeboy

We are out off our own zone!!!

Old
02-02-2013, 06:22 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
We are out off our own zone!!!
For 5 seconds...

Wrong thread

Old
02-02-2013, 09:09 PM
buntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post

Different teams, have different needs. That's why trades happen.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
diceman934

Quote:

I'm all ears ...
You are correct sir!

We need to stop worrying about trying to build a team around a player who is not a piece to build around.....to do so we need a big mean tough winger who can skate and score and a big mean center who can pass the puck like Crosby....or Crosby himself.....otherwise we are wasting time.

Last edited by diceman934: 02-02-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm all ears ...
Seems like trading him makes the most sense. Get some valuable help.

Closed Thread