HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 05:39 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Obviously the pluses would be significant. Hemsky+Klefbom+1st I think at least gets Boston's attention. In saying that if thats the cost I think were better off going after a guy like Hartnell or Ladd whose asking price should be lower.
Talk about over paying

Old
02-02-2013, 05:52 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Yeah, not sure what Markstrom or a Rampage/IceHogs game has to do with the Oilers. Maybe that was meant to be posted on the Panthers board.
I want that we take a shot to get markström, hopes that loungo sign with fla, would make that deal easier. Hes also rfa in the summer. A ready elite prospect who can give Dub a hard race for the spot. It looks so f poor behind Dub so we have to go shopping.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Pinnerdink

vCash: 400
What do you guys think of a trade like:

To NYI

Hemsky
MPS

To Edm

Okposo
Neiderreiter
2nd Rnd pick

*To me...the two teams are swapping somewhat under performing forwards, while we get a little bit bigger. New environment for all while filling needs for both?

Old
02-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Soundwave

Hemsky for Nedrettier

Omark + 4th for Penner

Yea/nay?

Penner's not perfect, but he'd be a decent stop gap until Nino is ready to contribute.

If this isn't a playoff year, but you can grab a big center like Nikushkin in the draft, a lot of our size issues will have been addressed.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnerdink View Post
What do you guys think of a trade like:

To NYI

Hemsky
MPS

To Edm

Okposo
Neiderreiter
2nd Rnd pick

*To me...the two teams are swapping somewhat under performing forwards, while we get a little bit bigger. New environment for all while filling needs for both?
I'd do that even without the 2nd round pick.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I have a buddy who always tells me the Oilers could easily put together 3 scoring lines. Always argues there is no reason it shouldnt work.

There is a reason why forwards are broken into top 6 and bottom 6 types.

Your top six are used as much as possible against weaker coverage and in the offensive zone. They have slick skills and sweet hands to create offense. Those sweet skills almost always come at the expensse of proper defensive positioning and thinking. You typicaly need at least 2 if not all 3 forwards on a top 6 line to be thinking offense to score a goal. One person not on the same page and you turn the puck over and it is back down the ice.

Your bottom 6 forwards need to be all thinking defense. They are put out against the best to shut them down. Its nice for them to have the ability to score a gritty goal or 2 here and there but ultimatly the bottom 6 NEED to be thinking defense every second they are on the ice.

Edmonton has tried, far too often with far too little success to sprinkle offensive minded players in thier bottom 6. Or defensive minded players in the top 6. It IMO is one the main reasons why the Oilers have finished 30, 30, 29th the last few years.

You will notice that Ralph Krueger is not making that same mistake. He has everyone on thier lines all thinking the same things all working together for thier top 6 or bottom 6 roles.

I am not a coach. Besides the common sense of how much easier it is for everyone on a line to have the same common objective I do not know why this works so well in the NHL but it does and has for a long long time.

Top 6 all need to be offensive minded players. Bottom 6 all need to be defensive minded players. Or at least have the ability to play that role 100%. Obviously some players have the ability to play both.

Ales Hemsky and Linus Omark are not those kind of players. They can not play both ends of the ice. Not even slightly. Niether of these players should ever be on a third line, or a fouth line. The just flat out suck too much in those roles. And hate it to boot.

Thus the reason Linus will never play in edmonton probably ever again. Unless we lose a lot of our current top 6.

Linus isn't good enough to crack our current top 6. Not even close.
That is outdated thinking and really isn't how today's game operates on many teams (especially out west) 1st lines will go head to head with one another more often than not. I don't think it is as important as it previously was to have designated shut-down lines, it's more about out-scoring the opposition. I think the objective should be to put 4 effective lines out there and you want each line to be able to give you a little different look and have different strengths, which a coach can exploit as the game situation dictates.

Our first line works best when they use short passes to breakdown the defense and get them chasing.

Our 2nd line is usually Hemsky skating the puck in for an offensive possession and then either Gagner or Hemsky distributing the puck for a quick opportunity on net. This line is the one most people want to tweak, and I think we can all tell success on this line is mostly going to be about getting Yakupov into the right spot and delivering the puck into his wheelhouse for a shot. Personally I like this line how it is right now, I'm not sure Yak is really ready to be the guy we all count on for this line to be successful just yet; when he is it will probably be him and Gagner, along with a complimentary player (likely a strong 2 way player or someone with size and a little offensive touch around the net).

Our 3rd and 4th lines lack any real identity and are not terribly effective we have some useful players on those lines who play roles on the team but don't really form any cohesive line to deliver positive results on a consistent basis.

To me Hartikainen is someone who is going to be a mainstay going forward and a line should be built around on what makes him effective which is his cycle game. We should be looking to get someone who can compliment his boardwork and 1 other player who can help a little on the board work, but mostly specializes in sneaking away from traffic for the quick shot or cleaning up the garbage off a rebound chance.

Most effective 4th lines in the league are built on a strong forecheck with a priority on hitting. I don't think we should stray away from that formula, it creates energy, sets a quick tempo, wears down the opposition. It also creates turnovers and when teams start making turnovers it can almost become contagious in the line-up. All of this would benefit our other lines and leads well into the kind of team I think we want to become.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
I want that we take a shot to get markström, hopes that loungo sign with fla, would make that deal easier. Hes also rfa in the summer. A ready elite prospect who can give Dub a hard race for the spot. It looks so f poor behind Dub so we have to go shopping.
Hard for Luongo to sign in Florida when he already has a long term contract.

Dubnyk has been playing just fine lately too.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Fistric trade notwithstanding I'm not even sure why we have a thread for this.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:47 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Fistric trade notwithstanding I'm not even sure why we have a thread for this.
We discuss moves made by other GM's

Old
02-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
We discuss moves made by other GM's
Our esteemed GM doesn't even care to comment on the team during the season.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:02 PM
#ualberta

Quote:

"its all part of the plan" - ST

Old
02-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post

"its all part of the plan" - ST

He's probably pulling a Tillman on us and is hunkered down in BC somewhere.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:37 PM
rockinghockey

NYi wouldn't do that deal

Old
02-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Andrew B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Hemsky for Nedrettier

Omark + 4th for Penner

Yea/nay?

Penner's not perfect, but he'd be a decent stop gap until Nino is ready to contribute.

If this isn't a playoff year, but you can grab a big center like Nikushkin in the draft, a lot of our size issues will have been addressed.
I don't think they will trade Nino.

I would be way more interested in a Paajarvi for Okposo deal tho.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:52 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Hemsky for Nedrettier

Omark + 4th for Penner

Yea/nay?

LA gave us a first and Teubert for Penner, they're not going to trade him back to us for Omark and a 4th... I wish.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Hemsky for Nedrettier

Omark + 4th for Penner

Yea/nay?

Nay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely fine with dealing Hemsky, but I don't want it to be for a guy who still has to establish himself in the league.

Nino needs atleast this year in the AHL to refine his offensive game and then get called up to see if his offense translates. If we're dealing Hemsky, I'd want to either try get a guy who is established in what he does and fills our need, or get picks/prospects which we then turn around and trade for a guy we want.

For example, if Buffalo keep struggling, I'd call them up and see if Drew Stafford could be had. He can play both LW and RW pretty effectively, big body who has shown he can pot goals in. A little expensive, but doesn't screw us in terms of re-signing our young guys.

02-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
He's too busy preparing for his anual speech about the draft

Old
02-02-2013, 08:58 PM
doubledown99

Buf fans are pissed with Myers....

Old
02-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
He's too busy preparing for his anual speech about the draft
He didn't seem too "proud" to be selecting Yakupov. Hopefully he'll be able to force himself to get on the stage this summer.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Empros

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Buf fans are pissed with Myers....
Bottom pairing of Fistric - Myers would be awesome.

Paajarvi + Whitney?

Old
02-02-2013, 09:48 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empros View Post
Bottom pairing of Fistric - Myers would be awesome.

Paajarvi + Whitney?
Not even close

Old
02-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Hemsky for Nedrettier

Omark + 4th for Penner

Yea/nay?

Neiderreitter is one of the worst forwards in the league as far as chances for vs. against go. If you want a long-term project, by all means. I don't think the Oilers can afford to lose one of their top powerVpower forwards for one who can't score or defend.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
He didn't seem too "proud" to be selecting Yakupov. Hopefully he'll be able to force himself to get on the stage this summer.
Tambo wouldn't risk that, He would trade that 1st to save the embarrassment

Old
02-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Tambo wouldn't risk that, He would trade that 1st to save the embarrassment
James Duthie keeps teasing him at the draft lottery table. I think he's tired of it. :x

Old
02-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
James Duthie keeps teasing him at the draft lottery table. I think he's tired of it. :x
Dreger face would become a thing of the past, Tambo face is the new thang.

Closed Thread