HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Think about the future...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2006, 03:08 PM
  #1
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Think about the future...

OK, some of you will say that I'm too positive, but I think that Gainey is doing a good job by not giving too large contract to a guy like Elias...

Why?

Simply because Gainey is probably think futher then the next season. We have a young team and guys like Higgins, Komi, Perez, Pleks and Kost will not cost you much, but only for their first two contract...

They will be soon looking for a big raise and we have to have the cap to be able to retain their service...Ryder seems to be a consistent 30 goal scorer...will he only wants 1M per year for the rest of his career?

Markov will be a UFA next year...he will not be looking for 2M.

Also, Gainey surely don't want to fill the roster with vets because he knows that we have many young players in the system who will be ready within 2 years.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:11 PM
  #2
Maithz
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I think a contract to Shanahan like 4 millions or Samsonov to fill our 2nd line LW spot will be ok .

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Zednik - Plekanec - Perezhogin

Kostitsyn - Begin - Murray

  Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:16 PM
  #3
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Believe me, everybody understands that we have some good young players coming through the system, but the discussion is the same every year. Everybody always wants to save as much money as possible for the future, but why? We have a lot of money to play with this offseason and most of the good free agents are already gone.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting sick of this never-ending rebuilding plan. I can't wait to see Perezhogin, Plekanec, and Higgins improve next year, hopefully to be joined by Kostitsyn and Latendresse. I think our young players will be substantially better in the upcoming season, but that's not enough. Our two biggest rivals are at least making a sincere effort to improve, that's all I ask of the Canadiens. At some point Gainey needs to set higher aspirations than merely reaching the playoffs. I thought that our current core, a few more young guys from our system, and an elite free agent or two could do the trick. Instead of fighting for the final playoff spot again, we could challenge for the division. Unfortunately, it looks like more of the same. I still think we'll be a solid team next year, but Bob really missed out on a great opportunity to make this team a legitimate contender.

The Montreal Canadiens have been screwing around in the middle of the pack for far too long. I don't want to hear about building for 2009 - I want to see management at least make an effort, not enter the season closer to the floor than the cap.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:22 PM
  #4
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Believe me, everybody understands that we have some good young players coming through the system, but the discussion is the same every year. Everybody always wants to save as much money as possible for the future, but why? We have a lot of money to play with this offseason and most of the good free agents are already gone.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting sick of this never-ending rebuilding plan. I can't wait to see Perezhogin, Plekanec, and Higgins improve next year, hopefully to be joined by Kostitsyn and Latendresse. I think our young players will be substantially better in the upcoming season, but that's not enough. Our two biggest rivals are at least making a sincere effort to improve, that's all I ask of the Canadiens. At some point Gainey needs to set higher aspirations than merely reaching the playoffs. I thought that our current core, a few more young guys from our system, and an elite free agent or two could do the trick. Instead of fighting for the final playoff spot again, we could challenge for the division. Unfortunately, it looks like more of the same. I still think we'll be a solid team next year, but Bob really missed out on a great opportunity to make this team a legitimate contender.

The Montreal Canadiens have been screwing around in the middle of the pack for far too long. I don't want to hear about building for 2009 - I want to see management at least make an effort, not enter the season closer to the floor than the cap.
First, we are in the last stint of the rebuilding plan. We saw it last year and it's almost over...our young players are good!

Also, last year, with a good goaltender for the whole year, we would have been way better. Theo was so bad...he was the one who put us in the 7th seeds...

So bottom line, I agree that one of Shanahan or Samsonov would do the trick, but even if we don't sign anyone, I think that our team is underated...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:25 PM
  #5
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I'm not saying we won't be good, but we won't be as good as we could have been. I think our team is good enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a series or two right now. That doesn't excuse Gainey from using his financial resources to put us over the top.

If we don't sign Shanahan, I almost hope Gainey does nothing at all at this point. I have no interest in Samsonov and I don't see a whole lot of guys out there that are worthy of the contracts they will receive.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:39 PM
  #6
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
OK, some of you will say that I'm too positive, but I think that Gainey is doing a good job by not giving too large contract to a guy like Elias...

Why?

Simply because Gainey is probably think futher then the next season. We have a young team and guys like Higgins, Komi, Perez, Pleks and Kost will not cost you much, but only for their first two contract...

They will be soon looking for a big raise and we have to have the cap to be able to retain their service...Ryder seems to be a consistent 30 goal scorer...will he only wants 1M per year for the rest of his career?

Markov will be a UFA next year...he will not be looking for 2M.

Also, Gainey surely don't want to fill the roster with vets because he knows that we have many young players in the system who will be ready within 2 years.
Top flight talent not Jan Bulis talent costs money.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:10 PM
  #7
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Top flight talent not Jan Bulis talent costs money.
Many of our prospects might become top flight talent...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:24 PM
  #8
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Many of our prospects might become top flight talent...
Yet none of them are all that great right now either....

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:26 PM
  #9
LeHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,111
vCash: 500
We have been thinking about the future for the past 10+ years.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:27 PM
  #10
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29,216
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Yet none of them are all that great right now either....
Higgins and Ryder had pretty good seasons. Ryder was hurt, too!

Plekanec played rather well as a defensive forward, too.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:28 PM
  #11
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
OK, some of you will say that I'm too positive, but I think that Gainey is doing a good job by not giving too large contract to a guy like Elias...

Why?

Simply because Gainey is probably think futher then the next season. We have a young team and guys like Higgins, Komi, Perez, Pleks and Kost will not cost you much, but only for their first two contract...

They will be soon looking for a big raise and we have to have the cap to be able to retain their service...Ryder seems to be a consistent 30 goal scorer...will he only wants 1M per year for the rest of his career?

Markov will be a UFA next year...he will not be looking for 2M.

Also, Gainey surely don't want to fill the roster with vets because he knows that we have many young players in the system who will be ready within 2 years.
It is becoming obvious that when free agency hits at 27 then our players will leave and no new ones will come. We will be a farm team worse than under the old system.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:28 PM
  #12
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Yet none of them are all that great right now either....

well they need ice time to get better..
maybe Perezhogin can score 20-25 goals next year...

maybe Kostitsyn can be rookie of the year?

you never know.

Higgins and Plekanec were pretty succesful in their first full year in the NHL

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:28 PM
  #13
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
gianey said himself we need OFFENSE . sitting back and going into the season with the exact line up minus bulis and sundstrom does no good


hopefully he will be able to pull the cat out of the bag

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:39 PM
  #14
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
gianey said himself we need OFFENSE . sitting back and going into the season with the exact line up minus bulis and sundstrom does no good


hopefully he will be able to pull the cat out of the bag
Getting Shanahan would be pretty good. I see him doing well with Ribeiro

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:48 PM
  #15
Poochie_D
Registered User
 
Poochie_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,847
vCash: 500
I don't wanna sound like a dick... but we've been looking to the "future" for far too long. I wanna win now.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:52 PM
  #16
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D View Post
I don't wanna sound like a dick... but we've been looking to the "future" for far too long. I wanna win now.
Or at least hope of winning down the road. To win it all a blend of cheap up and coming talent and veterans are required. The Habs have frittered away money on Rivet, Bonk etc.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:53 PM
  #17
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,004
vCash: 709
I hope Gainey does think about the future and announces soon that they've come to terms with Grabovsky. If it's the only signing he does, well it's better than nothing. But Grabovsky needs to come as quickly as possible and at least play with the Dogs if he can't make it.

But at least it will be something to look for next year....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:55 PM
  #18
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 11,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Believe me, everybody understands that we have some good young players coming through the system, but the discussion is the same every year. Everybody always wants to save as much money as possible for the future, but why? We have a lot of money to play with this offseason and most of the good free agents are already gone.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting sick of this never-ending rebuilding plan. I can't wait to see Perezhogin, Plekanec, and Higgins improve next year, hopefully to be joined by Kostitsyn and Latendresse. I think our young players will be substantially better in the upcoming season, but that's not enough. Our two biggest rivals are at least making a sincere effort to improve, that's all I ask of the Canadiens. At some point Gainey needs to set higher aspirations than merely reaching the playoffs. I thought that our current core, a few more young guys from our system, and an elite free agent or two could do the trick. Instead of fighting for the final playoff spot again, we could challenge for the division. Unfortunately, it looks like more of the same. I still think we'll be a solid team next year, but Bob really missed out on a great opportunity to make this team a legitimate contender.

The Montreal Canadiens have been screwing around in the middle of the pack for far too long. I don't want to hear about building for 2009 - I want to see management at least make an effort, not enter the season closer to the floor than the cap.



I feel like we've been 're-building' since 1993. I want Montreal to be a true contender, a team that is favoured to win coming into, at least, first round of playoffs.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:04 PM
  #19
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
It is becoming obvious that when free agency hits at 27 then our players will leave and no new ones will come. We will be a farm team worse than under the old system.

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:07 PM
  #20
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45 View Post
Higgins and Ryder had pretty good seasons. Ryder was hurt, too!

Plekanec played rather well as a defensive forward, too.

WOW! The problem is, almost every teams developped at least something similar or better in the past 6 years... So. Almost every teams rebuilds as fast as we do and they also care about winning now. When does the rebuilding process ends? Answer is NEVER. It's cheaper that way.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:16 PM
  #21
Poochie_D
Registered User
 
Poochie_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,847
vCash: 500
Question: do you guys think Bob Genuinely doesn't wanna sign any free agents or do you think GG isn't allowing him to?

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
  #22
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
. I think our team is good enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a series or two right now. That doesn't excuse Gainey from using his financial resources to put us over the top.
It's now well know that Gainey did an offer to Elias and to Arnott . He 's probably going to do the same with Shanahan , but i am sure that at the end , this last is going to resign with Detroit .

The fact is GAINEY TRY TO GET HELP , but that didn't work until now . There are a lot of fans here that talk like if Gainey is doing nothing , but i would be very curious to know how much hours he worked with Carbo , since the last days .

If the player don't want to come here , it isn't is fault .
And why are the people think that there is soo much money to put on the free agents ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:21 PM
  #23
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D View Post
Question: do you guys think Bob Genuinely doesn't wanna sign any free agents or do you think GG isn't allowing him to?
Not sisgning doesn't mean that he doesn't want to ; that means that he doesn't want to offer 6 millions $ to players like Arnott , or that means that the players don't want to play here .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.