HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps vs Flyers - 01/02/13

Old
02-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Score View Post
I'd rather have the electrifying offense that scared opponents other than punching them in the face.
It isn't like they are mutually exclusive...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Erskine - elbowed a player in a collision while trying to get to the puck. Could have been inadvertent.

Bourque -elbows a guy who's not looking and is peeling off for a line change after the puck is gone. Completely deliberate.

Other than the face that there's a elbow to the head involved, there aren't a whole lot of similarities.
I agree in that there was no intent on Erskine's part to hit Simmonds in the face and that it was more an instinctual effort to protect himself but Erskine is still getting suspended. Hopefully it will just be a game.

If Eskine had had the same intent as Bourque did Simmonds would not have gotten up under his own power.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:52 PM
BTCG

Didn't post till now, as I had another game to watch when I got home from the Caps game.

My .02:

That was one tough game to watch. It was like a battle of poor team attrition, with the Caps being slightly better than the Flyers. It was my first in-person game this year, and seeing the entire ice makes a big difference. For every good play by a player, we made at least 2 bad ones.

One thing I noticed is that we've gotta quit using starch on AO's jerseys. I never noticed how straight and stiff he is most of the time. Last night, he was right back to his old self: cherry-picking. The first Flyer goal I attribute to him... instead of getting in the play, he was hanging out at the pointe, to gain a few steps on the D in case of transition.

On the way home, I had to laugh as the radio announcers claimed that the Caps "played the system the whole game."

Cherry-picking is part of the system? And the last 2-3 minutes, with our guys forming a line to prevent the Flyers from skating the puck into our zone... looked an awful lot like "Hunter-Hockey" to me and the folk in the stands.

Thank gawd we won, but it had a Edmonton vs Columbus look to the game. Very hard to watch. Still, an improvement, slightly.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:00 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I think the negativity is pretty well justified. The D and goaltending are both coming around, but this team still hasn't scored more than 3 goals in any game, hasn't won a game by more than one goal, is 13th in the conference, and is only scoring 2.25 goals per game. Meanwhile, Tampa looks like world-beaters, and has already opened up a 7 point lead in the SE.

More importantly though, they haven't looked like a good team in any of their games. They have, at times, looked competent, but not good for more than a period at a time, and never great.

I'd love to be optimistic about this team, I just don't have a reason to think that way yet.
i think that in most cases having a more even keel is more productive. first impressions are often wrong.

the mike green ive seen in the past three games looks nothing like the first 3 games on the subject of his handling of the puck. i am sure there are numous players that are still trying to get tuned in.

lets talk again after theyve played 20

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I think the negativity is pretty well justified. The D and goaltending are both coming around, but this team still hasn't scored more than 3 goals in any game, hasn't won a game by more than one goal, is 13th in the conference, and is only scoring 2.25 goals per game. Meanwhile, Tampa looks like world-beaters, and has already opened up a 7 point lead in the SE.

More importantly though, they haven't looked like a good team in any of their games. They have, at times, looked competent, but not good for more than a period at a time, and never great.

I'd love to be optimistic about this team, I just don't have a reason to think that way yet.
In the interest of fairness, the Lightning are probably the team in the division that needs the least work in terms of "coming together" after a lockout with barely any training camp time and no preseason at all.

It's still early and I'm not really shocked that a team who's had to deal with three fairly different systems in the last season and a handful of games is struggling. I don't think anyone really should be.

One positive is that, offensively, I don't think the team's been terrible. I see play being carried with no reward. Periods where the team should pot 2-3 goals and end up with 1 or none. The penalties will hopefully come down as the season goes on, too. Those have killed momentum more often than they have not.

I'm just glad the team's back on ice.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote